Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,834 members, 7,828,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues (17872 Views)

History Of Tribal Marks ( Yoruba Perspective) + pictures / Words Of Tribal Origin Used As General Slangs & Their Meanings / What Are The Importance Of Tribal Mark? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Afam4eva(m): 11:29am On Oct 17, 2011
@OP

If your fiancee really loves you and you love him back then nothing should a stumbling block. I'm not against inter-tribal marriages but i think i'd rather marry a Yoruba girl than watch my sister marry a Yoruba guy. I know oruba guys very well. I'm not saying all of them are like that but a large percentage of them always go ahead to get another wife. That's why you see that any woman that's serious about marriage will rather marry and Igbo, Efik/Ibibio, Urhobo/Isoko etc.

1 Like

Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by kpolli(m): 11:36am On Oct 17, 2011
^^^^^ I agree with u all the way but fact is there are always exceptions. . . . Most yoruba guys bliv its their rite to have more than one partner. . . some do not
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by cantell(m): 11:47am On Oct 17, 2011
@op,
You call yourself an igbo woman yet you can't even spell your tribe name properly. You call it "ibo" like a non igbo would do.
Surprisingly, you spelt yoruba correctly.
A clear case of my mama say i be igbo. I'm willing to bet my last kobo you can't say a single word in your language.
Go ahead and marry the guy.
Just remember this; you're on your own.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by cantell(m): 12:09pm On Oct 17, 2011
One_Naira:

This is so silly.  Can’t you see this is a made up story from the OP?  What Igbo girl or boy uses the word Ibo rather than Igbo?  
We all know the amount of Igbo women that marry out are limited and we all know the amount of Nigerian parents that deny their children's happiness are limited.

I thought as much.
The topic was started by a yoruba(probably a guy)
I suspected it the moment i read the first page.
How many igbo men and women marry outside their tribe? Most of them even find it difficult to marry igbos from other states except their own.
There are a few exceptions though, but one in a million.
Hausas and igbos rarely marry outside their tribe.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by mekussays: 12:58pm On Oct 17, 2011
I cant believe the advice most people are giving on NL. Nigeria and Nigerian still have a very long way to go. She only asked for advice and some peeps here are insulting the guy.

At poster, follow your heart that is the most important thing to do in life. your parents are not going to be in your marriage or your relationship. We are all Nigerians and thats what is important. My dad is ibo and my mom is yoruba and they have been together for over 30years. ibo - ibo couples or yoruba - yoruba couples doesnt mean automatic happiness in life.

Life is all about being happy cuz its too short to be worried about such as olden days subject such as TRIBALISM.

so FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND FORGET WHAT YOUR PARENTS WANT
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by kpolli(m): 1:03pm On Oct 17, 2011
mekussays:

I cant believe the advice most people are giving on NL. Nigeria and Nigerian still have a very long way to go. She only asked for advice and some peeps here are insulting the guy.

At poster, follow your heart that is the most important thing to do in life. your parents are not going to be in your marriage or your relationship. We are all Nigerians and thats what is important. My dad is ibo and my mom is yoruba and they have been together for over 30years. ibo - ibo couples or yoruba - yoruba couples doesnt mean automatic happiness in life.

Life is all about being happy cuz its too short to be worried about such as olden days subject such as TRIBALISM.

so [size=38pt]FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND FORGET WHAT YOUR PARENTS WANT[/size]

#GBAM
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by omoigbo2: 1:12pm On Oct 17, 2011
Ladies need to be less emotional and also ready to move on.[b]This African mentality of sticking to one man is why they are always the ones issues like this affect more.[/b]My advice is for you to leave the guy.He is not the only guy in the world.You can be dating him without marriage if you so much love him.The guy will definitely move on and marry a choice wife while still dating you.Why can't you do the same?

ode. u just contradicted urself wit that statement. isnt it the african mentality that is causing this problem in the first place? if we care less about rubbish tribes and petty bullsh*t like that, this girl would have been happily married to who ever she would have wanted. but the african mentality is backwards and primitive and has no place in a forward moving diverse society. so saying she should move on is missing the point if "african mentality" is to blame.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by executinal(m): 1:24pm On Oct 17, 2011
@ OP PUSH, Pray until something happen
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by cynthiafred67(f): 1:35pm On Oct 17, 2011
mekussays:

so FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND FORGET WHAT YOUR PARENTS WANT

