Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,433 members, 7,830,175 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? (22388 Views)

5 Things You Should NEVER Do With Automatic Transmission Cars / "Why Manual Cars Are Better Than Automatic Cars" / 3 Reasons Why Drivers Of Manual Transmission Cars Believe They're Better Drivers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by UptownVibes(m): 6:21pm On Oct 04, 2023
Before you dey use your walking stick,clutch down and come up inside manual,auto don waka far.. Auto sweet to drive .. That clutch thing dey tire me..
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by aylagos(m): 6:21pm On Oct 04, 2023
SALLYBERRY01:
I never buy car , when I buy car I will find out.

Please before then check my thread out,
God will make it happen soon IJN

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by nurudeen181(m): 6:24pm On Oct 04, 2023
you've actually said nothing here other than reiterating the knowledge you have that Auto are faster which is wrong. you kept beating around the bush saying improved clutch and so on... this is the thing. lets compare a manually transmitted Peugeot 307 or Honda EOD with their Automatic type. this cars have same weight, same engine capacity.. the guy even say aerodynamics ... na for F35 B lightening and Sukoi 57 i remembered seeing that. i no know say cars to get aerodynamics... its important sha. the thing is manual may have a faster starting than the automatic because the gear is fully embedded to the engine power unlike the auto which have to keep following some rule before changing to the next gear. whil manual is gone, auto might still be thinking whether it's time to change or a little more torque

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Incognito9: 6:24pm On Oct 04, 2023
wman:
Manual.

Why do you think street drivers and those in Fast and Furious drive manual transmission cars?

Even when playing video games, most experts prefer manual cars as they can shift the gears faster than automatic.

Manual gives you full control over the car as opposed to automatic that shifts gear after brief delays and sensing the speed.

The only reason they choose manual gears is because of drifting around the corners because the driver can easily control it which is not the case with automatic transmission.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by fyneboi79(m): 6:24pm On Oct 04, 2023
lordm:
Automatic transmission is s faster and better. I have driven both
Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari ,Audi zx,Nissan Mz all come in manual drive for attainment of speed,torque and horsepower.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Asuzero2(m): 6:24pm On Oct 04, 2023
Before automatic will select gear 3
Manual is in gear 5
But automatic can be drive manually too

2 Likes

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by IPDGP: 6:25pm On Oct 04, 2023
Bring your Manual car to outspeed my 2012 Toyota Corolla
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by SalamRushdie: 6:26pm On Oct 04, 2023
lordm:

You have not driven a proper manual ..if Automatic was faster they will use it in Formula one
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by TheOldGods: 6:27pm On Oct 04, 2023
ovie8200:
All cars are fast and it all depends on the driver who is driving.
Lame comment. So if you drive a 2002 corolla and you are an expert, and you're racing a Ferrari from a normal driver, on a straight road, so for you small mind, you go win cause you know how drive better than him?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by easytig(m): 6:27pm On Oct 04, 2023
I rebuke poverty for you amen.who prefers manual to automatic in this modern age
Steady259:
Manual gear is the real deal
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by airsaylongcome: 6:29pm On Oct 04, 2023
kekakuz:
Manuals can be DRIVEN faster than automatic

You nailed it! Autos have to get to a certain rev to switch gears. On a manual, I can upshift or down shift before getting to those revs. There's a reason F1 vehicles have manual tranny over auto
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by airsaylongcome: 6:30pm On Oct 04, 2023
Incognito9:
Automatic transmission is faster than manual

Anybody that say manual is faster don't know anything concerning cars, with automatic kickdown you will beat any shit from manual.

