Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,999 members, 7,817,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:50 PM

Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial (5806 Views)

Resign Or Be Sacked From INEC – Ozekhome Warns Amina Zakari / Mutallab Pleads Guilty -- What Next For Him? / Abdul Mutallab's Online Posts! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by citous(m): 4:52pm On Oct 07, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Every registered American is a potential juror.

Do you have a driver license? Are you registered in an academic institute? Is your name in the phone book? etc? There you go.

Dude you are wrong in that, you only have to be a registered voter a(t least in some states) to be available for selection in a trial as a jury. Every state here have a slightly different criteria for their selection of jury pool.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by hagma37yahoocom: 6:30pm On Oct 07, 2011
I dont know why this court case still have to go on this inteligent,briliant,gentle,well behave,humble young man has been brain washed he need rehab to go on with his normal life this brain washer are dangerous and the brain washing could be anyone. US know best what to do for this young nigerian pls friend let come together to save this young engineer he was a victim of circumstance.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by tpia5: 7:17pm On Oct 07, 2011
I repeat, the woman shouldnt have been on the jury to begin with.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by UgoBabe(f): 9:01pm On Oct 07, 2011
Anvaller:

your comment here reflects your level of ignorance. So what u are saying is that a Yoruba muslim is also a terrorist. Have u seen such propensity in them talkless of any record? Any one who will convict the guy does not need to do that on the basis of whether christain or muslim but on the basis of fact. It doesnt matter at all what he believes to have commited that offence and it shouldnt matter at all what the judge or any one involved believes before convicting him of the crime. Is he guilty? - yes then jail him period.

U need to expand your scope I think, its an advice, not to run u down, hope u'd understand.

THANK YOU!!! that was such an ignorant remark, might aswell say if you're black you eat chicken, if you're nigerian you do 419, hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by UgoBabe(f): 9:06pm On Oct 07, 2011
you are right, you can not strike a potential juror because of their race, and once it is established (quite hard to do so and would take more than just saying she was nigerian so she was dismissed) then there are remedies for that

HOWEVER, the attorneys have a certain number of preemptory challenges they can use to dismiss a potential juror without stating a reason, so the striking of this woman would pass as u don't have to give a reason for striking a person from the potential jury,

Ileke-IdI:

They did not give the reason, makes no sense.

Unless she showed any sign of partiality, the law has no right to dismiss her just because of her race/nationality.

I'm sure there is another reason.

But if the reason was sufficient, she would have been dismissed during Voir Dire.

Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by UgoBabe(f): 9:11pm On Oct 07, 2011
aloy/emeka:

One can be excused from a jury if the judge discovers that he/she has a connection or anything that may introduce bias  with the defendant/plaintiff.

that is true but the mere fact that a potential juror is a nigerian is not enought to show any bias, that is tooo much of a stretch, just because a def is jamaican DOES NOT MEAN that jamaicans cannot be impartial and therefore should not be in the jury pool- same applies in this case, its not the case where there are only 5 nigerians in the whole michigan or us for that matter- if that were the case it would be easier to make an argument that the potential juror because of the social dynamics being 1 in 5 would probably appear biased or blah blah blah,

but its hog wash and almost rasict to exclude a nigerian from the pool simply becuase the person is a nigerian
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by UgoBabe(f): 9:16pm On Oct 07, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

my country (the US of Imperialism tongue) is very jacked up. full of hypocrites.
when a victim is black and the perp is white they STILL use white jurors and vice versa.
wtf is this? so because she is Nigerian she will 'automatically vote in his favor'?[color=#000099][/color] tongue angry

had i been old enough and was called for jury duty back when the Jamo guy (Ferguson) went on a shooting spree
in the New York and killed all of those people in the train/subway station, I would have "NAY'ED" his arse angry! Evil is evil, blind is blind and weak is weak. What ever you do you have to suffer the consequences. undecided I am more than sure Nigerians for the most part agree. So why should she be sacked? Sounds like discrimination to me.

true true
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by aloyemeka1: 9:18pm On Oct 07, 2011
UgoBabe:

that is true but the mere fact that a potential juror is a nigerian is not enought to show any bias, that is tooo much of a stretch,  just because a def is jamaican DOES NOT MEAN that jamaicans cannot be impartial and therefore should not be in the jury pool- same applies in this case, its not the case where there are only 5 nigerians in the whole michigan or us for that matter- if that were the case it would be easier to make an argument that the potential juror because of the social dynamics being 1 in 5 would probably appear biased or blah blah blah,

but its hog wash and almost rasict to exclude a nigerian from the pool simply becuase the person is a nigerian

How can you ascertain that Mutallab will get  90% justice when Nigerians are concerned?. Read Nairaland all through and tell me what will happen to his azz if the juror is Igbo/Ijaw/SS/Yoruba Christian or if a Yoruba/Northern muslim is the juror. You may decide to ignore the red light about Nigeria but it's the truth. An Igbo/Southern Christian may not be interested in hearing any argument and it will take him/her 10 seconds to pass "guilty" judgment on him even when the Oyibos in the pool will still be pondering over the evidence. ESPECIALLY if the juror is EITHER[b] Igbo MALE or Yoruba FEMALE[/b]; both are the most bigoted Nigerians one may come across. I speak the truth and will not also hesitate to slam Mutallab with a guilty verdict before his defense lawyer opens his mouth. Chikena
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by UgoBabe(f): 9:19pm On Oct 07, 2011
how do you get that because she is embarrased she will not consider evidence presented to her?  that she will not believe an insanity defense?  you're not making any sense.  you just leaped without looking,

