Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,614 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons (7480 Views)

Nigerian Airforce Acquires Sophisticated Aircraft To Protect Nigeria / FG Approves Construction Of Rail To Link Oil Depots; Commissions 20 Oil Wagons / Nigeria Railway Commission Commissions Additional 20 Light Oil Tank Wagons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by SAKUR: 1:36am On Oct 15, 2011
Osun Acquires Four Locomotives •pays Railway For Rehabilitation Of Sub-station

As part of its plan to assist farmers and boost the economy of Osun State by transporting agricultural produce to Lagos through rail line free-of-charge, the state government has acquired four locomotives of 40 coaches and 40 wagons.

The state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Sunday Akere, who disclosed this while briefing journalists after the state 8th Executive Council meeting in Osogbo on Wednesday, said that the locomotives were currently being constructed in China and when the works are completed on them, they would be brought to the state.

Explaining the rationale behind the project, the commissioner said that the objective was to increase income and revenue, as well as using it to create employment for the youths in the state, adding that the state has also paid the Nigeria Railway Cooperation to repair Dagbolu railways sub-station.

According to him, the state Executive Council has also approved the construction of a mid-regional market at Dagbolu area, saying, “we are starting an Osun mid-regional market at Dagbolu and this has to come into place because of the intention of the governor to make Osun the nerve commercial centre of the South-West”.

On the payment of salaries of workers in the state civil service, Akere said the salaries of the workers for the month of August had been paid on Tuesday, while that of September would be paid by next week.

Explaining the basis for the delay in the payment of the workers’ salaries, the commissioner said “We have to emphasize again that the delay of payment of salaries was not the fault of the government at all.

“We all know that there was a strike which lasted for a month in August and the workers returned on the 5th of September.

At the Executive Council meeting we had on the 7th of September, we were told by those preparing the salaries that because of the new salary table, the working out of the salaries will take long.

We decided to pay the August salaries with old salary table and we will then use the new table for September as well as paying the arrears, but the leadership of the labour union said that they would wait until the salaries’ preparation is completed with the new table.

“Earlier before now, there had been standing order from the governor that salaries of workers in every month must not exceed 26th day of the month, but unfortunately because of the disruption on the payment of salaries in the last two months, the salaries of October will be paid by latest the first week of November and the subsequent ones would be regular”, he noted.

On the rehabilitation of township roads that had been approved by the government, Akere said that the council was briefed at its meeting by the Ministry of Works that the contractor handling the job had requested for a two-week extension for the rain to subside, with a view to ensuring that sordid jobs are not done on the roads and the request was granted.

He further noted that the council had approved the revival and establishment of Ayegbaju market, Osogbo, saying that the idea was prompted with a view to decongesting the roadsides of market women, who have been trading by the roadsides and give them a more comfortable place.

The commissioner further revealed that the council had approved the establishment of a revival centre tagged Open Heaven Arena, that would accommodate 200,000 worshippers at a time, saying that the idea was also muted to promote sales and improve the economy of the state.

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=20783
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by aljharem3: 1:40am On Oct 15, 2011
According to him, the state Executive Council has also approved the construction of a mid-regional market at Dagbolu area, saying, “we are starting an Osun mid-regional market at Dagbolu and this has to come into place because of the intention of the governor to make Osun the nerve commercial centre of the South-West”.

Nope Lagos and Ibadan are already are

no point in Osun joining in

Infact ogun state has a better chance than Osun

fact !!!

Once Lagos, Osun and Oyo are truly connected, then Osun ekiti, delta and edo should join in
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by EkoIle1: 1:56am On Oct 15, 2011
Great move.

This makes me so happy. Nothing like great public administrators with good vision, great sense of porpose and community?

Kudos,
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Gayigaskia(m): 2:01am On Oct 15, 2011
Free of Charge So how it is going to be sustainable for the years to come
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by aljharem3: 2:02am On Oct 15, 2011
Eko Ile:

Great move.

