Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? (18584 Views)

Genotype: I'm The Only One Still Living In This Picture - Man / Wives Living In Nigeria And Husbands Abroad: My Encounter / The Poor People In Nigeria Are A Terrible Lot- Nigerian Lady Says, Gives Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Hedonisco: 12:42pm On Oct 01, 2023
They're not poor enough. Let them suffer until they receive sense.

6 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by jojothaiv(m): 12:44pm On Oct 01, 2023
FalseProphet1:
This rising cost of living in Nigeria will favour me and my family.

This I have seen.
Then you've seen nothing..

Frugality all the way.

Norano:
The subsidy removal can never decrease birth rate we all know that but choose to play ignorant.
Well, the sensible ones will have no option to explore favorable option..
Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by braine(m): 12:44pm On Oct 01, 2023
Especially those with families.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by RepoMan007: 12:45pm On Oct 01, 2023
eepeepook:
The weak will die. The physically strong will survive. Taking long walks instead of transportation will mold a fit nation. Hopefully the hardship will hammer commonsense into the average citizen. Subsistence farming will become commonplace.
The problem with this demonic doctrine is that most of those surviving are the lazy unproductive elements among us who seem to have perfected how to destroy working class to survive. That's leaves the production of goods in jeopardy and the system will eventually collapse.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by obinna58(m): 12:47pm On Oct 01, 2023
frozen70:

Funny as it is, no body will die out of hunger

The poor are already used to hard times and they already know how to survive this harsh condition because they are floating already since they don't have a standard

The rich suffers it more because they already have a standard and are finding it difficult to fall below standard because of class and position in the society

So in all, we must limit the number of children to two or three no matter our income

Then we can adjust in other things that bother on family

In my own case and for the past 10yrs now I and my hubby have cut down our expenses through combine cooperations

I have three children so I already prepared for it

For going to about two months now, I don't drive my car again to work but just to church

I don't go visiting people anyhow, we can chat or call unless when needed

I don't run Gen again at night, once we take dinner by 6/7pm, you are free to go to bed and if it must be on, just 1hr and you do whatever you need it for immediately

I regulates electricity at home because of prepaid meter and my husband makes sure we don't on unnecessary lights

I cook and store in the freezer to avoid going to the market all the time

I eat twice a day to save cost

I stopped watching tiktok because of wasting of my data

I un-installed candy crush because it sucks my data

Honestly, I have to cut down on so many things and still willing to cut down or more

With the above, I am not really feeling the harsh economy though because I have already cut down my cost of running my family during Jonathan's regime and am use to it before this shege Promax regime

The bottom line is that we must help ourselves

Shey you get sisters? Refer them to us abeg grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by sejere: 12:47pm On Oct 01, 2023
Please kind hearted people.
I need assistance at this time to be able to provide food for my kids.
Every efforts on this will be appreciated.

Nothing is too small and God will bless you.

Thank you.

Opay
Stanley
Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Maga123: 12:48pm On Oct 01, 2023
It was before during and after 2023 election i discovered that the common man in nigeria has not suffered enough.except for Gods intervention this is just like warming up the pain hunger suffering has not started

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by ThiefnubuBandit(f): 12:49pm On Oct 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
■ You dey read at all? The changes are for the betterment of the country not just the section of the country that is poor. It is left to the poor to choose whether rise or die at this point. Nigeria cannot and should not keep lagging all for the sake of the poor. The poor need to step up. undecided

2. Well, if people continue to live as they did before now... multiplying like rats, and living foolishly--- of course suffering will remain their lot. However, if people decide to finally cut coats according to their size --- commonsense --- then their is hope. I am not against the poor but the country was not built only for them and the poor need to help themselves at this point. undecided

Shut up!!! You will always defend stupid policies just for peanuts thrown at you. Most of you young people in Africa reason with your feet.

7 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Christistruth00: 12:50pm On Oct 01, 2023
Unfortunately the Poor will cope as they have always coped successfully in the Past

When Push comes to Shove the Nigerian Poor always go back to Agriculture

Agriculture has always been the Friend of the Nigerian Poor

It feeds them, it clothes them, and it keeps them alive

That has always been their safety net since time immemorial

Nigeria still has 200 Million mouths to feed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by jojothaiv(m): 12:50pm On Oct 01, 2023
ecolime:
Even the comfortable, rich and wealthy classes are not finding it easy. The poor definitely cannot breathe.

Advice to everyone:

1. Find legitimate ways improve your earnings

2. Cut down your expenses.

3. Rent shops or offices close to your homes.

4. Celebrate only Landmark birthdays in big ways.

5. Get remote jobs. Let it take precedence over onsite roles.

6. Hunt for international jobs. Earning in foreign currency us the real deal now.

7. Anything more than 3 children na problem.

8. Have a side hustle and market your goods/services aggressively online.

9. If your business doesn't depend on electricity, you have no business switching on the generator during the day. For home use 7pm to 10pm in enough.

10. Lastly, if you work remotely, relocate to cheaper states. You have no business living in Lagos, Abuja, Rivers, etc. unless you own your own house.

