Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

"Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC (17868 Views)

Ukraine Losses 40,000 personnel As At 16th April 2022 / Turkey: Avalanche Kills Dozens Of Rescuers (Photos) / Dozens Of Bodyguards Surrounding Kim Jong Un's Limousine In Vietnam(Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Godszilla: 5:51am On Aug 29, 2023
There has been a dramatic rise in Ukraine's number of dead, according to new estimates by unnamed US officials. The BBC's Quentin Sommerville has been on the front line in the east, where the grim task of counting the dead has become a daily reality.

The unknown soldiers lie piled high in a small brick mortuary, not very far from the front line in Donetsk, where 26-year-old Margo says she speaks to the dead.

"It may sound weird… but I'm the one who wants to apologise for their deaths. I want to thank them somehow. It's as if they can hear, but they can't respond."

At her cluttered desk outside the mortuary's heavy door, she sits, pen in hand. It is her job to record the particulars of the fallen.

Ukraine gives no official toll of its war dead - the Ukrainian armed forces have reiterated that their war casualty numbers are a state secret - but Margo knows the losses are huge.

The figures remain classified. But US officials, quoted by the New York Times, recently put the number at 70,000 dead and as many as 120,000 injured. It is a staggering figure, from an armed forces estimated at only half a million strong. The UN has recorded 9,177 civilian deaths to date.

On Margo's inside right arm is a small tattoo of a mother and child, with the birthdate of her son recorded. Her manicured nails are painted in Ukrainian colours. She wears a black T-shirt with the words "I'M UKRAINIAN" on the front.

"The hardest is when you see a dead young guy who hasn't even reached 20, 22 years old. And realising they didn't die their own death," she says. "They were killed. They were killed for their own land. That's the most painful. You cannot get used to this. It's now getting to the point where it's just about [helping] the boys reach home."

The most difficult day of her life, she says, was when her common-law husband was brought into the mortuary on the day he died. Twenty-three-year-old Andre was killed in battle on 29 December 2022.

"He died while defending his motherland," she says. "But then, for the umpteenth time, I've convinced myself that I should be here, I should be helping the fallen."

The job has made her hard - like steel, she says. And no matter how painful it is to see the bodies being brought into the mortuary, she says she never cries in public.

"I keep all of this inside me [until] the evening when I come home. No-one sees my tears."

[b]As recently as April, leaked estimates from the Pentagon put Ukrainian deaths at the much lower figure of 17,500. The alleged jump to more than 70,000 can be partly explained by the counter-offensive in the south. In its early days it was especially hard on Ukrainian infantry - "worse than Bakhmut" [/b]one brigade commander who is fighting there told me. The city in Donestsk fell to Russia in May in one of the bloodiest battles of the war so far.

Ukraine has now changed tactics there, but the beginning of the push to breach Russia's occupation defences in June was costly, for young newly trained soldiers in particular. They were dying "by the dozens" every day, one senior sergeant fighting around the Donetsk village of Velyka Novosilka told me in June.

At the mortuary, one of a number along the front line, they work to put names to the unknown soldiers, who come direct from the battlefield.

Body bags are brought outside, one at a time, and the search for clues begins. Inside the first body bag is the corpse of a young man, his eyes still open, his hands folded carefully across his lap. His face is cut, and there is a gash on the side of his leg. Another body is brought out, the fingers missing on the right hand, blood and battlefield mud stain his uniform.

Their pockets are cut open by mortuary staff, still full of the artefacts of everyday life - keys, a mobile phone, a wallet with family snaps. In death, these items are now clues that might reunite the unidentified with their families.

Written in black marker pen on another body bag, the word "Unidentified" is scored out and replaced with a man's name and army company details.

More body bags emerge, but reporting restrictions don't allow me to say how many.

A group of soldiers - commanders of various ranks - arrive in an army pick-up truck and pace outside the mortuary, smoking cigarettes. They inspect one body, to see if the soldier is from their platoon, company or battalion. It looks like he was killed in an artillery strike - part of his head is missing and the wounds to his body are severe, even worse when he is turned over.

