Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,776 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Best And Worst States In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Best And Worst States In Nigeria (16640 Views)

The Worst States For Black Americans / Best And Worst States In Nigeria In Terms Of Relative Peace / Best And Worst States In Nigeria In Terms Of Relative Peace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best And Worst States In Nigeria by peckhamboi: 11:27am On Oct 12, 2011
The governors of the 36 states will today meet to consider a report that listed 16 states as “bankrupt”, nine “unhealthy”, six “critical” and five “distressed” as a result of the implementation of the minimum wage which commenced August 2011.

Also, the governors may move for an amendment of the constitution to remove labour and all labour-related matters from the Exclusive Federal Legislative list to the Concurrent List, meaning states will be able to discuss their labour-related issues.

The implication is the decentralisation of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and other unions.
The report by the Nigeria Governors Forum (NGF) Secretariat obtained by THISDAY listed the following states as being in distressed situation following the implementation of the wage: Katsina with a total yearly revenue of N33.2 billion and a total year wage bill of N21.71 billion or 65.4 per cent of the state total revenue; Niger with a total yearly revenue base of N32.3 billion and a wage bill of N23.4 billion or 72.4 per cent; and Sokoto with a total yearly revenue of N29.2 billion and a yearly salary bill of N23.4 billion or a 80 per cent of the total revenue.

Also listed is Zamfara with a total yearly revenue base of N27.5 billion to a yearly wage bill of N19.24 billion or 70 per cent.

All these, the report said, were based on a 30-per-cent increase in personnel cost.

Other states listed to be in critical positions include Adamawa, Benue, Edo, Ekiti, Osun and Plateau.
Specifically, the report stated that Adamawa with a yearly revenue base of N29.2 billion will expend N15.21 billion on salaries and wages, which represent a 52.1 per cent of personnel cost of the total revenue, while Benue with a N35.3 billion yearly revenue, which yearly salaries will gulp N19.37 billion or 54.9 per cent of personnel cost.

Edo with a total yearly revenue base of N40.9 billion will finance a wage bill of N22.23 billion or a 54.4 per cent of personnel cost.

Ekiti is among the states listed within the range of states in critical situation. The state has a yearly revenue base of N23.6 billion, but has a yearly wage bill of N14.82 billion or a 62.8 per cent of the personnel cost.

Plateau has N28.1 billion as total revenue with N15.99 billion as personnel cost or a 56.9 per cent.
According to the source, states described as unhealthy are Cross River, Ebonyi, Enugu, Kaduna, Kogi, Ogun, Ondo, Taraba and Yobe.

The following states were described as healthy and therefore can pay the 30-per-cent incremental wage bill. They are: Abia, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Delta, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kebbi, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, Oyo and Rivers.

The report, which stated that Rivers has a total yearly revenue base of N184.5 billion, has a yearly wage bill of N47.45 billion or 25.7 per cent of personnel cost.

In the same vein, Akwa Ibom has a yearly revenue base of N144.4 billion and a personnel cost of N23.27 billion or 16.1 per cent.

Lagos State has a yearly revenue base of N182.8 billion and a wage bill of N42.51 billion or a 23.3 per cent of the personnel cost.

According to the report, the implementation of the Minimum Wage Act by these states would have a negative impact on their ability to create jobs and at great opportunity cost on other government projects.
Apart from this, the report said the implementation of the Act would negatively affect the basis of true federalism in Nigeria.

It was as a result of this that one of the governors told THISDAY that the meeting would be discussing the implication of allowing labour matters to remain on the exclusive federal list.
“It is our belief that we shall be asking that labour and all labour-related matters should be moved to the concurrent list of the constitution, so that states would be able to negotiate with labour leaders in their respective states,” he said.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/, report/100182/
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Yeske2(m): 12:41pm On Oct 12, 2011
Best - NONE
worst - ALL
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by SouthEast2: 4:40pm On Oct 12, 2011
The following states were described as healthy and therefore can pay the 30-per-cent incremental wage bill. They are: Abia, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Bauchi, Bayelsa, Delta, Gombe, Imo, Jigawa, Kebbi, Kwara, Lagos, Nasarawa, Oyo and Rivers.

