Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,640 members, 7,851,147 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 02:08 PM

Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This (17037 Views)

Please Help Solve This Tenant Vs Landlord Issue Let Me Know My Rights / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Ghanaian Landlord Drinks Beer After His Arrest For Land Scam (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by soccerlite: 8:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

i understand a friend told me they are suppose to refund me back that since there's no refund that i still have right to spend at least 3 month after my due date under the law.

Are you ready to leave before Jan 2024

Then you will be given refund

It shows that they don't want 1/2 payment

Maybe it's not in the agreement

So they quickly evict you
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by mfm04622: 8:37pm On Oct 06, 2023
greggng:

Your question us irrelevant ..there us no place in law thst says you most greet your landlord or Keal her ass ..The Contract btw two of you is fiduciary...in nature ...pay your rent and have access to what you paid for . Let him get a lawyer ..no body can evict you without court order ...that means after your rent expiration ...you are entitled to 6months notice ...if it expires some more notice and then he proceed to court where it will be finally decided. All this time buying is to enable you raise money . I am a landlord for 19 years plus I have never increased my rent cos I believe I am acting with my conscience. What he did to this tenant is very bad ...

You have started misleading him!

From the look of things, he is dealing with a landlord or agent that knows what he is doing.

There is no law anywhere that says you have to stay 6 months without paying rent because you were given quit notice! The essence of quit notice is to give the tenant time to look for alternative accommodation, not to cause loss to the landlord.
the same law that specifies quit notice also says the tenants have only 7 days in some states, 14 days in some after the rent elapsed to deliver the property to the owner!
If the landlord or agent know what they are doing, he will regret it if he follows your advice!

5 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by remzytimer: 8:39pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:
Please i need advise on what to do

Please just go and plead with your landlord, make peace with him and his wife and let your wife start behaving well too. Sooner or later you will become a landlord too and you may not like what the landlord is complaining about you too.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Junny04(m): 8:40pm On Oct 06, 2023
Only a court of competent jurisdiction can eject you. Even if you are in default, the landlord cannot act on his own, which is tantamount to self help.
The fact that you paid your last rent in 2 installments has automatically changed your tenancy to half yearly tenancy, and such tenancy is entitled to a 3 months notice, whereas you were given more than to that.

What to do?
1. The reason provided by the landlord is very myopic. Have a personal discussion with him and see if you can convince him to allow you keep the place.

2. If the above doesn't work, get a lawyer. Your lawyer knows very well that only a court can eject you from the property. With that, you can buy yourself time to get a new place to rent. Infact, the mere fact that you have a lawyer involved will limit the actions of the landlord, as his lawyer will advise him that if he tries to act funny, your lawyer can get him arrested. The Tenancy Law of Lagos favours the tenant more than the landlord.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by mfm04622: 8:40pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

i understand a friend told me they are suppose to refund me back that since there's no refund that i still have right to spend at least 3 month after my due date under the law.

Why should they refund you?
Under what law? You have spent the time you paid for and they should refund you? How? Why?

Better don't listen to those that want to push you into trouble!
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by PristineSteve(m): 8:41pm On Oct 06, 2023
They are convinced you can't afford the rent comfortably, so they are trying to avoid you owing rent.

Don't allow anyone to deceive you or drag you into mess.

You are to be served 6 months quit notice while your rent is still running.
Once your tenancy terminates by January 14, 2024 & you do not leave the house, you will only be given 14 days notice, then 7 days notice.

Start preparing to leave or try to plead for a change of decision, you still have time.
They will rough handle you & your properties & nothing will happen in Nigeria.
You don't want you family to experience the trouble & embarrassment.

anainterior2018:
I promise to make this simple and short. Please kindly bear with me. however i write this am mind is filled up.
I just got an apartment where am living for now with my wife and daughter which is going to be 2yrs of me staying by January 14 2024. but the issue i have right now is that i was suppose to renew my house rent January 14 2023 the sum of 550k year due to how difficult everything was so

i make half payment on December 2022 to the lawyer and make the lawyer understand the situation of thing at the moment and he accept with me sum of 275k that's 6 month payment so hoping before June/July i will be paid the remaining half. fast forward to August 16 i message the lawyer

again on whatsapp again concerns the second half payment which i did another 275k but to my surpise after paying the said amount i got quit notice letter just 1 weeks after making payment that i shoudn't renew my rent again and i should leave the house before january 14 or by january 14. so i went to the lawyer office and let him know how i feel about this that what my offend and when you know you're given me QUIT NOTICE why collecting money from me again and he doesnt respond to my question saying the landlady complain my wife doesnt use to greet her whereas we are living in the same compound but we tenant have our own gate while the landlord have their own personal gate and compound we doesn't share the same compound because there's demarcation between the tenant and landlord.

