Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,026 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? (10287 Views)

Text Book That Wiil Teach Me English / The Book Of Death / One Book That Changed Your Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 25, 2011
Richest man in Babylon by George Clason - opened my eyes to financial responsibility
Gifted Hands - Ben Carson - taught me i could be anything i wanted if i simply worked hard and trusted God to lead and guide.

The bible is #1 of course. Funny, deep but spiritually food.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by DeepSight(m): 6:30pm On Oct 25, 2011
The Sunbird, by Wilbur Smith, and the Grail Message, by Abd Ru Shin.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by dvonne(f): 6:32pm On Oct 25, 2011
The Grail Message

The game of life and how to play it.
The secret
Men are from Mars women are from venus.
The rules
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 25, 2011
Why are there so many 'the Bible' and 'the Qur'an' and yet so many corrupt people among us?
That being said, my own book of greatest impact is the Qur'an.
I am rather censorous and so I don't consider any book by any human as being good enough to impact my life to any meaningful extent.
Atheists, please think what you will.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by CyberSaint: 6:59pm On Oct 25, 2011
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by johnny11(m): 7:00pm On Oct 25, 2011
outwitting the devil - Napoleon Hill
The Holy Bible
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by darqly(m): 7:08pm On Oct 25, 2011
The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren- A great book by any standard.

All books by Enid Blyton- I read them as a child; they built my imagination and taught me to read.

@fellis- Because we all read the bible and koran but fail to DO what the books tell us. hence the rot and evil that abounds.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by ronkebp(f): 7:16pm On Oct 25, 2011
Ikebe super, mills & boons, james hardly chase, and many others. I really do not have any preference when choosing a book to read. wink wink wink
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by badboym: 7:36pm On Oct 25, 2011
Rich Dad , Poor Dad.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by alleno: 7:53pm On Oct 25, 2011
The Final Quest - Rick Joyner
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by naira2011(m): 7:57pm On Oct 25, 2011
Rich Dad Poor Dad- Robert Kiyosaki
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 25, 2011
umechuma:

So many Nigerians read The Quran and Bible and yet so much corrupt and evil doers in Nigeria.
Why are some many Nigerians religious hypocrites and don't practice what they preach.

Yet you'll see how utterly wicked they are to their fellow humans; shamelessly cherry-picking and implementing ONLY the parts of the Bible that suits their selfish purposes at any point in time. Hypocrites all. Maybe the Bible is indeed interesting as a piece of literature, merely as a book in itself and for itself. But I doubt it truly has a "profound impact" on most, since not too many people demonstrate that in their daily lives. That's why I'm rather bemused at the flippant mentions of the Bible here, cos the thread isn't about interesting books, . .it is about books that have had a profound impact on one's life. Smh.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 25, 2011
All Robert Kiyosaki's series. Besides reading his books, he's a mentor of some sort.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by murpheus(m): 8:13pm On Oct 25, 2011
How To Make Friends and Influence People ~ Dale Carnegie
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Luckyman3: 8:27pm On Oct 25, 2011
Rich Dad Poor Dad - by Robert T. Kiyosaki
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by delpee(f): 8:44pm On Oct 25, 2011
Holy Bible
Who moved my cheese? - Spencer Johnson
The Richest Man in Babylon-George Clason
Rich Dad Poor Dad - Robert Kiyosaki
The Purpose Driven Life- Rick Warren
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by frenchman2: 8:51pm On Oct 25, 2011
The Secret - by Rhonda Byrne
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Revolva(m): 9:42pm On Oct 25, 2011
[red][size]7 book of Moses[size=20pt][/size][/red]
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by rman: 9:46pm On Oct 25, 2011
EXERCISE BOOKS, These blank books actually shaped my life more than anyother. All I have learnt in life have been expressed on the pages of exercise books at every stage of my life.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by mruwaifo(m): 10:09pm On Oct 25, 2011
Atlas shrugged by ayn rand
The fountainhead by ayn rand
Towards mental exploits by Bishop david oyedepo
Book of Proverbs
The gospel of Thomas
Rich dad poor dad
7 habits of highly effective people
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Oct 25, 2011
No 1 - The Bible
No 2 - Life's Hidden Agenda by Selwyn Hughes (from EveryDay With Jesus Devotional Series) 1994. The impact of this book in my life is simply awesome!
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Sike(m): 11:13pm On Oct 25, 2011
. .
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by CyberSaint: 11:16pm On Oct 25, 2011
pro01:

Yet you'll see how utterly wicked they are to their fellow humans; shamelessly cherry-picking and implementing ONLY the parts of the Bible that suits their selfish purposes at any point in time. Hypocrites all. Maybe the Bible is indeed interesting as a piece of literature, merely as a book in itself and for itself. But I doubt it truly has a "profound impact" on most, since not too many people demonstrate that in their daily lives. That's why I'm rather bemused at the flippant mentions of the Bible here, cos the thread isn't about interesting books,  . .it is about books that have had a profound impact on one's life. Smh.

