Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,010 members, 7,953,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:15 AM

'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' (8168 Views)

Tompolo Not Bigger Than Nigeria; He Must Be Arrested – Keyamo / Anti-corruption War Is Non-negotiable, Buhari Replies Jonathan’s Ministers / For Those Of Us Seriously Beating The Drum Of War. Is This What We Really Want? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Relax101(m): 4:26pm On Oct 08, 2011
Declaration Of A Libyan Returnee ‘libya At War Better Than Nigeria At Peace!

East or west’ as the saying goes, ‘home is the best.’ However, this doesn’t seem to old water for this Nigerian who was forced home by the recent uprising in Libya.
“For my present situation and condition now, I prefer war-ravaged Libya to Nigeria. I am a welder by profession and as a welder in Libya, I was better off than being a welder in Nigeria.” These were the words of Adebayo Samuel Adesina, who was in the first batch of returnees from Libya in March this year after a six-year sojourn in the north African country.

Adesina, 41, told Daily Sun in a chat that he regretted coming back to Nigeria in the wake of the war in Libya because, according to him, despite the crisis in that country, life was by far better for him than in Nigeria where there is no war.
He said he came back to Nigeria out of fear of the war only for him to realise later that there are safer places in Libya where he could have remained to do his business or work, adding that there, both Muslims and Christians worship only on Fridays and everybody is friendly.

He further noted that he had also worked in a construction company but later picked up a job as a chief steward in a restaurant in Benghazi city where he earned 3, 500 Dinars, equivalent of N3, 500 daily, bringing his salary to N105, 000 a month.
But when he attempted to get a job in Nigeria, he was offered N6, 000 a month, insisting that it was grossly inadequate to cater for himself and his family.

Hear him: “Since I came back to Nigeria, I have not found a job to do yet. In fact, I feel like going back to Libya. I think I prefer life in Libya to Nigeria despite the crisis there. Yes! I prefer it because once I have my documents, I think there is nothing to fear. Even in a city like Sabha down south, there was not much problem there but I did not know on time; if I had known, I don’t think anything would have brought me back to this country.

“How I wish I could go back to Libya now. If I have money, I will still go back there; I prefer Libya. I prefer to go back. For my situation now, I prefer war-ravaged Libya to Nigeria. I am a welder by profession, and as a welder in Libya, I was better off than being a welder in Nigeria. Few days ago, I tried to get a welding job with a brewery company in Kaduna but I was surprised when they said they offered me N6, 000.00 per month. For God’s sake, what will I do with N6, 000.00 a month? I have a family to take care of so, what am I going to do with N6, 000.00. Paying a welder N6, 000.00, to a man, 41, married with a child?

“I am from Ogun State. I was among the first set of Nigerians that the Federal Government brought back from Libya in March this year. One of my friends that we simply call Kingsley went back to Libya recently and when I spoke with him on phone he told me that he was doing fine but when I later spoke with him another time, somebody else picked his phone and told me that the person I am calling was in prison for supporting former president Col. Gaddafi. I told the man, who picked the phone, that he was telling lies; no Nigerian is supporting Gaddafi. Probably my friend’s permit documents have expired. The people we heard, who are supporting Gaddafi are Chadians.

“The Federal Government did not give us money when we returned to Nigeria but we heard that the United Nations allocated some money to us. But other people from countries like Ghana, Burkina Faso, and Mali were given $400 by their respective governments as soon as they arrived home. But here in Nigeria, we were maltreated as soon as the officials heard that we were from Libya. Even ordinary water we did not get from Nigerian Government.”

“Apart from my friend, there are still other Nigerians in Libya who are doing well there without being molested. So why did they decide to molest and accuse my friend that just went back there recently of supporting Gaddafi. I don’t blame my friend for going back to that country because life is difficult in Nigeria, in fact, supposing I have enough money on me now, I would have gone back to Libya. I can’t just understand what is going on in Nigeria.