my problem and concerns at the moment is i dont have money yet on me to rent another apartment i will really need enough time. I want people here to enlighten me on this under the law, is it how it works in Lagos state and secondly i was told they are coming for inspection of my apartment by November if i made any damage in the apartment when am still living in the apartment likewise am new to this i pay for damage the sum of 60k i never damage anything in the apartment still this moment everything is in order. i really better knowledge on this about the quite notice and inspection of house around November because i dont trust the landlord for who they claim to be PASTOR

I'm still to read and reply back

thanks
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by rickleye: 8:43pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:
I promise to make this simple and short. Please kindly bear with me. however i write this am mind is filled up.
I just got an apartment where am living for now with my wife and daughter which is going to be 2yrs of me staying by January 14 2024. but the issue i have right now is that i was suppose to renew my house rent January 14 2023 the sum of 550k year due to how difficult everything was so

i make half payment on December 2022 to the lawyer and make the lawyer understand the situation of thing at the moment and he accept with me sum of 275k that's 6 month payment so hoping before June/July i will be paid the remaining half. fast forward to August 16 i message the lawyer

again on whatsapp again concerns the second half payment which i did another 275k but to my surpise after paying the said amount i got quit notice letter just 1 weeks after making payment that i shoudn't renew my rent again and i should leave the house before january 14 or by january 14. so i went to the lawyer office and let him know how i feel about this that what my offend and when you know you're given me QUIT NOTICE why collecting money from me again and he doesnt respond to my question saying the landlady complain my wife doesnt use to greet her whereas we are living in the same compound but we tenant have our own gate while the landlord have their own personal gate and compound we doesn't share the same compound because there's demarcation between the tenant and landlord.

my problem and concerns at the moment is i dont have money yet on me to rent another apartment i will really need enough time. I want people here to enlighten me on this under the law, is it how it works in Lagos state and secondly i was told they are coming for inspection of my apartment by November if i made any damage in the apartment when am still living in the apartment likewise am new to this i pay for damage the sum of 60k i never damage anything in the apartment still this moment everything is in order. i really better knowledge on this about the quite notice and inspection of house around November because i dont trust the landlord for who they claim to be PASTOR

thanks

Either the landlord is pastor or devil . He wants you out of his house. Even if the landlord is petty enough to say because your wife doesn’t greet him. Despite there being 2 separate entrances . The main issue I see is because he wants to jack up the price of the house and you’ll not be able to pay.

Start looking for another place.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Checkwell: 8:44pm On Oct 06, 2023
OP, please swallow your pride.

You need to caution your wife make she no dey loose guard. It's costing you your peace, for crying out loud. If you live in Rome, you gats behave like the Romans if you really want peace.

Secondly, there is nothing spiritual about the compound. I don't even believe in that rubbish.

And finally, I think you have to try to pay your rent at once. Not all landlords like getting their rents in piece meals (small, small). If, however, you know you cannot pay in full, quietly pack out of the compound.

If you think of involving lawyers, you will spend money that you don't even have, and you will live to regret your big losses while the lawyers smile to the bank.

Only talk to your landlord if:
1) your wife is willing to mellow down and greet
2) you are willing to pay their rent at once going forward

Without this, just leave, please.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by soccerlite: 8:45pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

of course that can't be change for real i just need time to find good house so i will not fall victims of bad house again. because i discover since i move into this house hardly everything work fine. i even observe my co tenant who just package out of the compound need to sell his car to get new apartment somewhere.

Lolzzzzz 🤣

Superstition

Which work are you doing
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by aspabay(m): 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2023
You just paid the balance and he gave you notice to quit in January 2014. He is in order, that is more than 2 months notice.

Beg him to remain or look for another apartment
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by greggng: 8:48pm On Oct 06, 2023
mfm04622:

You have started misleading him!

From the look of things, he is dealing with a landlord or agent that knows what he is doing.

There is no law anywhere that says you have to stay 6 months without paying rent because you were given quit notice! The essence of quit notice is to give the tenant time to look for alternative accommodation, not to cause loss to the landlord.
the same law that specifies quit notice also says the tenants have only 7 days in some states, 14 days in some after the rent elapsed to deliver the property to the owner!
If the landlord or agent know what they are doing, he will regret it if he follows your advice!