"This is difficult. Unpleasant. But it's needed, part of our job. We have to give the boys a proper send-off," says a deputy battalion commander who goes by the call sign "Avocat".

More men from his unit will be brought to aid in the identification of the body, he says.

The reality of the scale of casualties is laid bare in Ukraine's cemeteries.

In the late afternoon sun around Krasnopilske cemetery in Dnipro, the heads of the sunflowers hang heavy - an honour-guard for the freshly dug graves that spread ever closer to the perimeter.

At one such graveside, 31-year-old Oksana weeps alone. Pictures of her dead husband Pavlo gaze down on her. The bearded and brawny junior sergeant was a power-lifting champion and personal trainer. He was killed during Ukraine's previous counter-offensive, near the city of Izium in November when a missile from a Russian helicopter struck his convoy.

He voluntarily went to defend our country," Oksana says. "He was a warrior at heart - freedom loving. He was the embodiment of our Ukrainian spirit."

It took time to identify Pavlo's body - he, along with others in the car, was badly burnt. Eventually he was recognised by a tattoo.

The yellow and blue of Ukrainian flags whip above each grave in the gentle breeze - there are hundreds of them. Each is a marker in the great tide of loss that sweeps daily across eastern and southern battlefields, filling cemeteries in towns and villages the length and breadth of Ukraine

A year and a half into this war, few families here have been left untouched by grief.

But still, there appears to be no slackening in the will to fight. If anything, the losses have, for now, galvanised the determination for victory.

Oksana and Pavlo made a wartime pact that if he died, she would join the military. For the past two months she's been serving as part of an aerial surveillance drone unit, on the outskirts of Bakhmut.

A week after we met in the cemetery, Oksana is in full body armour and heading to a forward position in search of a Russian anti-tank unit which is targeting Ukrainian forces. When we get there, the sound of artillery, almost entirely outgoing fire, is deafening.

I ask her why she put herself in harm's way? It is her moral duty, she says, as she plays with the silver wedding ring on her right hand.

She says: "I just need to continue what he started. So, all his efforts were not in vain. Volunteering and donations are all good, but I want to be a part of it, a part of our victory in the future."

Ukrainian Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar earlier released a statement warning that those who release casualty numbers would be liable to criminal prosecution.

"Why is this data secret?" she asked rhetorically. "Because during the active phase of the war, the enemy uses the number of dead and wounded to calculate our likely further actions… If the enemy has this information, they will begin to understand some of our next steps."

The toll of the war hangs heavy on the men of the 68th Jaeger Brigade, who are fighting to stop Russian advances on the eastern front, near the town of Kupiansk.

In 35C-plus temperatures, we sought some shelter under camouflage netting, away from the midday heat and the ever-present danger of Russian drones. A deputy battalion commander who goes by the call-sign "Lermontov" was in a reflective and dark mood. Over freshly brewed coffee, he predicted a long war.

The Russians won't stop, he said, "you can't negotiate with them". The West doesn't understand this. Young soldiers who expected to be home in a year realise now, he said, they will be gone longer.

He is a veteran of the fight in Donbas, he's been fighting Russia and its proxies since 2014. How long then did he expect this war to last? "Another 10 years," he replied.

His grim mood was understandable. On 1 August, the brigade's sergeant major and two other sergeants were killed in a single Russian mortar strike. "He was a legend," Lermontov said. The dead man's car was parked where he had left it, a few feet away. His personal belongings still inside.

As we spoke, Lermontov's phone buzzed. It was the mother of a soldier killed the week before. She wanted to know why young men with guns were being sent to attack Russian trenches if Ukraine had been gifted so much modern Western weaponry. But on this 600-mile front line many brigades lack the latest armoured vehicles or long-range guns. The reality is that in many of the trenches, Ukrainian soldiers have to make do. "I don't have an answer for her, she doesn't understand… we don't have everything," he told me.

At a medal ceremony, in the garden of a house which serves as a company base, I meet the brigade's commander, Colonel Oleksii. He had just returned from the sergeant major's funeral.