“I was living in Benghazi since 2005; I was working in a road construction company. I came back to Nigeria in 2008 when I was given my annual leave. I went back in 2009, and I decided to work in a restaurant, and to God be the glory, I was doing fine, until the war started. I have my resident permit. The owner of the restaurant did the resident permits for me.

“I was a chief steward in the restaurant where I was earning N105, 000.00 per month because my daily payment was 35 Dinars Libya currency. Its naira equivalent is N3, 500.00 daily. And those under me as their chief steward were being paid 25 Dinars, which is equivalent of N2, 500.00 daily. If it were in Nigeria, I would probably be earning N6, 000.00 or N16, 000.00 a month. You can see that the difference is clear between our country and Libya. I was actually better off working in a restaurant than in a construction company.

“If you are living in Libya as a foreigner, and your documents are genuine and complete, the people will accommodate you; their security is very good. As long as you are not there to do dubious things or to create problem, the people don’t have problem with you, they lead a normal life. No policeman will embarrass you.“There are churches in Libya, everybody is allowed to practise their own religion; you go to mosque as a Muslim, and you go to church as a Christian. But Christians are not allowed to worship on Sundays, only on Fridays like their Muslim counterparts. It is their law that everybody should worship God on Fridays irrespective of your religion. There is no work on Fridays; they don’t do any other things on Fridays; they go to the mosques, come back home and relax. The working days there are from Saturday to Thursday, and on Friday they rest.

“Some of us left there out of fear because the people of Benghazi were accusing the blacks that they were in support of Gaddafi, but when you flashed your documents, they would leave you alone. But those who did not have documents were the ones badly molested.“I landed at the Murtala Mohameed airport, Lagos whereas my friend landed at the Abuja airport. Others landed at the Kano airport. None of us got anything and that is so bad. This thing happened at a time many of us have spent money. And in Libya, there is no much money in January because many people have spent much money in December time, the way it happens to Christians, that is the way it happened to Muslims there.

“There is no Nigerian man that will take the risk of going to fight war in Libya because of $100. People are just saying what is not true. We only heard about some Chadians that collected 100 dollars to fight for Gaddafi. But I don’t think a Nigerian will risk his life to fight war in Libya for $100.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/oct/06/national-06-10-2011-006.html
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by cap28: 5:22pm On Oct 08, 2011
now you hear it from the horse's mouth - this man confirms what i already knew, libya's standard of living was a zillion times better than nigeria's - the nigerian govt should be ashamed of themselves.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Relax101(m): 5:29pm On Oct 08, 2011
cap28:

now you hear it from the horse's mouth - this man confirms what i already knew, libya's standard of living was a zillion times better than nigeria's - the nigerian govt should be ashamed of themselves.

Ohh boy nobody's arguing that with you. We all know the standard of living surpasses Nigeria.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by tpia5: 6:19pm On Oct 08, 2011
“How I wish I could go back to Libya now. If I have money, I will still go back there; I prefer Libya. I prefer to go back. For my situation now, I prefer war-ravaged Libya to Nigeria

One of my friends that we simply call Kingsley went back to Libya recently and when I spoke with him on phone he told me that he was doing fine but when I later spoke with him another time, somebody else picked his phone and told me that the person I am calling was in prison for supporting former president Col. Gaddafi

undecided
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by tpia5: 6:25pm On Oct 08, 2011
so what then are the libyan rebels fighting for since the place was so good.

i think the returnees should rather focus on asking the govt to assist them in resettling, for now.

even during the wars in liberia and sierra leone some nigerians were still complaining about how good they had it over there. This was while the liberian population was being massacred and the entire country scattered.

lets apply wisdom when we talk. I dont think that's too much to ask.

nobody said its easy to start over again after you've lost everything you worked for over the past years, but i really dont know why nigerians like living in openly anti-black or anti-them areas.

there's money to be made in such places?