I am talking from experience...what you read in your book is different from court practice. The moral aspect of this case most come to play . I have accompanied some tenants to ogba magistrate Court...I am impressed how cases of this nature are judged . Infact in one of a tenants last appearance he was ask to take 3 more months despite spending 6minths ...Thevreadon for evicting this tenant us laughable cos nobody digs money from ground ...getting a house involved alot ...you need to raise money raise agency fee raise agreement fee and damages...is nit easy ...I am not encouraging him.to make trouble but if he can't raise money b4 the expiration of the notice ...then the landlord had to approach the court to evict him after due process ...he cannot be evicted by force ..I don't need to tell you who I am but I have helped some people on issues if this nature ......
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by BarrElChapo(m): 8:49pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

thanks

If you have a lawyer, involve him or her. If you don't just send me a PM. As much as the landlord has the right to give you a notice to quit anytime, this seems a little bit insensitive.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Timothy89(m): 8:51pm On Oct 06, 2023
they're even doing you a favour, struggling to pay 500k house rent is going to wreck you

you were able to hustle for 275k that's the amount of Money you can gather and find house within that amount ok

plead with the lawyer to give you 2months, you can't win the case most especially if installation payment is not in the agreement you signed with them
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by TruthDefender(m): 8:55pm On Oct 06, 2023
Someone can't pay measly 550k rent and people are advising he gets a lawyer. Won't he pay the lawyer and at the end he will still move out of the house ?

@OP, the only option is to look for a cheaper affordable accommodation and move.

Avoid trouble at all times

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Allisgud: 8:55pm On Oct 06, 2023
Oga go and rent a house u can pay rent easily,na people dey stay for apartment of 250k
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by vickydevoka(m): 8:58pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

thanks
Oga go. Face me I face you , live according to your means n rest
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by DHaran: 9:01pm On Oct 06, 2023
Common sense should tell you that your rent is bigger than you. go for house what you can afford
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by DHaran: 9:01pm On Oct 06, 2023
Common sense should tell you that your rent is bigger than you. go for house That you can afford
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Frakintayo(m): 9:03pm On Oct 06, 2023
Junny04:
Only a court of competent jurisdiction can eject you. Even if you are in default, the landlord cannot act on his own, which is tantamount to self help.
The fact that you paid your last rent in 2 installments has automatically changed your tenancy to half yearly tenancy, and such tenancy is entitled to a 3 months notice, whereas you were given more than to that.

What to do?
1. The reason provided by the landlord is very myopic. Have a personal discussion with him and see if you can convince him to allow you keep the place.

2. If the above doesn't work, get a lawyer. Your lawyer knows very well that only a court can eject you from the property. With that, you can buy yourself time to get a new place to rent. Infact, the mere fact that you have a lawyer involved will limit the actions of the landlord, as his lawyer will advise him that if he tries to act funny, your lawyer can get him arrested. The Tenancy Law of Lagos favours the tenant more than the landlord.
Well said.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by HopeSpencer: 9:06pm On Oct 06, 2023
Checkwell:

Your contribution is fine, but your last paragraph is totally not necessary!

Lol. He needs to understand that being poor is not a crime. Life is in phases.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by FILEBE(m): 9:08pm On Oct 06, 2023
HopeSpencer post=126229074[b:
]You struggled to pay your last rent by paying it in tranches. This means you may not be able to pay next year rent at all until 2024 runs out.[/b] That's why they quickly found a way to avoid you owing them rent and the legal battles that will accompany evicting you by force.

They gave you a notice already. 5 months enough for you to find an apartment you can afford. Live below your means.

I was paying less than 20k for house rent in the town I was until last month when I moved to another town where my family members own houses. I work from home and I'm no longer paying any rent.

Sorry o but no be talk be wetin I bold so. At all! E no follow. Irrespective of how many batches he paid it , as long as tenant made full payment before due date, you have nothing against him. How can you use his payment in installment to judge his future? That is vile and very petty .

The OP didn't say he won't be paying. It is after one fails to pay a house rent that you give quit notice .

All these landlords be playing God. For God's sake have compassion as a landlord!! The economic situation is hard!
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by SoNature(m): 9:08pm On Oct 06, 2023
Zonefree:

Women undecided

Husband and Landlord are tight friends but Wife and Landlady are 'cat and dog'.

Now, landlord has to evict his friend cos of a woman.

The world would have been a better place without women.

Always remember, God and Adam were paddy until Eve came.

Stop blaming Eve.

