Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,854 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Best And Worst States In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Best And Worst States In Nigeria (16649 Views)

The Worst States For Black Americans / Best And Worst States In Nigeria In Terms Of Relative Peace / Best And Worst States In Nigeria In Terms Of Relative Peace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by aloyemeka1: 9:57pm On Oct 12, 2011
South.East:

2 of 5 SE states are unhealthy

2 of  6 SW states are unhealthy

Igbo people and their myopia. Shouldn't you be claiming marginalization here?. All the Northern states claiming to be on life support are doing so because they need more money from FG. The sooner you claim yours, the better for you.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 12, 2011
Aji sebi OYO laari, OYO ki se bi Baba enikankan
pls translate undecided
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by RoadStar: 10:09pm On Oct 12, 2011
aloy/emeka:

Igbo people and their myopia. Shouldn't you be claiming marginalization here?. All the Northern states claiming to be on life support are doing so because they need more money from FG. The sooner you claim yours, the better for you.
What is myopic is the fact that some people inluding Igbos are still calling for the creation of more states because of politics even when most of the states in Nigeria cannot sustain themselves not to talk of fostering any form of development.

Even more myopic are the Yorubas who still talking about Awo of western region from 50 years ago when the present states are struggling.
At the slightest conversation, all we hear is awo, awo, awo
Ok let me see how the states can afford awos free education when they cannot even pay minimum wage. Ode !
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by tellmemore(m): 10:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
Nairaland used to delete silly contributions. Don't they do that anymore?
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by lagcity(m): 10:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
Ope ooo. Up Kwara! We are truly blessed. My ppl open ya eyes, oil is not everything. Let's invest in Agric like Kwara.

OK. BS aside. It could be that these "poor" states have too much workers in the first place. It would be helpful to see the ratio of state workers to population and also federal allocation.

One thing is clear. SS states have no reason not to develop with all the money coming their way. SS ppl make una hold ya governors oo, i don warn you be dat.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Nayah(f): 11:42pm On Oct 12, 2011
So sad people can't help bashing each other and "tribalizing " topics
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by naijaobi(m): 1:26am On Oct 13, 2011
igbo kwenu, i luv us, grin grin grin grin [b][/b]
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by NRIPRIEST(m): 1:54am On Oct 13, 2011
wow, Tipia is becoming a different person now. I am really glad about this.
Next shuld be ileke idi the agbaya !
We shuldnt be mocking the states declared unhealthy or critical by that unknown statistics. Nigeria is a suffering nation,as so,a regional progress will do very little to change the state of the nation.

Umuigbo nine no ebea, anam ayo unu ncha ka anyi kwanyelu onwe anyi ugwu. Hapu nu onye ilo ka fa bulu uzo choo anyi okwu tupu anyi agbas ha ose na anya.
Am always proud of my Beloved Anambra. The pride of the Igbo race !!!
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by tpia5: 1:59am On Oct 13, 2011
ok, people need to stop calling my name while waanking everywhere.

get lives.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by ranlaen: 2:00am On Oct 13, 2011
all states are in a poor shape
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:25am On Oct 13, 2011
Look at all these fools up in here. You guys are here arguing over meaningly crap about Zik and Awo who have become less than maggot sh.it while the govt is looting your country's funds. Keep preoccupying yourselves with these useless arguments. Dumb Nigerians.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by aljharem3: 2:35am On Oct 13, 2011
pDude:

Look at all these fools up in here. You guys are here arguing over meaningly crap about Zik and Awo who have become less than maggot sh.it while the govt is looting your country's funds. Keep preoccupying yourselves with these useless arguments. Dumb Nigerians.