Free free to add more
You see that last part na wetin most Lagosians no wan hear be that.

8 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by JuanDeDios: 12:51pm On Oct 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
The country has been trading national progress for the sake of the poor for decades now and what has been the response from the poor in that time? To breed and multiply like rats. The population of Nigeria is expected to Ballon to over about 370 million in the next 25 years if current trend continues. Before the removal of subsides , the situation was already bad for the poor. Do you think it is going to get better 25 years from now if no drastic changes are made to correct the many problems in the country now? undecided

2. The poor need to change. And adversity typically presents the best opportunity for the change needed. undecided
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Babamide(m): 12:51pm On Oct 01, 2023
eepeepook:
The weak will die. The physically strong will survive. Taking long walks instead of transportation will mold a fit nation. Hopefully the hardship will hammer commonsense into the average citizen. Subsistence farming will become commonplace.
Your first statement reminds me of Gotham.
There would always be the lower class. The major lessons to learn are to keep your head up, mind your business (the business that pays you), cut your coat according to your size, and expect sunny and rainy days,
The usual Nigerian saying, one day e go better.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Dpen11(f): 12:54pm On Oct 01, 2023
Who knows
Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by frozen70(f): 12:54pm On Oct 01, 2023
obinna58:

Shey you get sisters? Refer them to us abeg grin

Lol
, I understand your request
The truth is that this current generation are all dreaming of sweet life without hassle

So I will advise you start from day one to imbibe them in ruining of the home, no matter the little contribution, it will give them sense of belonging and they will feel the pinch of the economy too

So, when you say plan with the little we have, she will understand the meaning

3 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Blitzking: 12:54pm On Oct 01, 2023
eepeepook:
. We don't need subsistence farming in this age and time what we need is govt enabled mechanised farming to feed the nation..one person can feed 10000

6 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by RepoMan007: 12:55pm On Oct 01, 2023
being:
Some people here are putting all the blame on the poor. The fact is the government is a major factor in their woes. For instance, u a banker doing your job diligently, why is your purchasing power lower today than 8 years ago? Is that your fault? No! Same with the poor. We have more than 60% below poverty line- are all of them lazy or dumb?
If the government doesn't put in motion activities that increase local production and increase exports, then u will keep having the same situation!!
A banker who produced same level he was before his replsponsibilty triples is regressing.

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by mekuso89(m): 12:55pm On Oct 01, 2023
pansophist:
If this subsidy removal will reduce the birth rate of Nigeria, then it served it's purposes. I mean, how can our population tripled in just sixty years?

Which year were you born?

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by CLEVABOY(m): 12:56pm On Oct 01, 2023
I only ate once yesterday. I have not eaten since morning. It is well, someday things will be ok

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Omoluabi16(m): 12:57pm On Oct 01, 2023
frozen70:

The poor are already used to hard times and they already know how to survive this harsh condition because they are floating already since they don't have a standard

The rich suffers it more because they already have a standard and are finding it difficult to fall below standard because of class and position in the society

So in all, we must limit the number of children to two or three no matter our income

In my own case and for the past 10yrs now I and my hubby have cut down our expenses through combine cooperations

For going to about two months now, I don't drive my car again to work but just to church

I don't run Gen again at night, once we take dinner by 6/7pm, you are free to go to bed and if it must be on, just 1hr and you do whatever you need it for immediately

I regulates electricity at home because of prepaid meter and my husband makes sure we don't on unnecessary lights

Honestly, I have to cut down on so many things and still willing to cut down or more

With the above, I am not really feeling the harsh economy though because I have already cut down my cost of running my family during Jonathan's regime and am use to it before this shege Promax regime

I really don't agree with you about the poor not having standard, or not being affected by the worsening economy. But I like your practical way of cutting your coat, plugging every leakage.

8 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by annyz: 12:58pm On Oct 01, 2023
Let's wait for Reno for answer.......
Till date he never commented on the fake Chicago University certificate saga.

Always carrying Obi matter for head like gala

3 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Tobest94: 12:58pm On Oct 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
The country has been trading national progress for the sake of the poor for decades now and what has been the response from the poor in that time? To breed and multiply like rats. The population of Nigeria is expected to Ballon to over about 370 million in the next 25 years if current trend continues. Before the removal of subsides , the situation was already bad for the poor. Do you think it is going to get better 25 years from now if no drastic changes are made to correct the many problems in the country now? undecided

2. The poor need to change. And adversity typically presents the best opportunity for the change needed. undecided
only a fool
Will blame population for low development. We’re not even as many as other countries that are well developed. Standard of living is too low, and there’s no tangible growth or development done by the government. If there’s safety/security, do you know that sports when properly promoted by the government can give us millions of employment?

4 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Christistruth00: 12:58pm On Oct 01, 2023
CLEVABOY:
I only ate once yesterday. I have not eaten since morning. It is well, someday things will be ok

Start some backyard Agriculture

2 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by PlsStayAlive: 12:59pm On Oct 01, 2023
frozen70:

May Allah help me meet and marry a woman like this, ameen.

