Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,928 members, 7,828,217 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? (13281 Views)

How Much Do You Spend On Car Fuel Weekly / Is Car Fuel Saver Really Economical? / 5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by ikeno(m): 2:19pm On Aug 10, 2023
I don kukuma park my Nissan Pathfinder that thing dey suck fuel like Sahara desert. I no kukuma get time to calc fuel consumption when you go dey for traffic for 3hrs nah how to get to ur destination go dey your mind rather than fuel consumption.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 2:20pm On Aug 10, 2023
mu2sa2:
Is your odometer dial in miles or kilometres? 85miles is about 135 km and I doubt if 16 ltrs can cover that distance in stop-go city driving.

Maybe, maybe not..
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Judolisco(m): 2:28pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:

What's your total mileage?
i didn't calculate... Or check... I'll start checking from now
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Offpointng: 2:34pm On Aug 10, 2023
Odjirigho:
i get 85 miles on 10k fuel
V4 or V6??
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by maisauki: 2:39pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:
I drive an accord type 6 2006. 4 cycl.

This Monday I bought a fuel worth 10k, about 16ltrs, after driving about 25km while the reserve light was on, thus, I've eaten deep into the reserve.

I have driven to the office thrice and now on my odometer, I have a reading of 47miles when my reserve light came on.

If I calculate by this, it means I have done 75.6km, there are no heavy traffic on my route, so IMO this is a very high mileage.

I'm pretty sure the car will still take me back home and back to the office again which is a total of 38km, My car is on an open loop system.

My question is, do you calculate your fuel consumption like this or you do your maths when your tank is completely empty?
These days there are things you shouldn't bother calculating to avoid migraines.
Chiefs of them are fuel money and family running expenses
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by phemmyfour: 2:50pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:
I drive an accord type 6 2006. 4 cycl.

This Monday I bought a fuel worth 10k, about 16ltrs, after driving about 25km while the reserve light was on, thus, I've eaten deep into the reserve.

I have driven to the office thrice and now on my odometer, I have a reading of 47miles when my reserve light came on.

If I calculate by this, it means I have done 75.6km, there are no heavy traffic on my route, so IMO this is a very high mileage.

I'm pretty sure the car will still take me back home and back to the office again which is a total of 38km, My car is on an open loop system.

My question is, do you calculate your fuel consumption like this or you do your maths when your tank is completely empty?
You only need distance traveled divided by litres of fuel used.

That will give you x litres per km or miles. With that, you can calculate the liters of fuel required if you know the length of the journey.

E g if my car uses 2litres per km.

And Lagos to Ibadan is 100km

So, I should be traveling with at least 2*100 = 200 litres of fuel
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Abudash(m): 3:19pm On Aug 10, 2023
Guy if you need to know how am still enjoying subsidy rate on fueling my car when Nigeria govt remove am o boy come my DM.I use both matrix and Acura RDX no crying 😂😂 ...Tested & Confirmed.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by DJInfluence: 3:21pm On Aug 10, 2023
The only correct way to calculate your fuel consumption is to buy a full tank. Drive between 100-200km. Then tank fully again. The quantity of fuel you buy the 2nd time will be the quantity that was used previously, which by extension is the quantity consumed.
Example, let's say you filled up your tank with 50 litters and after driving for 100km, you top up your tank with only 6 litters of fuel, that means you've consumed 6ltr per 100km.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by highchief1: 3:34pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:

;Dthank you bro. I do not have an issue with fueling, what I want to understand is how the calculations work.

Knowledge is power.
bros some knowledge no Dey needed.Ome of my guy go say na when e broke e Dey reason say em car Dey suck fuel
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by mejai(m): 3:43pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:

Scan for what?? Oxygen sensor code

I have an oxygen sensor code, Nothing else.
Im not saying the car is problematic.
Fix ur oxygen sensor code... And watch ur mileage improve a bit.
As it is, it is consuming fuel, u won't get accurate calculation. Conner44, I lie?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by rickleye: 3:50pm On Aug 10, 2023
This is how to calc
You can get a result based on litres per 100km or mpg .
So for instance my vehicle consumes 9L per 100km. The distance from lag to abj is 700km.
(700/100* 9)
So I’ll consume 9*7 = 63L to get to Abuja.
You’ll have to find out the size of your tank to determine if it’s 50L which means you’ll have to refill at a certain point.

Mpg miles per gallon . So you have a 50g tank and you’re travelling to Kano which is 600miles

Your vehicle consumes 25mpg
1g = 25miles
50g = 1250miles

So you 1250/600 =2.
Which means you can literarily go and return on a single tank.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by mejai(m): 3:52pm On Aug 10, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

[b]IGNORANCE[/b] . No!! The AC uses gas and not petrol but you are too dull to know this.
AC is an extra load to the engine, which will take more fuel.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Zxcvbnmghtr: 3:55pm On Aug 10, 2023
mejai:

AC is an extra load to the engine, which will take more fuel.