What did Adam do with his brain?

A man should be a man and stop blaming a woman for his failure.

Adam wasn't man enough. He was a disgrace to humanity.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by damianking1(m): 9:10pm On Oct 06, 2023
The landlord and his wife has refused to mind their business. Your wife owes them no greetings. You have the right to greet and don't greet anybody. Na business partners una be. So he has no justification of evicting you. Man live in that house till your rent expires . Then live there for another 3 months for free, don't allow them scare you. You have your right too as a tenant.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by stevups(m): 9:13pm On Oct 06, 2023
You made mistake. That last payment you made was wrong. You are a student of house Rent in Lagos... If you can get in touch with me ,I teach you how to deal with your issue. You are a good man. But in Lagos, leave your being good in your village and wise up....
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Myer(m): 9:14pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

thanks

She has the right to issue the quit notice.
But this is a simple issue, why don't you and your wife simply go and make peace with her?

Guessing she's a Yoruba woman, it's a matter od culture. These little things matter, just learn how to make peace with people without compromising on your good values, and you'll be fine.

You seem like an easy going couple, just a matter of basic cultural unlearning and relearning here.
God bless you.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Chicentt(f): 9:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
Are you a landlord, cos u sound like one 😎😎
visaclick:
This is how bad wives put their husbands in trouble. The problem with a bad character is that your landlord will use it against u when theres no other reason to evict you. You have no other option than to pack out, no matter the law, the house still belongs to him and nothing can change that.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by lacastre: 9:33pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

thanks

Don’t relate with pple base on their religion rather humanity

When it comes to money and opportunity pple forget their religion rules
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Chummynoni(m): 9:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
greggng:

Your question us irrelevant ..there us no place in law thst says you most greet your landlord or Keal her ass ..The Contract btw two of you is fiduciary...in nature ...pay your rent and have access to what you paid for . Let him get a lawyer ..no body can evict you without court order ...that means after your rent expiration ...you are entitled to 6months notice ...if it expires some more notice and then he proceed to court where it will be finally decided. All this time buying is to enable you raise money . I am a landlord for 19 years plus I have never increased my rent cos I believe I am acting with my conscience. What he did to this tenant is very bad ...
I don’t think it is because of the greetings. The woman is angry because the OP has an arrogant wife despite the fact that the OP doesn’t pay rent as expected . If he does pay the money as required, trust me , the greeting wouldn’t be an issue as long as the occupant is cleaning the house
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Desusi: 9:35pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

Was this in your agreement with your landlord? Its very outrageous hearing from tenants saying that they have right to spend 3 months after their due date under the law, which law? Just settle amicably with pleading and humility with your landlord. My opinion.
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Mandate1: 9:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
Nazgul:
Someone has already pointed out the main reason why you were served quit notice.

Believe me, it's got nothing to do with your wife. It took you almost a whole year to complete your rent. They're having serious doubts about you making an early payment next year. No landlord wants that.

I would advise you to look for somewhere much cheaper since it's obvious that raising 500k has become a Herculean task for you.
500k is not child's play. Take it easy on him. Nigeria is tough.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by tosyne2much(m): 9:36pm On Oct 06, 2023
It's not always about law, it's about wisdom.

You're even lucky that your landlady bluntly opened up that your wife doesn't greet her so you already know where the problem is coming from

Now is the time to swallow your pride, take your wife to her and should resolve the issue in a friendly manner

Now is the time your wife should be in her best behavior towards the landlady.. Before you know it, they will become the best of friends and you will marvel too

But if you and your wife don't want to swallow your ego then be ready to quit the house.. At most, you only get a few months extension
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Chummynoni(m): 9:38pm On Oct 06, 2023
FILEBE:

Sorry o but no be talk be wetin I bold so. At all! E no follow. Irrespective of how many batches he paid it , as long as tenant made full payment before due date, you have nothing against him. How can you use his payment in installment to judge his future? That is vile and very petty .

The OP didn't say he won't be paying. It is after one fails to pay a house rent that you give quit notice .

All these landlords be playing God. For God's sake have compassion as a landlord!! The economic situation is hard!
I am a tenant as well , and I understand problem can come up which warrant the tenant to pay in installment , but don’t make it seem like it’s the right thing. A landlord has the right to collect rent in full except where he / she just want to have compassion. Rent is meant to be paid in full.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Duplex Plan Design / Fire Outbreak At Ire Akari Estate, Soka In Ibadan (Photo) / Things To Know Before You Hire An Architect In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.