You know what

You are 100% correct.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:50am On Oct 13, 2011
Tipia! Tipia, u see ur life ? Wanking ? I will not give up on u my dear. The devil is a fierce foe! Lets keep praying for u.
May the almighty castrate the spirit of yoruba causing from u(lmao),provide a loving husband,make the igbo boy who broke ur heart to piece it back together and give it to u. And may that evil spirit in osun river leave u alone,so u can have a peaceful spirit. Amen
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by tpia5: 3:56am On Oct 13, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

Am still new here and I am trying to form a clique here.

so, how far?
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by mitofag: 4:03am On Oct 13, 2011
tpia@:

so, how far?

He doesnt want you Tpia.

Leave the young man alone.

@ NRI Priest, BTW, Tpia is one person you dont want to have anything to do with. She is an old hag looking for someone to sleep with desperately. stay away from her. Run away from her, I mean.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by tpia5: 4:04am On Oct 13, 2011
mitofag:

Ray away from her. Run away from her, I mean.

no, ray is correct in your cuckoo world. undecided

gibberish.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:04am On Oct 13, 2011
mitofag:

He doesnt want you Tpia.

Leave the young man alone.

@ NRI Priest, BTW, Tpia is one person you dont want to have anything to do with. She is an old hag looking for someone to sleep with desperately. [size=28pt]Ray away[/size] from her. Run away from her, I mean.
What does this mean? Were.

@post
Best: Calabar, Ekiti

Worst: Too many to choose from
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by tpia5: 4:15am On Oct 13, 2011
when is the nigerian govt going to save us from the type of grammar bombs being let loose by this fstranger/mitofag/whatever character?
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by mitofag: 4:16am On Oct 13, 2011
tpia@:

when is the nigerian govt going to save us from the type of grammar bombs being let loose by this fstranger/mitofag/whatever character?

After they are done saving us from your grammar bombs, then they will have time for my pardonable typos.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 4:38am On Oct 13, 2011
Anambra, I'm a proud son.  cool

Now where are all those thieves who have been calling for Peter Obi's head, simply because he shut the coffers against them?
You know yourselves in Nairaland. Shame on all you enemies of financial probity in Anambra state.

I'm also proud of Imo (as always). The heartland never disappoints umu Igbo. Thanks Rochas.

Even T.A Orji managed to pull this one off. I'm still looking at you Orji with my left eye; but thanks for keeping Abia financially sane.

Umu Igbo ejim unu eme onu. Jisie nu ike.

In all, I am not shocked anyway.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Relax101(m): 4:41am On Oct 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

Now where are all those thieves who have been calling for Peter Obi's head, simply because he shut the coffers against them?
You know yourselves in Nairaland. Shame on all you enemies of financial probity in Anambra state.

I'm also proud of Imo (as always). The heartland never disappoints umu Igbo. Thanks Rochas.

Even T.A Orji managed to pull this one off. I'm still looking at you Orji with my left eye; but thanks for keeping Abia financially sane.

Abia state is a very rich state.
The zombie governor is just too old and senile to bring out new things on ground. Na real civil servant im be na.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by OgidiBoy(m): 4:54am On Oct 13, 2011
Onlytruth:

Igbo kwenu !

Igbo kwenu !!

Anambra kwezuo nu !!!
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Onlytruth(m): 5:01am On Oct 13, 2011
I also saw how some people desperately tried to trivialize this, and have been trying to muddle the waters by saying things like "the whole country is f0cked". This may be true; but some parts are inherently backwards.

Imagine a state spending 80 - 90% of revenue on salaries?  shocked shocked shocked
Is that not pure leeching off the state resources?
I will keep saying this.
I am one of those calling for the renegotiation of Nigeria (if not its outright total disintegration) because, there is no similarity in mindset and attitude towards public resources.  undecided
Some parts like to depend on state resources more than other parts.
My concern is that the part that depends more on state resources always see the contest for power at the center as a matter of life and death.
All it ever achieved was to make Nigeria the most indebted country in Africa, before the debt was negotiated down by an Igbo woman. Mallam has been gradually increasing the debt again!