I understand that Nigeria as a whole is a poor country, albeit self-induced poverty.
But let's do some basic math here
3 of 5 SE states are healthy (by Nigerian standards)
2 of 6 SW states are healthy by the same standards
Not even considering that one-half of Lagos is essentially Igbo?

Who is better off?
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by SouthEast2: 4:42pm On Oct 12, 2011
Plateau has N28.1 billion as total revenue with N15.99 billion as personnel cost or a 56.9 per cent.
According to the source, states described as unhealthy are Cross River, Ebonyi, Enugu, Kaduna, Kogi, O[b]gun, Ondo[/b], Taraba and Yobe.

2 of 5 SE states are unhealthy

2 of  6 SW states are unhealthy
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by SouthEast2: 4:45pm On Oct 12, 2011
Other states listed to be in critical positions include Adamawa, Benue, Edo, Ekiti, Osun and Plateau.
Specifically, the report stated that Adamawa with a yearly revenue base of N29.2 billion will expend N15.21 billion on salaries and wages, which represent a 52.1 per cent of personnel cost of the total revenue, while Benue with a N35.3 billion yearly revenue, which yearly salaries will gulp N19.37 billion or 54.9 per cent of personnel cost.
0 of 5 SE states is listed as critical (highly, highly unhealthy)
2 of 6 SW states are listed as critical (Ekiti, land of paper professors and Osun, land of rascals)

Who is worse off?

I dey laugh oh! And am doing so in Aregbesola language
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by slap1(m): 6:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
Nairaland is becoming something else. . . Instead of contributing sensibly to what looks like a good thread, tribal merchants are busy doing their thing.
@Topic, no state is Naija is healthy, if you ask me.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by SouthEast2: 6:51pm On Oct 12, 2011
So practically MOST Yoruba states cannot survive if oil money is taken from their mouth.
No wonder separation from Nigeria is not an option in those parts.
I told them not to prance about with some phoney GDP figures based solely on fed allocation.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by asha80(m): 6:52pm On Oct 12, 2011
alj_harem:

Look call me what ever you like but the fact is there and you can not change it. Even till today diamond bank and nollywood still exhibit tribalism towards the yorubas on a daily bases even though they have bases in lagos, ogun and other states.

There is no going back to the topic because to brought the issue up.

Even your ojukwu said "he would should have been the president" Now which person would want a tribal leader to be the president ? not to talk of Ojukwu the Biafran default president and warlord.

Or the tribalism exhibited by Igbos on the edo and delta people is not enough. TILL TODAY EDO AND DELTA PEOPLE ARE GRATEFUL TO AWOLOWO. From western Ijaw, itsekiri, urhobo, bini etc you name it this groups loved awolowo. Now tell me a group in the east that loved Ojukwu or Nnamdi, since awolowo brought tribalism.

The only people hating Awolowo are the Igbos born out of hate and jealousy

Maybe you can explain this

Before we knew it, Biafran troops were in Benin City and en-route to Lagos. The Republic of Benin was created and it subsequently became the shortest Republic that ever was. Before we knew it, all our Igbo friends and neighbors started saying “Kedu” to us. When you turn around to look at him in surprise, he would say, “Ah, unah, you never begin learn? Na wa. I’m sorry oh.” The big question was: Learn what? Do you mean Igbo is becoming the lingua-franca in “Benin Republic?” Biafran troops were in control and from all practical purposes, the people were being intimidated, etc. Basically, Benin Republic was functionally a colony of Biafra.

http://www.republicreport.com/why-biafra-did-not-survive-written-by-alen-ighedosa/

Maybe you can explain this

do not let physicsMED see this
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Areosapien(f): 6:53pm On Oct 12, 2011
Imo no dey carry last! I love my homestate, yes I dooo! cool
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 12, 2011
South.East:

0 of 5 SE states is listed as critical (highly, highly unhealthy)
2 of 6 SW states are listed as critical (Ekiti, land of paper professors and Osun, land of rascals)

Who is worse off?

