Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,514 members, 7,850,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:46 AM

Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This (17029 Views)

Please Help Solve This Tenant Vs Landlord Issue Let Me Know My Rights / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Ghanaian Landlord Drinks Beer After His Arrest For Land Scam (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by GboyegaD(m): 7:54pm On Oct 06, 2023
Is it possible to reach out to the Landlord/Landlady directly? Try to do that as you might be able to reverse the quit notice.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by MykellOni(m): 7:54pm On Oct 06, 2023
A
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by OceanEye: 7:57pm On Oct 06, 2023
Nawa oo
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by OlujobaSamuel: 7:57pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

i understand a friend told me they are suppose to refund me back that since there's no refund that i still have right to spend at least 3 month after my due date under the law.
A friend prepping you for wahala. You can get quit notice at any point in time. You can even get payment receipt plus quit notice together

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Brownemeka: 7:57pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:
I promise to make this simple and short. Please kindly bear with me. however i write this am mind is filled up.
I just got an apartment where am living for now with my wife and daughter which is going to be 2yrs of me staying by January 14 2024. but the issue i have right now is that i was suppose to renew my house rent January 14 2023 the sum of 550k year due to how difficult everything was so

i make half payment on December 2022 to the lawyer and make the lawyer understand the situation of thing at the moment and he accept with me sum of 275k that's 6 month payment so hoping before June/July i will be paid the remaining half. fast forward to August 16 i message the lawyer

again on whatsapp again concerns the second half payment which i did another 275k but to my surpise after paying the said amount i got quit notice letter just 1 weeks after making payment that i shoudn't renew my rent again and i should leave the house before january 14 or by january 14. so i went to the lawyer office and let him know how i feel about this that what my offend and when you know you're given me QUIT NOTICE why collecting money from me again and he doesnt respond to my question saying the landlady complain my wife doesnt use to greet her whereas we are living in the same compound but we tenant have our own gate while the landlord have their own personal gate and compound we doesn't share the same compound because there's demarcation between the tenant and landlord.

my problem and concerns at the moment is i dont have money yet on me to rent another apartment i will really need enough time. I want people here to enlighten me on this under the law, is it how it works in Lagos state and secondly i was told they are coming for inspection of my apartment by November if i made any damage in the apartment when am still living in the apartment likewise am new to this i pay for damage the sum of 60k i never damage anything in the apartment still this moment everything is in order. i really better knowledge on this about the quite notice and inspection of house around November because i dont trust the landlord for who they claim to be PASTOR

I'm still to read and reply back

thanks
Oga get a lawyer that knows about tenancy agreement... With that,U will buy yourself a good time to ready yourself and pack out
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by bekpo(m): 7:58pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

i understand a friend told me they are suppose to refund me back that since there's no refund that i still have right to spend at least 3 month after my due date under the law.

That friend of urs is a stack illiterate just like u, but he's more dangerous than urs because he's trying to use his to push u into more trouble with ur landlord.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by CharleyBright(m): 7:58pm On Oct 06, 2023
Rule 1: If you are seeking accomodation, avoid the ones that Landlord/lady lives inside same compound. They are monitoring spirits.

Rule 2: If you must live in same compound with the landlord, try avoid being in their bad books. And if you ever find yourself in their bad books, make sure you pay your rent as when due. Most landlords are very vindictive. And the power they have over their tenants is rent.

That said, I really sympathize with your situation. I quite understand that u are worried of the eviction cos you don't have the ready means of getting another accomodation.
Obviously, your landlord has realized that you won't be able to pay full rent when your present rent expires. You gave them the Reg Flag when you decided to stagger the rent.

I don't want to dwell on your wife not greeting your landlord/lady. Greeting no be love. I don't see why anyone can use such against anyone
Such unnecessary pettiness comes from most landlords in the west.
But try speak with your wife to show respect to her elders by simple courtesy of greetings. It won't take anything away from her. Even if she doesn't like the landlady, good morning and walk pass. That's all.

Now here is my advise :
Go speak with your landlord. Ask why she should use your wife's inability to greet as and excuse for eviction?
Plead with him/her if possible. And most of all, promise you will try pay rent in full when it expires.