Just look at SE and tell me that this region can't survive as a nation.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:14am On Oct 13, 2011
Tipialipia my good sister, is that the only sentence ur quick fingers were able to pull. Its kinda shameful to come at me like that ! U dont buy gentle man in the market,they are born ! But, Tipia where do u stay ? And dont get it wrong cause I m not hitting at u.
Anambra till I kpai ! The light of the Igbo race!
As u grow do not forget ur brothers (ebonyi,enugu,Imo,Delta igbos,Rivers Igbos and diasporian Igbos).
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by emmke(m): 7:47am On Oct 13, 2011
useless analysis and unnecessary bragging if u ask me. An average man in benue and some of the so called unhealthy states (mostly have lower cost of living with abundance of food), feeds and live better than an average man in the SE. Thats why they keep leaving the SE in droves, and whenever they are going home, mehn come see how them they pack food, lol. Nothing them no they pack i swear. We used to ask if they were travelling to Somalia, lol. grin grin.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by 76Naira(m): 8:18am On Oct 13, 2011
Healthy ni, healthy ko`.
To even think that Lagos & Rivers are within the same revenue bracket and Rivers is still in that state. Damn!!!
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Agbrokom: 8:29am On Oct 13, 2011
wat about delta state pls let us knw dia revenue or d thieves we av der ar stil coverin it[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Lekkerlife(m): 8:33am On Oct 13, 2011
I propose state recapitalization; meaning the unhealthy should acquire the distressed.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Areosapien(f): 10:55am On Oct 13, 2011
emmke:

useless analysis and unnecessary bragging if u ask me. An average man in benue and some of the so called unhealthy states (mostly have lower cost of living with abundance of food), feeds and live better than an average man in the SE.
Thats why they keep leaving the SE in droves,
LMAOOO! You're clearly a local Idoma village dunce, so your ignorance-induced stupidity is pardonable. Have I not visited this Benue for my youth service? Mr man, don't use the anonymity of the internet to come lie about your dying state, cuz there might just be someone lurking in the corner to take you to the cleaners. Tell me, is Ogboko not a glorified onion village? What do you have? And which of your men feed better than Igbos? Which of your men even have jobs besides picking pockets? Are Igbos not the ones still in charge of the high paying jobs there? My cousin owns a large boutique right at the heart of Ogboko, and the only thing the men around there are good at, is breaking into the shop in the dark of the night, to cart away with panties and lingerie! FACT! So, don't even come here to lie about things, e hear?
and whenever they are going home, mehn come see how them they pack food, lol. Nothing them no they pack i swear.
Exactly! You've even helped confirm my points that the Igbos there ain't suffering. Now tell me, would they be packing things if they couldn't afford it? The typical Igbo man lifestyle is to enjoy life to the fullest, while hustling as the days go by. Now, tell me, how many Benue people do you even see working in other states? Oh, my guess exactly - Zero, since they're useless to the society and themselves grin
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by presido1: 11:15am On Oct 13, 2011
emmke:

useless analysis and unnecessary bragging if u ask me. An average man in benue and some of the so called unhealthy states (mostly have lower cost of living with abundance of food), feeds and live better than an average man in the SE. Thats why they keep leaving the SE in droves, and whenever they are going home, mehn come see how them they pack food, lol. Nothing them no they pack i swear. We used to ask if they were travelling to Somalia, lol. grin grin.
They are travelling to the city(SE) so they have to buy foodstuffs from the rural area(Benue) and those in rural area are happy selling to them cos, once they travel for like two weeks nobody in the rural area(BENUE) can afford to pay the price of those food stuffs.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by anonimi: 11:28am On Oct 13, 2011
Let's remember that the LG authorities, which are the closest to residents also have a role to play in the citizen's life. It is not just the state and federal that is responsible for everything.
This is very important to note as most state IECs aer now organising LG council elections.
--------------------
The functions of Local Government Councils in Nigeria are contained in the 4th Schedule of the Constitution of the Federal Government of Nigeria. To fulfil these functions they must deliver the following services to which you have a right as citizens resident in your particular Local Government Area

