Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,442 members, 7,819,633 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo (11054 Views)

Summary Of Cases Handled By CCT - Till Date / Niger-Delta Amnesty Fueled Boko Haram - Obasanjo / How Would OBJ Have Handled Amaechi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by aloyemeka1: 2:34am On Oct 21, 2011
[size=14pt]How I would have handled Boko Haram, by Obasanjo[/size]

From Njadvara Musa, Maiduguri

FORMER president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, on Tuesday said if the Boko Haram insurgence had erupted during his term in office, he would have ended the serial killings by adopting what he described as "carrot and stick" approach as he did with the Niger Delta militants.

Obasanjo, spoke on Tuesday in a special Hausa programme of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), which was monitored in Maiduguri, Borno State, the home base of the radical Islamic sect.

He said: "What I will do to bring an end to the serial killings and bombings in the northern states, was the adaptation of the carrot and stick approach on the Niger Delta militants, where I invited 35 different leaders of the militants from the region and listened to all their grievances against the Federal Government and their traditional leaders, whom they alleged had been conniving with the latter."

According to Obasanjo, the carrot would include addressing "poverty and unemployment" in the North, while the stick could be in the form of dialogue and "massive intelligence gathering" by the security agents to root out perpetrators of the alleged serial killings and bombings.

Meanwhile, the family of Mohammed Baba Fugu has noted that Obasanjo's statement on the Boko Haram sect and his visit to the late Babakura Fugu on September 15, 2011 have caused more havoc and devastations to their members.

Yakolo Baba Fugu, the younger sister to the late Babakura told the BBC that Obasanjo's alleged statement that he had no regret on the death of her brother was very unfair, inconsiderate and painful to the entire members of the Fugu family.

According to her, the former president's visit created nothing, other than sadness and pains.     "Obasanjo's visit to Maiduguri has no impact on our lives. We thought after his visit to Maiduguri, we would have roof on our heads. But the whole thing has turned out to be a terrible encounter with the former president. Our family members are now in a worsening situation.  Babakura died and left behind 10 children from two wives and all of them are squatting with members of the larger family."

But Obasanjo maintained that his visit to Fugu's family was a fact-finding one on the Boko Haram revolt in Borno State.http://odili.net/news/source/2011/oct/20/1.html
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by koruji(m): 3:34am On Oct 21, 2011
OBJ instructing GEJ on how to handle Boko Haram is like IBB advising Nigerians on how to mid-wive democratic rule. Failure instructing failure.

The version of Boko Haram we have today can be linked to OBJ's refusal to instill the fear of the constitution in the Northern Sharia governors - hence BH is insisting on extending Sharia all over the North. If that worked they will use the same method to insist on the South becoming Sharia states.

Does he also consider his ND policy successful? With the maggot-ridden NDDC? The ND is calm right now only because of GEJ in Aso Rock.

Mark my words. ND militants are re-arming. Unless oil is not worth a dime by 2015 the election of 2015 & winner will see red. Bribery with Aso Rock and a couple of billions can only last so long.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Akanbiedu(m): 3:44am On Oct 21, 2011
OBJ, the super-monkey. How well did solve the ND problem? By killing everybody in Odi?
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by htajz: 6:39am On Oct 21, 2011
boko harem is a product of his failed 8 years adminstration.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:03am On Oct 21, 2011
htajz:

boko harem is a product of his failed 8 years adminstration.

Actually not, Boko haram is a product of sharia.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Nobody: 7:05am On Oct 21, 2011
He said: "What I will do to bring an end to the serial killings and bombings in the northern states, was the adaptation of the carrot and stick approach on the Niger Delta militants, where I invited 35 different leaders of the militants from the region and listened to all their grievances against the Federal Government and their traditional leaders, whom they alleged had been conniving with the latter."

This is some sort of joke.

The same way he listened to Ekiti state when he forced that bytch on us?
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by kettykin: 7:59am On Oct 21, 2011
obj the cameloen and coward , how did you handle sharia crises that claimed more than 10,000 lives in kaduna was about to snow ball into a genocide had aba and onitsha people not risen to the task of checkmating the rampaging jihadist.

How did you handle corruption by arrestig kalu ,dariyeand nnamani while leaving big time rogues like bode george , tinubu , ibb, abdusalami .

How did you handle jos , bauch crises that gave birth to bokoharam by declaring state of emergency in plateau and leaving bauchi.

We all remember how the refineries never worked during your tenure and how oil price rose from 70k to naira70.
We remember how you closed business belonging to igbo men (ibeto ,kalu, nwobodo) even when there was acute shortage of jobs.
We remember how during your tenure your friends dangote,adenuga,jimoh ibrahim, and otedola became mega rich and bought over nigeria.
We remember how elections were conducted and won in anambra , ekiti and how governors were impeached with soldiers in bayelsa , plateau and anambra.
We remember the waste of 16 billion dollars on nepa.
We thank you and hope you be alive to reap your harvest.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Pukkah: 8:38am On Oct 21, 2011
@kettykin, well done.

A character like Obasanjo is boasting and bragging about Boko Haram because the present administration has directly or indirectly made him relevant.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by redsun(m): 8:59am On Oct 21, 2011
Animal. What will stop d masses from marching to obj haven and burn him alive with all the spoils of looting?And in the process kick start a revolution where all the nigerian official thieves and traitors are systematically and ruthlessly disposed
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by PointB: 9:09am On Oct 21, 2011
@topic

Senile of old man.