This makes me so happy. Nothing like great public administrators with good vision, great sense of porpose and community?

Kudos,

how is a railway in Osun a great move ?

Educate me, thanks
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by aljharem3: 2:02am On Oct 15, 2011
Gayigaskia:

na gode

good question
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Relax101(m): 3:25am On Oct 15, 2011
SAKUR:

As part of its plan to assist farmers and boost the economy of Osun State by transporting agricultural produce to Lagos through rail line free-of-charge, the state government has acquired four locomotives of 40 coaches and 40 wagons.

The state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Sunday Akere, who disclosed this while briefing journalists after the state 8th Executive Council meeting in Osogbo on Wednesday, said that the locomotives were currently being constructed in China and when the works are completed on them, they would be brought to the state.

Explaining the rationale behind the project, the commissioner said that the objective was to increase income and revenue, as well as using it to create employment for the youths in the state, adding that the state has also paid the Nigeria Railway Cooperation to repair Dagbolu railways sub-station.

On the payment of salaries of workers in the state civil service, Akere said the salaries of the workers for the month of August had been paid on Tuesday, while that of September would be paid by next week.

Explaining the basis for the delay in the payment of the workers’ salaries, the commissioner said “We have to emphasize again that the delay of payment of salaries was not the fault of the government at all.

“We all know that there was a strike which lasted for a month in August and the workers returned on the 5th of September.

At the Executive Council meeting we had on the 7th of September, we were told by those preparing the salaries that because of the new salary table, the working out of the salaries will take long.

We decided to pay the August salaries with old salary table and we will then use the new table for September as well as paying the arrears, but the leadership of the labour union said that they would wait until the salaries’ preparation is completed with the new table.

“Earlier before now, there had been standing order from the governor that salaries of workers in every month must not exceed 26th day of the month, but unfortunately because of the disruption on the payment of salaries in the last two months, the salaries of October will be paid by latest the first week of November and the subsequent ones would be regular”, he noted.

On the rehabilitation of township roads that had been approved by the government, Akere said that the council was briefed at its meeting by the Ministry of Works that the contractor handling the job had requested for a two-week extension for the rain to subside, with a view to ensuring that sordid jobs are not done on the roads and the request was granted.

He further noted that the council had approved the revival and establishment of Ayegbaju market, Osogbo, saying that the idea was prompted with a view to decongesting the roadsides of market women, who have been trading by the roadsides and give them a more comfortable place.

The commissioner further revealed that the council had approved the establishment of a revival centre tagged Open Heaven Arena, that would accommodate 200,000 worshippers at a time, saying that the idea was also muted to promote sales and improve the economy of the state.

This is Osun defender so it might be the same propaganda.
But hopefully it comes out true.
But the one that interests me is the regional market. That got me cracking up and only moi why I laughed the way I did.
Good job Alh. Aregbe.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by doctokwus: 6:17am On Oct 15, 2011
No matter how they try to paint dis gov for his deficiencies u can always c d harbingers of a disaster waiting to happen:buying coaches frm CHINA,FREE transport for farm produce on a rail network owed by d FG,salaries being delayed by 2MONTHS,regional mkt,etc,etc.
D only things I see here are avenues of siphoning funds;everytime a policy statement or action or inaction comes out of Aregbesola state,I sadly see resemblAnces to Abia state under Theodore Orji,both shd b millions of miles away frm d seat of power
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by fyneguy: 9:14am On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^You did not make sense with your post.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by kulutempa: 9:59am On Oct 15, 2011
alj_harem:

Educate me, thanks

alj_harem, it is all about improving access to markets by farmers and reducing transportation costs.   Railways are a cheaper, faster and more cost effective method of transporting goods than trucks, and the more farm produce than can be moved by this mode of transport, the more the increase in economic activity in the area.  The same thing happened in America in the 19th century when transcontinental railways opened up America's West.  Read about it here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcontinental_railroad
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by hooged: 10:35am On Oct 15, 2011
Some people are just haters, haters of good thing.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by doctokwus: 10:36am On Oct 15, 2011
fyneguy:

^^^^^^^^^^You did not make sense with your post.
Who is this slowpoke,will u get d pHock off my space,fool
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Ufeolorun(m): 10:44am On Oct 15, 2011
Sustainability its basic economics man!