may God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Beaf: 6:31pm On Oct 08, 2011
I wonder why he came back when the war was so enjoyable to him.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Odunnu: 6:44pm On Oct 08, 2011
Poster: if only what this Arrow needs is transport fare back to Libya, then I think he has no problem, his mates are walking thru mountains and valleys with an 'I can and I will' spirit. Let him make a move and stop disturbing us who prefer the peace in Nigeria. mccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by ShangoThor(m): 7:07pm On Oct 08, 2011
ohhhhh really, would that include being better for all the Nigerian women and girls that are being gang ra*ped by the rebels in Libya, ooops I keep on forgetting, we're (Black) African, so it doesn't count.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Rhino5dm: 7:25pm On Oct 08, 2011
Yes that was the absolute truth, though i think he should try moving to PH/Delta/Lagos if really he's a skilled welder. Some guys earn a way morer than 5000 dollars/month as argon/pipe welders. That said.

BTW why are some heartless stuupid, ediots ranting shamelessly here? Because he said war torn libya is better than naija? Isn't that the obvious? Nonsense.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Rgp92: 7:25pm On Oct 08, 2011
tpia@:

i think the returnees should rather focus on asking the govt to assist them in resettling, for now.

even during the wars in liberia and sierra leone some nigerians were still complaining about how good they had it over there. This was while the liberian population was being massacred and the entire country scattered.

lets apply wisdom when we talk. I dont think that's too much to ask.

nobody said its easy to start over again after you've lost everything you worked for over the past years, but i really dont know why nigerians like living in openly anti-black or anti-them areas.

there's money to be made in such places?

may God help us all.

They dont know what they're fighting for right now smiley Just wait, they'll miss Gaddafi. Anyway, you're right. We should focus on a way to make nigeria better smiley
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by tpia5: 7:44pm On Oct 08, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

BTW why are some heartless stuupid, ediots ranting shamelessly here? Because he said war torn libya is better than naija? Isn't that the obvious? Nonsense.

put a name to your posts plz.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Rhino5dm: 7:54pm On Oct 08, 2011
Keep it open for more ediots that would want to distort the truth.

tpia@:

put a name to your posts plz.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by tpia5: 8:00pm On Oct 08, 2011
well, if you're afraid to name names, then let it be.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by tpia5: 8:02pm On Oct 08, 2011
@ topic

let's learn how to talk with sense plz.

this is the same attitude that keeps nigerians in danger in the north, where they're simply regarded as fodder anytime there's civil unrest.

what the returnees need to do now is focus on getting the govt to assist them instead of uttering careless and misleading statements.

If libya is such a paradise, then what exactly are the rebels fighting for and why was gadaffi overthrown?
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Rhino5dm: 8:12pm On Oct 08, 2011
You got me cracking! You know me better than this. . .keep it open to scare out mooroons willing to tow thesame line of thinking.

tpia@:

well, if you're afraid to name names, then let it be.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Rhino5dm: 8:22pm On Oct 08, 2011
Dont ever mention the bolden if you are in Nigeria. The government is a total mess that will prefer stealing their belongings.

The only time government listen is when you take up arms,kill innocent people,burn down some house of worshipp and blow up a couple of buildings with IED's, Boko Haram and MEND can testify to this.

tpia@:

@ topic

let's learn how to talk with sense plz.

this is the same attitude that keeps nigerians in danger in the north, where they're simply regarded as fodder anytime there's civil unrest.

what the returnees need to do now is [b]focus on getting the govt to assist them [/b]instead of uttering careless and misleading statements.

If libya is such a paradise, then what exactly are the rebels fighting for and why was gadaffi overthrown?

Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Dede1(m): 9:15pm On Oct 08, 2011
Rgp92:

They dont know what they're fighting for right now smiley Just wait, they'll miss Gaddafi. Anyway, you're right. We should focus on a way to make nigeria better smiley

It could not have been written better than above post. The people behind the carnage in Libya are a bunch of deluded and brainwashed trolls whom the Europeans have promised free sex by Europeans girls in Paris
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Otunbakay(m): 10:31am On Oct 09, 2011
I just hope the Libyans would not live to REGRET this war, in particular - the ousting of Gardaffi. As far as i'm concern they dont really need what they did, though Gardaffi has his own fault but i still think he's a gud leader who has a reasonable interest of his people @ heart. Under Gadaffi,Libya was undoubtedly the best country in Africa. what else then do they want? Well lets just keep waching, time will judge.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by ziga: 11:54am On Oct 09, 2011
Common sense - If something is better, you try to get it.

