Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,180 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? (13280 Views)

How Much Do You Spend On Car Fuel Weekly / Is Car Fuel Saver Really Economical? / 5 Common Signs Of A Failing Car Fuel Pump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Southwestidiot: 10:20pm On Aug 10, 2023
remi4ever:
I drive an accord type 6 2006. 4 cycl.

This Monday I bought a fuel worth 10k, about 16ltrs, after driving about 25km while the reserve light was on, thus, I've eaten deep into the reserve.

I have driven to the office thrice and now on my odometer, I have a reading of 47miles when my reserve light came on.

If I calculate by this, it means I have done 75.6km, there are no heavy traffic on my route, so IMO this is a very high mileage.

I'm pretty sure the car will still take me back home and back to the office again which is a total of 38km, My car is on an open loop system.

My question is, do you calculate your fuel consumption like this or you do your maths when your tank is completely empty?
Calculator and ruler
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by nkpommpko(m): 11:19pm On Aug 10, 2023
from Kubwa to the Federal Secretariat in Abuja: with a 4 cylinder engine.

Distance: 15 km
Fuel consumption rate: 11 km/l
Fuel price: 617 naira/liter

Petrol needed = Distance / Fuel consumption rate
Petrol needed = 15 km / 11 km/l ≈ 1.36 liters

Cost = Petrol needed * Fuel price per liter
Cost = 1.36 liters * 617 naira/liter ≈ 840.92 naira

So, it would cost around 840.92 naira to travel from Kubwa to the Federal Secretariat in Abuja, assuming an average fuel consumption rate of 11 km/l and a fuel price of 617 naira per liter.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by dududgav78: 9:45am On Aug 11, 2023
Beauty salons are sanctuaries of transformation and elegance. Picture the serene ambiance, the hum of blow dryers creating a symphony of allure. A beauty salon isn't just a place for haircuts; it's where individuality is curated. Skilled stylists wield brushes like artists, crafting looks that blend personality with trends. From chic bobs to intricate updos, beauty salons celebrate diversity. Beyond aesthetics, these spaces exude confidence, becoming cocoons of self-expression where every client emerges not just with a new hairstyle but also with renewed confidence and a touch of glamour. https://greatstylebarbershopnyc.com
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by mikekobe01(m): 10:51am On Aug 11, 2023
Your fuel consumption is calculated in millage per gallon. As a rule of thumb, 4ltrs - 1gallon.

So if you bought say 16ltrs of fuel, that's 4gallon.

What I do is reset either trip A or B on my odometer view board.

So if you drive say 70 miles on a 4-gallon fuel.

That means your fuel consumption is 70/4 - 17.5mpg (this is okay)

Also note that 1mile is equivalent to 1.6km

Thanks.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by gforce5: 11:34am On Aug 11, 2023
I refuel my car twice a week (Tuesdays and Saturdays). Lucky for me, my workplace is close to where I live so I don't have to do a long-distance journey like most Lagosians. I also ensure that my fuel tank does not reach half tank. In this APC era, you have to use common sense to survive Nigeria.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by bonnyhope: 1:08pm On Aug 11, 2023
jeromestarks:
Calculate what?

I only know that the fuel don't last once there's a non virgin in the car because I have to power the A.C due to the foul smell of the over used pvssy.

But with a virgin in the car and the windows up, moving at 110km/hr, my fuel lasts.

Avoid non virgin at all cost or train another man's child.

Always off point
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 4:20pm On Aug 11, 2023
mikekobe01:
Your fuel consumption is calculated in millage per gallon. As a rule of thumb, 4ltrs - 1gallon.

So if you bought say 16ltrs of fuel, that's 4gallon.

What I do is reset either trip A or B on my odometer view board.

So if you drive say 70 miles on a 4-gallon fuel.

That means your fuel consumption is 70/4 - 17.5mpg (this is okay)

Also note that 1mile is equivalent to 1.6km

Thanks.
Thank you for your input.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 4:21pm On Aug 11, 2023
gforce5:
I refuel my car twice a week (Tuesdays and Saturdays). Lucky for me, my workplace is close to where I live so I don't have to do a long-distance journey like most Lagosians. I also ensure that my fuel tank does not reach half tank. In this APC era, you have to use common sense to survive Nigeria.

