Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,929 members, 7,810,583 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:32 AM

Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike (9746 Views)

Grassroots Mobilisation For Bola Ahmed Tinubu In Mbaitoli Lga,Imo State. / 2023: Anambra NLC Backs Obi, Begins Mobilisation / NUPENG Begins Strike On October 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Islie: 9:00am On Sep 29, 2023
NUPENG directs its members to commence full mobilisation to ensure compliance with the directive of the Nigerian labour unions to embark on an indefinite strike over hardships occasioned by fuel subsidy removal.

The Nigerian Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas (NUPENG) on Thursday directed its members to commence full mobilisation to ensure compliance with the directive of the Nigerian labour unions to embark on an indefinite strike.

Members of NUPENG include the influential Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD) whose members drive the petrol and diesel tankers that distribute the products from Lagos, where they are imported, across Nigeria. Virtually all the diesel and petrol used in Nigeria are imported and then distributed by road with tankers.

A NUPENG strike could thus cripple the distribution of petrol and diesel across Nigeria and thus lead to a crisis in the sector and cripple the economy.

NUPENG’s strike notice was contained in a statement jointly signed by its President, Williams Akhoreha, and General Secretary Afolabi Olawale, on Thursday.

The Trade Union Congress (TUC) and the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) had on Tuesday said they will embark on an indefinite strike from 3 October over the prevailing hardship due to the removal of subsidy on petrol.

The TUC said, “The strike is to demonstrate our resolve for a truly independent Nigeria; to take our destinies in our own hands and rescue our nation.”

In a statement on Thursday, NUPENG said the government had demonstrated a high insensitivity and lack of respect and regard for organized labour and the Nigerian masses.

“Consequent upon the joint resolution of the National Executive Council of the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress as the outcome of the joint National Executive Council meeting of the two Labour federations, held on 26 September 2023, we wish to inform all our members in the formal and informal sectors of the Nigeria Oil and Gas Industry and alert the general public that the rank and file members of our union are hereby directed to commence full mobilization and ensure unwavering compliance with the directive of the two Labour Centres to all affiliate Industrial Unions to embark on a nationwide industrial action from midnight of 3rd October 2023,” it said.

It explained that the leadership of NUPENG found it so disturbing and unfortunate, that the federal government of Nigeria and other tiers of governments “are so insensitive to the excruciating and debilitating socio/economic pains Nigerians are passing through as a result of very harsh and sudden economic policies taken by this administration without any accompanying socio/economic policies to ameliorate and cushion the immediate effects and impacts those difficult and harsh policies are having on the citizenry.”

It added: “Further worrisome to us is the apparent lack of regard and respect to the cries and yearnings of Organised Labour, Civil Society Organisations and the general public by this administration.

“It appears the administration is arrogantly taking the goodwill and the tolerance level of the workers and Nigerians in general for granted. This arrogance is demonstrated clearly and loudly by the ways and manners of meetings with organized labour and outcomes of such meetings are taken with levity and disrespect.

“The Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG) is aware of the huge impacts a 24-hour industrial action by organized labour can have on businesses and the socio/economic lives of the nation, unfortunately, the government’s actions and inactions are inextricably forcing the organized labour to take this very hard and painful route of last resort to demand for needful socio/economic policies to ameliorate and cushion the debilitating and dehumanizing living conditions of Nigerians generally.

“Beyond any reasonable doubt, the government has demonstrated a high insensitivity and lack of respect and regard to organized labour and the Nigerian masses.

“Therefore, it is in the light of the above, that NUPENG as a responsive and responsible affiliate Union of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), will fully comply with the resolution of the joint NEC meeting and we hereby direct the leaders in the four (4) Zonal Councils of our great Union to mobilize all our members in the formal and informal sectors to shut down services effective 3rd October, 2023.