And above all, I simply don't understand why you, your wife and a child (3 persons) would be needing a 2 bedroom apartment. Unless you are exaggerated about the rent, a one bedroom should cost 500k.
Dude, the truth is that you are living about your means if you are struggling with your rent. You don't need a 2 bedroom flat if it's only you and your wife and a child. You need a bedroom flat.
Lastly, try get a cheaper accomodation and lessen your rent burden.

8 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by socialmediaman: 7:59pm On Oct 06, 2023
OP @ anainterior2018 I have a few questions:

1. What month and year did your rent start? E.g January 2022

2. What month and year will it end? E.g January 2024

3. What was the agreement? 1-year or 2-year agreement?

4. How many years have you paid for fully based on the agreement in No 3?

5. How much is remaining to be paid based on agreement in No 3?

6. When does landlord want you to leave based on the quit notice?

These questions will help me understand better

Thank you

PS: if you just need a lawyer but can’t afford one, consider contacting the free legal aid council in your state, which is free and located in every state in Nigeria

Contacts in Lagos:

LEGAL AID COUNCIL.
10 Okotie Eboh Road South West Ikoyi Lagos.
State Coordinator – Mrs. I.T. Akingbade 08059890539
Zonal Director –Mrs. Funmi Odutayo 08083498715

LEGAL AID COUNCIL.
Legal Aid Council Badagry Centre Badagry, Lagos.
Ijeoma Mbah - 08035464273

Source: https://legalaidcouncil.gov.ng/south-west-zone-and-state-offices/

5 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by laivwire(m): 7:59pm On Oct 06, 2023
The story ofthe wife is a cheap excuse. They've gotten indications that you may not be able to meet up with paying rents and they took prompt action.

Of course they don't need to tell you anything and you are supposed to pay your complete rent. Why should they not collect the complete rent?

Instead of the 6 months law tenants use to enjoy free rent, they've taken action at the right time. The lawyer is doing his job. 5 months is enough to seek cheaper accommodation and I advise you get on with it. Failing on that, expect swift physical action backed by legal jargon to boot you and your family out of the property by January.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by IamAsiri: 8:00pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

It's six months within rent period and yes, the lawyer/home owner is within his/her rights. The 3 extra months is if the notification period has neared the period when you were meant to renew your rent, so as to enable you find a better house within that timeframe.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by phemmyfour: 8:02pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:
I promise to make this simple and short. Please kindly bear with me. however i write this am mind is filled up.
I just got an apartment where am living for now with my wife and daughter which is going to be 2yrs of me staying by January 14 2024. but the issue i have right now is that i was suppose to renew my house rent January 14 2023 the sum of 550k year due to how difficult everything was so

i make half payment on December 2022 to the lawyer and make the lawyer understand the situation of thing at the moment and he accept with me sum of 275k that's 6 month payment so hoping before June/July i will be paid the remaining half. fast forward to August 16 i message the lawyer

again on whatsapp again concerns the second half payment which i did another 275k but to my surpise after paying the said amount i got quit notice letter just 1 weeks after making payment that i shoudn't renew my rent again and i should leave the house before january 14 or by january 14. so i went to the lawyer office and let him know how i feel about this that what my offend and when you know you're given me QUIT NOTICE why collecting money from me again and he doesnt respond to my question saying the landlady complain my wife doesnt use to greet her whereas we are living in the same compound but we tenant have our own gate while the landlord have their own personal gate and compound we doesn't share the same compound because there's demarcation between the tenant and landlord.

my problem and concerns at the moment is i dont have money yet on me to rent another apartment i will really need enough time. I want people here to enlighten me on this under the law, is it how it works in Lagos state and secondly i was told they are coming for inspection of my apartment by November if i made any damage in the apartment when am still living in the apartment likewise am new to this i pay for damage the sum of 60k i never damage anything in the apartment still this moment everything is in order. i really better knowledge on this about the quite notice and inspection of house around November because i dont trust the landlord for who they claim to be PASTOR

thanks
Even if you move to a new apartment, you will be struggling to pay. Why don't you move to a cheaper location where the rent is in the range of 250-270k

You are not doing a thorough plan with your resources

6 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by samuelson06(m): 8:03pm On Oct 06, 2023
jackmrandy:

Lagos a very deadly state. Full with greedy landlords, lawyers, agents and what have you. What I will advice you do, get a lawyer, if they want you to leave the house, a notice windows of 6months is ok to enable you prepare and source for another accommodation. Talk to the landlord. Get a lawyer who knows much about the tenancy law in lagos. Nor let them use you. If people open their mouth to tell you what they are going through in lagos you will. Be amaze. It's a f***King state.