How did he solve the ND problem? What grievances do the Boko Haram terrorist have, other than the fact that the want to Islamize nigeria?

Carrot my foot! He should add cabbage, cucumber and what have you. In fact he should give them salad!

I laugh in Obj.grin grin grin grin
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:41am On Oct 21, 2011
Obasanjo is still alive shocked
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Olaone1: 9:46am On Oct 21, 2011
PointB:

@topic

Senile of old man.

Very apt!
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Nobody: 9:56am On Oct 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Actually not, Boko haram is a product of sharia.

Yeah I agree. The militants problem was also a product of sharia
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by kunlej2: 10:15am On Oct 21, 2011
who introduced six Geo-political region and for what purpose?
who instituted NDDC?
Who gave he SS hope of Presidency (infact what they were not looking for)?
Baba tried in his time, the ss should be grateful to him

Please, the f o o ls on this thread should fk off, Nigerians forget too early
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by daywatcher: 10:15am On Oct 21, 2011
jus hurry up and die jare
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by johndavid1(m): 10:20am On Oct 21, 2011
daywatcher:

jus hurry up and die jare
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by engrj(m): 10:21am On Oct 21, 2011
To me this Man have a lot of experience more than GEJ. cus remember he was ones a military man so he would have don more better than this present president. But it would have be in a very hard way. because BH are using bomb not guns like de ex-militant.  smiley
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Gbenge77(m): 10:35am On Oct 21, 2011
we dont need his opinion.he should keep his counsel
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by sheyguy: 10:36am On Oct 21, 2011
kettykin:

obj the cameloen and coward , how did you handle sharia crises that claimed more than 10,000 lives in kaduna was about to snow ball into a genocide had aba and onitsha people not risen to the task of checkmating the rampaging jihadist.

How did you handle corruption by arrestig kalu ,dariyeand nnamani while leaving big time rogues like bode george , tinubu , ibb, abdusalami .

How did you handle jos , bauch crises that gave birth to bokoharam by declaring state of emergency in plateau and leaving bauchi.

We all remember how the refineries never worked during your tenure and how oil price rose from 70k to naira70.
We remember how you closed business belonging to igbo men (ibeto ,kalu, nwobodo) even when there was acute shortage of jobs.
We remember how during your tenure your friends dangote,adenuga,jimoh ibrahim, and otedola became mega rich and bought over nigeria.
We remember how elections were conducted and won in anambra , ekiti and how governors were impeached with soldiers in bayelsa , plateau and anambra.
We remember the waste of 16 billion dollars on nepa.
We thank you and hope you be alive to reap your harvest.

pls there r other factors obj govt. Is not all about obj alone.
We all know how pple from a certain region put him there. They r angry now u pple want to blame obj.
I dont think that's aj right directiom to go.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by bekay911(f): 10:46am On Oct 21, 2011
After witnessing hw Gadafi wuz killed i kinda wish such tins wud happen to d lyks of OBJ, IBB, Buhari
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by chakula: 11:06am On Oct 21, 2011
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Ifemyke: 11:09am On Oct 21, 2011
OBJ, I beg make we hear word. Na today? Your Odi solution abi?
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 21, 2011
i seem to remember gej blathering about carrot and stick too

or was that what obj told him to say in his earlier letters from ota
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Torch1(m): 11:40am On Oct 21, 2011
What is the difference between Obj and Gaddafi, Is Gaddafi not better than him.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by alexola20(m): 11:41am On Oct 21, 2011
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Kx: 11:47am On Oct 21, 2011
Torch1:

What is the difference between Obj and Gaddafi,  Is Gaddafi not better than him.
Gadafi was bad but he provided all his people could ever need in terms of infrastructure. I cant say same for obj
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by cjfavour(m): 11:50am On Oct 21, 2011
He would have solved it just like he solved that of zaki biam and odi. OBJ is a failure.We shld stop taking d words of this psycho serious.What happened to d man he visited at maiduguri?killed .remember what he did to asari dokubo.how he was kidnappened after visiting obj? OBJ simply cannot b trusted.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Beaf: 11:55am On Oct 21, 2011
kunle_j:

who introduced six Geo-political region and for what purpose?
who instituted NDDC?
Who gave he SS hope of Presidency (infact what they were not looking for)?
Baba tried in his time, the ss should be grateful to him

Please, the f o o ls on this thread should fk off, Nigerians forget too early

Yes, Obj created the foundations for a more equitable Nigeria. That is something we must never sweep under the carpet, whatever his weaknesses might be, it is a mega achievement that so far is unequaled.
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by pinkrex(m): 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2011
Is obj a failure than ABACHA?
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by kunlej2: 12:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
God bless you beaf
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by kunlej2: 12:34pm On Oct 21, 2011
to those who are quick to forget, obj (alias baba iyabo) is the hero of our political revolution and it is left for us to sustain it. (i am not convinced most of these clamoring here are affected by the revolution) use-less abokis).
baba, i throw salute
Re: How I Would Have Handled Boko Haram - Obasanjo by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 21, 2011
[size=15pt]No doubt OBJ is a Brilliant man but Curruption overtakes reason, so that's why he wouldn't succeed at it if he was given the chance.[/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

2015: Northern Governors May Form New Party / 2023: Run For President, Arewa Youth Forum Tell Kogi Governor / Fuel Queues Return To Abuja, Others As Supply Dips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.