Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,046 members, 7,859,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 06:10 PM

FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO (5791 Views)

Nigeria Revokes Eleven Oil Licenses (names) / FG Unveils 270 Mining Licenses & 56 Oil Firms Owners / Recruitment: House Of Representatives To Review Age Barrier (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by festacman(m): 10:49am On Sep 04, 2023
Good move.
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by AmazingELixir: 11:11am On Sep 04, 2023
cool

Now this is a way to go.
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by garfield1: 12:51pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:
A lot of big grammar with little shift in ideology.
The best and most efficient way of making the mining sector active is to devolve pwr to the states in terms of minerals ownership and administration.
Tinubu in his manifesto talked about devolution of powers but I guess he was just playing.
Is it the same police who have failed at stopping oil bunkering and pipeline damages that you want to monitor mining sites and apprehend illegal miners? As in, our N50 police?
What about those mining sites under the jurisdiction of bandits? Is the police going to take on Dogo Gide et al as illegal miners?
Lastly, I don't think 50% GDP from mining is realistic. That is not good for our economy in the first place and I don't even think we have enough products to achieve that never mind where the investment will come from.

Powers of mining has been devolved since.in crs state,mining Is done by the private sector totally supervised by the state govt.even in zamfara,you will notice that the state govt collect royalties to state which yari mismanaged
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Kukutente23: 12:54pm On Sep 04, 2023
garfield1:

Powers of mining has been devolved since.in crs state,mining Is done by the private sector totally supervised by the state govt.even in zamfara,you will notice that the state govt collect royalties to state which yari mismanaged
When did that happen? Care to share? What is mined in CRS?
I hope you're not the zombie arguing with me about driver's license on another thread cause that moniker is a disgrace
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by garfield1: 1:16pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:

When did that happen? Care to share? What is mined in CRS?
I hope you're not the zombie arguing with me about driver's license on another thread cause that moniker is a disgrace

Limestone,kaolin,barite,chipping stones,granite etc mainly in akamkpa and a few in biase.the igr of the state is mainly from here
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Kukutente23: 1:24pm On Sep 04, 2023
garfield1:

Limestone,kaolin,barite,chipping stones,granite etc mainly in akamkpa and a few in biase.the igr of the state is mainly from here
So which law hands minerals over to states
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by garfield1: 1:42pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:

So which law hands minerals over to states

Where did I say any law hands mining powers to states? I am only telling you in reality that states control mining of mineral resources as the fg is more interested in crude oil
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Kukutente23: 2:02pm On Sep 04, 2023
garfield1:

Where did I say any law hands mining powers to states? I am only telling you in reality that states control mining of mineral resources as the fg is more interested in crude oil
Are you sure you're OK?

https://www.nairaland.com/7827509/fg-review-all-mining-licenses/1#125570114

garfield1:

Powers of mining has been devolved since.
in crs state,mining Is done by the private sector totally supervised by the state govt.even in zamfara,you will notice that the state govt collect royalties to state which yari mismanaged
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by garfield1: 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:

Are you sure you're OK?

https://www.nairaland.com/7827509/fg-review-all-mining-licenses/1#125570114

Oga,they are a lot of private miners that are not registered or licensed with the fg but are working in collusion with the state govts.even the ones licensed are being milked by govs.i think the sensible and intelligent thing for you to do is to go down to a mine and investigate rather than engage in blind argument
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Kukutente23: 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2023
garfield1:

Oga,they are a lot of private miners that are not registered or licensed with the fg but are working in collusion with the state govts.even the ones licensed are being milked by govs.i think the sensible and intelligent thing for you to do is to go down to a mine and investigate rather than engage in blind argument
So you know what the constitution says about mineral resources and what it means to devolve to the states?
Go back and read the Op again
What a shame
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by garfield1: 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:

So you know what the constitution says about mineral resources and what it means to devolve to the states?
What a shame

It is very shameful that you cannot understand simple things as usual.the constitution gives sole right of mining mineral resources to the fg but the states are actually the ones in charge.all these illegal miners are under the cover of states and the FG wants to revisit that hence the review and matching order to illegal miners...
On the other hand,the states have started working to legalize their control of the mines by seeking a constitutional amendment.fayemi as minister started it and a committee was formed when he became gov to harmonize grey areas.hopefully,solid minerals will be taken to the concurrent list in the next amendment.shikena
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Kukutente23: 2:42pm On Sep 04, 2023
garfield1:

It is very shameful that you cannot understand simple things as usual.the constitution gives sole right of mining mineral resources to the fg but the states are actually the ones in charge.all these illegal miners are under the cover of states and the FG wants to revisit that hence the review and matching order to illegal miners...
On the other hand,the states have started working to legalize their control of the mines by seeking a constitutional amendment.fayemi as minister started it and a committee was formed when he became gov to harmonize grey areas.hopefully,solid minerals will be taken to the concurrent list in the next amendment.shikena
Where is the sense in all you've written here?
How are the states in charge when the constitution gives fg sole right?
How has power been devolved when states are just seeking constitution amendment?
Are you not mad with the way you're just rambling nonsense?

Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Fujiyama: 11:25pm On Sep 04, 2023
greatiyk4u:
Umahi who ignorantly built concrete pavement of the Ebonyi airport runway that is costing the state additional money in Billions in converting to asphalt is going round advocating for concrete pavement on all our high ways without knowing the implications of such technology on some parts of the road....

^^^
What are the cons of concrete in road construction? I was told concrete was stronger and more durable than asphalt?
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Fujiyama: 11:32pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:
Is it the same police who have failed at stopping oil bunkering and pipeline damages that you want to monitor mining sites and apprehend illegal miners? As in, our N50 police? Is the police going to take on Dogo Gide et al as illegal miners?

^^^
Yes.

Dele Alake would have us believe that by October 2023 (in less than 30 days) a "specially trained" Mine Police will be created from the NPF - and this Mine Police will be able to do all the security wonders that Alake has promised.

In less than 30 days.
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Fujiyama: 11:39pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:

Are you sure you're OK?

^^^
grin
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Fujiyama: 11:43pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:

What a shame

^^^
grin grin
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Fujiyama: 11:45pm On Sep 04, 2023
Kukutente23:

Where is the sense in all you've written here?
How are the states in charge when the constitution gives fg sole right?
How has power been devolved when states are just seeking constitution amendment?
Are you not mad with the way you're just rambling nonsense?

^^^
grin grin grin
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Fujiyama: 12:16am On Sep 05, 2023
There is nothing here.

The guard rails that will ensure we don't end up with an NNPC-style state owned enterprise (this time for solid minerals) are simply not there. And why not work out the legislation before (and not after) Alake's so called 7 point agenda? We can all see what the states are saying. If there is a strong push for mining to be placed on the concurrent list - then why not sort that out with the states first? undecided Should Alake be referencing draft legislation for guidance at this stage - with the grandiose plans he has in mind? undecided

But we know why they won't sort out the legal stuff first. It will take the entire life of this administration before any constitutional amendment to the Mining Act will wind its way through the various parliaments and the amended Act will probably be signed on Tinubu's last day in office (whenever that is). After all, there is precedent. Where is the LGA autonomy we were promised - by a party that had (and still has) a majority in parliament? Why are elected local government chairman lying flat on their stomachs like lizards in Dapo Abiodun's office - for the egregious crime of calling a spade a spade? undecided

As usual, they are putting the cart before the horse. Sort out the laws and the framework first and things will fall into place. We can all see the horror show that the old NNPC turned into - a state owned public enterprise with billion Naira turnover figures - did not have audited accounts for years. undecided What is the Tinubu administration going to do to ensure that the proposed NSMC does not suffer the same fate?
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by Fujiyama: 1:01am On Sep 05, 2023
There is nothing here!

We once had NITEL (Nigerian Telecommunications)
We once had NAFCON (National Fertilizer Company of Nigeria)
We have NNPC Ltd...
We once had ASC (Ajaokuta Steel Complex)
We once had ALSCON (Aluminum Smelter Company of Nigeria)

And there are many more examples.

Not one of these state owned enterprises exists today - or at least in the form originally intended. They were nearly all sold off in controversial circumstances - there is still ongoing litigation for at least one of them, nearly a quarter of a century after it was sold. The one exception to this failure of Nigerian state owned enterprises/joint ventures is the NLNG and it still exists because the FG does not have majority shareholding.

So...what is the Tinubu administration going to do differently about the NSMC to ensure it doesn't end up like these dinosaurs? Who will be the majority shareholder in NSMC? Why set up a new state owned enterprise if you (government) sold all the old ones - allegedly because you couldn't manage them? undecided
Re: FG To Review All Mining Licenses, Mining Act, NIOMCO by ThundrCork(m): 6:02am On Sep 06, 2023
#Renewedhope

(1) (2) (Reply)

Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity / Breaking: Senate Begins Screening Of CJN / Pictures Of West Africa Largest Market Onitsha Main Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.