See IGNORANCE. It mere stereotyping. It has nothing to do with the consumption of fuel. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

This is ignorance through the ages.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by mejai(m): 3:56pm On Aug 10, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

See IGNORANCE. It mere stereotyping. It has nothing to do with the consumption of fuel. ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Ok... Ur belief. No strength to argue. Bye

See attached: Honda Accord DC manual

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Pootle: 4:13pm On Aug 10, 2023
paymentvoucher:
We have plenty petrol stations that their fuel burn very fast in ABUJA. There is this fuel station (AFDIN) on your way to Kubwa after AA-Rano, I don't know what they pour in their fuel or where they usually get their fuel but trust me it doesn't consume fast like others.

If I full my tank to the brim, I can use it for days before it comes down to the F sign. But they don't sell fuel regularly. Whenever I see the place open, I buy full tank straight...
embarassed embarassed embarassed

you don cast am...manager dey NL undecided
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by amadiwati(m): 4:23pm On Aug 10, 2023
If you drive slowly. You accelerate gradually and not beyond 50km/hr You save more fuel.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by keymatt(m): 4:25pm On Aug 10, 2023
My own is to calculate the quantity of the food I need 🍲 before trekking. grin grin grin
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by DanielsParker(m): 5:36pm On Aug 10, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

IGNORANCE. The AC uses gas and not petrol but you are too dull to know this.

Are we still on this argument? A.C using petrol, if your engine is on, and the A.C is on, it causes more load on the engine, hence more fuel is used.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by abuuthmaan: 5:38pm On Aug 10, 2023
paymentvoucher:
We have plenty petrol stations that their fuel burn very fast in ABUJA. There is this fuel station (AFDIN) on your way to Kubwa after AA-Rano, I don't know what they pour in their fuel or where they usually get their fuel but trust me it doesn't consume fast like others.

If I full my tank to the brim, I can use it for days before it comes down to the F sign. But they don't sell fuel regularly. Whenever I see the place open, I buy full tank straight...
embarassed embarassed embarassed

I got to check this out soon to confirm the veracity of this claim.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by DanielsParker(m): 5:49pm On Aug 10, 2023
mejai:

How can someone argue that AC doesn’t effect fuel consumption.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Conner44: 5:50pm On Aug 10, 2023
mejai:

Fix ur oxygen sensor code ... And watch ur mileage improve a bit.
[b]As it is, it is consuming fuel, [/b]u won't get accurate calculation. Conner44, I lie?

My brother this your comment is over brimming with truth jor grin
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Zxcvbnmghtr: 5:51pm On Aug 10, 2023
mejai:

Eyah! Honda cars are not good cars. I didn't know you are basing your argument on such brand of cars. Sorry!
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Conner44: 5:52pm On Aug 10, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Oga bmc it’s true oh. Air conditioning increases fuel consumption.

No need to argue. This one no be politics.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Conner44: 5:53pm On Aug 10, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

Eyah! Honda cars are not good cars. I didn't know you are basing your argument on such brand of cars. Sorry!

Oh, were you basing your own argument on electric vehicles? shocked

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Zxcvbnmghtr: 6:01pm On Aug 10, 2023
Conner44:

Oh, were you basing your own argument on electric vehicles? shocked

No. On cars which Ac are not power via the alternator.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Conner44: 6:39pm On Aug 10, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

No. On cars which Ac are not power via the alternator.

So what vehicles are those? What then powers their aircon?
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by jeromestarks: 7:39pm On Aug 10, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:

IGNORANCE. The AC uses gas and not petrol but you are too dull to know this.
You're a chicken.
The entire engine use gas - the fuel is compressed and ignited.

It's a combustion engine.

Like I said, you're a chicken.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by goodnewscliff(m): 8:21pm On Aug 10, 2023
jeromestarks:

You're a chicken.
The entire engine use gas - the fuel is compressed and ignited.

It's a combustion engine.

Like I said, you're a chicken.
the 2 of una dy talk the same thing with a touch of misunderstanding and violence. There should always be a balance. This gbas gbos wouldn't make u see similarities in your points
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by jeromestarks: 8:23pm On Aug 10, 2023
goodnewscliff:
the 2 of una dy talk the same thing with a touch of misunderstanding and violence. There should always be a balance. This gbas gbos wouldn't make u see similarities in your points

Like say u study conflict resolution in school.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by goodnewscliff(m): 8:27pm On Aug 10, 2023
jeromestarks:

Like say u study conflict resolution in school.
there are similarities in ur arguments buh u guys choose not to see it. grin grin grin. The violence is sweet sha
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by bluefilm: 8:57pm On Aug 10, 2023
jeromestarks:
Calculate what?

I only know that the fuel don't last once there's a non virgin in the car because I have to power the A.C due to the foul smell of the over used pvssy.

But with a virgin in the car and the windows up, moving at 110km/hr, my fuel lasts.

Avoid non virgin at all cost or train another man's child.

You should try to avoid mkpurummiri first. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by jeromestarks: 8:58pm On Aug 10, 2023
bluefilm:

You should try to avoid mkpurummiri first. grin grin grin
Sharap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

His Car Was Burgled At Shoprite Ikeja Parking Lot! / Car Robbery And Killing Of The Victim. / Andvise Before He Wastes His Money On LR3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.