Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? (52465 Views)

10 Risky Areas In Lekki/Ajah To Verify Before You Buy A Property / Areas In Abuja With Good Power Supply And Affordable Rent / Which Areas or Estates On The Island Are Least Prone To Flooding? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 2:40pm On Sep 12, 2023
Why are Most buildings in Nigeria especially commercial towers fenced off?

From the Downtown of Lagos, To The most Affluent areas of Abuja, They all have something in Common, All the Skyscrapers are all fenced off and not open to the public!

This make the city look ugly, In modern society, Skyscrapers down floors are rented out for restaurant, Boutiques, e.t.c, Which makes window-shopping possible!

Photo 1: Madina towers, Lagos

Photo 2: Eko hotel towers, Lagos

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Sep 12, 2023
Hmmm 🤔
Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 2:46pm On Sep 12, 2023
There are some streets that you can't even take a walk at night, all because most of the buildings in the street has been fenced off, Before 8pm in the night, It will look like a ghost town!!

But by renting out the down floors of those buildings to restaurant and boutique e.t.c, It will make it more lively at night time!

126 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 2:48pm On Sep 12, 2023
Abuja is even worse, There's like 15 meters distance from the main building to the main road, It shouldn't be like this!

All these makes the street ugly

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 2:52pm On Sep 12, 2023
The down floors can be rented out to boutique, Restaurant e.t.c which will make Window shopping possible and will also make the street a fun place at night!

Take a look at this streets in Berlin, Germany

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Ikaeniyan0: 2:59pm On Sep 12, 2023
I think is because of security reasons

231 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 3:01pm On Sep 12, 2023
I know most corporate Bodies like to fence off their buildings for security reason, But with a CCTV camera placed at every corners of the street, security issues will be curbed to some extent

And besides, if down floors are rented out, There will be so much activities in the streets at night which will some how curb security issues to some extent too, it's easy to steal in a lonely street at night than a lively street with people everywhere!!

152 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by LOVEALAIGBO: 3:02pm On Sep 12, 2023
I'm guessing.....to keep out the riff-raff!

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 3:04pm On Sep 12, 2023
LOVEALAIGBO:
I'm guessing.....to keep out the riff-raff!

Read the post above you!!

It's called affluent areas for a reason, With CCTV camera, All these issues can be curbed!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Wodu89: 3:05pm On Sep 12, 2023
The mindset matters. Right from the projects conceptualization.

Having supermarket and shopping centres infused into skyscrapers is a way to beautify the city.

Attract people to the building and get secondary and tertiary funds for the building's maintenance and the likes.

The also clime matters too, but for me I'll say Nigerian rich and affluent likes to keep people off. If you think otherwise, how many of your friends who made it before you chose not to de-friend you. Let's start from here.

143 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 3:08pm On Sep 12, 2023
This is how modern society look like, I watch a video of a foreign YouTuber recently, who complained about this in his first ever visit to Nigeria!

He was so surprised, every building is fenced off!

Window shopping makes street look beautiful,

Affluent areas can afford all the security to keep this place safe, at night, But it seems like they just don't give a damn, They all okay with their sub-standard tower!

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 3:14pm On Sep 12, 2023
Wodu89:
The mindset matters. Right from the projects conceptualization.

Having supermarket and shopping centres infused into skyscrapers is a way to beautify the city.

Attract people to the building and get secondary and tertiary funds for the building's maintenance and the likes.

The also clime matters too, but for me I'll say Nigerian rich and affluent likes to keep people off. If you think otherwise, how many of your friends who made it before you chose not to de-friend you. Let's start from here.

Hmmm

We have this "Me and My Family Only" mentality

Same way most Nigerians like to fence off their houses with supertall fences, Lol

And the funniest thing be say, If thief come for night, Nah you sef go come open the gate for them, with all your stupid fence!! grin grin

92 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Wodu89: 3:15pm On Sep 12, 2023
Raydos:

Hmmm

We have this "Me and My Family Only" mentality

Same way most Nigerians like to fence off their houses with supertall fences, Lol

And the funniest thing be say, If thief come for night, Nah you sef go come open the gate for them, with all your stupid fence!! grin grin

Reflect back. When your friends who made money before you made it, how did their behavior appear to you ?

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 3:21pm On Sep 12, 2023
This is an American neighborhood, they prefer greenery instead of fences!