I'm sure it not going to be too difficult for those people to get back into Libya.

I wish them the best of luck. Sincerely!
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by eunisam: 12:12pm On Oct 09, 2011
$400 for returnees?

where is the EFCC?

Who's porket was that money paid in?

If EFCC or ICPC are not partial in their duties,let them tell us where that money is.

Brother returnee,Where you forced to return to Nigeria?

please since 2005 till date what did you achieved in lybia and how did you bring them home?

when you were enjoying your life as if tomorrow will never come did you tell us?

Nigeria is not bad as u thing.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by dhtml1(m): 12:13pm On Oct 09, 2011
Rather than focus on helping the poster, some of you guys are fighting over which one is more f**ed up? Libya or Naija?

The main difference between the 2 places it the government. If we swap government, naija will become better.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by dabrake(m): 12:28pm On Oct 09, 2011
Dede1:

It could not have been written better than above post. The people behind the carnage in Libya are a bunch of deluded and brainwashed trolls whom the Europeans have promised free sex by Europeans girls in Paris
lwkmd. Buh itz tru. Now, america'z got free access 2 dia oil, courtesy of those adulterated brainless insignificant nonentities and NATO. Imagine the asst. GEJ they put in power sef.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by psalmizt(m): 1:01pm On Oct 09, 2011
Relax101:

Declaration Of A Libyan Returnee ‘libya At War Better Than Nigeria At Peace!

“The Federal Government did not give us money when we returned to Nigeria but we heard that the United Nations allocated some money to us. But other people from countries like Ghana, Burkina Faso, and Mali were given $400 by their respective governments as soon as they arrived home. But here in Nigeria, we were maltreated as soon as the officials heard that we were from Libya. Even ordinary water we did not get from Nigerian Government.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/oct/06/national-06-10-2011-006.html

That is the Naija of our dreamz shey, I wish i can rain curses on all these govt official, Even in this hardship our senators and Co. are only interested in making life easy for themselves, I think we need a revolution, Coordination is our only problem, too many interests and division, The age old [size=14pt]Divide and Conquer[/size] is so prevalent,
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by oyanwumi: 2:40pm On Oct 09, 2011
Guy, the truth about it is that, welders also earn more salary in 9ja like libya. its depends on the type of welder, welder structural welder or pipe welder. if you need a good paying job as a welder, Go to oil n gas construction sites in bayelsa, Ph, warri and join the association of welders. that is only if you have the skill. then you will be paid a good salary. atleast, in 9ja. a qualified Pipe welder 6G gets at least 180 to 220k per month. I am a qualified CSWIP inspector and i kw how much welders are earning in 9ja. even better than welders in the middleast. See, 9ja 6G welders cant work in the Mideast cos what they earn in 9ja is far better than going far to libya or middleast. Well, in the UK, gud salary as a welder. But 9ja is still a gud place to work if u r qualify and you join the association for welders in 9ja being the only ticket to get a good earning job. Regarding your going back. well, try luk well ooo.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by velo10: 3:40pm On Oct 09, 2011
Guys Libya is far more economically stable and prosperous than Nigeria. A Malian that used to clean bicycles told AFP that he earned $130 per week. That is approximately N80,000 per month. That's more than what many Nigerian graduates earn.

If you think there is a conspiracy somewhere, check pictures and videos of Libyans even at war. Do you see anyone wasting in poverty or wearing rags? Gadaffi made every citizen of that country a beneficiary of the Libyan oil wealth and was even willing to include foreigners under the scheme. The Libyan rebels just want to overthrow their Gaddafi government backed by the NATO bodies. Well the way it is, Libya's going to turn to another Iraq. Africa let out for sale, what a shame.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by maclatunji: 4:34pm On Oct 09, 2011
Beaf:

I wonder why he came back when the war was so enjoyable to him.