The notice window should be after your rent has expired.

You guys should advise people right. Whether he leaves once his rent expires or choose to ask for grace period to look for a place, he'll pay 100% for occupying the apartment for the period he's going to be there. Quit notice after your rent expires doesn't mean you are going to stay in someone's house for free until you see a new place to move to.

I'll advise him to start looking for a place, then ask for refunds of whatever remains and leave. No point looking for trouble. No point going to court.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Skillsnigeria: 8:04pm On Oct 06, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by worldclass68(m): 8:06pm On Oct 06, 2023
If a salary of two months can't pay rent comfortably....nah wahala.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by article1: 8:07pm On Oct 06, 2023
One would expect that you that pay 550k/ year for house rent should have a good lawyer. I expected you to contact your lawyer immediately you were served the q up it notice instead of rushing to nairaland for advise. You may not get the right advise here on this platform, instead what you get from majority of us will be more confusing.
I advise you contact a good lawyer. I wish you good luck.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by gassbee: 8:09pm On Oct 06, 2023
Zonefree:

Women undecided

Husband and Landlord are tight friends but Wife and Landlady are 'cat and dog'.

Now, landlord has to evict his friend cos of a woman.

The world would have been a better place without women.

Always remember, God and Adam were paddy until Eve came.

the wife is not in good terms with the landlord's wife and stil wants to live in same compound with her, thats not possible
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by berbs: 8:09pm On Oct 06, 2023
jackmrandy:

Lagos a very deadly state. Full with greedy landlords, lawyers, agents and what have you. What I will advice you do, get a lawyer, if they want you to leave the house, a notice windows of 6months is ok to enable you prepare and source for another accommodation. Talk to the landlord. Get a lawyer who knows much about the tenancy law in lagos. Nor let them use you. If people open their mouth to tell you what they are going through in lagos you will. Be amaze. It's a f***King state.

Not only Lagos ooo. Ibadan has joined them. Those guys are really brutal.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Donemmy(m): 8:10pm On Oct 06, 2023
Bless you. I addressed this same issue ealier today. Only God know where that notion originated from.
MasterJayJay:

Refund of what? Your friend na olodo! If you listen to him, you will enter in a trap.

The 3 months after due date, you think it is free? You will still pay the landlord for any extra day you live in that house after the due date.

You should start looking for another apartment that is cheaper than the present one you occupy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by youngsahito(m): 8:11pm On Oct 06, 2023
The landlord can't do nothing even if the quit notice expires cos las las una will go to court for house matter. If you don't get an apartment now, the landlord can't throw away ur property outside without any court statement.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by bablon20(m): 8:13pm On Oct 06, 2023
I will try to be neutral, this is ur own version of the story, how I wish we can hear the Landlord's version. There r many cool headed guys with mad and untrained wife out there. You never can tell if ur wife has had issue with d landlord without informing you because I wonder what could have caused such emergency quit notice. You still have 6 months grace to get a better and affordable apartment but try and know who your wife is really is, so u won't have d same issue in ur new apartment.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Ashirioluwa: 8:16pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

thanks

I believe the landlord likes a one-time full payment, not part payments.

Since you have paid for this year, go to the lawyer and ask him to give you at least 6 months to enable you to look for a new apartment, or go to your landlord to have a word with her.

When you’re looking for an apartment, make sure you look for one you know you can afford so you won't have a problem like this again in the future.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Checkwell: 8:17pm On Oct 06, 2023
HopeSpencer:
You struggled to pay your last rent by paying it in tranches. This means you may not be able to pay next year rent at all until 2024 runs out. That's why they quickly found a way to avoid you owing them rent and the legal battles that will accompany evicting you by force.

They gave you a notice already. 5 months enough for you to find an apartment you can afford. Live below your means.

I was paying less than 20k for house rent in the town I was until last month when I moved to another town where my family members own houses. I work from home and I'm no longer paying any rent.

Your contribution is fine, but your last paragraph is totally not necessary!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by candygist: 8:19pm On Oct 06, 2023
jackmrandy:

I see nothing like greedy landlord here bro, it's simple, if you can't meet up with the rules and regulation stated in your tenancy agreement form with the landlord, the owner of the house is allowed to give you a 6 months notice to quite. Find a place you can afford to pay instead of stressing the house owner. Your wife dey carry shoulder instead of her to humble herself till God go bless you.