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Ladyclara002(f): 3:29pm On Sep 12, 2023
Beautiful
Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by nedu666: 3:53pm On Sep 12, 2023
Fence is for security. Even shopping malls are fenced. With fence, security can see any bagger trying to get in illegally. Without fence, security will be at disadvantage. Forget talk, Nigeria is not safe especially at night

139 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by CodeTemplar: 4:02pm On Sep 12, 2023
Imagine renting the down floor out to restaurants as you opined. That's a good place for angry jihadists to drive in trucks and bring down the whole building in protest to a perceived jewish guy who farted in front of a holy tree in Saudi Arabia.

146 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by online4business: 4:35pm On Sep 12, 2023
Be like op no dey Nigeria or still think Nigeria will be great without work.

It's practical reason

Remember in this country a ship Mt African pride loss during Obasanjo regimen with crude oil.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by OKUCHI11(m): 4:55pm On Sep 12, 2023
The thing is Black people don't trust themselves... If they use those ground floor for business and window shopping...a fight might just come up especially when there's a power outage and the things might be vandalized...

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by capetownboyz(m): 5:02pm On Sep 12, 2023
Ask your prostitute president he built Lagos

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by ednut1(m): 5:03pm On Sep 12, 2023
So that you can easily walk inside and steal things like diesel, pumping machine, car battery, loot their stores, stealing brain box etc. why must you always compare Nigeria with other countries The Americans dont need fence because they have guns, try to burgle those houses na grin

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by 1Sharon(f): 5:15pm On Sep 12, 2023
Another thing I hate in Nigeria is that hideous burglary proof.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 5:17pm On Sep 12, 2023
ednut1:
The Americans dont need fence because they have guns, try to burgle those house grin

What about countries that don't allow citizen to acquire fire arm? France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, UK, China, UAE, E.t.c?

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 5:18pm On Sep 12, 2023
1Sharon:
Another thing I hate in Nigeria is that hideous burglary proof.

I hate that thing too, But that one is quite understandable

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Airlord2030: 5:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
for security..
when you build your house, not fence am.. anything you see, bear am

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Raydos: 5:28pm On Sep 12, 2023
nedu666:
Fence is for security. Even shopping malls are fenced. With fence, security can see any bagger trying to get in illegally. Without fence, security will be at disadvantage. Forget talk, Nigeria is not safe especially at night

Affluent areas can surely afford the security, They spent billions to build a tower, But can't afford a proper security??

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by ednut1(m): 5:39pm On Sep 12, 2023
Raydos:

What about countries that don't allow citizen to acquire fire arm? France, Germany, Spain, Switzerland, UK, China, UAE, E.t.c?
why do they have fences in India or South Africa . Countries slightly above our level. In those European countries there is security, people use alarm, cameras , police will come if you call etc

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Fejoku: 6:03pm On Sep 12, 2023
Chei.. God in heaven. These ones really think they have a country.
Security becomes your number one concern when over 75% of your citizens have been pauperised through deliberate means of the ruling class. Think of the fortified castles built by nobles and Kings of old Europe. This is what is happening in Nigeria.
If they try what you're saying, all those shops/boutiques and whatever in there will suffer heavy attacks from armed robbers.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by iHateFraudsters: 6:05pm On Sep 12, 2023
You think nobody likes peace and serenity?

You think say everytime na noise noise Noise?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by id4sho(m): 6:06pm On Sep 12, 2023
Raydos:
Why are Most buildings in Nigeria especially commercial towers fenced off?

From the Downtown of Lagos, To The most Affluent areas of Abuja, They all have something in Common, All the Skyscrapers are all fenced off and not open to the public!

This make the city look ugly, In modern society, Skyscrapers down floors are rented out for restaurant, Boutiques, e.t.c, Which makes window-shopping possible!

Photo 1: Madina towers, Lagos

Photo 2: Eko hotel towers, Lagos
This is Nigeria, everybody be criminal (in falz voice)

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by NFBI: 6:22pm On Sep 12, 2023
Nigerian police that will come after 3 hours when the robbers has left

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Affluent Areas In Nigeria Do This? by Tunde835(m): 7:46pm On Sep 12, 2023
I kinda like it the way it is. I prefer the bottom of high rises to be like complexes though

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Much Will It Cost To Lay The Foundation (only) Of A 3 Bedroom Flat / Story Of A 500-room House In Lagos Where Tenants Live As Prisoners (PICTURES) / How To Calculate Materials Needed For German Floor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.