1. Provide Information and Access to Local Government Services

To do this every Local Government Council Office must have a reception area that is staffed with people that are knowledgeable about the work of the Council and can refer members of the public appropriately, depending on enquiries and requests made

They must have detailed information about the services delivered by the particular Council and where the service can be obtained

The premises of the Local Council Office must be well sign posted so that visitors to the council can find their way easily and the more progressive councils must ensure that there are no language barriers and that the visually impaired and others who have disabilities have easy and appropriate access to information and services

2. Registration of Births

Many Councils have abdicated this responsibility to the National Population Commission, yet it is one of the very primary function that a Council can carry out. Those in Diaspora understand how important this service is and it should be accompanied with issuance of birth certificates. If we do not know how many we are or how fast we are growing we cannot plan or allocate resources effectively. Leaving this function in the hands of the National Population Commission means that we can be under represented at the Federal Level and for some of us there may even be no record of our existence.

3. Marriage Registry

Nigerians more than most people understand the importance of this function. And even when people choose to marry in a religious or traditional institution, the marriages must still be registered with the Local Council. The Local council must post banns as required by the law, issue marriage licenses and marriage certificates

For civil marriages, the Council must take steps to provide decent premises where the marriage ceremonies can take place, even if this is provided at a fee.

4. Registration of Death

The law requires the death to be registered either in the LGA where the death took place or alternatively in the local government of origin. For this reason, the Local Council must maintain a registry and provide information on what steps to follow.

5. Cemetery Services

Local Councils must maintain public cemeteries with facilities for conducting simple burial ceremonies. Progressive ones should also facilitate the services of undertakers to ease the burden of family members and friends

6. Primary Health Care Services

Every Local Government has a Primary Health Care Coordinator, usually a senior nurse (all the ones in Lagos State are medical doctors) who has responsibility for delivering primary health care and for coordinating health care facilities within the LGA. These primary health care facilities in most other countries have grown to be full fledged hospitals and often serve as secondary referral centres for community nursing. In Nigeria, the ones established by Olikoye Ransome Kuti became decrepit almost as soon as he retired.

The law in Nigeria provides for members of the community to sit on the governing councils of these health facilities and we can call the PHC coordinator to account about the quality and range of health care services available in the LGA. It is a right that we have yet to avail of. How many of us know the name of our Local Council Chairman not mention the name of the PHC Coordinator. Just so we know, services provided through the Primary Health Care Centres are

Diagnoses and treatment of minor ailments and injuries
Referral to a secondary health care facility
Drug dispensary and sale at government regulated prices
a full range of antenatal, delivery [excluding the delivery of first pregnancies] and postnatal services, including circumcision of male babies and immunization
Child welfare clinics including advisory services on exclusive breastfeeding and weighing of children under five years of age on any day of the week.
Counselling on family planning including support to determine an appropriate family planning method compatible with personal health history and treatment of minor complications which arise from the use of prescribed guide
Adolescent Reproductive Health Services
Health education and health promotion seminars concerning prevailing health problems in the communities

7. Local Government Education Authorities

Local Government Councils are meant to supervise education at the grassroots (this puts primary education, vocational education and the provison of libraries solidly within their purview) and to work through Local Government Education Authorities and with Departments for Adult and Nonformal Education to do this. To ensure a level of control, Secretaries of LGEAs are appointed by Council Chairmen and ratified by council members who are also elected and whose functions are similar to those of State assemblies with responsibilities for making by laws.