Odunnu:

Poster: if only what this Arrow needs is transport fare back to Libya, then I think he has no problem, his mates are walking thru mountains and valleys with an 'I can and I will' spirit. Let him make a move and stop disturbing us who prefer the peace in Nigeria. mccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

You guys make a perfect couple, don't you? tongue
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by publisher(m): 4:56pm On Oct 09, 2011
[size=14pt]Yes o, o,everywhere is better than Nigeria. Please move back to Libya ooooooooo. Let those of us who have managed to settle down in Nigeria with our small businesses continue suffering O. Isnt it amazing how those who were CAPITAL failures in Nigeria end up prefering to become SUPER CAPITAL failures in foreign countries. While those who are relatively SUCCESSFUL in Nigeria sometimes become SUPER SUCCESSFUL abroad.
If you cant survive in Nigeria,you'll be a looser for life,the highest achievement you'll ever attain is that of being an ADDITIONAL BLACK IMMIGRANT in a foreign land. Welder ko', THUNDER FIRE UR DARK WELDERS' SHADES cool cool[/size]
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by Nobody: 5:03pm On Oct 09, 2011
Haba relax101 & publisher, una dey vex oo. angry
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by velo10: 6:06pm On Oct 09, 2011
publisher:

Yes o, o,everywhere is better than Nigeria. Please move back to Libya ooooooooo. Let those of us who have managed to settle down in Nigeria with our small businesses continue suffering O. Isnt it amazing how those who were CAPITAL failures in Nigeria end up prefering to become SUPER CAPITAL failures in foreign countries. While those who are relatively SUCCESSFUL in Nigeria sometimes become SUPER SUCCESSFUL abroad.
If you cant survive in Nigeria,you'll be a looser for life,the highest achievement you'll ever attain is that of being an ADDITIONAL BLACK IMMIGRANT in a foreign land. Welder ko', THUNDER FIRE your DARK WELDERS' SHADES cool cool

I think the world would be a better place is we sometimes shift our views to other people's perspectives sometimes rather than ours. Here is somebody looking for greener lands in his nation and didn't find it only to go to another man's land to find it at least to an appreciable level. We are a nation of more than 150 million people and there is no way the resources of this nation goes round to meet each citizen's needs. So if a citizen who have seen the best of both worlds still considers another man's country as better, I definitely rather than blame or insult him would listen to his reasons which obviously makes sense to an extent.

1 Like

Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by hackney(m): 6:22pm On Oct 09, 2011
tpia@:

Good compared to you doesnt mean good enough.

Nigeria is a very terrible place to live.
Its just that nigerians are used to the hardship and therefore ague it whenever that's said.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by mjconcept(m): 6:29pm On Oct 09, 2011
The problem with we Nigerians is that we always do unnecessary comparision how do u compair Libya with Nigeria do u know that the population of one Nigeria state is larger than the total population of Libya as a country again Gadafi is a strict leader who doesnot give a Bleep about what people say about him and im quiet sure that some of u blaming the governmet took part in rigging  or abi na lie.
Re: 'Libya At War Is Better Than Nigeria At Peace' by velo10: 7:20pm On Oct 09, 2011
mjconcept:

The problem with we Nigerians is that we always do unnecessary comparision how do u compair Libya with Nigeria do u know that the population of one Nigeria state is larger than the total population of Libya as a country again Gadafi is a strict leader who doesnot give a bleep about what people say about him and im quiet sure that some of u blaming the governmet took part in rigging  or abi na lie.

Nice writeup. But what's your point exactly?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Benin Airport For Commissioning Tomorrow / Oyo Government Removes Lunatics From Ibadan Roads / We Are Behind Boko Aram---gwarzo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.