Its called creating infrastructure and thats why it should and must be free to the farmers as a way of getting the system up and running, and when its fully functional the farmers will pay not only for this service but also by way of increase economic activities (jobs) and taxes to the state government.SW and Nigeria in general the position of economic hub based on agric production is still very much  for grab so the issue of Ibadan or Lagos does not come in at all.

Its just flipping childish to see obviously sensible actions criticized with weak arguments

I have been waiting for Aregbe to announce concrete stuff and this is it and i hope its true,the agric revolution he promissed Osun is on course.Enough of this silly handout and rent seeking structure (oil) it has further impoverished our people and made our politicians more corrupt,let it dry off amin! angry

Am not happy with the pace especially Ajimobi but i will never VOTE PDP(8 years man,8 years angry ) and i dont care how well they(ACN) perform at the end but they should work,its in their political interest to.

Ekiti also announced they are working with Samsung to create ICT engineering centres and wimax internet cities.I hope its true cos we need it more than changing our rusty roofs or building sky scrappers so we can come on Nl to brag about it.

Aregbe is a political Thug,hes our thug and we love him e fii le! and sho igba e!
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by nolongTing: 10:44am On Oct 15, 2011
payment of the minimum wage, development of the transportation links "free of charge", sounds great to me. If it can be implemented and sustained throughout his tenure then I will be truly impressed.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by hooged: 10:51am On Oct 15, 2011
Ufeolorun:

Its called creating infrastructure and thats why it should and must be free to the farmers as a way of getting the system up and running, and when its fully functional the farmers will pay not only for this service but also by way of increase economic activities (jobs) and taxes to the state government.SW and Nigeria in general the position of economic hub based on agric production is still very much for grab so the issue of Ibadan or Lagos does not come in at all.

Its just flipping childish to see obviously sensible actions criticized with weak arguments

I have been waiting for Aregbe to announce concrete stuff and this is it and i hope its true,the agric revolution he promissed Osun is on course.Enough of this silly handout and rent seeking structure (oil) it has further impoverished our people and made our politicians more corrupt,let it dry off amin! angry

Am not happy with the pace especially Ajimobi but i will never VOTE PDP(8 years man,8 years angry ) and i dont care how well they(ACN) perform at the end but they should work,its in their political interest to.

Ekiti also announced they are working with Samsung to create ICT engineering centres and wimax internet cities,i hope its true.

Aregbe is a political Thug,hes our thug and we love him e fii le! and sho igba e!

+ 1
SECONDED

Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Ufeolorun(m): 10:55am On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^^^^^^
O seun jare awe  grin grin grin
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 15, 2011
Aregbesola or what is the fool's name is the worst gov ever in history.No doubt, OP,you must be sick to be propagating the gospel of aregbe via osun defender.go to the capital,Osogbo and see what life has become for them.am so angry.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Nobody: 11:05am On Oct 15, 2011
You people praising him to high heavens are either foolish like him,misinformed or ignorant.Next month is going to be a year he got his 4 years mandate yet he has done nothing to alleviate the suffering of the poor masses that stood by him,
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by goggs(m): 11:22am On Oct 15, 2011
this is a good initiative no doubt but I will like Gov Rauf to note the following,some raised by other posters;

1) I hope he has a solid MOU with the railways. going by PDP's penchant for spoiling good policies, I see someone creating bottle necks and referring to the long-over-due-for-repeal railway act that the rails belong to the FG bla bla bla. This will come once the railways begin diverting the coaches to other parts of the country to serve other needs cos their interest is not the same as that of osun state.

