Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies (4353 Views)

Ogbonnaya Onu's Views On The Appointment Of The SGF - Ajayi Temitope / Coalition Opens Up On Okonjo-iweala / Obasanjo Girls Fall Apart As Ezekwesili Turns On Okonjo Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Gbawe: 1:08pm On Oct 18, 2011
http://odili.net/news/source/2011/oct/17/831.html

Experts differ on Okonjo-Iweala's policies

Ademola Alawiye

Following the unveiling of a four-year fiscal plan by the Economic Team of the Federal Government of Nigeria, analysts have expressed divergent views on the proposed policies of the Finance Minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala.

Analysts, who spoke with our correspondent in separate interviews, shared conflicting views on some of the ideas of the finance minister, who is also the coordinating minister.

The government recently unveiled a four-year fiscal plan, which showed that budget spending would increase from 2012, although the fiscal deficit would decline.

It also announced the forthcoming removal of fuel subsidies, which the government said would cost the country N1.2tn ($7.5bn). Although, the proposal is being debated by members of the National Assembly, some analysts believed some of the policies were not necessary in an economy like Nigeria, while others said the policies could be applied in any developing country including Nigeria.

The Chief Executive Officer, Vintage Wealth Managers Limited, Mr. Idowu Ogedengbe, said the policies were basic economic management policies.

"The fact remains that her policies are basic economic management policies. The policies may be World Bank policies; they are policies that can be applied anywhere. Subsidy represents a leakage from government finance. If there is removal of fuel subsidy and the savings are used well in other projects, then the policy is a good one," he said.

On naira devaluation, the Deputy Manager, Civic Investment Limited, Mr. Thomas Adenuga, said, "The reality is that we cannot continue to support the naira. It does not make sense. The value you are seeing now is an artificial value. The value should be left for the market to determine. The problem again is that we are not producing much, apart from crude oil, what else are we producing? So you don't expect them to continue to support the naira."

However, the Chief Research Analyst, Stakes Capital, Mr. Sanyaolu Kehinde, said the fundamentals of the Nigerian economy were not sound enough to absorb some foreign policies.

"The issue with some of our policy makers is that they believe so much in the book economy because they have worked well in advanced countries. It's not that the policies are not good but they cannot work here because they have not laid the foundation," Kehinde added.

The Chief Executive Officer, Fatrax Securities Company, Dr. Wale Ositelu, said "They should develop our infrastructural facilities and sectors like agriculture before introducing policies that have worked well in advanced countries. It's not enough to just adopt policies from other countries. The level of development in any economy will influence its policies."
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by igbo2011(m): 1:24pm On Oct 18, 2011
\They should have used that money to subsidize some manufacturers. This would increase employment, forex, GDP and government revenue. They are useless I swear.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Kx: 1:29pm On Oct 18, 2011
why dont "iwe ala" bring light, road, water etc first b4 copy and paste developed economies policies?
for crying out loud, would world bank even contemplate those policies in their US office if their office in america is powered by generator and the road leading to world bank office is as bad at nigeria roads?

why do we want to "jump" to primary 6 without starting from primary 1?
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by PointB: 1:36pm On Oct 18, 2011
"The fact remains that her policies are basic economic management policies. The policies may be World Bank policies; they are policies that can be applied anywhere. Subsidy represents a leakage from government finance. If there is removal of fuel subsidy and the savings are used well in other projects, then the
policy is a good one," he said.

I'll go with this.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Gbawe: 1:39pm On Oct 18, 2011
Kx:

why dont "iwe ala" bring light, road, water etc first b4 copy and paste developed economies policies?
for crying out loud, would world bank even contemplate those policies in their US office if their office in america is powered by generator and the road leading to world bank office is as bad at nigeria roads?

why do we want to "jump" to primary 6 without starting from primary 1?

I wonder OOOOO. You say removal of subsidy which will affect ordinary Nigerians the most , a veritable keg of gun powder, is a must so as to free up money for infrastructural development yet you do not wish to even seriously attempt reducing recurrent expenditure , affecting mainly overpaid Government officials, or shrink the size of our democracy universally criticised for its unfeasibly bloated size  !!!!