How much on those days?
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Zxcvbnmghtr: 8:00pm On Aug 11, 2023
mejai, Conner44 I was wrong while you guys are right. Got misled by a program on discovery channels.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by fineboynl(m): 8:26pm On Aug 11, 2023
Abudash:
Guy if you need to know how am still enjoying subsidy rate on fueling my car when Nigeria govt remove am o boy come my DM.I use both matrix and Acura RDX no crying 😂😂 ...Tested & Confirmed.
show person the way
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by mejai(m): 10:37pm On Aug 11, 2023
Zxcvbnmghtr:
mejai, Conner44 I was wrong while you guess are right. Got misled by a program on discovery channels.
U r welcome. 👍

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 8:21am On Aug 13, 2023
fineboynl:
show person the way

Drop update here, if there is any.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Sirnioking(m): 11:40am On Aug 13, 2023
My 2012 Honda Accord EX does not even show.
int0x80:
That's an old car, modern cars show fuel consumption on the dashboard.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by pegix(m): 11:49am On Aug 13, 2023
My Ford focus 06 1.6 inline 4 cylinder engine
7litres per 100km traveling on highway

In city 9/10 litres

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by gforce5: 10:10am On Aug 14, 2023
N7,000 on Tuesday and N8,000 on Saturday. The highest i have spent is N10,000 and that is because it was getting to quarter tank. Pre-fuel increment, I used to refuel my car every 3 days.
remi4ever:

How much on those days?
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Angrygoat: 12:39pm On Aug 14, 2023
Me now my own gugae no dey rise again. Na 15litres dey reserve tank.i go do top up of 5k today. Obd scanner don complain of bank 2 sensor 1.so i know say my own engine don dey consume fuel.
gforce5:
N7,000 on Tuesday and N8,000 on Saturday. The highest i have spent is N10,000 and that is because it was getting to quarter tank. Pre-fuel increment, I used to refuel my car every 3 days.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2023
Sequel to my previous post, I realised that I had a small leak at the front of my exhaust. I got it fixed and here is the obd reading from my first trip.
Average is 10.53l/100km

The second screenshot was taken after my round trip to the airport and back.

Suprisingly, my fuel guage says otherwise.. 10k fuel that I bought yesterday for this experiment is almost finished.

Bought it at NNPC, 16. Litres..

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by Elsueno: 9:34pm On Dec 03, 2023
390 km for approximately 25 litres

206 Peugeot, city driving(no AC)..not much traffic

with Ac it's about 300-320( this isn't accurate cause I haven't finished this test yet)

By the way why is it hard to see a Peugeot 107 around & No, I ain't interested in the Toyota variant

1 Like

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by georgikpons: 9:47pm On Dec 29, 2023
Pls guys help me check if this is normal
I have a corolla 06 model...I bought 50litres, i could only get 350km when the red light came up..
My question is...is the consumption normal
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by oladele239(m): 12:45pm On Jan 02
Please o I want to ask o
If my fuel consumption is ok
I don't really know how it works
Just go this accord 03

Filled the tank and reset my meter
So far I have the below readings on my fuel guage

Pics attached

Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by shotuns: 6:53am On Jan 03
From experience, I get better fuel economy of 8-9litres /100kms between 80 and 90km/hr. steady but once I go above 100, I get between 10-12lits/100km and I can get up to 600km in a 65litrs fuel tank before refilling (Chevrolet Malibu 2013 model)2.0 Naturally aspirated engine, 4 plugs. Your driving habits, heavy or lighted foot on pedal is another factor, do not speed up at start up, increase your speed slowly, more fuel is used at cold start when engine is still cold, once warmed up your engine oil lubricates faster and your engine becomes smoother (use recommended oil weight), Naija in general don't have good fuel octane rating unlike other countries do e.g. 92/95/98.
High performance engine requires high octane fuel for better engine performance and fuel economy. No regulations and supervision to put a check on bad fuel from our suppliers and fuel stations. That sector is rotten from head to bottom.

quote author=amadiwati post=125018313]If you drive slowly. You accelerate gradually and not beyond 50km/hr You save more fuel.[/quote]
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by waso12: 10:30pm On Apr 17
For my 2.0 fsi the best fuel consumption is around 2000 rpm so since my car is manuel I try to drive around this rpm
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by remi4ever(m): 12:52pm On Apr 18
Update. I got another car. It was bought new in 2011 by a bank. It's an honda accord 2009 with the 2.0l variant. My mpg is currently 29mpg combined traffic.

I have my thermostat installed and fan runs from sensor input, O2 sensor working too.

I had driven my car from 155 miles when my reserve light came on. I drove until it hit 216 miles. Then I bought 29 litres. That 29 litres gave me 199.4 miles about 320kms before the reserve came on again.. Very impressive fuel economy for a combined traffic condition and a big Sedan.

I have never been more happier with my decision of getting this car.
Re: How Do You Calculate Your Car's Fuel Consumption? by dare01: 5:20pm On Apr 23
I get 22 mpg in Lagos city sometimes but Lagos traffic no go allow me enter 23. Currently i am on 21mpg with my Camry 2012 se v6

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

His Car Was Burgled At Shoprite Ikeja Parking Lot! / Car Robbery And Killing Of The Victim. / Andvise Before He Wastes His Money On LR3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.