Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa (10082 Views)

5 Categories Of Bloggers In Nigeria. Which One Are You? / 10 Powerful Secrets Of Successful Bloggers Exposed! / Top Bloggers In Nigeria 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by LagBlogger(m): 9:30pm On Oct 22, 2011
I guess what the OP means to say it that there are few Nigerian bloggers making serious money from blogging and that can be attributable to some factors;

1. Unprofitable niche

2. Poor Internet Marketing

3. Location

I think if a blogger can build a large volume of highly targeted web traffic for a niche in which there is plenty of advertising then he or she would have profitable experience from blogging.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Orikinla(m): 10:43pm On Oct 22, 2011
I have been blogging since 2005 and from the income I incorporated it as LLC and from the income I paid for a half page advert in The Guardian newspaper  and from the income I have sponsored a youth community portal for a group. I make regular money from Google Adverts on my 27 blogs network, but I make 100 per cent more from non-Google advertisers. Some pay as much as N250000. My digital media company is launching a pay per view online cinema and got a franchise for startups and now a partner in a global digital cinema chain launching soon in Nigeria. Moreover, my Nigerians Report is accepted by the CNN/MuliChoice African Journalist of the Year Awards. Presently Nigerians Report and Nigerian Times have over 45, 000 in bound links and they are the most popular Nigerian news and information blogs. I am part of the global action on Darfur, the Ecuadorian case against Chevron and other very important cases. Some of the contributing writers and reporters include professors and other experts.  What makes a blogger successful is not the celebrity hype, but the authority in the news media locally and internationally. When a blogger is recognized globally as a change agent, that blogger has made it. Just continue blogging on important matters and not counting how many times visitors click on your Google adverts.   Three of the popular celebrity bloggers mentioned in some replies would be banned by Google if their sharp practices are exposed. Some hire pepole to click on Google adverts on their blogs. They also use fake IDs to post several comments on their blogs and they also buy or pay for traffic. You can buy 500, 000 visits to your blog for as little as $200. Nigerian bloggers will make more money when more Nigerian products are advertised online. Presently, Nigerian advertisers prefer TV, print, radio and outdoor adverts.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by tripledub: 1:22am On Oct 23, 2011
@ORIKINLA, True talk! why most nigerians dont make lots of money from Blogging depends on some of these: (1) some are too lazy to write contents after their first 10-15 posts. (2) some dont post regularly i.e on a daily or weekly basis (3) poor search engine optimization (4) not focusing on one niche (5) difficulty in getting a paypal.com account (6) trying to do everything themselves (web design, marketing, SEO, Tracking, etc) rather than outsourcing (7) not having above 20 or more Blogs (cool some dont attend seminars & workshops on Blog related issues and the average nigerian Blogger dont read books. all these put together will make us to ve a sense of belonging when we go BLOGGING.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by felucci(m): 1:47pm On Oct 23, 2011
I guess it's simply because blogging is still relatively new in Africa. Only very few people really do blogging full time her unlike in the USA where people blog for a living. Would you be willing to do blogging for a living? Then I bet you would really be successful at it.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by felucci(m): 2:50pm On Oct 23, 2011
I guess it's simply because blogging is still relatively new in Africa. Only very few people really do blogging full time her unlike in the USA where people blog for a living. Would you be willing to do blogging for a living? Then I bet you would really be successful at it.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 23, 2011
pendo89:

I create blogs out of passion not business. Its not really a nigeian problem cz am not in nigeria.
I even created company group blog consisting of staff from all over to share but men teaching people how to do it after the invite was very stressful.
People don't want to read instructions! They want to click and voila! 
These were my observtns.

1. People look at blogs as social site. You need lots of work if you are into it for biz.
2. People are either too lazy or too busy to blog.I even forget I have a personal blog!
3. Ignorance.Explaining to people how to create topics and post is a headache.Most even after you make them administrators they stil have no clue where to start
4. The DESIGN! most blogs are poorly designed with poor colours. First impressions matter to me.
5. There are so many sites out there.People are into everything and blogging becomes a headache.