How can that not be interpreted as wickedness, elitism and leadership insensitivity? I.e failing to take food from the well-fed and wealthy man while insisting you must take the little the skeletal poor man has?
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by highland(m): 2:54pm On Oct 18, 2011
No matter how great the policy of Nigeria government, corruption will not allow it to work well.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by tkb417(m): 2:55pm On Oct 18, 2011
yeah shes revered in this profession but what shes bringing to the table is stupid

Her simple/basic economic management principles didnt see how to save 7.5billon USD from the way Government functionaries are being over paid?

Her basic economic management principles cannot include how to be self sufficient in oil production as against oil importation?

her silly economics background cannot see the need for the provision of Social Overhead Capitals as a necessity for a 3rd world sick country like Nigeria?

If they are looking for resources to save, they should farking look inwards

slash our ridiculous recurrent expenditure by 50% and the money needed will be readily available

Nigerians SHOULD not pay for the inefficiencies of this present and past Governments

Okonjo is sounding retarded in me opinion
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by ochizo(m): 2:59pm On Oct 18, 2011
I don't agree with this policies because there's nothing in place to carter for all these policies.

Chinua Achebe said it "The problem with is that Nigeria is trying to adapt to the constitution of a developed country while they are not developed". I can also remember there's a saying "Cut your coat according to your size".

Nigerians leave in trial , they are never sure of what they want to do , na try try dem dey always do.

I think they should focus on more important things like power, road, security, education etc.

I really dont know if they think before they do or do before they think.

Shame to Nigeria, Big ups to the Nigerian who will always stand to fight our useless goverment.

I laff Nigeria, I laff Nigeria well well
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by xanadu333: 3:08pm On Oct 18, 2011
1HP samsung silver nano window ac at a give away price.
bought 4rm cash and carry with remote. brand new still working perfectly.
location iyanoba, lagos
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by xanadu333: 3:13pm On Oct 18, 2011
see pic
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by KoolMaster: 3:29pm On Oct 18, 2011
xanadu333:

1HP samsung silver nano window ac at a give away price.
bought 4rm cash and carry with remote. brand new still working perfectly.
location iyanoba, lagos

This is just the beginning, the announcement on the removal of fuel subsidy just led to the sell of an AC, wait until the full implementation. Sorry for the poor ordinary Nigerian. This govt has nothing to offer. Remember Fela sorry sorry Oh
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Kx: 3:39pm On Oct 18, 2011
KoolMaster:

This is just the beginning, the announcement on the removal of fuel subsidy just led to the sell of an AC, wait until the full implementation. Sorry for the poor ordinary Nigerian. This govt has nothing to offer. Remember Fela sorry sorry Oh

Pre subsidy removal sales.

Post subsidy removal sales will be much more than electronics
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by tkb417(m): 3:45pm On Oct 18, 2011
KoolMaster:

lol
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by sholasys: 3:48pm On Oct 18, 2011
I just pray this subsidy bu$hit will die a natural death. Am imagining what inflation will make of us in naija and most especially PH if this policy is implemented.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by manny4life(m): 3:48pm On Oct 18, 2011
I do not share most of the sentiments on here; I somewhat support the removal of the subsidy, than can translate into better development and healthy competition.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Gbawe: 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2011
tkb417:

yeah shes revered in this profession but what shes bringing to the table is silly

Her simple/basic economic management principles didnt see how to save 7.5billon USD from the way Government functionaries are being over paid?

Her basic economic management principles cannot include how to be self sufficient in oil production as against oil importation?

her silly economics background cannot see the need for the provision of Social Overhead Capitals as a necessity for a 3rd world sick country like Nigeria?

If they are looking for resources to save, they should farking look inwards

slash our ridiculous recurrent expenditure by 50% and the money needed will be readily available

Nigerians SHOULD not pay for the inefficiencies of this present and past Governments

Okonjo is sounding slow in me opinion

Well said indeed !!! I am very dissappointed with Okonjo Iweala as well. What totally put me off was how she has now gone along with leaving our recurrent expenditure as it is, now that she is part of the government , while she screamed that it must come down drastically while out of Government !! I had hoped she would be strong-minded enough not to turn into another Abati but I see my hope was misplaced. It is very wicked to attempt subsidy removal , which will hurt ordinary Nigerians badly, while the bloated and grossly overpaid decmocracy remains in place. It is a callous action like that which precipitates revolutions in most nations of the world. Spare the hideously rich and overpaid to begin draining life and blood out of those already at death's door. Simply wicked ,anti-people and shamelessly pro-elite !!!!
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by ideylaff: 3:55pm On Oct 18, 2011
I wonder OOOOO. You say removal of subsidy which will affect ordinary Nigerians the most , a veritable keg of gun powder, is a must so as to free up money for infrastructural development yet you do not wish to even seriously attempt reducing recurrent expenditure , affecting mainly overpaid Government officials, or shrink the size of our democracy universally criticised for its unfeasibly bloated size  !!!!