4 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Globalistic(f): 8:19pm On Oct 06, 2023
My brother, this advice is entirely for you and ensure you take it to bank.

Firstly, from all indications, you struggle to pay your rent meaning you are living above your means. I do not blame you because things are hard or maybe you're doing it to please your wife which my candid advice is to quit and go for a cheaper rent.

Note: If your two and half months salary can't pay your rent, then you're in trouble because there are many unforseen bills waiting to swallow your income.

Secondly, the Barrister only effected that just to either scare you and work on your psychology.

My Advice: Consult a Barrister who has an indebt knowledge of Tenancy Law and make sure you don't sign any Quit Notice issued to you. In November, never you grant your landlord's lawyer access to your apartment.

Finally, make plans to relocate to a cheaper apartment to avoid insult. And while doing so, save money to build even if it's a half plot of land and start building gradually.

Do this and thank me later.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by greggng: 8:20pm On Oct 06, 2023
Foodqueen:
Does your wife greet her or not

Don't justify the fact that u don't share entrance, u will definitely see each other somehow.

All these kain women wey no de like peace sef...

Your question us irrelevant ..there us no place in law thst says you most greet your landlord or Keal her ass ..The Contract btw two of you is fiduciary...in nature ...pay your rent and have access to what you paid for . Let him get a lawyer ..no body can evict you without court order ...that means after your rent expiration ...you are entitled to 6months notice ...if it expires some more notice and then he proceed to court where it will be finally decided. All this time buying is to enable you raise money . I am a landlord for 19 years plus I have never increased my rent cos I believe I am acting with my conscience. What he did to this tenant is very bad ...

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by yad2eidi: 8:20pm On Oct 06, 2023
Commot for house if u no fit pay

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by xtervaganza(m): 8:21pm On Oct 06, 2023
Stop living above your means . And your wife sef
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Blackdisciple(m): 8:27pm On Oct 06, 2023
Sometimes I always think what is the problem of all these so called landlords...

There's an apartment I went to do some work there which I know the driver of the man well, to cut the long story short the driver told me that the agent came over to his bosses apartment that there is a meeting after prior notification and boss wasn't around so the driver had to attend to the agent and reason for the meeting is to go round the apartment and check everywhere so after checking the agent notify the owner that everything is fine and the owner asked the agent to take a picture of the sitting room for him of which the agent told the driver and driver accepted, agent took pictures and send it to the owner omoh na so house rent increased with 1m ooo.

My own story is another thing, yours is even better my landlord send a letter to about 6 of his tenants including me that he dont want part payment any more, mind you I pay more than half of the payment and I complete it the following month end, if I say more than half I mean remaining paying is always 10 to 20% of the payment remaining and I always make sure I settle it the following month but still gave me quite notice demanding me to evacuate his property when my rent is due because he wants a to renovate without giving me time to arrange myself .

According to Lagos State Tenancy Law is that
If you pay monthly you are entitled to a month to evacuate..

If you pay in 6 months you are entitled to 3months to evacuate ..

If you pay yearly you are entitled to 6 months to evacuate..

So why would he give me just after my rent expires I should evacuate immediately make my people help me ooo because me I ready to make trouble with the man oo but e go affeyme because Na the same building him dey too...

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by mfm04622: 8:29pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

thanks
The simple truth is, there is nothing you can do. Don't let anybody deceive you! You need to make arrangement to leave the house.
1. They gave you adequate notice.
2. They are entitled to collect rent for the time you spent in the house.
3. The landlord is entitled to inspect his property. If you didn't damage the property, you are entitled to refund of your deposit.
so, look for another accommodation.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Deeprooted: 8:30pm On Oct 06, 2023
smiley
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by windvane(m): 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Foodqueen:
Does your wife greet her or not

Don't justify the fact that u don't share entrance, u will definitely see each other somehow.

All these kain women wey no de like peace sef...
where is it written that I or my wife has to greet the owner of the house.....all I owe the owner is my rent....

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by dododawa1: 8:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
Annually ₦550k

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Duplex Plan Design / Fire Outbreak At Ire Akari Estate, Soka In Ibadan (Photo) / Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.