Omo, why are you tryna to pop a vein just because people say that the Bible has profoundly imparted their lives? Do you know these people personally to conclude that they are "shamelessly cherry-picking and implementing ONLY the parts of the Bible that suits their selfish purposes at any point in time"? Base on your venom on this thread, I perceive that you are in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

I think you really need to look inside yourself and find out what problem(s) you have with the Bible and/or the people who love the Word of God
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by ogogo24(m): 11:20pm On Oct 25, 2011
I like this, funny but true.

rman:

EXERCISE BOOKS, These blank books actually shaped my life more than anyother. All I have learnt in life have been expressed on the pages of exercise books at every stage of my life.

For me:

Qur'an
Rich Dad Poor Dad
Richest Man in Babylon
48 Laws of Power
Be Your Own Boss
etc
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by 1stknight(m): 11:28pm On Oct 25, 2011
the mafia manager.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by wewe1(m): 11:44pm On Oct 25, 2011
Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy
Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Harry Carpenter
Maximum Achievement by Brian Tracy
Buy The Future by Brian Tracy
The power of Focus by Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen and Les Hewitt
Dream Big Dreams Brian Tracy
Be a winner Everytime by Promod Batra
The One Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard and Spencer Johnson
Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyasaki
Chicken Soup For The Soul
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by God2man(m): 12:08am On Oct 26, 2011
BIBLE, Dake's annotated reference Bible, King James version Know your enemy watch your friend- Iyke Natan Uzorma Prayer Rain- Dr. D.K Olukoya Dictionary of Dreams- Tella Olayeri Take the Risk- Dr. Ben carson You can do it- John Mason Thou shall not be barren- Bishop David Oyedepo The secret of Greatness- Dr. D.K Olukoya. Then one old fasting book written in Yoruba but interpreted to English- the Late Apostle J.A Babalola, that is the only book that really change my christian life, God bless you. God2man.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Nobody: 12:10am On Oct 26, 2011
CyberSaint:

Omo, why are you tryna to pop a vein just because people say that the Bible has profoundly imparted their lives? Do you know these people personally to conclude that they are "shamelessly cherry-picking and implementing ONLY the parts of the Bible that suits their selfish purposes at any point in time"? Base on your venom on this thread, I perceive that you are in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.

I think you really need to look inside yourself and find out what problem(s) you have with the Bible and/or the people who love the Word of God

I don't remember directing my comments at anyone in particular. But of course it does seem to have touched a raw nerve here and there. I don't need to know any one personally to know what I'm talking about, and anyone who is honest enough knows exactly what the truth of the matter is. These 'Bible loving', self-centred pretenders parading all over the place make me nauseous with their duplicity and hypocrisy. You may choose to play wise-guy or try to be clever by half, but that doesn't make it seem your 'love' for the "word of God" is less skin-deep than it certainly is.

And as for the "gall of bitterness and bond of iniquity" claptrap, why I'm I not surprised?
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Haribo: 12:13am On Oct 26, 2011
New School Chemistry - Osei Yaw Ababio grin
Spring Snow - Yukio Mishima
The Boy Slave/Return of Shettima - Kola Onadipe
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by tpia5: 12:19am On Oct 26, 2011
^^could you please help me out with a brief synopsis of the return of shettima, if you still remember the book.

i'm trying to recall the details but they're a bit fuzzy.
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by Haribo: 1:26am On Oct 26, 2011
@tpia, let's see. Hope I remember correctly it's been a long time,

The story picks up with Shettima growing up in the land he was sold to as a slave. Through the years he works hard and is eventually able to able to win his freedom. Eventually, he marries the daughter of the Chief of the town. He takes his family and returns to his hometown as a rich man (I think he had his own horse or something along those lines). When he arives, things have changed, but he still remembers the way to his old home. He reunites with his mother who is still alive. FIN

That's pretty much the story in a nutshell. There's a whole lot more that happened, but my memories have faded.
It would be nice if I could buy it and add to my collection. I think it's out of print now though,
Re: The Book That Profoundly Imparted Your Life? by tpia5: 2:41am On Oct 26, 2011
^^thanks.

that's the boy slave though, not the return of shettima.

i reread the boy slave some months back, so the story is still fresh in my memory. cheesy

return of shettima is very difficult to find and i'm trying to at least get an inkling of what the book was about.

i know it picked up from after he returned home for a visit.

also, the chief's daughter was involved in a love triangle with him over a slave girl- fatima.

parts of the story sound like real life sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Who Offended The gods of the land? / Daddy, Where Are You?; A Short Story / Patch Of Black

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.