2) a better approach would be to work on legislation to liberalize or privatize the rail network so states and corporations can sign agreements with the rail to serve their need devoid of politics

3)free transportation will not be the way to go rauf. its unsustainable and prone to abuse. farmers going to lagos are not going to donate food; they going to sell food. for sustainability, and so as not to create even distortions in the farmers own account, there is need for a financial revolving scheme to pay for It all funded through some charges. very soon people will abuse this scheme to travel to lagos for weekends for free.

4) there should a holistic strategy for agriculture from extension services in seed selection, land preparation, to planting, to plant management, to harvesting, to storage, to processing, to sale, to simple book keeping and business management

5)well thought out policies are a strong point of the south west throughout Nigeria's history. this should continue
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by seanet02: 11:40am On Oct 15, 2011
Aregbe my man
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Beaf: 12:02pm On Oct 15, 2011
SAKUR:

As part of its plan to assist farmers and boost the economy of Osun State by[size=14pt] transporting agricultural produce to Lagos through rail line free-of-charge[/size], the state government has acquired four locomotives of 40 coaches and 40 wagons.

. . .

Explaining the rationale behind the project, the commissioner said that the objective was to increase income and revenue, as well as using it to create employment for the youths in the state, [size=14pt]adding that the state has also paid the Nigeria Railway Cooperation to repair Dagbolu railways sub-station.[/size]
. . .

[size=14pt]Na who be di maga?[/size]

In the meantime, here is the railway map of Nigeria. Where is "Dagbolu?" Is it on non-existent track?

E ro ra o! grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by seanet02: 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2011
Look at this man with his fake map?
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by seanet02: 12:19pm On Oct 15, 2011
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Na who be di maga?[/size]

In the meantime, here is the railway map of Nigeria. Where is "Dagbolu?" Is it on non-existent track?

E ro ra o! grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Here is a list of Cities with Railway service in Nigeria>
You are too lazy to learn
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Akanbiedu(m): 12:29pm On Oct 15, 2011
He is not lazy, just doing his mischievious job.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by erookan: 12:35pm On Oct 15, 2011
I think the resources should have been spent on something else for the following reasons:
i. Federal Government through Nigerian Railway Corporation is seriously working on re-activating railway system. The track and bridges had been assessed and undergoing strengthening. Rehabilitation of bridge locations had been advertised in punch newspaper for contractors to bid.

ii. The same railway track (western line) used by NRC will be used by proposed locomotive, coaches & wagons since we don't have dual track from Lagos to Osun. This will affect the operation of the proposed locomotives.

iii. I wonder the track gauge type they are bringing to Nigeria, our track gauge is obsolete and NRC is planning upgrading the tracks after those on ground are  operated for some time.  

It is important they consider these factors so that the opponent will not cash on opportunity to attack his good intension
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Beaf: 12:46pm On Oct 15, 2011
seanet02:

Here is a list of Cities with Railway service in Nigeria>
You are too lazy to learn 

Bruv, where is the list na? LOLZ!
Aregbesola is just telling his usual high stories. Na who be di maga?
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Gayigaskia(m): 1:38pm On Oct 15, 2011
Ufeolorun:

Its called creating infrastructure and thats why it should and must be free to the farmers as a way of getting the system up and running, and when its fully functional the farmers will pay not only for this service but also by way of increase economic activities (jobs) and taxes to the state government.SW and Nigeria in general the position of economic hub based on agric production is still very much  for grab so the issue of Ibadan or Lagos does not come in at all.

Ekiti also announced they are working with Samsung to create ICT engineering centres and wimax internet cities.I hope its true cos we need it more than changing our rusty roofs or building sky scrappers so we can come on Nl to brag about it.