@ chipmunkey what was your secret? Was it your target audience,subject or the design?

Sorry for answering late Pendo. grin It's a combination of so many factors but the important one is Passion. I wouldn't consider myself a successful blogger because GidiLinks is not even near my vision for it. However i believe whatever the mind can conceive , hands can achieve.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Chief06: 7:37pm On Oct 24, 2011
Saw this bog, it seems to be doing well, News site ,

http://www.tondan.com

also Linka Ikeji and Bella Naija
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Chief06: 7:45pm On Oct 24, 2011
btw I think not all Bloggers who are Nigerians target Nigeria,
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by pendo89(f): 11:21am On Oct 25, 2011
chipmunkey:

Sorry for answering late Pendo. grin It's a combination of so many factors but the important one is Passion. I wouldn't consider myself a successful blogger because GidiLinks is not even near my vision for it. However i believe whatever the mind can conceive , hands can achieve.
No worries. But that is lovely.I rem one rich dude saying that if your job aint your passion then you will never succeed at it.
Will try revive my passion now.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by rockchic: 12:02am On Oct 27, 2011
As a webmaster, i would say the use of the internet in Naija to visit Naija sites is still limited though growing. I started since 2007 and it was initially rough, but patience has helped, i now have about 6000 visitors daily. Patience and hardwork
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 1:13am On Nov 07, 2011
Only few bloggers in Nigerians make a living from blogging. For me I blog for the fun. If the money comes then fine.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 2:28am On Nov 07, 2011
I have started blogging for fun too. . .
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Afam4eva(m): 3:26am On Nov 07, 2011
DHTML, it's good to know that you've started blogging too. I'm also about to kick of myself. I hope other Nigerian web experts will have blogs where they can share their wealth of Knowledge to the public.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 07, 2011
My blog url is http://mazinoworld..com , started since june 2011
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 1:46am On Nov 08, 2011
afam4eva:

DHTML, it's good to know that you've started blogging too. I'm also about to kick of myself. I hope other Nigerian web experts will have blogs where they can share their wealth of Knowledge to the public.
Thank you. Experts like you should have blogs as well so that we can improve whatever we can in our environment.
Now that i look at it, i feel i should have done this blog thing like several years back - but i have always been busy doing
this and that.
I am enjoying the blogging, and i am still doing all sort of tweaks and twaks to it. The blog is just about 1 week old - http://blog..net/
But it is not looking so sha. It is under active development at the moment. I am developing my entire website as a whole, the blog is part of it.
http://blog..net/tools/ is part of it too - that area is still under construction sha.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by yommysomguy(m): 2:32am On Nov 08, 2011
Dedication is needed for one to be a successful blogger
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Nobody: 11:11pm On Nov 09, 2011
I am not an expert. I am still learning. Everything I have done on my blog is with a mobile phone. For now I can't afford a computer so I do moblogging.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Leadn(m): 12:02pm On Apr 29, 2012
Nice to know you guys have taken blogging serious... we need more "serious" Nigerian bloggers. Checkout www.techinfomania.com where I share the latest in tech trends.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by infopreneurqwin(f): 6:49pm On Apr 30, 2012
Now listen to this,the reason why we have few successful bloggers in Nigeria is that,making money from blogging requires,longterm process,passion and persistent effort. Only few Nigerians are ready to go through all these. Talking about how to earn good money from Google adsense,there are so many secrets behind these, google would never tell you these,when you are entering keywords for your website,there are some high paying keywords that you need to include,you can only discover this when signing up for google adwords. If you include these keywords in your website and try to blog as much as possible around them,google would display ads related to these keywords and when anyone clicks on them,that is good money for you,since google would share the money that individual has paid for that advert with you.if you need a free ebook that clearly exposed these secrets,including how you can get accepted on google adsense,add me up on my fan page at www.facebook.com/internetwealthsecrets and send me your name and email add.i'll send the book to you free of charge.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by akintayo1(m): 11:36pm On Apr 30, 2012
you all are in the rigth direction.one of the problem i see is lack of proper knowledge of how the internet really works by the so called wannabies blogger.there are many blogs out there but i tell you the truth,there are a few bloggers.many taugt the internet is a place were you just plog in and viola money pumps out.they have no primary knowledge of how things work on the internet.they were entice into it by the figure they usually see on the sales pages,not passion.though,our goverment need to play a more vital role in helping us in this country,lack of infractural facilities is another problem.when i was using desk top,i saw hell.some time when am on some thing important before you knew it ligth went off.some times in the middle of download.all this cause set back in internet bussiness.expecially when you don't have a good battery for you'r lap top,haa! to make head way is difficult in this part of the world.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by infopreneurqwin(f): 8:42am On May 01, 2012
that is not even all, the epileptic power supply is enough to discourage someone fron venturing into making money online, not to even talk of making money from blogging. I went through hell when I was writing my first ebook. I almost gave up on the whole idea. I Was consumung almost a thousand five hundred naira fuel on powering my Gen in doing research and stuffs like that. It is really very heartbroken the level of power supply in this country. I guess that is another determininant factor why we do not have successful bloggers.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by yungcheda(m): 6:38pm On Oct 11, 2012
i think the major work is in getting traffic. as a blogger, you should just write about your passions. i love fashion and i love staying healthy that is why i launched www.diamondtalks..com
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by 222Martins(m): 2:56am On Oct 12, 2012
Orikinla: I have been blogging since 2005 and from the income I incorporated it as LLC and from the income I paid for a half page advert in The Guardian newspaper  and from the income I have sponsored a youth community portal for a group. I make regular money from Google Adverts on my 27 blogs network, but I make 100 per cent more from non-Google advertisers. Some pay as much as N250000. My digital media company is launching a pay per view online cinema and got a franchise for startups and now a partner in a global digital cinema chain launching soon in Nigeria. Moreover, my Nigerians Report is accepted by the CNN/MuliChoice African Journalist of the Year Awards. Presently Nigerians Report and Nigerian Times have over 45, 000 in bound links and they are the most popular Nigerian news and information blogs. I am part of the global action on Darfur, the Ecuadorian case against Chevron and other very important cases. Some of the contributing writers and reporters include professors and other experts.  What makes a blogger successful is not the celebrity hype, but the authority in the news media locally and internationally. When a blogger is recognized globally as a change agent, that blogger has made it. Just continue blogging on important matters and not counting how many times visitors click on your Google adverts.   Three of the popular celebrity bloggers mentioned in some replies would be banned by Google if their sharp practices are exposed. Some hire pepole to click on Google adverts on their blogs. They also use fake IDs to post several comments on their blogs and they also buy or pay for traffic. You can buy 500, 000 visits to your blog for as little as $200. Nigerian bloggers will make more money when more Nigerian products are advertised online. Presently, Nigerian advertisers prefer TV, print, radio and outdoor adverts.      