2 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Funflipper: 1:00pm On Oct 01, 2023
NVera:
Good day everyone.
With the unbelievable increments in almost everything in Nigeria, how does the poor survive?

Most people were complaining when petrol was #200plus, now it is #600plus.

A bag of rice can barely be purchased by the average family, some people are being paid peanuts as salaries, they are barely surviving.

With hope they keep believing things will be better, but the price of basic things keeps skyrocketing as if armed men are chasing them.

How do people earning #20,000, #30,000 per month survive? Some families with 3 to 4 kids, how will they survive?

The cost of daily transport alone is killing, do our leaders ever consider those living below par, how they survive?

The poor are getting poorer, everyone is complaining, people are frustrated, most people can barely see what to eat.

The poor among us, what should they do? Because with all this it's just like they are saying the poor should go and die.

Take a closer look and you will see that the poor you refer to are not only poor financially, they are poor mentally and foolish. They know very little about being a successful person and that is the reason why they would rather rush to buy iPhone 11 and tokunboh cars instead of coming up with ways to double that money.

5 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Brushstrokes20: 1:01pm On Oct 01, 2023
eBOLA don't give a Fvck grin
# the shyyythole from fry pan to fire 🔥

And for those moorons defending eBOLA via population control propaganda , CHINA'S HUGE POPULATION ( X6) of Nigeria's is a BLESSING to them and not a curse!

Nig is yet to get it right as regards leadership!
KHAKISTOCRACY is Nigeria's BANE!

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by Lance008(m): 1:04pm On Oct 01, 2023
Which kind thing be all this one and to be honest it doesn't get easier
Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by blowjohn(m): 1:06pm On Oct 01, 2023
Sardine na 650 naira.

Was wondering what was up when I saw sardine doing winning promo in tv.

Many places na 700 naira sef.

Something I last bought for 250 naira

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by nairalanda1(m): 1:06pm On Oct 01, 2023
Ah well, Nigerians are not really interested in why we are poor.

All these discussions end up being at the end of the day used by whoever is in oppositon to hit the ruling government with it. I remember how we used to have these discussions when GEJ was in power, and even when the Army was in power. Well, the people who were using the discussions to hit the Army took over, and we continued to depreciate. And the folk who use to hit GEJ with this arguments took over, and see where we are.

Nigeria is broke because the concept of independence was sold to us as the 'We would be in charge of our own money, therefore we would have more and more money for all of you'. The problem was, the money was never enough. Still, we kept on selling and sharing money, and building up projects....until we started taking loans to feed the need for more and more money.

Now, we could have done what South Korea did in the 1960's , and focused on heavy duty industrial development, to the point that we would have grown into an indstrial exporter. We did do some of that...but as you can see...

Nigeria's problem is, we have used the money of future generations to spend on welfare projects like subsides, free stuff, etc. We have also looted a lot of money into the bargain, and spent it on a lot of stuff. We have also entrenched corruption....and we have also developed an economy that is far too dependent on imported goods and services.

And right now, we are paying the price for being a 'welfare economy'

And it is not just Nigeria. Every African country has that same problem. Even SA. When SA became independent in 1910, they should have focused on using its large labour population to develop a huge indstrial base. Instead, they spent more money on white people and less money on black people. That fuelled the liberation movement....and by the time the lib movement took over in 1994, the black majority rejoiced. They had suffered, now it was time to enjoy. The result...mass welfare , at the expense of heavy duty debt.

If we do not change how we run this economy, if we do not become an industrial economy that exports, we are going to have this problem forever.

Forget PDP, APC, Tinubu, Obi and Atiku and company. Forget tribe, Nigeria must industrialize. We must rise up, and industrialise, or we would forever be infront of the IMF's door asking for more loans. Oil money cannot sustain us, even if we remove corruption and looting.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by cococandy(f): 1:06pm On Oct 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Most likely but the reason this continues has to do with the fact that Nigerians are divided as far as what they truly want and that division is what continues to embolden them. undecided

This part I agree with. We can’t stand together and hold our leaders accountable as one united country because we just can’t overlook tribe and ethnicity.

However I’m not one for blaming the poor people. There’s literally nothing they can do to alleviate the situation as it is now. Maybe in the past I would have agreed on having less kids as the solution (yes even now having less kids is ideal) but we are way past that. single childless adults are feeling the heat too. This is on a different level.

2 Likes

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by maasoap(m): 1:07pm On Oct 01, 2023
Kobojunkie:

And you think govt abdicating its responsibilities isn't the way to go? No good roads, no water provision, corruption everywhere, no accces to mortgage, loan, health insurance. Subsidies is gone too! What exactly is the responsibility of the Nigeria government at the moment?

1 Like

Re: Rising Cost Of Living In Nigeria, What Of The Poor Among Us? by blowjohn(m): 1:08pm On Oct 01, 2023
Eve the poor are becoming more fooolishly poor in the brain.
Imagine the so called guy man wey never chop dey spend money on top weed, drinks and earrings

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Living In Nigeria Without A Job, How Are You Enjoying The Holidays? (photos) / / Five Best Ways To Punish A Woman If You Don't Want To Beat Or Abuse Her Physical

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.