Your argumentation is is poor on this subject my man. I only asked the question, how the system is going to be maintained if it is free. Is the state government going to keep paying for maintenance and upgrades? Now you know that would be a complete disaster in a couple of years cause the FG and the SG have given enough proof that they can't manage anything in this country. The only way this new rail project will stay sustainable is i believe if only it is independently run and managed by itself. therefore users of the train must pay for using it. Look this where our leaders got it wrong most of the time ; its either you practice capitalism or socialism there shouldn't be any cutting corners. And mind you i'm not PDP and not an economist either but i don't think "Free of charge" is a good move for this important project.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by EkoIle1: 1:41pm On Oct 15, 2011
alj_harem:

Educate me, thanks

It i elf explanatory, in fact, it's basic common sense, the same common sense that' sometime hard to utilize when your primary take is till criticize first and last. You have to use your brain and explore the other side of the argument sometime just to see if there is something there.

Osun state obviously audited it's capabilities and abilities to generate funds, to make the state a sustained and commercially viable Agriculture haven, to enrich and empower the people of Osun state and ultimately to develop the state's infrastructure.

They've recognized their agricultural strength and we've all read about the state investing heavily in agriculture  and marking out thousands of acres of agric land to local and foreign investors.

What the government of Osun state jut did with the locomotive ideas is a no brainer because it's one of the golden requirements in modern and sustained agric farming.

Of what use and benefits are your farms and products if at the end of the day, you can not effectively get your products to any major market?

How do you develop as a state if your mainstay which is agric is crippled because your farmers can not get their products to the market.

How do you collect taxes from your crippled and inefficient farmers?

How do you enrich and empower your people without creating interstate economic opportunities for them?

How do you open up your communities to goods, products and services from other states without any good and dedicated transportation?

Obviously, Osun state is taking care of it's own future and destiny and this is what we expect from our public administrators. We want them to carve out their own niche for self sustainable and economic independence. If you want to be a dedicated agric community, then invest in the sector, if you want to be a manufacturing entity, then invest and draw attention to the sector.

I remember when the state brought up their agric idea, the fist question I asked was, how do you get your products and services to major markets around the country especially Lagos? Well, obviously, the state just answered my question and I aloud them for that, this is a sensible and practical approach and I wish them a lot of luck.

This is a bold, creative and dynamic move.

From his actions, the governor is a very dedicated, focused and consistent man, this is what he said back in March, now see what he's doing. Unlike many governors in Nigeria, he put's his money where his mouth is.

IITA to partner Osun on food production

By Olalekan Adetayo
Sunday, 13 Mar 2011

has assured the people of the state that the rail line would soon be active for massive movement of good between Osun and Lagos states.

He disclosed this while discussing with the Director-General of the International Institutes for Tropical Agriculture, Dr Peter Hartmann in Ibadan Oyo State on Wednesday.

The governor disclosed that his vision was to turn the state into business hub of the western region.

He added that arrangements were in top gear with the management of the Nigeria Railway Corporations to facilitate the release of about 34 coaches for the commencement of rail transport in the state.

Aregbesola added that his administration was partnering with the Lagos State government to make Osun the next stop-by market for business transactions and commercial enterprises in the western zone of the country.

He said, “We want to enhance revenue generation of the state by providing food for 10 per cent of the Lagos State population, which could earn the state as much as N200m daily and also provide a viable market for farm produce.”

He added that his administration would also take advantage of the Federal Government’s reactivation of the rail-lines from Lagos to Niger states to enhance and encourage a cheap means of transporting goods in and out of the state.

“We would a create a produce and commodity market for goods produce both locally and imported in Osun where people would buy at the price they buy in Lagos State, which in our believe would promote commercial activities and peoples’ income within the shortest time,” added the governor.

Meanwhile, the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan Oyo State has pledge to partner with Osun State Government to achieve its programme of food security.

The Director-General of the institute, Dr. Peter Hartmann, disclosed this while exchanging views with Osun State Governor, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola, who was at the Institute on fact finding mission on ways to actualise the state agricultural scheme.

http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201103132281032

Now, you really need to get off the senseless criticize anything and everything bandwagon and culture like some other nuisance, it only depicts you as a brainless dullard who can not think and analyze things, but still criticize first and expect other people to do the work by justifying his own criticism with explanation.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Gbawe: 3:48pm On Oct 15, 2011
Gayigaskia:

I don't think every aspect of this is free of charge. There are 40 Coaches (passengers) and 40 Wagons (goods and farm produce) . The Osun Government may make use of the wagons free only to farmers on certain days of the week. At all the times, the Coaches for passengers will probably charge fees and the Wagons can also be hired out for a fee on days not being used by farmers.

