Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,270 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? (17666 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / Evil In The Church; My Experience At Dunamis, Abuja. (pictures) / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by rabzy: 8:38am On Oct 19, 2011
logica:

I like this "Free Will" concept usually thrown around by Christians (I never saw any such thing in the Bible but that's by the way). But can I ask, when "we" get to Heaven, will we have this "Free Will", or does it only apply on Earth?

From what we can deduce from the scriptures all intelligent creatures of God has the free-will to obey or disobey. The first disobedience was from Satan, who is a heavenly creature and there were other angels who used their freewill and joined in rebelling against God. Jesus also mentioned ' not my will but the will of the father'.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by logica(m): 8:44am On Oct 19, 2011
rabzy:

From what we can deduce from the scriptures all intelligent creatures of God has the free-will to obey or disobey. The first disobedience was from Satan, who is a heavenly creature and there were other angels who used their freewill and joined in rebelling against God. Jesus also mentioned ' not my will but the will of the father'.
OK. Now you say Angels have "Free Will". I have read other Christians saying otherwise. Another one of you will come along with another interpretation. This of course is expected - it's like the interpretation of Nostrademus' Coltrane - as varied as the person reading it.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by rabzy: 8:57am On Oct 19, 2011
all4naija:

Didn't Cain get married before Seth was born? Love at your logical interpretation. I still think there were people living among Adam and Eve before they had Cain and Abel. If Seth was to replace Abel, who were those God spoke about to kill Cain after placing a mark on his forehead?

The Bible never said Cain got married before Seth was born, it could have been before and it may have been after, no one knows. Like i said the statement Eve made indicates that as a male child he she now has a replacement for Abel that was killed.
So there is high possibility that she had other kids male and female after Abel was born and before he was killed, then after Abel was killed she may have given birth to female children, then when a male child Seth came along, she declared him to be a replacement for Abel.

The number of years between the birth of Abel and the time to full maturity and his eventual murder by Cain would be sufficient for several kids both male and female to have been born.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by rabzy: 9:08am On Oct 19, 2011
logica:

OK. Now you say Angels have "Free Will". I have read other Christians saying otherwise. Another one of you will come along with another interpretation. This of course is expected - it's like the interpretation of Nostrademus' Coltrane - as varied as the person reading it.

Anybody can say anything, if a christian says they don't have freewill, i will just ask for his scriptural proofs. In all endeavors of man we have been having different interpretation of things. Even Science that is suppose to be exact and experimental with proofs and definite laws, there have been different interpretations of a lot they came up with.
The Big slam theory, universe or multiverse, evolution of man, what is the nature of matter, relativity, rock formation, how fossil oil was formed, is the universe accelerating or decelerating, climate change etc all these are issues that scientists have different interpretations as varied as the person reading it.
So its not surprising that matters of faith and beliefs that can't be tested in a lab should have as varied an interpretation as the person reading it.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 19, 2011
rabzy:

The Bible never said Cain got married before Seth was born, it could have been before and it may have been after, no one knows. Like i said the statement Eve made indicates that as a male child he she now has a replacement for Abel that was killed.
So there is high possibility that she had other kids male and female after Abel was born and before he was killed, then after Abel was killed she may have given birth to female children, then when a male child Seth came along, she declared him to be a replacement for Abel.

The number of years between the birth of Abel and the time to full maturity and his eventual murder by Cain would be sufficient for several kids both male and female to have been born.

Fair and logical enough. If that was to be the case, why didn't the scriptures made mentioned of them? Don't we think something like that complicate the whole story regarding Cain marriage and the mark put on his forehead by God to be killed by who ever saw him on the faces of the earth yet, he survived that God curse.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by rabzy: 7:07am On Oct 20, 2011
all4naija:

Fair and logical enough. If that was to be the case, why didn't the scriptures made mentioned of them? Don't we think something like that complicate the whole story regarding Cain marriage and the mark put on his forehead by God to be killed by who ever saw him on the faces of the earth yet, he survived that God curse.

So many matters and issues in the Bible are like that, for me i believe in the scriptures and where there seems to be discrepancy and controversy, i try and study and make research to get a good or better understanding of the matter.

(Genesis 4:11-15) . . .And now you are cursed in banishment from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood at your hand. 12 When you cultivate the ground, it will not give you back its power. A wanderer and a fugitive you will become in the earth.” 13 At this Cain said to Jehovah: “My punishment for error is too great to carry. 14 Here you are actually driving me this day from off the surface of the ground, and from your face I shall be concealed; and I must become a wanderer and fugitive on the earth, and it is certain that anyone finding me will kill me.” 15 At this Jehovah said to him: “For that reason anyone killing Cain must suffer vengeance seven times.”. . .