You have said it all. The biggest challenge militating against bloggers in Nigeria is copycatism. The fact that i succeeded in a niche doesn't mean you will. I've taught some people how to blog and make money only for them to come back and compete with me in my niche. Linda Ikeji i know, but please who is Laila Ikeji? Lol.........copycatism
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by yungcheda(m): 3:57pm On Nov 22, 2012
hey guys...to bring about a successful blog, always go for your passion. you can check out www.weheardall.com . I can count that as a success too
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by ibietela2(m): 10:56am On Jan 20, 2013
Its not easy, some of the problem to this matter is
1. No light
2. No good internet
3. Lack of materials.
I am in the health niche and i do well in that area than other niche in blogging. I used my phone and i started with healthwatchtalk.com then later moved to e-healthdiary.com{sold for $400} and now am starting a new one www.healthable.org
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Pins(m): 2:05pm On Jun 12, 2013
THE TRUTH IS AFRICAN BLOGGERS ARE VERY GOOD AT WHAT THEY DO,I AM A BIG TIME INTERNET RESEARCHER I SPEND NOTHING LESS THAN 18HRS PER DAY ON THE INTERNET.AND HAVE READ BOTH AFRICAN AND NON AFRICAN BLOGS AND WITH THIS I CAN TELL YOU THAT AFRICAN BLOGGERS ARE THE BEST THIS IS BECAUSE THEY HAVE WAYS OF EXPLAINING WELL.THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT WE AFRICANS ESPECIALLY NIGERIANS HAVE BEEN SEEN ALL OVER THE NET AS HIGH RISK COUNTRIES AND THAT IS WHY ADSENSE AND MANY OTHER ONLINE EARNING SITES THAT ARE LEGITIMATE ARE SOMEWHAT SKEPTICAL ABOUT ACCEPTING US AND THOSE WHOM HAVE ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED STAND A HIGH RISK OF BEING REMOVED SOON SO I WOULD ADVISE BLOGGERS TO STOP BREAKING THEIR HEAD OVER ADSENSE E.T.C.

1) SELL YOUR EBOOKS ON YOUR BLOG
2) TRY GET TRAFFIC TO YOUR BLOG AND ADVERTISE FOR COMPANIES THAT WANT TO INCREASE SALES ON YOUR BLOG.
3) DO SOME AFFILIATE MARKETING WIT ALL THOSE NON SKEPTICAL COMPANIES ON THE NET.
BUT STILL LEARN SOMETHING LIKE WEB DESIGN GRAPHIC DESIGN OR SOMETHING ELSE OFFLINE AND PROMOTE YOUR SERVICES ON YOUR BLOG AND IF YOU DO THIS YOU WOULD GET SOMETHING OUT OF YOUR BLOG SINCE THEY DON'T WANT US LET US USE WAT WE HAVE TO GET WAT WE WANT.AND NO BLOGGER SHOULD FEEL DOWN THIS IS BECAUSE FOREIGN BLOGGERS EVEN DEVELOP THEIR CONTENT FROM WHAT THEY READ FROM OUR OWN BLOGS SO LET NO ONE FEEL BAD IN ANYWAY.WWW.HOTUTBLOG.COM
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by Pins(m): 2:13pm On Jun 12, 2013
AND ALSO I ADVICE MY AFRICAN BLOGGERS TO BLOG FOR PASSION AND NOT JUST FOR PROFIT.
WWW.HOTUTBLOG.COM
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by tonydoes: 3:49pm On Jul 16, 2013
very instructive thread. i recently found out that i love writing and have a passion for football. its the only thing i can sacrifice my sleep for.. so when i wanted to blog out of interest i pickED my favourite club ARSENAL. i can talk about Arsenal all day, our SQUAD, SUCCESSES , FAILURES, TRANSFER TARGETS ETC. now i blog on http://gidigooner..com/. and even though its new and without much traffic for now, i love it and i hope one day others will too smiley
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by En101: 1:13pm On Jul 24, 2013
Interesting thread. I believe that choosing your niche is very important as well as having the passion to drive the content. Niche based content I feel will keep interested readers coming back. If you're into energy or oil and gas, check out www.energymixreport.com, pretty new but I'm sure it will gain a following in due course.
Re: Why Are There Just A Handful Of Successful Bloggers In Nigeria And Africa by dan8real(m): 9:04pm On Aug 28, 2013
Me too i do for fun currently bloggin for cross river movie awards mine is www.diamondtrut..com but i cant add adsense and amazon

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Web Designers In Nigeria (Contact Details) / Top 5 Online News Blogs In Abuja And Rating / PEER TO PEER,MATRIX,MLM & SPORT Websites Expert In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.