He told me: "We had two big [Russian attacks]. I think we were very successful, we found around 35 bodies. So I think basically we demolished one company."

Overall Russia's casualties are far greater, some 120,000 dead according to the latest US estimate. But its army, and population, is far larger. Ukrainian soldiers at the front line say Russia's ability to absorb pain appears limitless.

I ask Colonel Oleksii what he tells the families of the fallen.

"I just ask for forgiveness that I have not provided enough safety. Maybe I was a bad leader, bad planning. And I thank them for what they gave for this fight."
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66581217.amp

6 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by anonymous1759(m): 6:24am On Aug 29, 2023
angry
Ukraine is losing the war yet Russian’s casualties are far greater keep on using propaganda until there’s no one left in Ukrainian. The comedian has absolutely achieved nothing in this war.
Ukraine has not joined NATO or EU, you’ve lost four regions , weaponry, soldiers, civilians, economy and territory.
Russia has something to show for the war despite suffering casualties.

161 Likes 14 Shares

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Mynd44: 6:30am On Aug 29, 2023
Anybody who expected Ukraine to win this without direct involvement of the US and other NATO countries was just being sentimental.

Russia is a much more potent enemy.

132 Likes 15 Shares

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 6:31am On Aug 29, 2023
una neva see anything, next time u hear nato u run...

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Lordbinsmar: 6:31am On Aug 29, 2023
Werey pipu

5 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by flexyrule(m): 6:32am On Aug 29, 2023
An unnecessary war.

God bless the dead

14 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by KingLennon(m): 6:32am On Aug 29, 2023
War should always be the last option. Why didn't the US army send their own soldiers to the frontline to defend Ukraine? But yet, they are supporting Nigeria against Niger. If the war happens, Nigerians will die and Nigeriens will also die. The winner will be the fuckèn whites sad

118 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Haryour12(m): 6:33am On Aug 29, 2023
Thought they've been winning the war

The media's been giving us different information from actual reality o, I even read on NL days ago how some chopper were redirecting Russian Military supplies to Ukraine

Nawa o
Make Zelensky better beg Putin the Great

40 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by tydi(m): 6:33am On Aug 29, 2023
Senseless war
This will be a child's play to what will happen to the northern part of Nigeria if Ebola mistakenly invade Niger

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by CalabarPikin: 6:34am On Aug 29, 2023
Ukraine is winning in deed

6 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by israelmao(m): 6:34am On Aug 29, 2023
If Trump were in power war wouldn't have broken out between Ukraine and Russia,Biden-led government has caused U.S to lose some respect within the global community.This is a needless and foolish war.Both Putin and US leaders who are serving their selfish interests at the expense of lives of children,women and young men in Urkraine and Russia and shall all face divine retribution.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by ezedjamez: 6:34am On Aug 29, 2023
[color=#000099][/color] thats just the fact
anonymous1759:
angry
Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by MVLOX(m): 6:34am On Aug 29, 2023
Na wa ooo
Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Judolisco(m): 6:34am On Aug 29, 2023
Dem push una to fight Russia... People wey dey push una no dey fight war for their country oh.... Ukraine mumu sha

25 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by crossfm: 6:35am On Aug 29, 2023
Hehehe.

Biden just push you guy's to war, instead of backing you people,he is busy backing LGBTQ people all over the world grin.

The life's of LGBTQ people matter's to Biden,than that of the people of Ukraine.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by raskymonojendor: 6:35am On Aug 29, 2023
Sounds like propaganda for Ukraine to be sent more weapons.

Whichever way, War is bad. This is what some bad apples are wishing for Nigeria because their Presidential candidate lost.
Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Flier: 6:36am On Aug 29, 2023
Mynd44:
Anybody who expected Ukraine to win this without direct involvement of the US and other NATO countries was just being sentimental.