The substantive point is that , as per the paramount importance of Agriculture to Osun's progress, Aregbesola is providing a form of subsidy to the farmers akin to how sensible Governments worrldwide invest readily and freely in sectors that secure development. Farmers are extremely well-supported by Governments in the West where national economic activities tend to be far more diverse than what obtains in Nigeria. It is therefore even more important that Osun invests heavily in one of the few sectors it is pinning its hope of development on.

Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by otokx(m): 4:21pm On Oct 15, 2011
cheap talk
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by juman(m): 4:28pm On Oct 15, 2011
^^^^
Let see how it works. If it works well, it would be good.
Re: Osun Acquires Four Locomotives Of 40 Coaches & 40 Wagons by Gbawe: 5:16pm On Oct 15, 2011
otokx:

cheap talk

Indeed. If all Aregbesola is doing is "talking cheaply" , then a lot of clever folks are being taken in by this "cheap talk".

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=20815

Arrangement In Top Gear In Osun Over Rural Access Roads •World Bank, French Agency To Partner State

In line with the arrangement of Governor Rauf Aregbesola-led administration of Osun State to ensure access and mobility in the rural areas, indications have emerged that all arrangements have been nearly completed, for the partnership between Osun State government, the World Bank and French Development Agency on the project.

The indications emerged in Osogbo, the state capital last Wednesday, when the team from the World Bank and the French Development Agency on the Road Access Mobility Projects (RAMP) mission to Nigeria visited the governor.

[b]Explaining the rationale behind the project, the World Bank Head of RAMP team, Mr. Nicolas Pelter, said that Osun was among the four states singled out for the projects, saying that, even among the four states, the state has been taking the lead in the programme.

He stated that the operation would be financed with $315 million, with $195 million coming from the World Bank and $120 million from the French Development Agency.

The World Bank official noted that Osun State was chosen as one of the benefiting states due to the strategies it had been exploring in the area of agriculture and rural access mobility, saying that the Osun Rural Enterprise and Agricultural Programme (OREAP) would go a long in assisting the project.

Revealing that the state was chosen due to its potentials and good governance traits, he said that the state had demonstrated that it deserves to benefit from the 500 kilometres rural access mobility project, as it had again launched pivot for road maintenance in the state.

[/b]
Responding, Aregbesola stated that the agricultural programme of his administration was targeted at ensuring that hunger and food shortage is banished from the state and use it to ensure that wealth is created for the people of the state.

The governor, who applauded the World Bank and the French Development Agency, for identifying access and mobility as the greatest challenge to agricultural production in the state, said, “majority of our people live in rural areas are farmers and access to their community is a challenge, not to talk of bringing their farm produce to markets”.

“We are happy with your support and commend you, but what we need requires national intervention, because what you are supporting us with is small to the need of the country”, he stated.

Speaking on the maintenance of the roads after the projects might have been completed, the governor said, “don’t even bother about maintenance. Whatever support you want to give us, we will take, but we want to give you an assurance that maintenance is our second nature as an administration”.

He hinted that part of the jobs of the 20,000 volunteers of Osun Youths Empowerment Scheme (OYES) was to engage in social and community work, which includes vegetation control on all roads, both tarred and un-tarred in the state.

To make the vegetation control, which he described as one of the greatest aspects of road maintenance easier for the volunteers, the governor said that, “we have placed an order for 600 Standing Moers for the use of the volunteers, because we feel it will be better and easier than the traditional method of doing the vegetation control”.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oct. 1 Bombing Meant To Cause Confusion In Nigeria’ / Enugu State Government Approves Over N2b For Water And Road Projects / Meet The World Poorest President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.