I dey laugh oh! And am doing so in Aregbesola language

You are mouthing off too much and you are tempting me to resume my favourite pastime; Baiting and bashing monkeys like you.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by tpia5: 7:03pm On Oct 12, 2011
The governors of the 36 states will today meet to consider a report that listed 16 states as “bankrupt”, nine “unhealthy”, six “critical” and five “distressed” as a result of the implementation of the minimum wage which commenced August 2011.

so what are they planning to do with the list.

anything tangible?
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by MrGlobe(m): 7:05pm On Oct 12, 2011
^ Theatre as usual
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Areosapien(f): 7:07pm On Oct 12, 2011
South.East:

I told them not to prance about with some phoney GDP figures based solely on fed allocation.

LOOOOL! I remember when Eko-Ile the genetic garbage and his gang of autistic bottom-feeders came parading some heavily useless list of states based on federal allocation, as some cheap form of claiming some juvenile superiority. Omo, I laughed like maaad that day! grin because anyone who can rightfully claim to have taken his Junior WAEC exams would know that such lists are meaningless when it comes to really determining the financial state of an administrative region.
How can one present a list on federal allocation without even factoring in the population and financial cohesion in the respective states? grin Some people are really dense sha.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Diligence: 7:07pm On Oct 12, 2011
It is intriguing how enthusiastic we are in discussg what sharply divides us!

YET we don't want to stay apart,
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:24pm On Oct 12, 2011
i pity for my state! Edo get plenty natural resources but these politif-cians will not harness it, instead they want already made! Smh!
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by mensdept: 7:27pm On Oct 12, 2011
Every part of the country, and ALL the institutions are a failure. To fly abroad na Oyibo airline you go use. To play Nations Cup, na foreign based 3rd stringers you dey play, to collect university transcipt na N 25,000 naira you go use bribe, to build national assembly, na German contractors you go take, for medical checkup, na Arabia abi England doctors you go pay in their currency. For church or Mosque, copy copy fake pastors wey watch American Gospel channels you dey give tides. To marry, aristo chicks wey punan.i beaten up plenty for n200 phone credit dey line up and demand heavy bride price. Every state, every Nigg.a-Area tribe

Shame
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by asha80(m): 7:31pm On Oct 12, 2011
mens dept:

Every part of the country, and ALL the institutions are a failure. To fly abroad na Oyibo airline you go use. To play Nations Cup, na foreign based 3rd stringers you dey play, to collect university transcipt na N 25,000 naira you go use bribe, to build national assembly, na German contractors you go take, for medical checkup, na Arabia abi England doctors you go pay in their currency. For church or Mosque, copy copy fake pastors wey watch American Gospel channels you dey give tides. To marry, aristo chicks wey punan.i beaten up plenty for n200 phone credit dey line up and demand heavy bride price. Every state, every Nigg.a-Area tribe

Shame

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-767150.0.html
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by MMM2(m): 8:09pm On Oct 12, 2011
all d state in 9ja re worst angry
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by realchange: 8:11pm On Oct 12, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No they are not all "worst". Some are clearly better than others. I don't know why Nigerians like lying a lot. Why can't you guys face the facts for once?
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by mallorca(m): 8:13pm On Oct 12, 2011
Anambra, Home for All
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Rhino5dm: 8:15pm On Oct 12, 2011
How can you compare the economy of the east with that of  west? When i know Lagos alone is richer than that the whole SE put together? Grown up adults with daft minds.

Only a fooool will place Lagos side by side with any other state in Nigeria. Come to think of a state with economy that equals that of Ghana, yet tribal bigos are busy displaying their mumu-ish qualities.

Iam making a bold challange that Lagos alone is far far greater than the whole SE, economy wise. Prove me wrong.

