Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,270 members, 7,811,782 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? (18566 Views)

Genotype: I'm The Only One Still Living In This Picture - Man / Wives Living In Nigeria And Husbands Abroad: My Encounter / The Poor People In Nigeria Are A Terrible Lot- Nigerian Lady Says, Gives Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by NVera(f): 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2023
Good day everyone.
With the unbelievable increments in almost everything in Nigeria, how does the poor survive?

Most people were complaining when petrol was #200plus, now it is #600plus.

A bag of rice can barely be purchased by the average family, some people are being paid peanuts as salaries, they are barely surviving.

With hope they keep believing things will be better, but the price of basic things keeps skyrocketing as if armed men are chasing them.

How do people earning #20,000, #30,000 per month survive? Some families with 3 to 4 kids, how will they survive?

The cost of daily transport alone is killing, do our leaders ever consider those living below par, how they survive?

The poor are getting poorer, everyone is complaining, people are frustrated, most people can barely see what to eat.

The poor among us, what should they do? Because with all this it's just like they are saying the poor should go and die.

144 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by taylor89(m): 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2023
undecided

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Jul 19, 2023
NVera:
How do people earning #20,000, #30,000 per month survive? Some families with 3 to 4 kids, how will they survive?
The cost of daily transport alone is killing, do our leaders ever consider those living below par, how they survive?
■ The poor are getting poorer, everyone is complaining, people are frustrated, most people can barely see what to eat. The poor among us, what should they do? Because with all this it's just like they are saying the poor should go and die
The country has been trading national progress for the sake of the poor for decades now and what has been the response from the poor in that time? To breed and multiply like rats. The population of Nigeria is expected to Ballon to over about 370 million in the next 25 years if current trend continues. Before the removal of subsides , the situation was already bad for the poor. Do you think it is going to get better 25 years from now if no drastic changes are made to correct the many problems in the country now? undecided

2. The poor need to change. And adversity typically presents the best opportunity for the change needed. undecided

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by eepeepook: 5:53pm On Jul 19, 2023
The weak will die. The physically strong will survive. Taking long walks instead of transportation will mold a fit nation. Hopefully the hardship will hammer commonsense into the average citizen. Subsistence farming will become commonplace.

111 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:54pm On Jul 20, 2023
NVera:
Good day everyone.
With the unbelievable increments in almost everything in Nigeria, how does the poor survive?
A bag of rice can barely be purchased by the average family, some people are being paid peanuts as salaries, they are barely surviving. With hope they keep believing things will be better, but the price of basic things keeps skyrocketing as if armed men are chasing them.
The poor are getting poorer, everyone is complaining, people are frustrated, most people can barely see what to eat.

The poor among us, what should they do? Because with all this it's just like they are saying the poor should go and die.

It's quite saddening to imagine what such people are currently going through in Nigeria.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:58pm On Jul 20, 2023
Kobojunkie:
The country has been trading national progress for the sake of the poor for decades now and what has been the response from the poor in that time? To breed and multiply like rats. The population of Nigeria is expected to Ballon to over about 370 million in the next 25 years if current trend continues. Before the removal of subsides , the situation was already bad for the poor. Do you think it is going to get back 25 years from now if no drastic changes are made to correct the many problems in the country now? undecided

2. The poor need to change. And adversity typically presents the best opportunity for the change needed. undecided

Stop this thrash; the so-called drastic changes are not going to improve their lives.
Nothing good will come out of them.
The people are just going to suffer in vain eventually, and that's very unfortunate.

94 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Kobojunkie: 2:01pm On Jul 20, 2023
ChybuzzDD:
■ Stop this thrash; the so-called drastic changes are not going to improve their lives.
■ Nothing good will come of them.The people are just going to suffer in vain eventually, and that's very unfortunate.
■ You dey read at all? The changes are for the betterment of the country not just the section of the country that is poor. It is left to the poor to choose whether rise or die at this point. Nigeria cannot and should not keep lagging all for the sake of the poor. The poor need to step up. undecided

2. Well, if people continue to live as they did before now... multiplying like rats, and living foolishly--- of course suffering will remain their lot. However, if people decide to finally cut coats according to their size --- commonsense --- then their is hope. I am not against the poor but the country was not built only for them and the poor need to help themselves at this point. undecided

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by VTJN(m): 3:41pm On Jul 20, 2023
I don tire

5 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by pansophist(m): 1:33am On Jul 21, 2023
If this subsidy removal will reduce the birth rate of Nigeria, then it served it's purposes. I mean, how can our population tripled in just sixty years?