2mch:

She is already biased, she will hang him without considering the facts of the case. The fact that she was embarassed by the incident shows that she will not believe any insanity plea by Mutallab. They need unbiased people, and people that will give Mutallab a "fair" trial. undecided. This is not a racial issue. It might have been on the recommendation of his lawyers. undecided
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by UgoBabe(f): 9:19pm On Oct 07, 2011
tpia@:

I repeat, the woman shouldnt have been on the jury to begin with.

why not??
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by UgoBabe(f): 9:27pm On Oct 07, 2011
aloy/emeka:

How can you ascertain that Mutallab will get 90% justice when Nigerians are concerned?. Read Nairaland all through and tell me what will happen to his azz if the juror is Igbo/Ijaw/SS/Yoruba Christian or if a Yoruba/Northern muslim is the juror. You may decide to ignore the red light about Nigeria but it's the truth. An Igbo/Southern Christian may not be interested in hearing any argument and it will take him/her 10 seconds to pass "guilty" judgment on him even when the Oyibos in the pool will still be pondering over the evidence. ESPECIALLY if the juror is EITHER[b] Igbo MALE or Yoruba FEMALE[/b]; both are the most bigoted Nigerians one may come across. I speak the truth and will not also hesitate to slam Mutallab with a guilty verdict before his defense lawyer opens his mouth. Chikena

STUPIDITY, i see that that may be how you think but to sweep all NIgerians with one brush is where you make your mistake, i for one do not think the way you just outlined and i am a nigerian, my brother does not think the way you outlined- he is another nigerian, i can attest that my christian pastor does not think the way you outlined he is another nigerian, i can go on but time and space will not allow me to, keep genralizing and sterotyping others- thats the way forward (That was sarcasm by the way)

you may choose to find mutallab guilty that is fine - you are entitled to your opinions but don't margenalize how different types of nigerians will responnd based on their tribal affiliation- this is 2011,

and like you there are many others who are non- nigerians who willl find mutallab guilty - and will not sit through evidence to make that conclusion, in fact there were a couple of potential jurors who were struck because they expressed that view while beign questioned by the attorneys so don't make this out to be an IGBO vs IJAW vs YORUBA vs HAUSA type thinking
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by monblaze(f): 12:33am On Oct 08, 2011
there better be a good reason,
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Nobody: 3:15am On Oct 08, 2011
for your info,it was because she said "she felt embarrased on the day the act was shown on TV" which basically sealed her faith cos she showed she was not partial with that statement,she was not the only one removed,she just got attention because she is Nigerian.you should have seen the way CNN and fox reported it like she was related to a terror group.they just made the announcement and gave no reason,it was on msnbc that I got the reason on why she was ejected
she just went thru due process and got eliminated because of her view on the whole incident.they want a jury that has little to no knowledge of the whole thing
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by mensdept: 3:30am On Oct 08, 2011
Unless she protested against the selection, she should have remained. Now we have discrimination and the assumption that Nigerians are terrorist ( if she was dismissed on racial bias).

Next Nigerians wont be allowed to fly from JFK to Dulles, or eat at Mcdonalds se'.

Of course it wont get that far, but what if.

On a second note, I'm sure if she remained, she would have sided with the Oyibos and sent that Arabiic pleasing wanna be hero to jail to get boned in the same butt he he hid the explosives.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Thirst4Lif: 8:39am On Oct 08, 2011
Perhaps, after this woman was interviewed, the defense or prosecuting attorney had a problem with her.

That would have caused her to be dismissed.  But it only goes to show how the U.S. is putting into

motion a prosecution for Mutallab. He can look forward to spending many, many years behing bars.
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by Thirst4Lif: 8:42am On Oct 08, 2011
wtf is this? so because she is Nigerian she will 'automatically vote in his favor'?

Stranger things have happened!
Re: Nigerian Juror Sacked From Mutallab's Trial by BetaThings: 3:21pm On Oct 08, 2011
aloy/emeka:

How can you ascertain that Mutallab will get  90% justice when Nigerians are concerned?. Read Nairaland all through and tell me what will happen to his azz if the juror is Igbo/Ijaw/SS/Yoruba Christian or if a Yoruba/Northern muslim is the juror. You may decide to ignore the red light about Nigeria but it's the truth. An Igbo/Southern Christian may not be interested in hearing any argument and it will take him/her 10 seconds to pass "guilty" judgment on him even when the Oyibos in the pool will still be pondering over the evidence. ESPECIALLY if the juror is EITHER[b] Igbo MALE or Yoruba FEMALE[/b]; both are the most bigoted Nigerians one may come across. I speak the truth and will not also hesitate to slam Mutallab with a guilty verdict before his defense lawyer opens his mouth. Chikena
Actually Nairaland is different from Nigeria
Even NVS is very different from Nairaland
Were the stereotyping in Nairaland correct, I would not have earned the trust of the Christians in my office
Indeed, Nairalanders expect that I would have cut off the head of several of my Christian neighbours

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Sect Kidnapped Frenchman In Katsina / "What We Want" - Boko Haram's ‘representative’, Danladi Ahmadu / Are Nigerians Criminals? Statistics Of Nigerian Prisoners In Britain. - Pic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.