Russia is a much more potent enemy.
They can win it’s just a matter of time but might not be militarily,unrest may start in Russia and russia will withdraw just like its past wars with Afghanistan and USA vs Vietnam
That is what they called winning,this is the only way to beat a super power (grind them till their citizens start protest)beside Ukraine isn’t a joke either,Russia just have too many soldiers to lose

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by raskymonojendor: 6:37am On Aug 29, 2023
anonymous1759:
angry
Ukraine is losing the war yet Russian’s casualties are far greater keep on using propaganda until there’s no one left in Ukrainian. The comedian has absolutely achieved nothing in this war.
Ukraine has not joined NATO or EU, you’ve lost four regions , weaponry, soldiers, civilians, economy and territory.
Like the admittance of Finland and Sweden to NATO.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Simpleshafee(m): 6:38am On Aug 29, 2023
I don't think Ukraine will ever win this war.

3 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by ecolime(m): 6:38am On Aug 29, 2023
Needless deaths

2 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by kingthreat(m): 6:39am On Aug 29, 2023
Ukraine keeps hiding its casualties as a reason to continue fighting a war that should have been settled since last year.
A peace meeting should be set up. If the Donbass doesn't want to be with Ukraine, let them go. Let the bloody war end.

87 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Parachoko: 6:40am On Aug 29, 2023
If Ukraine does not negotiate with Russia soon, I don't see this war ending anytime soon.

The war is turning to a war of Attrition. I don't see Ukraine wining on the long run. Russia have the upper hand because they have more population and have far more equiptment than the Ukrainians who will never have enough weapons till the war end.

92 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Shedrack777: 6:41am On Aug 29, 2023
where all those people hailin ukrain? hope you can see peace is the option now

8 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Omnivalent(m): 6:41am On Aug 29, 2023
Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by anonymous1759(m): 6:41am On Aug 29, 2023
raskymonojendor:

Like the admittance of Finland and Sweden to NATO.

Preventing Ukraine from joining NATO. Taking four regions and demilitarizing Ukrainian military. Ukraine share a 40km boarder with Russia while Finland and Sweden share 1-2000 km boarder with Russia which is still far that’s a gain to NATO not Ukraine.

12 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Flier: 6:42am On Aug 29, 2023
anonymous1759:
angry
Ukraine is winning! If you take where Ukraine was before this war into consideration,Russia has lost its influence,lost neighbors and rendered ineffective .Russia will not be able to invade another country for the next 50 years
Losing Finland to NATO is a blunder of the century

4 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by raskymonojendor: 6:42am On Aug 29, 2023
anonymous1759:

Preventing Ukraine from joining NATO. Taking four regions and demilitarizing Ukrainian military. Ukraine share a 40km boarder with Russia while Finland and Sweden share 1-2000 km boarder with Russia which is still far that’s a gain to NATO not Ukraine.
NATO gained more militarily advanced and rich nations into it's rank and more closer to Russia with respect to border than ever. It was pointless invading Ukraine.

4 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by stanluiz(m): 6:44am On Aug 29, 2023
Who is winning the war in Ukraine ? The answer is very simple. US defense companies like Boeing, lockdeen Martins , Rytheon etc and their paid politicians in Congress and Washington.

41 Likes

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by raskymonojendor: 6:45am On Aug 29, 2023
stanluiz:
Who is winning the war in Ukraine ? The answer is very simple. US defense companies like Boeing, lockdeen Martins , Rytheon etc and their paid politicians in Congress and Washington.
After this propaganda piece from BBC. I expect Zelensky will be sent more weapons from America.

BBC won't report Russian deaths. It's against their agenda since America doesn't sell arms to Russia.

Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by AwokenVawulence: 6:46am On Aug 29, 2023
Av
Re: "Dying By The Dozens Every Day" - Ukraine Losses Climb - BBC by Mantilla(m): 6:47am On Aug 29, 2023
War is never an option. I hope my fellow Igbos will learn from this. Ukraine will be wiped out from the face of the earth if they don't stop already.

Do you understand that as soon as another president comes in as US president, he might call of the war. What happens to Ukraine then?

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Revolution Loading In Malawi, As The People Say No More Oppression (Video) / Angola Exits OPEC / "No Peace Un­til Rus­sia’s Goals In Ukraine Are Achieved", Says President Putin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.