Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,447 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful (39426 Views)

Obasanjo: I Made A Mistake Picking My "Number Two" In The 1999 Election / Obasanjo: I Have Seen Three Olu Of Warri, I Don’t Want To See Fourth Coronation / Obasanjo: I Am Not An Ex Military Man But A Former Military Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by DamnnNiggarr: 10:59am On Sep 18, 2023
Former President Olusegun Olusegun Obasanjo has reacted to the controversies being generated by his order to traditional rulers to stand and then sit during the inauguration of two projects in Iseyin, Oyo State last Friday.

Obasanjo was a special guest of honour at the inauguration of the road projects constructed by Governor Seyi Makinde.

However, rather than the projects, it was Obasanjo’s order to traditional rulers at the occasion to stand up and then sit down as depicted in a video that went viral grabbed the headlines.

Yoruba groups, monarchs and other critics have accused Obasanjo of disrespecting the traditional institution with the way he treated the kings at the occasion.

Taiwo, one of the former wives of the former President also appealed to the traditional institutions in Yorubaland to forgive her former husband in a statement on Sunday.

However, Obasanjo in an exclusive interview with Premium Times justified his action.

He said he ordered the traditional rulers to stand up during the occasion because they refused to do so during his arrival alongside Governor Makinde at the event.

Obasanjo said the refusal of the traditional rulers to stand up was a disrespect for Governor Makinde and a breach of protocol.

He added that the monarchs also refused to stand up when the Governor mounted the podium to read his address.

The former President said he later learnt that the Obas have always shown disrespect for the Governor and that’s why he decided to correct them at the occasion.

“It later became the turn of the governor to speak. As he rose, every other person at the venue, including me, stood up as demanded by protocol and in respect for the governor and his office. Again, the Obas refused to rise. They all remained seated.

“I then asked people around whether that was the practice in Oyo State. I was told the Obas have always displayed disrespect for their governor. I wondered where they got that from and then decided to speak to them about it.

As far as I am concerned, there is constitution and there is culture. By our constitution, the governor is the leader of a state. Everyone must respect him no matter his or her status or age. He deserves respect no matter how young he is and protocols must be observed.

“That was why I spoke to them the way I did. I wanted them to realise that it is not part of Yoruba culture to disrespect authorities. Respect begets respect and they must learn to deal with their governor with respect if they want to be respected in return.

Obasanjo noted that contrary to the criticisms that have trailed his action, he has a lot of respect for traditional rulers.

“I respect traditional rulers and even when I was President and till today, I treat them with reverence. I prostrate, bow and knee before them as necessary.

“I respect our culture. But let us also know that there is a Constitution which puts a chairman as head of a local government, a governor as head of a state and a president as head of our country. Whatever we do must be in respect for that arrangement. I am saying there is culture and there is constitution. One must not disturb the other

https://pmnewsnigeria.com/2023/09/18/obasanjo-i-ordered-obas-to-stand-because-they-were-disrespectful/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

169 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by DamnnNiggarr: 10:59am On Sep 18, 2023
shocked

baba Obj, Na lie you dey lie🤥

We know say you're trying very hard to shield Obi's image from public dragging.
We know say na Peter Obi manipulated you into disrespecting Yoruba monarchs.

Oya! let's come together and blame Peter Obi
Funkyswagzz:

Bros wetin come bring obi to this Mata.. this is a family affairs u guys should sort it out by yourselves. Besides campaign is over what is wrong with u guys.
goslowgoslow:

Your mumu never do?

Haba!
is it that these my able bodied guys don't identify sarcasm when they see one or what?
Broses, na sarcasm jare.

Let's blame Peter Obi according to one lunatic like that, that calls himself FFK.

124 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by TemplarLandry: 11:00am On Sep 18, 2023
He's gonna rue that.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by BossGerald: 11:00am On Sep 18, 2023
I don't understand the hypocrisy of my Apc yoruba Muslim brothers

This is seyi tinubu dragging oba of lagos beards yet everyone turned a blind eye but obj telling those chiefs he's far older than to stand and greet him is a problem.

Because obj supports Peter Obi? Why the hate??

188 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Tntsi: 11:03am On Sep 18, 2023
President obasanjo did nothing wrong.
I do not know of any top personality living or dead that respects traditional lnstitution like president obasanjo does, despite his age and personality.

The truth is that with the exception of very few kings and obas, the traditional stool has been bastardized by the so called rulers.

Many so called rulers are miscreants and touts.
Imagine the miscreant oba in lekki lagos who brought out "oro" in broad day light during election, in the name of stopping people from voting LP.
Many others were disgracing themselves here and there for tinubu.