Given your assertion, is there a reason F1 race cars don't use auto trannies?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Shellsploit: 6:33pm On Oct 04, 2023
When driving uphill with load a manual transmission is more faster than auto transmission
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Falex114(m): 6:33pm On Oct 04, 2023
Automatic is more faster and you can even determine the gear changing in auto.... Is just the driver that matters
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Sprints3: 6:33pm On Oct 04, 2023
Temidayo9:
No, but you are more in control of your speed and gear yourself when you drive manual transmission engine.
yes manual are faster than auto transmission.... I have tried and tested it... If u are a very good driver no auto transmission car can beat u... Cuz u shift ur sticks earlier than an auto car... U can shift from 3 -4 2-4 all na depends on driver experience

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by itsmayiela(m): 6:34pm On Oct 04, 2023
Brendaniel:
No, The major difference is take off, why do you think police and most transport drivers use manual, because you can get to your highest gear within a shorter distance than auto.

If a police man is driving an automatic and is chasing a thief using manual and they have to make so many turns from street to street, the police might never catch the thief, but if they enter a free expressway over a long distance without any stops then the possibility becomes higher for the police, because they will both exhaust their maximum gears.

Now this is where engine power will begin to really talk but most thieves prefer manual same with police....

Lawrence Nomayagbon Anini has spoken.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Sprints3: 6:35pm On Oct 04, 2023
Falex114:
Automatic is more faster and you can even determine the gear changing in auto.... Is just the driver that matters
stop lying even verstappen no dey drive auto computer go dey change sticks for u.... Please no dey compare Toyota auto with manual make we bet bring your car then I will use manual transmission car to win you in a drag race
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by okoroemeka(m): 6:35pm On Oct 04, 2023
lordm:
are you sure the type of manual gear you drove,rally cars,race cars drift cars,and even formula one cars use manual gears,you cannot race in an automatic gearbox,you don't have control of the engine power but manual gear gives you the control to use the whole engine power to shred a tyre to pieces of needed
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Calitoscassius(m): 6:35pm On Oct 04, 2023
Offpointng:

Instead of explaining to us why una feel Automatic is faster or manual is faster. look at y'all disgracing yourselves. Nonsensical akwabas sad

I don't owe you any explainations. Manual vehicles are old.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by zelaws: 6:35pm On Oct 04, 2023
Can shift between gear 1 to 4 within 3 poles with manual, not sure its possible with automatic within the same distance. Manual gives the control to switch your speed promptly while automatic gives the glide.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Ab0bii: 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2023
From my experience with both, i had said MANUAL IS FASTER because the driver will be communicting with the engine directly.

Take for instance that two(manual and auto) are racing, when climbing a hill, manual will outshine auto due to how how the driver will engage the most strong and fast gear to climb, will manual will be busy engaging different gears that may slow down the car.
Similarly, one can select from gear 2 to 4 on manual when coming down on a hill instantly to beat auto that can not free up the engine at once.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by airsaylongcome: 6:36pm On Oct 04, 2023
easytig:
I rebuke poverty for you amen.who prefers manual to automatic in this modern age

You have it twisted fam. Most of the luxurious race cars use manual transmission. Is that because of poverty?

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Sprints3: 6:37pm On Oct 04, 2023
Brendaniel:
No, The major difference is take off, why do you think police and most transport drivers use manual, because you can get to your highest gear within a shorter distance than auto.

If a police man is driving an automatic and is chasing a thief using manual and they have to make so many turns from street to street, the police might never catch the thief, but if they enter a free expressway over a long distance without any stops then the possibility becomes higher for the police, because they will both exhaust their maximum gears.

Now this is where engine power will begin to really talk but most thieves prefer manual same with police....
you sabi if you notice vin diesel is always using manual in his FAst furious movies... He uses dodge charger or hellfire cuz of his mad horsepower horsepower wey dey match DAF trailer...

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by airsaylongcome: 6:38pm On Oct 04, 2023
Calitoscassius:
I don't owe you any explainations. Manual vehicles are old.

Lol! Really? A 2023 Ferrari is powered by a manual transmission. Is that old to you?

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by casualobserver: 6:40pm On Oct 04, 2023
ibinaboonline:
The debate has been ongoing for a long time now and this is my two cents on the matter.