How can that not be interpreted as wickedness, elitism and leadership insensitivity? I.e failing to take food from the well-fed and wealthy man while insisting you must take the little the skeletal poor man has?

@ Mr Gbawe thanks bro, when Petrodollar was in abundance and crude was at its highest , what did Nigeria do with the money embarassed, Fund its NASS, ASO ROCK and the rest of the cancerworm eating the country up

Trust me this money is going the same way,  Okonjo cannot run the country, she can only lay down policies, she cannot implement it across all the whole waste parastatal and minsitries + government waste departments, all over the place,

The problem is inwards, not outwards,  Within ABJ alone if they put things right we can acheive more without making the poorman sufer more,
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Bawss1(m): 3:57pm On Oct 18, 2011
Who is removing fuel subsidy? They had better kill that idea no matter how lofty and well-intentioned it might be. As has been repeatedly pointed out govt had better reduce the cost of running itself and become more efficient before demanding sacrifices from the masses. Personally, I know this subsidy removal thing will disappear, after all this is the govt of 'business-as-usual'.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by MrWhy1(m): 4:12pm On Oct 18, 2011
The Chief Executive Officer, Fatrax Securities Company, Dr. Wale Ositelu, said "They should develop our infrastructural facilities and sectors like agriculture before introducing policies that have worked well in advanced countries. It's not enough to just adopt policies from other countries. The level of development in any economy will influence its policies."

Tell her. Okonjo Iweala is clueless. This is Nigeria for crying out loud!!! If they didn't use the billions they got before to finance the most essential projects, how are we sure this will work well? You do not apply economic principles of an advanced economy where there is rule of law and accountability here. It just doesn't work that way. Face reality and concentrate on what is important. Ahhh!!!
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by offroad: 4:33pm On Oct 18, 2011
its a waste of thought when people keep saying this govt is clueless about policies and proper administration, this people are not dumb as you think, they serve a higher purpose, we have been sold out period! we either seat and complain or stand up to them! its our choice.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by segunjowo(m): 4:37pm On Oct 18, 2011
The doomsday conspiracy is coming up soon in Nigeria. Watch out, a lot of people will commit  suicide especially amongst Lagos residents with little or no job for sustenance. While some percentage of the population will have to vacate the city for their respective village of origin, some will want to stay and die out of shame! The Nigeria government is planing doom for her citizens with her stuuupid economic transformation agenda. Our representatives are planning on buying toyota camry for 7million each for themselves (multiply by 360 members and find out the sum) when it's not as if they dont own good cars already. I mean what happened to those cars former members of the house were using? do you know that giving fresh graduates with lower grades and good business ideas (because they are not likely to find job easily like the first or second class candidates) one or two million each for a start up business can help more than a thousand Nigerian get a job rather than buying camry is not a completely bad idea? And Okonjo-Iweala is planning on administering theoretical concepts she read in her books to a complex economy like Nigeria? Fellow Nigerian, don't wait for the doomsday to become reality before you find something to do in the form of regular income.
Thanks.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by stagger: 4:40pm On Oct 18, 2011
Okonjo-Iweala and all the world bank economists we have had since Kalu Idika Kalu in the 80s have brought Nigeria nothing but trouble.

By the time fuel starts to sell for N142 per litre; let us see where we will go; Libya is coming.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by ideylaff: 5:11pm On Oct 18, 2011
Okonjo-Iweala and all the world bank economists we have had since Kalu Idika Kalu in the 80s have brought Nigeria nothing but trouble.