There was a curse on the ground because of the sin of Adam, in the case of cain who was a farmer the curse was increased, such that Cain would never be a successful farmer. Then he was also to continue wandering for life, he would be a fugitive always afraid to stay in a place fearing for his life. These were the punishment that Cain said was too great to bear, so he begged for mercy and God said he need not be afraid for his life anymore, anyone avenging the death of Abel on Cain would have to suffer a greater vengeance. This was a decree God made to all other humans, to prevent them from killing cain. That was why he survived the curse.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^^^
Okay but what I deduce from further reading of your message is questionable. What makes you think the name of God is Jehovah? How did Adam sin makes God to curse the earth? It is interesting, to say the least, when looking at those stories.

However, many things don't just add up in the scriptures, that is the fact!
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by rabzy: 2:49pm On Oct 20, 2011
Part of Adam's punishment was that he is going to toil hard before he feeds himself, the land was not going to be as fruitful as it was in the garden. I did not think the name of God is Jehovah, that is what i read from the scriptures. its the closest translation or transliteration of the divine name YHWH in English.

A lot of people wants the Bible to be explicit on so many subjects, so as to quell their doubts, questions and other issues. A lot of these issues are just raised to criticize the Bible, some others need you to have faith to believe.

But the fact is people who wants to question will always raise questions, we can discuss some of these issues together one-on-one if you wish, we might be able to reach a common ground or middle ground on some of them.

cheers.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 20, 2011
@rabzy

From the way you reason with people proves you are a Jehovah witness? Anyway, no matter what, the scriptures don't just add up!That's a FACT!
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by rabzy: 4:00pm On Oct 20, 2011
Yes, i am a Jehovah's Witnesses. The day i believe the scriptures don't add up and that its a fraud is the day i stop being a Christian. I have read enough of it for me to believe and affirm that it is inspired of God and beneficial for all mankind.

Cheers man.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by billyG(m): 11:12pm On Dec 06, 2011
May God strike all of you insulting him with madness b4 ti yr runs out. cry cry cry
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 1:19am On Dec 07, 2011
^^^
Huh! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by impact24(m): 6:25pm On Aug 20, 2012
he may av a special reason which wud av bin known if man didnt disobey.and point of correction God didnt know he deal with man protectin him from the devil nd wat if its a test let me let u know dat though our actions are forseen by him bt nt d outcome our test for dat's can only be controled bt d outcome is our personal decision
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by TarryFour: 1:59am On May 06, 2013
Start your journey for the truth about creation from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SScUw9L0TZc
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by seekingtruth(m): 11:30pm On May 20, 2013
harakiri: As EVIL BRAIN suggested, it's best for you to turn off your brain now coz questions like these will only keep diminishing your belief in religion. If you choose to continue, add these few to the list :

(1) Why did the biblical god require Abraham to sacrifice his only son (that was gotten at old age) as a sign of faith? What if Abraham had succeeded in killing him? What kind of proof of faith is that? Even the boko haramists are not that cruel. Even if he didn't kill his son, the psychological damage has already been done both to father and son. If Abraham was your father, would you ever forgive him for that? In today's world, wouldn't such a man called a lunatic and sent to prison?

(2) Why did the biblical god have to sacrifice his son for the sins of creatures he supposedly created? Why couldn't he just forgive them or better yet, "reboot" the entire creation and fix the errors called sin? Why does he call himself a good,kind and loving god and yet, condemns his own supposed creation to eternal damnation for sins that were caused by his own creation (the serpent). If he is the all knowing god, then he should have known that humans would be tempted and they would fall. Why condemn them for his incompetence and lack of foresight? Does that sound like an all knowing god to you? Sounds more like the thinking of a sun scorched deranged goat herder from the middle east.

(3) Why are sins like ince$t condemned by death in the OT and yet,Lot slept with his two daughters and NOTHINH happened!

(4)How come homo$exuality is condemned by the bible and yet, David and Jonathan are exceptions. You doubt me? The bible clearly says they embraced,wept and after they had exhausted themselves, one of them cried out "The love you have shown me today exceeds that of women" !

Pause for a second and process all that.

I'll be back! ! !
Evil brain, the Bible is an evil book written by some schemers that makes the right thinking guys to ridicule God. God isn't what the Bible says He is.
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by seekingtruth(m): 11:34pm On May 20, 2013
TarryFour: Start your journey for the truth about creation from here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SScUw9L0TZc
is Jesus a police?
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 5:29am On May 21, 2013
The story is simply a metaphor.
It represents the ultimate test we all face daily when it comes to temptation... logic/obedience vs. emotions/rebelliousness

The Garden of Eden I have heard represented earth, some say even Africa - which makes sense and would make an excellent topic on another thread tongue

but in my opinion, in this context this "tree" represents the core of humanity.
or the decisions we make which separate us from other "beasts" of the world..

#conscience
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by Nobody: 5:36am On May 21, 2013
seeking@truth:
is Jesus a police?

grin
Re: Why Did God Put The Tree Of Good And Evil In The Garden Of Eden? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:11am On May 21, 2013
The genesis story is a fairy tale

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can A Pastor Show Christ-Love To Female Members Without Flirting With Them? / If Evolution Was Untrue. / Pope Francis Appoints Jonas Benson Okoye As Bishop Of Nnewi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.