Let set the records straight. . .begins
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Ufeolorun(m): 8:21pm On Oct 12, 2011
South.East:

I understand that Nigeria as a whole is a poor country, albeit self-induced poverty.
But let's do some basic math here
3 of 5 SE states are healthy (by Nigerian standards)
2 of 6 SW states are healthy by the same standards
Not even considering that one-half of Lagos is essentially Igbo?

Who is better off?

You have serious self esteem issues and its shocking that you find it hard to use  even the anonymity that this platform provides to hide it shocked shocked
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by member479760: 8:40pm On Oct 12, 2011
who no go no no! go calaba!!
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by mbatuku1: 8:44pm On Oct 12, 2011
alj_harem:

Ethnic cleaning can be defined as the act of killing a group of people no matter how small based on their ethnic group, skin colour etc.

Genocide is what u meant to say

Then you do not know the meaning of ethnic cleaning.

Can you tell me the link between ethnic cleansing and genocide?
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 8:45pm On Oct 12, 2011
Aji sebi [size=18pt]OYO[/size] laari, [size=18pt]OYO[/size] ki se bi Baba enikankan
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by monkeyleg: 8:52pm On Oct 12, 2011
another pointless thread digging for sheet in a cesspit. Really how does this change things in Nigeria? we have gotten ourselves into such a lazy state that we are looking for success out of nothing. If the truth must be told there is no difference between states, they are all classed as failed , what is with ths our constant self deceit?
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by PhysicsQED(m): 8:58pm On Oct 12, 2011
asha 80:

do not let physicsMED see this

I've seen it. Yeah it was a colony of Biafra, and there was intimidation and atrocities were committed according to various accounts, but this part

"Before we knew it, all our Igbo friends and neighbors started saying “Kedu” to us. When you turn around to look at him in surprise, he would say, “Ah, unah, you never begin learn? Na wa. I’m sorry oh.” The big question was: Learn what? Do you mean Igbo is becoming the lingua-franca in “Benin Republic?”"

sounds like nonsense. He should provide evidence if he really wants something like this to be believed.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by freecocoa(f): 9:03pm On Oct 12, 2011
These people should stop fooling themselves joor,Nigeria is a failed Nation.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by LordNaya: 9:32pm On Oct 12, 2011
Igbos i hail thee!!! 3 out of 5 SE states healthy after paying minimum wage while non is in a critical condition. This shows that the blessed Igbo race cant be intimidated by de wickedness of de nigerian state or by tribalist becos of God's graces nd favours. Can a pack of lions be intimidated by a herd of sheeps? No way!! Ndi Igbo ekene m'unu. Cha cha cha Ndi Igbo kwenu!! Haaa!!! Nwa nnem Ndewo nu!!
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by BiafranFirstSon(m): 9:41pm On Oct 12, 2011
Anyone whose state is mentioned as critical cannot agree therefore calling Nigeria a failed state. From 1960 Nigeria has been failng. Let no one pretend that it started today. IMO is my state.My state did not fail. Your state can be a failure. Like freecocoa who hails from Ekiti! I can read bitterness from you.
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by aljharem3: 9:49pm On Oct 12, 2011
BiafranFirstSon:

Anyone whose state is mentioned as critical cannot agree therefore calling Nigeria a failed state. From 1960 Nigeria has been failng. Let no one pretend that it started today. IMO is my state.My state did not fail. Your state can be a failure. Like freecocoa who hails from Ekiti! I can read bitterness from you.

who told you she hailed from ekiti ?

she is likely to come from ebonyi or SE

anyway here where about is not material in the discussion
Re: Best And Worst States In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 9:55pm On Oct 12, 2011
BiafranFirstSon:

On top of that,we've been producing the highest number of graduates in Nigeria for nearly 30 consecutive years.Imo I hail una.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sokoto Discovers Coal In Commercial Quantity / Bashir Ahmad Denies Being A DPR Manager Or Staff / Anambra Officially Gazetted As An Oil Producing State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.