^^Wow u too knw book God bless ur lecturer
@OP just follow ur heart,
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 2:07pm On Oct 17, 2011
Poster should come and tell us how spelling it as "ibo" makes her less igbo. grin
Since you even have multiple Igbos on NL doing the same. Reminds me of Ibogirl. Dem too dey claim and disclaim. I feel sorry for this girl, she's living amongst neanderthals. no wonder why she sees her Yoruba bobo as her dream man, an escape route to immerse herself into the Yoruba community.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by samtoye(m): 2:52pm On Oct 17, 2011
Reading this thread makes me so disappointed that i'm a Nigerian. If our generation could reason the way they are doing now then Nigeria is doomed!!!! So what hypocrisy do we advocate when we declare ONE Nigeria !!!! Its a shame on all of you and your tribalistic comments !!!! Poster, its a pity you guys found yourself in a wrong society, cruel and mean, surrounded by young people with parochial mindset !!!!! Your parents would grow old and die one day but you shall continue to live with the regrets of not marrying your true love. I am really disappointed in the comments i just read from some prominent Nairalanders !!!!! what a shame!!!! If you dig deep, i'm sure its all about money!!!!! if you are marrying Adenuga's Son, or he is marrying Rochas Okorochas daughter, your parents wont remember tribe difference!!!!
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by kpolli(m): 2:56pm On Oct 17, 2011
samtoye:

Reading this thread makes me so disappointed that i'm a Nigerian. If our generation could reason the way they are doing now then Nigeria is doomed!!!! So what hypocrisy do we advocate when we declare ONE Nigeria !!!! Its a shame on all of you and your tribalistic comments !!!! Poster, its a pity you guys found yourself in a wrong society, cruel and mean, surrounded by young people with parochial mindset !!!!! Your parents would grow old and die one day but you shall continue to live with the regrets of not marrying your true love. I am really disappointed in the comments i just read from some prominent Nairalanders !!!!! what a shame!!!! If you dig deep, i'm sure its all about money!!!!! if you are marrying Adenuga's Son, or he is marrying Rochas Okorochas daughter, your parents wont remember tribe difference!!!!

well said
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by ceaser: 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2011
cantell:

I thought as much.
The topic was started by a yoruba(probably a guy)
I suspected it the moment i read the first page.
How many igbo men and women marry outside their tribe? Most of them even find it difficult to marry igbos from other states except their own.
There are a few exceptions though, but one in a million.
Hausas and igbos rarely marry outside their tribe.
You are dead wrong!!! And that's a lie from the moon.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by mekussays: 3:02pm On Oct 17, 2011
@cynthiafred67

this issue is not learnt in school.  Just take time and read some comment some peeps are writing on NL. it just shows the depth of TRIBALISM we are still facing. In my opinion TRIBALISM is the same as RACISM and should be totally eradicated from our society so we can move forward. TRIBALISM is discrimination to another tribe and it is really sad. The poster said she has been with this guy for 3yrs. So r we saying she has been blind since or she has not being happy?
Some peeps her might take it like a joke but frankly this issue is really deep and disturbing.

@Kpoli

Na so my guy ooooooo

samtoye:

Samtoye we are reasoning on the same lane. i cant actually believe some comments from young nigerians who are complaining about what our elders have done in the past.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by vodkat: 3:02pm On Oct 17, 2011
see foolishness if na mike adenuga son wetin dem go talk, one answer yes so ur family need reality check
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by ceaser: 3:03pm On Oct 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Poster should come and tell us how spelling it as "ibo" makes her less igbo.  grin
Since you even have multiple Igbos on NL doing the same. Reminds me of Ibogirl. Dem too dey claim and disclaim. I feel sorry for this girl, she's living amongst neanderthals. no wonder why she sees her Yoruba bobo as her dream man, an escape route to immerse herself into the Yoruba community.
Spot on!!!
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by ceaser: 3:10pm On Oct 17, 2011
samtoye:

grin
Money!!! Problem wey money go cause, money nor go fit solve am.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by cantell(m): 3:16pm On Oct 17, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Poster should come and tell us how spelling it as "ibo" makes her less igbo.  grin

I laugh in gbanya language. Immerse ke?
Wake up! My guts tells me you're the op.
Like someone said, the op needed to uplift her ego and there's no better way than this.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by BiafranFirstSon(m): 4:01pm On Oct 17, 2011
kpolli:

^^^^^ I agree with u all the way but fact is there are always exceptions. . . . Most yoruba guys bliv its their rite to have more than one partner. . . some do not
[color=#990000][/color] i have lived with them. I was once a victim. Till this moment i give glory to God for saving me. Then i did no see what my parents saw but today, i know better. Inter marriage does not work for everybody. Most People in this forum are just puting it as if the problem is from the girls family, the yorobo guy's family said NO. So why all these igbo this igbo that!
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by ceaser: 4:37pm On Oct 17, 2011
BiafranFirstSon:

[color=#990000][/color] i have lived with them. I was once a victim. Till this moment i give glory to God for saving me. Then i did no see what my parents saw but today, i know better. Inter marriage does not work for everybody. Most People in this forum are just puting it as if the problem is from the girls family, the yorobo guy's family said NO. So why all these igbo this igbo that!
Ibo OR Igbo?
Yorobo OR Yoruba?
Wahala dey o. Lol.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 17, 2011
kpolli:

You are right.
The same way some ibo men will cheat on their wives, even if she happens to be the Finance minster of Nigeria.
Some Yorubas marry more than one wife, some don't. Some ibos kill their wives, or cheat on them, some don't.
That is life.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 4:56pm On Oct 17, 2011
BiafranFirstSon:

So does intra-tribal marriages. If you are ibo and got bludgeoned to death by your ibo husband, I doubt if we can say the marriage has worked for you.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nayah(f): 5:06pm On Oct 17, 2011
Sister, I'm not igbo either Yoruba, but I can understand what you're passing though right now, but the advise I can give you is that the key is between your fiancé's hands
When a guy has a strong mind he could impose his choice to his parents, but on the contrary if he tends to execute everything his parents decide, then there's a big problem: As for me I've always said and I will always do, love has nothing to do with tribes

Now you can feel comfortable because you can have the same traditions and all that, but it's definetely not a guarantee to happiness, sometimes some guys don't do any effort because of that, while some are very curious to discover the culture of his beloved, plus this is a Nigerian union not a Botswanian-Nigerian one
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by vodkat: 5:17pm On Oct 17, 2011
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 17, 2011
cantell:

I laugh in gbanya language.[size=28pt] Immerse ke?[/size]
Wake up! My guts tells me you're the op.
Like someone said, the op needed to uplift her ego and there's no better way than this.

Yes, immerse.
cool

Marrying a Non-Nigerian will not change my children from being 100% Yoruba cool Everyone wants in one way or another.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by parks187: 6:07pm On Oct 17, 2011
if u r my sister i wnt let u marry yoruba guy whether u like it or not
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 17, 2011
parks187:

if u r my sister i wnt let u marry yoruba guy whether u like it or not

As if you truly have any say in that!!
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by lailaiwala: 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2011
op even if its not true tell your parents you've already slept with him for all those 3 years. they know no decent igbo man or any kind of decent african man will marry another man's second-hand. as i see it nothing wrong with andre uweh or people giving her advice. its her parents fault for not stopping her for all those 3 years before it got too serious. most of you are hypocrites.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by GrownMan(m): 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2011
@ christygenius

I am yoruba and God blessed me with a wonderful Ibo chick. We are very happy 2geda. Though neither of our parents had issues with our coming together, my father inlaw is pretty much another Dad to me and my parents the same to my wife.

I can only pray for you my sister, but I would advice you not to listen to all these Ibo this and yoruba that! My wife still sent me a text within the day to thank God for our home and I do the same. We have no issues at all at all other than the normal relationship things. So I am at lost with these comments on inter tribal chats from simingly educated people who have the level of access and education to even use the internet. I guess we still have a long way to go. Nne, seek God and this is from a yoruba man with ONE luvly Ibo wife and thats where it stops. I hope this encourages you which ever way you choose to go. God be with u
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by deadie(m): 7:33pm On Oct 17, 2011
@poster. First of all, you described yourself as 'ibo'. Well, I guess you really deserve a Yoruba guy. Good luck, and please know that we Igbos are really happy to miss you. cheesy
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by christygenius(f): 7:55pm On Oct 17, 2011
Not that i was quiet or enjoying the insults going on here, i was away for sometime, but Meeeen, most of these suggestions re way too scary and quite confusing. All the same, i appreciate ur sincere concern abt this issue. I pray that God will guide me to make the right decision.
Re: Help, My Happiness Is At Stake Because Of Tribal Issues by christygenius(f): 8:00pm On Oct 17, 2011
Not that i was quiet or enjoying the insults going on here, i was away for sometime, but Meeeen, most of these suggestions re way too scary and quite confusing. All the same, i appreciate ur sincere concern abt this issue. I pray that God will guide me to make the right decision.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The History Behind The Name Akwa Ibom: / ‘akatakpa’ Masquerades Banned In Enugu Community / Hierarchy Of Kings In Yoruba Land: The Top 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.