In practice, Local Government Education Authorities work under the supervision of the Ministry of Education and in collaboration with relevant Boards, Agencies and Departments of the Ministry of Education to ensure compliance of schools with educational standards and procedures set by Government. LGEAs in many states have become autonomous of the Local Government Councils. They should monitor and report on

· the state of school buildings and facilities

· levels of enrolment in schools

· staffing, including number and qualification of teachers

· education improvement programmes undertaken within the LGA by government, individuals, civil society and donor organisations

· private providers of education and continue education centres within each LGA to ensure compliance with government policy guidelines

LGEAs should also support inspection of schools, administration of examinations and registration of teachers with the State Teacher Registration Council. They have so far failed abysmally and have been accountable to no one, not even State Universal Basic Education Boards which simply meet to award contracts funded with World Bank IDA Loans to each other with the connivance of the Universal Basic Education Commission (Federal).

8. Establishment of Homes for Destitute and other Socially Needy

Local Government Councils have the responsibility for establishing homes for the destitute and other socially needy people. Many Councils do this in partnership with relevant civil society organisations and with Federal or State agencies.

9. Public Conveniences

Each Local Government Council must provide public toilets and bathhouses. There is room for private sector participation in this function as entrepreneurs can obtain licences to operate public conveniences. It is compulsory that the Local Government Council makes land available for this purpose.

10. Slaughter Houses

Local Government Councils must provide abattoirs and slaughter houses that are maintained in good sanitary conditions in cooperation with butcher’s associations. The department for veterinary services of the state issues licenses to intending butchers through local councils and their officials inspect all animals intended for slaughter to make sure that they are fit for consumption.

11. Markets

Local Government Councils establish and operate markets in partnership with traders associations. They also issue street trading and hawkers licenses and must ensure that street traders and hawkers do not impede traffic flow or constitute nuisances

12. Registration and Issuance of Licences

Local Government Councils issue licenses for motor and other mechanised vehicles, licenses for bicycles and trucks, radio and television licenses, pet licenses, licenses for sale of liquor, small trader licenses and licenses to operate community based organisations and NGOs

13. Refuse Collection and Maintaining Clean Streets

Responsibility for refuse collection and street cleaning remains that of the Local government even though most states and established waste management agencies. The Local government Council also has responsibility for removing corpses and animal carcasses from our roads, for unclogging drains and patching potholes on roads.

14. Road Construction and Naming of Streets

The Council carries out maintenance of roads and must also construct or open up new roads to create access to new settlements. They also have responsibility for naming streets and for providing street maps for their local government area

15. Assessment of Privately owned Buildings for Tenement Rates

The Local Government Council must maintain a register of all the building in the Local Government Area for the purpose of determining and collection of tenement rates. The Council should also have responsibility for monitoring that building permits are not violated

16. Regulation of Outdoor Advertising

The Local Government Council has responsibility for regulating out door advertising and for providing guidelines to advertisers

17. Revenue Collection

Many of the functions and services of Local Government Councils result in the generation of revenue. Such revenue is used for funding social services delivered through the Council and for development projects for communal benefit. The Local Government Council through the Chairman is accountable for the use of this revenue and for the Federal allocation

18. Publication of Fees

Every Council is required to publish fees charged for services delivered. Where arrangements have been made to collect revenue through agents, the agents must also publish fees and abide by the regulations and directives of the Council

NVS
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by dagboss(m): 11:48am On Oct 13, 2011
After carefully reading through the thread i can not see where a starting gun was shot for another ethnic bashing. Unfortunately most of the Yoruba boys/girls in NL may not have had the opportunity of travelling to some parts of the country where some of their aggressors come from, hence you fight from a disadvantage position knowing that most of your foes have all abandoned their clans for the south west. Even though our people say that an "adult should not join in a game of show of private parts", i get sick of some of the gabbage some of these guys post about the south west, and i restrain myself a lot not to join issues with anybody believing that those people doing that are likely to be minors. As an addition i travelled round the whole states of the federation by road between late January and March this year and this is not the first time in most of the locations and i know what i saw.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jega To Retire With Seven National Commissioners, 16 Recs / States Receive N1bn Each For COVID-19 Fight / Take A Break From #EndSARS Protests- Governor Sanwo-Olu Appeals To Lagosians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.