Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,428 members, 7,830,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance (28725 Views)

Army Discovers Burnt Corpses Of Policemen & Cannibalism In ESN Imo Camp / Planting Of Bombs In Southeast: Your Withdrawal After-thought, Group Blasts Umeh / Umeh Kalu: Nigerian Army Planting Bombs In South-East & Blaming IPOB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Timoleon(m): 9:13am On Oct 11, 2023
Slimzjoe:

The bombs exploded throughout the night. How come you and your colleagues where in school ?

It happened on a Sunday. Ikeja cantonment Cdss had to relocate for a while. Not just for a day. The students could no longer school at the barracks during that period. So they were relocated to Anthony village.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by obadisa: 9:13am On Oct 11, 2023
21years already, the then president OBJ spoke carelessly when he came around.

2 Likes

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Timoleon(m): 9:15am On Oct 11, 2023
Slimzjoe:

It started later than that bruv. It didn't start before 9pm news but later than 6pm cos weather was already dark. Which was why people wey entering lagoon and Canals blindly.
Also, I remember I was already asleep as at when it began cheesy

Started around 4pm actually.

4 Likes

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by LilX2: 9:16am On Oct 11, 2023
Nazgul:
I remembered this sad event. It happened on a Sunday evening. I thought the explosion was thunder cos of how deep it was sounding, and told my mom that rain wants to fall. Not until I saw Tinubu (the then governor) on TV with some military officers who spoke Igbo, yourba and hausa. Telling us that it was artillery shells they stored after the civil war that somehow ignited and started exploding.

It was a bloody day. Thousands died at the Amowu odofin carnal. People were jumping into it thinking it's the only way out, only to drown in it.

By morning, the carnal was littered with corpses of women and children. It was a bloody day.

Obsanjo (the the president) visited the site.

It's oke - afa canal and not amuwo Odofin

2 Likes

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by crossbreedwears(m): 9:16am On Oct 11, 2023
Bro, i was in JSS 2 when it happened and i was living hundreds of miles away from the cantonment, but we all felt the effect in our area. That was when i knew War is not a good thing because i imagine a real war back then
BoldBrainz:

I know, right?!

I was in Lagos at the time. That first round of explosions shook the very foundations of our small apartment. Information didn't easily circulate at the time, so first round of public speculations suggested a massive robbery operation.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by daveP(m): 9:18am On Oct 11, 2023
The day i lost the hype for the army as a kid. Got worse when friends and family died that day. Very careless act. Was in church or so when we heard the blasts. Windows vibrating in Ipaja, tables shaking.

They've still not beaten the impression till today. Smh

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by happney65: 9:19am On Oct 11, 2023
psalmson001:

Thank God for social media now.

The rumors that spread in my our area that day was that a planned coup was going on, and the military were about to overthrown Obasanjo

Yes o. Even as far as Ibadan, rumours was they wanted to remove obasanjo because he was on a state visit to Lagos then. grin I think he just left Lagos that day sef

But it was people jumping into the canal thinking it will help them from the bombs that caused much deaths and not actually the bombs. It was a panic situation.

People were even raped in the melee that followed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by LilX2: 9:20am On Oct 11, 2023
Slimzjoe:

It started later than that bruv. It didn't start before 9pm news but later than 6pm cos weather was already dark. Which was why people wey entering lagoon and Canals blindly.

It started exactly 5pm bro!

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by jimmyolasun: 9:21am On Oct 11, 2023
psalmson001:

Thank God for social media now.

The rumors that spread in my our area that day was that a planned coup was going on, and the military were about to overthrown Obasanjo

Naso, naa AIT road we dey stay that time.. naso one fake retired old soldier living next compound begin give us war story on how the blast was a coup and all.. immediately, everywhere scatter.. no phone to call your loved ones or internet then and i could remember there was no light too.. as every blast dey sound the man dey claim they are closer .. I still dey primary 5 or so then.. so all I know be say my mama and the whole community dey plan how we go enter idiroko enter benin republic... Before we later watch am for TV say no be war. later alaroye news paper carry am... Damn!! It's nostalgic
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Nazgul: 9:21am On Oct 11, 2023
LilX2:
It's oke - afa canal and not amuwo Odofin
Oh! My bad.

The names wasn't what I memorized. I just knew it was a carnal.

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by TheSuperX(m): 9:22am On Oct 11, 2023
Nazgul:
I remembered this sad event. It happened on a Sunday evening. I thought the explosion was thunder cos of how deep it was sounding, and told my mom that rain wants to fall. Not until I saw Tinubu (the then governor) on TV with some military officers who spoke Igbo, yourba and hausa. Telling us that it was artillery shells they stored after the civil war that somehow ignited and started exploding.

It was a bloody day. Thousands died at the Amowu odofin carnal. People were jumping into it thinking it's the only way out, only to drown in it.

By morning, the carnal was littered with corpses of women and children. It was a bloody day.