By the time fuel starts to sell for N142 per litre; let us see where we will go; Libya is coming

WORD
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by rareman(m): 5:15pm On Oct 18, 2011
while you are still at it, federal house of rep; is spending 7,000,000x360 members to buy toyota camery. Now if am thinking straight, I voted GEJ to tax me heavily just to service some money bags. Tell what is my sin
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Gbawe: 6:06pm On Oct 18, 2011
rareman:

while you are still at it, federal house of rep; is spending 7,000,000x360 members to buy toyota camery. Now if am thinking straight, I voted GEJ to tax me heavily just to service some money bags. Tell what is my sin

They have no intentions of making even minimal sacrifice they will hardly feel yet they are about to bring absolute misery to the lives of already overburdened Nigerians. Nothing more proves that the GEJ Government is callous, insensitive, totally pro-elite and AGIP friendly. You put the most rapaciously oligarchic, most pro-elite and totally profit obssessed individuals (Ovia, Dangote, Otedola et al) in an economic team yet expect to recieve good advise from those folks regarding what will transform Nigeria in favour of the average man? Incredible !!!
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Dauchman(m): 6:22pm On Oct 18, 2011
How can they be talking of devaluing the naira when the only thing we produce is crude and it is sold in dollars. We import everything, we need a strong naira to be able to buy things cheap. Where the hell did Okonjo Iweala learn her economics from!!!!

When the right infrastructure has been put in place and Nigeria starts producing exports then we can talk of devaluing the naira.

God help us!!!!
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by kurlarday: 6:25pm On Oct 18, 2011
Gbawe,true talk! Give a mad man a hoe and see if he will not heap the goodies of the farmland in his favour.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by cristog120: 6:34pm On Oct 18, 2011
do they really think with their anus? what stops them from building more refineries? then subsidy wont be an issue anymore.they dont plan for the future instead what they will embezzle while they are in office.it affects governors too,they dont look inwards to generate revenue because they cant imagine their successor to benefit,thats all
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Nobody: 6:39pm On Oct 18, 2011
have the goons supporting this fuckidea think about our endemic corruption? Pdp will stil
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by sizzlers(m): 5:30am On Oct 19, 2011
Absolute crap, 7mila * 360, this people want to milk us dry. Wetin hapen 2 d cars dem dey use b4?
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by Nobody: 6:07am On Oct 19, 2011
the second coming of iweala s looking like obj's second term, a mistake in which all the previously earned goodwill will be frittered away. if she keeps this up, she will end up being vilified by all except the political elite.

she has not shown any signs of tackling or challenging the huge fg overhead - all her solutions involve transferring nigeria's fiscal woes to the populace

this says one of two things to me - either sheand gej has a long term strategy of her becoming president in 2015, (which is what all this senior minister stuff looks like) , and therefore does not want to rock the boat by vexing the power brokers (as long as it is biz as usual, we dey your back)

or

she has been compromised and will therefore not do the right thing.
Re: Analysts Express Divergent Views On Okonjo-Iweala's Policies by arsenefc: 6:25am On Oct 19, 2011
oyb:

the second coming of iweala s looking like obj's second term,

I thought OBJ's second term was much more successful than his first's. Depends on how you look at it.

a mistake in which all the previously earned goodwill will be frittered away.

Mistake? Something she deliberated upon extensively.

if she keeps this up, she will end up being vilified by all except the political elite.

Keep what up? When did she start. She is not a magician you know. And in a democracy, things go very slowly cos you cant just wake up and make everyone follow and be in agreeable with your policies. Give her some more time.

Honestly, you are beginning to sound like a broken record with your constant barrage of senseless and highly misinformed trite

she has not shown any signs of tackling or challenging the huge fg overhead -

What do you want her to do? Invite you to shadow her 24/7? How did you come to this conclusion?

all her solutions involve transferring nigeria's fiscal woes to the populace

Like tighter fiscal policies, job creation?

this says one of two things to me - either sheand gej  has a long term strategy of her becoming president in 2015, (which is what all this senior minister stuff looks like) ,

This is a democracy. There is no boju boju anywhere. She has the right to contest when the time comes, like everyone else including you sir, Mr. Oando NL. When the time comes, you will know. Stopp all this conspiracy crapp, not healthy for your psyche.

and therefore does not want to rock the boat by vexing the power brokers (as long as it is biz as usual, we dey your back)

And there is nothing wrong with that. I guess you still work at OANDO because you are always in the habit of rocking the boat and vexing your superiors? He works for GEJ for pete's sake.

she has been compromised and will therefore not do the right thing.

As long as GEJ likes the job she is doing. you have no right to say this. She was appointed remember, not elected.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bombshell: Obasanjo Killed Bola Ige - Lam Confess / Apc Lost In Ambode Home Town(epe) / APC Wins Sambo's Polling Unit - Announcement By Presiding Officer Abdulfatah Ali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.