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by frozen70(f): 1:56am On Jul 21, 2023
NVera:
Good day everyone.
A bag of rice can barely be purchased by the average family, some people are being paid peanuts as salaries, they are barely surviving. With hope they keep believing things will be better, but the price of basic things keeps skyrocketing as if armed men are chasing them.

Funny as it is, no body will die out of hunger

The poor are already used to hard times and they already know how to survive this harsh condition because they are floating already since they don't have a standard

The rich suffers it more because they already have a standard and are finding it difficult to fall below standard because of class and position in the society

So in all, we must limit the number of children to two or three no matter our income

Then we can adjust in other things that bother on family

In my own case and for the past 10yrs now I and my hubby have cut down our expenses through combine cooperations

I have three children so I already prepared for it

For going to about two months now, I don't drive my car again to work but just to church

I don't go visiting people anyhow, we can chat or call unless when needed

I don't run Gen again at night, once we take dinner by 6/7pm, you are free to go to bed and if it must be on, just 1hr and you do whatever you need it for immediately

I regulates electricity at home because of prepaid meter and my husband makes sure we don't on unnecessary lights

I cook and store in the freezer to avoid going to the market all the time

I eat twice a day to save cost

I stopped watching tiktok because of wasting of my data

I un-installed candy crush because it sucks my data

Honestly, I have to cut down on so many things and still willing to cut down or more

With the above, I am not really feeling the harsh economy though because I have already cut down my cost of running my family during Jonathan's regime and am use to it before this shege Promax regime

The bottom line is that we must help ourselves

164 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by QuinModah(f): 7:50am On Jul 21, 2023
Awalokan

6 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by FalseProphet1(m): 8:18am On Jul 21, 2023
This rising cost of living in Nigeria will favour me and my family.

This I have seen.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Klass99(f): 10:55am On Jul 21, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by FalseProphet1(m): 11:02am On Jul 21, 2023
Klass99:
What family are you talking about? Is it your family of parents and siblings, or the one of wife and children, you and I are going to create........in your dreams? grin

How are you? I see you are not looking for tithes to collect today.
It's the one you and I are going to create in reality. I don't know why you're still doing shakara you're supposed to be pregnant with our first daughter by now. Yes I want a daughter as first born then sons to follow so she can play mom role to them whenever we're prophesying in church. smiley

I'm fine o, I'm even planing on increasing the tithes to 20% since everything is going up, tithes too should go up. How can people be paying 10% for over 3 thousand years and be completely comfortable with it. That's wickedness. 😩

16 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Klass99(f): 11:46am On Jul 21, 2023
Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by FalseProphet1(m): 1:46pm On Jul 21, 2023
Klass99:
Lol 🤣, has the good Lord complained to you that 10% over 3,000 years is no longer enough or beneficial for kingdom business on earth?

Me, pregnant with our first child? In your delusions! You and who will prophesy in church? This cali weed is loud today sha!! grin
My lovely wife, the Lord doesn't need to complain. David said in the Bible I wouldn't give to God an offering that cost me nothing. God didn't ask him to give anything, he knew that the God he's serving is a big God so he gave him the best. This is why I'm saying that 10% tithing must be reviewed, and something must be added to it. The more you give to God the more he would bless you.

Ah! Don't you want to get pregnant, I can't wait to stuff our beautiful daughter inside you. And don't worry I'll teach you how to prophesy, just buy a bell on your way home, and learn how to twerk. Then by 12midnight, start ringing the bell vigorously and twerk with all your strength, the prophesies would start coming. smiley

12 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Norano: 4:38am On Jul 22, 2023
The subsidy removal can never decrease birth rate we all know that but choose to play ignorant.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by ecolime(m): 7:04am On Jul 22, 2023
Even the comfortable, rich and wealthy classes are not finding it easy. The poor definitely cannot breathe.