Obsanjo (the the president) visited the site.
It was indeed a very terrible day, I could remember the ground vibrating even though we lived far away from there. 9PM we watched the News and saw that alot of people died because they were scared, dead bodies littering all over the canas and bushes. Omo that's why I frown against war, war no good at all.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by jimmyolasun: 9:23am On Oct 11, 2023
Timoleon:

Started around 4pm actually.

Yea.. I remember say naa evening e start because we all came out to see wetin dey sup as one man dey tell us say naa war and I remember say obj come Lagos that very day too..
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by kolawolemonsuru: 9:26am On Oct 11, 2023
YES U ARE CORRECTED, I WAS LISTENING TO TUPAC MUSIC, I WASN'T SCARED BECAUSE OF TUPAC GANGSTER LYRIC...
It started exactly 5pm bro! [/quote]
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by dominique(f): 9:28am On Oct 11, 2023
Slimzjoe:

You're wrong, he's right. The blasts were between 5-7 in the evening. I don't think it even lasted till 8 at night but the catastrophic damage had already happened by then.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by 2Radii: 9:32am On Oct 11, 2023
illicit:
That year I dey JSS 2

I saw the victims on TV, some drowned inside canal

πŸ€•
was in primary 6, second term

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by kponkedenge(m): 9:33am On Oct 11, 2023
illicit:
That year I dey JSS 2

πŸ€•

Lol. I was in SS1, I could feel the shaking from our house back then at Anthony.

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Timoleon(m): 9:35am On Oct 11, 2023
jimmyolasun:

Yea.. I remember say naa evening e start because we all came out to see wetin dey sup as one man dey tell us say naa war and I remember say obj come Lagos that very day too..

Yeah...it was thought that compost had come for Obj since he was in Lagos at the time.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by worldclass68(m): 9:37am On Oct 11, 2023
Chai...I dey primary 2 then, really sad event.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by b0rn2fuck(m): 9:44am On Oct 11, 2023
FireUpNow:

Which of the secondary school for Anthony village? Aladura abi na Anthony village high school?
we have ajao estate high school in Anthony, aladura and Anthony village high school which is in adebayo mokuolu street . Very close to private school seun kuti attended that's opposite the Antony field . I was in ajao but Tinubu decide to change system them and merge us with Anthony village while later another school was brought in from cantonment aftemat of the bomb last, we were newly merge then and we had about 3 different school in one building,3 different uniform, the film long ooo nah person wey dey inside that system go relate
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by slimmoney(m): 9:45am On Oct 11, 2023
The whole of Lagos felt the impact on that black Sunday, see dead bodies inside canals not because of shrapnel but panic.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by FireUpNow(m): 9:47am On Oct 11, 2023
b0rn2fuck:
we have ajao estate high school in Anthony, aladura and Anthony village high school which is in adebayo mokuolu street . Very close to private school seun kuti attended that's opposite the Antony field . I was in ajao but Tinubu decide to change system them and merge us with Anthony village while later another school was brought in from cantonment aftemat of the bomb last, we were newly merge then and we had about 3 different school in one building,3 different uniform, the film long ooo nah person wey dey inside that system go relate
I attended Aladura Comprehensive school.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Akanoaaa(m): 9:56am On Oct 11, 2023
Tobilani:
Bomb in Ikeja.
That sounds like a joke at first sight
Small pikin
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by ellizy(m): 9:57am On Oct 11, 2023
illicit:
That year I dey JSS 2

πŸ€•
You should be 30years by now
Hope you're married?
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by omoadeleye(m): 9:57am On Oct 11, 2023
Aah, abi oloribuku ni iya yin..

Una dey move explosion from Lagos to Ogun.

Abi ori yi buru ni?
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by ambale(m): 9:57am On Oct 11, 2023
Beremx:
What an unforgettable experience. That day was on a Sunday. The bomb explosion was felt at Festac Town all the way from Ikeja. I remember our windows vibrated and almost shattered. RIP to those who lost their lives at Oke-Afa canal

One of the worst memories in the history of Nigeria... We practically experienced the world coming to an endπŸ€”

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by dododawa1: 10:00am On Oct 11, 2023
RIP to d death one's

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by ambale(m): 10:00am On Oct 11, 2023
A sad day for the nation then, some persons insinuated that the bombs were targeted at then president Obasanjo

Make dem quickly evacuate am ooo cos the thought of what happened that day still dey haunt some persons till today

Such should not and must not reoccur
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by CaptainFM1: 10:02am On Oct 11, 2023
Tobilani:
Bomb in Ikeja.

That sounds like a joke at first sight

If you're under 21years of age, you probably may not know about the "Ikeja bomb blast".
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by scanado(m): 10:02am On Oct 11, 2023
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by dododawa1: 10:02am On Oct 11, 2023
2Radii:
was in primary 6, second term
I was in SSS 3

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by dododawa1: 10:03am On Oct 11, 2023
kponkedenge:

Lol. I was in SS1, I could feel the shaking from our house back then at Anthony.
SSS 3 then

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Osinbajo Worships At MFM Church, Abuja (photos) / Why I Revealed How Much We Earn As Senators – Shehu Sani / IGP Idris & Dambazau Arrive Plateau Over Killings (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.