“All NUPENG members, including the Petroleum Tanker Drivers (PTD), Petrol Stations Workers (PSW), Liquefied Petroleum Gas Retailers (LPGAR) and all other allied workers in the value chain of petroleum products distribution must comply with this directive from midnight of Tuesday, 3rd October 2023.

“All Branches and Units of our Union are to take note and ensure full compliance by setting up Compliance and Monitoring Teams in all operational locations. Our Solidarity remains constant, for the Union makes us strong.”

Background

President Bola Tinubu had on 29 May announced the removal of fuel subsidy. The development led to hardship for many Nigerians with its attendant increase in the prices of goods and services.

On 2 August, the NLC and TUC led Nigerian workers in protests across the country over the increasing cost of living due to government policies, especially the removal of subsidies on petrol.

Also, on 5 and 6 September, the NLC embarked on a warning strike. It gave the government a two-week ultimatum.

The congress said the warning strike was meant to demonstrate its readiness for the indefinite strike which will now commence on 3 October.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/629081-fuel-scarcity-looms-as-nupeng-begins-mobilisation-for-labour-unions-strike.html

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Taylor92: 9:02am On Sep 29, 2023
When I complain Tinubu supporters will say he’s just few months in office give him time

Since you’re new in office and you have no clue on how to do better than Buhari why didn’t you leave everything like Buhari left it till you buy brains on how to run a government

After three years his supporters will still say give him time

Stupid president

86 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Xxxxtentacion2: 9:03am On Sep 29, 2023
Failed government with failed citizens...

21 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Taylor92: 9:06am On Sep 29, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:

Hope say I no follow for that failed citizen

Watch your mouth

25 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Xxxxtentacion2: 9:12am On Sep 29, 2023
Taylor92:

Watch your mouth
what`s your occupation ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by VOsimhen144(m): 9:14am On Sep 29, 2023
I’m so happy to see Nigerians suffering so hard for the bad governance they brought upon themselves.
Make una suffer well well.

I just dey pray make Labour union declare strike becus the way Nigerians go take suffer ehh, I swear I no go pity anybody.
If u beg me for money, I go show u say I get the money but I no go help u. I want make u suffer well well…. Abi dem say Suffer no dey tire Nigerians.

No worry this around E go tire una… next time una no go vote bad government becus of tribalism

45 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by dangermouse(m): 9:21am On Sep 29, 2023
If only the government will listen and reset things to ameliorate the sufferings of millions of poor Nigerians.

Alas they won't, as they are immuned to the sufferings they put Nigerians through with their ill-thought and half baked policies.

11 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Taylor92: 9:22am On Sep 29, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:
what`s your occupation ?

I be thief

I thief for a living

How about you what do you do for work?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Islamisformumu: 9:24am On Sep 29, 2023
😉
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Hendrixky: 9:24am On Sep 29, 2023
Please we should all come out

Enough of this tribalism

Please we should all come out and shut down Nigeria like the way we did in 2012
The funny thing is that Jonathan 2012 didn't bring much suffering to us yet we united and shut down Nigeria

What is now happening that we can no longer shut down Nigeria

It is now obvious tribalism is what is ruining us

It means the masses can not unite to protest against a president from any of the three major tribe( igbo, hausa and yorubas)

It seems we can only unite to protest against a president only if that president is from minority or rather from south south

During the endsar protest. The north didn't join because it was seen as a fight against thier son( buhari)

Even look at nairaland that promoted the protest in 2012
Now they kept mute

Look at our celebrities

What is happening in this country

Please we all should come out

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Maxymilliano(m): 9:25am On Sep 29, 2023
Good move ....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Xxxxtentacion2: 9:25am On Sep 29, 2023
Taylor92:

I be thief

I thief for a living

akara business

6 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by ojun50(m): 9:27am On Sep 29, 2023
Ok, make them bring am
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by gabbytabby: 9:28am On Sep 29, 2023
The cabal has spoken

Wotowoto is waiting

Islie:

NUPENG directs its members to commence full mobilisation to ensure compliance with the directive of the Nigerian labour unions to embark on an indefinite strike over hardships occasioned by fuel subsidy removal.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/629081-fuel-scarcity-looms-as-nupeng-begins-mobilisation-for-labour-unions-strike.html

Nlfpmod

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by gabbytabby: 9:31am On Sep 29, 2023
Thank you the good govt una vote for SE how far. No be run una they run to other regions,

VOsimhen144:
I’m so happy to see Nigerians suffering so hard for the bad governance they brought upon themselves.
Make una suffer well well.