A car's speed is not solely determined by whether it has a manual or automatic transmission. Both manual and automatic transmissions can offer similar performance in terms of speed.

However, the actual speed and acceleration depend on various factors such as the engine's power, torque, aerodynamics, and weight.

True, manual transmissions can provide a more direct connection between the driver and the engine, allowing for precise control and potentially faster acceleration if the driver is skilled at shifting gears efficiently.

On the other hand, modern automatic transmissions, especially those with advanced dual-clutch or continuously variable designs, can shift gears quickly and efficiently, potentially rivaling or surpassing the performance of manual transmissions.

Experienced drivers, what do you think?

The top speed and acceleration of any car is determined by it’s final axle drive ratio and very little to do with automatic or manual these days. The days when automatics were slower than manuals are long gone. If you change the differential axle ratio a car will accelerate faster but will have a lower top speed and vice versa irrespective of whether it is a manual or an automatic.

See below

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/videos/a32293/final-drive-ratio-engineering-explained/

2 Likes

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by ubee(m): 6:40pm On Oct 04, 2023
What type of question is this?
Is the OP a ten year old?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Hotfreezing: 6:40pm On Oct 04, 2023
Incognito9:
Automatic transmission is faster than manual

Anybody that say manual is faster don't know anything concerning cars, with automatic kickdown you will beat any shit from manual.

Mtcheeeeew
Which racecar have you seen that is automatic?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Calitoscassius(m): 6:41pm On Oct 04, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Lol! Really? A 2023 Ferrari is powered by a manual transmission. Is that old to you?
Have you driven a 2023 ferrari?
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by Incognito9: 6:41pm On Oct 04, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Given your assertion, is there a reason F1 race cars don't use auto trannies?

Automatic transmission is often viewed as a driver aid, but in Formula 1, the emphasis is on the driver's skills. That's why manual transmission is preferred, allowing the driver to have complete control over every aspect of the race. Additionally, when it comes to drifting around corners, using manual transmission is generally considered easier compared to automatic transmission.
Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by chiboycue: 6:41pm On Oct 04, 2023
ibinaboonline:
The debate has been ongoing for a long time now and this is my two cents on the matter.

A car's speed is not solely determined by whether it has a manual or automatic transmission. Both manual and automatic transmissions can offer similar performance in terms of speed.

However, the actual speed and acceleration depend on various factors such as the engine's power, torque, aerodynamics, and weight.

True, manual transmissions can provide a more direct connection between the driver and the engine, allowing for precise control and potentially faster acceleration if the driver is skilled at shifting gears efficiently.

On the other hand, modern automatic transmissions, especially those with advanced dual-clutch or continuously variable designs, can shift gears quickly and efficiently, potentially rivaling or surpassing the performance of manual transmissions.

Experienced drivers, what do you think?

I think it depends on the number of cylinder of the engine. A 6 cylinder engine would be faster than a 4 cylinder irrespective of whether they break is manually or automatically driven

I also think that automatical gear would accelerate faster than manual gear

1 Like

Re: Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? by adanny01(m): 6:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
profmallor:
Formular 1 cars have a restriction on fully automatic gear systems because it gives undue advantage to the car as against the driver's skill. This implies that automatic gear systems on the long run provide more speed to the driver due to the efficiencies it offers.

Good point.

Automatic knows what gear. when to shift and changes the gear in microseconds depending also on different modes of driving. This is achieved by a computer that has several sensors.

All that skill cannot be easily done by a human. It's a skill only for the best. Even for the best, the computer changes the gear faster leading to the semi automatic transmission in F1.

A lot of newer cars don't have manual options because the average driver thinks he knows how to drive a manual but will burn the clutch in no time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Pls Help: Catalytic Converter Missing In Exhaust Pipe / 5 Times You Should Dim The Headlights Of Your Car – VIS / Man Crashed A 3-wheeled Car With A Gyrocopter While Trying To Make It Fly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.