Advice to everyone:

1. Find legitimate ways to improve your earnings

2. Cut down your expenses.

3. Rent shops or offices close to your homes.

4. Celebrate only Landmark birthdays in big ways.

5. Get remote jobs. Let it take precedence over onsite roles.

6. Hunt for international jobs. Earning in foreign currency is the real deal now.

7. Anything more than 3 children na problem.

8. Have a side hustle and market your goods/services aggressively online.

9. If your business doesn't depend on electricity, you have no business switching on the generator during the day. For home use, 7pm to 10pm is enough.

10. Lastly, if you work remotely, relocate to cheaper states. You have no business living in Lagos, Abuja, Rivers, etc. unless you own your house.

Free free to add more

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by NVera(f): 7:39am On Jul 22, 2023
pansophist:
If this subsidy removal will reduce the birth rate of Nigeria, then it served it's purposes. I mean, how can our population tripled in just sixty years?

But if the removal of the subsidy is a strategy to control population/birthrate, aren't they doing it the wrong way? This method will obviously not work, they should have started with health education by creating awareness in churches and mosques (majority of Nigerians tend to listen to their religious head) and introducing free family planning services around the communities.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Kobojunkie: 1:34pm On Jul 22, 2023
NVera:
■ But if the removal of the subsidy is a strategy to control population/birthrate, aren't they doing it the wrong way? This method will obviously not work, they should have started with health education by creating awareness in churches and mosques (majority of Nigerians tend to listen to their religious head) and introducing free family planning services around the communities.
I doubt if those implementing subsidy removal are even concerned with population control. If we are to go with how things typically work in Nigeria, I would say their major concern is to remove artificial measures keeping prices down in order to free resources for development elsewhere. undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by being(m): 3:38pm On Jul 22, 2023
Some people here are putting all the blame on the poor. The fact is the government is a major factor in their woes. For instance, u a banker doing your job diligently, why is your purchasing power lower today than 8 years ago? Is that your fault? No! Same with the poor. We have more than 60% below poverty line- are all of them lazy or dumb?
If the government doesn't put in motion activities that increase local production and increase exports, then u will keep having the same situation!!

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by NVera(f): 8:24pm On Jul 22, 2023
Kobojunkie:
I doubt if those implementing subsidy removal are even concerned with population control. If we are to go with how things typically work in Nigeria, I would say their major concern is to remove artificial measures keeping prices down in order to free resources for development elsewhere. undecided
We all know if they get any money from the removal of subsidy, it won't go into any development, it's just to enrich politicians.
They are just frustrating people (Nigerians) for no geniue reason.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Kobojunkie: 8:41pm On Jul 22, 2023
NVera:
We all know if they get any money from the removal of subsidy, it won't go into any development, it's just to enrich politicians. They are just frustrating people (Nigerians) for no geniue reason.
Most likely but the reason this continues has to do with the fact that Nigerians are divided as far as what they truly want and that division is what continues to embolden them. undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by RepoMan007: 6:10am On Jul 23, 2023
Social values are like spells. They control peoples' actions and inactions to far reaching extents.

In Nigeria, many noble vocations and businesses have been relegated socially. The unexplainable love for office job with official car and AC is one of our undoing.

Lack of emphasis on productivity also is another. We emphasize making easy money over getting useful things done with wisdom and technology.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Olamilekxy(m): 12:29pm On Oct 01, 2023
pansophist:

What!!!
Saw government sponsor group ( oyo state) advocating for birth control on the street this week and they're doing it to people for free.

i was like how did we get here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by chigator2: 12:39pm On Oct 01, 2023
Cc
Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by stylishwears: 12:39pm On Oct 01, 2023
Nigeria will be great again
Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by IketownNigeria: 12:40pm On Oct 01, 2023
Let them suffer , bunch of tribalists

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by owiko(m): 12:41pm On Oct 01, 2023
G
Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by drimzsmoke(m): 12:41pm On Oct 01, 2023
NVera:
Good day everyone.

A bag of rice can barely be purchased by the average family, some people are being paid peanuts as salaries, they are barely surviving.

With hope they keep believing things will be better, but the price of basic things keeps skyrocketing as if armed men are chasing them.

We are about to die oooo!!! sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Should Micheal Essien (of Chelsea FC) Support His Father More? / Appeal To All: Feminism /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.