I just dey pray make Labour union declare strike becus the way Nigerians go take suffer ehh, I swear I no go pity anybody.
If u beg me for money, I go show u say I get the money but I no go help u. I want make u suffer well well…. Abi dem say Suffer no dey tire Nigerians.

No worry this around E go tire una… next time una no go vote bad government becus of tribalism

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by gabbytabby: 9:33am On Sep 29, 2023
Thanks for the confirmation.

Taylor92:

I be thief

I thief for a living

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by VOsimhen144(m): 9:37am On Sep 29, 2023
gabbytabby:
Thank you the good govt una vote for SE how far. No be run una they run to other regions,

and the funny thing be say hunger wan kill u bulabans and yet una go still dey defend failure grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Jostoman: 9:39am On Sep 29, 2023
Taylor92:

Watch your mouth
me self no dsy
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Jostoman: 9:41am On Sep 29, 2023
gabbytabby:

are the people in lagos enjoying?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Jostoman: 9:41am On Sep 29, 2023
gabbytabby:

are the people in lagos enjoying now?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by gabbytabby: 9:46am On Sep 29, 2023
Much better enjoyment in Lagos than the south east. Hence your sisters and brothers full night luxurious bus to japa.

Jostoman:
are the people in lagos enjoying now?

1 Like

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by BoldBrainz(m): 9:57am On Sep 29, 2023
One donkey was here on nairaland, neighing on the other thread as to how NLC members were not enough to fill a small LGA, hence rubbishing the strike warnings of the union..😂.

Idiot even went ahead to insinuate that the NLC was only speaking on behalf of Federal civil servants. In his empty coconut head, only federal civil servants constitute the membership of the NLC.

People are just very stupid in this Nigeria!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Jostoman: 10:06am On Sep 29, 2023
gabbytabby:
Much better enjoyment in Lagos than the south east. Hence your sisters and brothers full night luxurious bus to japa.

dey there dey decieve yourself

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by chatinent: 10:12am On Sep 29, 2023
Human govt is a failure.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by flexyrule(m): 10:37am On Sep 29, 2023
Shut down!
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Hamachi(f): 10:37am On Sep 29, 2023
cheesy
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by chibu4u2(m): 10:37am On Sep 29, 2023
Wahala no dey finish for this country sef?

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by iwaeda: 10:37am On Sep 29, 2023
Islie:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Asabe4(f): 10:38am On Sep 29, 2023
Sigh!!

We can't even catch a break.
Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by meum: 10:38am On Sep 29, 2023
Everybody is now ready to join Abi? E don clear dem for eye now😁

2 Likes

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Exceed15: 10:38am On Sep 29, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:

Failed government with with failed APC supporters not citizens.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fuel Scarcity Looms As NUPENG Begins Mobilisation For Labour Unions’ Strike by Flame333: 10:38am On Sep 29, 2023
If failure is wealth, APC should be the most wealthiest party on earth..

Children of bulabas now telling others to calm and wait for the naira to fall back to 200 which they once condemned..

If idiocracy is a word, they are the most intelligent morons in the face of the world..

Hissssssss

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

This Is Why Innoson Is Being Punished By Fg / 2019 Elections: APC Dangles ‘contentious’ Carrots For 2023 Presidency / Soldiers Rescue 30 Kidnapped Kaduna Travellers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.