Oba of Lagos who is usually threatening people here and there during election was only silent and humble this time around because of the Nebuchadnezzar treatment given to him the other time.

The oba of Benin is one of the few who shows how kings should rule.
There is one first class Oba in ekiti state I can't remember his name. He is also a shining light.
There are few others here and there.

As a king, you are father to all. You are not a political party coordinator. You reduce yourself to a joke when you go political.

216 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Landowner101(m): 11:04am On Sep 18, 2023
E di dey, E joo koo.

Obasanjo was just lecturing them on the laws of the lands (as an elder state-man), but some rice bandits will still find stupid meaning out of
it based on personal hatred they have for him.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Righthussle: 11:06am On Sep 18, 2023
I support you OBJ. They're used to being prostrated to.

Dem no born any traditional ruler in Rivers State well to disrespect Wike when he was governor. He takes care of them just like he's doing in FCT.

60 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by DatNiggaDaz: 11:06am On Sep 18, 2023
BossGerald:
I don't understand the hypocrisy of my Apc yoruba Muslim brothers

This is seyi tinubu dragging oba of lagos beards yet everyone turned a blind eye but obj telling those chiefs he's far older than to stand and greet him is a problem.

Because obj supports Peter Obi? Why the hate??
grin grin

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

The true face of hypocrites

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Reelmii: 11:06am On Sep 18, 2023
cheesy
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by EyeCumInPiece: 11:07am On Sep 18, 2023
Corn-brain Agbadorians are generally disrespectful. 👋

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by abdeefggh: 11:07am On Sep 18, 2023
Liar

4 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by accordadoga29(f): 11:07am On Sep 18, 2023
This yamiiri still dey talk.

We are Yorubas.

We don’t wake our parents and obas up with side-kicks.

What Obj did is a taboo in Yoruba land.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by id4sho(m): 11:07am On Sep 18, 2023
I dey with you tongue

Oba's in the mud, Gov seyi will start dealing with them for disrespecting him

7 Likes

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Kaxmytex(m): 11:07am On Sep 18, 2023

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by MrGanny(m): 11:07am On Sep 18, 2023
c
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by phemmyfour: 11:08am On Sep 18, 2023
You were disrespectful with your approach

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by ruggedboych: 11:08am On Sep 18, 2023
Baba you did well, no mind envious individual trying to insult you for scolding and correcting those old men called obas cool

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by b3llo(m): 11:08am On Sep 18, 2023
“That was why I spoke to them the way I did. I wanted them to realise that it is not part of Yoruba culture to disrespect authorities. Respect begets respect and they must learn to deal with their governor with respect if they want to be respected in return.

Baba OBJ have spoken!

QED

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by DevilishMan: 11:08am On Sep 18, 2023
The Most DisRespectful Tribe in the World

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by SIXTEENTH(m): 11:08am On Sep 18, 2023
Man of steel

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by rajiedreez: 11:08am On Sep 18, 2023
Will he have instructed Oba of Benin or Emir of Kano to stand up if they were there

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by aklid(m): 11:08am On Sep 18, 2023
They’re apologizing on your behalf and you’re still shouting 😂😂😂

This guys old age has finally kicked in…🤔
I’m just imagining the humiliation those obas felt

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Kingcalls: 11:09am On Sep 18, 2023
He is an ex 2 time president ... they were meant to stand up when he got to the podium ...that's courtesy

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Dshocker(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2023
All of these was Peter Obi's fault; According to FFK 🤡🤡🤡

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2023
Give to them wotowoto Obasanjo my man.
We are tired of fake Yoruba respects which is only about money and opportunities.

How can Tinubu son be drawing Oba of Lagos bears be seen as normal but Obasanjo asking Obas to stand as abnormal. Am I getting something wrong?

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by bro4u: 11:09am On Sep 18, 2023
Mathew
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by PHZADDY1(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2023
Them no born them well not to stand... hypocritical lots...Yoruba people are so deceitful

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Badguy77(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2023
Na them sabi
Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by iammo(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2023
cool

General Olusegun Obasanjo the killer of Odi people of Bayelsa

The killer of Massob lunatics

Ebora Owu

The only man he couldn't conquer is Jagaban of Borgu, Asiwaju of Lagos, City Boy from Chicago

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by sofeo(m): 11:09am On Sep 18, 2023
Alright Sir.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obasanjo: I Ordered Obas To Stand Because They Were Disrespectful by Whitecoal711: 11:10am On Sep 18, 2023
Just gift them jeep as usual,and the fok is fixed

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Labour Party Exco Meeting In Kano (Photos) / Ekiti Election: INEC Chief, Zakari Demands Apology From Fayose / 2023: Pastor Tunde Bakare Reveals Where Buhari’s Successor Should Come From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.