Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,421 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs (18342 Views)

Peter Obi Defends Purchase Of ₦‎160 Million SUV For LP Lawmakers / Science Ministry Settled N2m Debt With N17m Vehicles – Senate / Senate Defends N125b Budget For National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by dre11(m): 7:55pm On Oct 24, 2023
The Senate has justified the purchase of 2023 model of the Toyota Landcruiser for members at the contract price of about N160 million each.

This is in addition to the bullet proof vehicles being purchased for Senate President Godswill Akpabio and his deputy, Barau Jibrin.

The move had generated heavy criticism, with some Nigerians lampooning the parliamentarians for being insensitive to the plight of Nigerians amid high cost of living.

The Human Rights Writers Association (HURIWA) said procuring SUVs for federal lawmakers was provocative at a time that most families can barely feed their members three square meals per day, and hospitals and roads are collapsing rapidly across the country.

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) asked the Federal High Court in Lagos to stop the National Assembly from procuring and taking delivery of exotic and bulletproof cars for members and principal officials pending the hearing and determination of the applications for injunction filed by the organization.

But the Red Chamber defended the purchase of the SUVs, saying lawmakers needed the vehicles for their operations.

Briefing reporters at the National Assembly, Abuja, the chairman, Committee on Senate services, Sunday Karimi (APC, Kogi) said the criticism was uncalled for as members of the other arms of government use similar vehicles.

He urged critics to beam their search light on ministers and members of state assemblies.

He said, “A minister has more than three land cruisers, Prado and other vehicles and you are not asking them questions, why us? The issue of buying vehicles for National Assembly members, you know it is a reoccurring issue. It occurs every assembly, it will always come up.

If you got to state houses of assembly today, check out, most of them before they were even inaugurated, the governor would have bought vehicles for them even local government chairmen. I drove the vehicle my local government chairman uses. So, why National Assembly?

These vehicles that you see, go to Nigerian roads today, If I go home once, my senatorial district, I come back spending a lot on my vehicles because our roads are bad.”

Karimi said the Senate settled for Toyota Landcruiser against a local product after a comparative of analysis of cost, technical issues and durability of Nigeria roads.

“We want something that we can maintain for another four years. It is not the decisions of the senators alone, we did an analysis before arriving at Land cruiser,” he said.

On the issue of cost, Karimi said, “When I came to the Senate, when they gave me their liability. They have a liability of over N16 billion that is made up of different thing including vehicles purchased for members of 7th, 8th and 9th assemblies.

“If you are a businessman and you supply vehicles for somebody in 2014 or 2015 or so and up till now they are owing you. I am not trying to defend anybody.

“If a Landcruiser in the market let say it is A cost, you don’t expect somebody that will supply it to supply it at the price they are selling it in the market.

“It has to leave a margin and the civil service rule for supply allows for 25% margin, plus 7.5% VAT. Out of that 25% margin, they will still remove 5% tax from it.

“You are telling someone to supply when the clients may even end up not making payment for three years and you want him to supply at the price they are selling in the market, it is not possible.”

https://dailytrust.com/lg-chairmen-use-good-vehicles-senate-defends-purchase-of-n160m-suvs/

1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by DonJulio: 7:57pm On Oct 24, 2023
Abeg buy them 1 mansion join jare....Best Government In the world!!!

grin grin grin

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by soberdrunk(m): 7:57pm On Oct 24, 2023
Even if it was "justifiable" the timing is so so so very very wrong!!! How do you explain to the average Nigerian that is struggling to eat that a government official is buying #160 million naira car? Hooooooooowwwww? angry angry

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Goodvibes007: 7:58pm On Oct 24, 2023
Waiting for LP senators and HOR members to reject the vehicles.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Nbote(m): 8:01pm On Oct 24, 2023
I think they should also purchase 1 plane each. The Nigerian Govt are the biggest hypocrites ever in the history of hypocrisy. They Blane Nigerians for importing everything while the govt itself imports vehicles and Petroleum products despite our rich oil resources. They blame young people for japaing but all own houses abroad and have kids schooling abroad. They want the masses to make sacrifices little did we know we are the sacrifices

108 Likes 6 Shares

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by OlujobaSamuel: 8:01pm On Oct 24, 2023
Lol, the vehicle is not the issue for me in this report, nor the cost, but the defence that the vehicle supplier could add 25% margin to the open market cost of the vehicle, I thought a bulk purchase would attract a discount which will make the buyer (NASS) pay lesser than the open market value

37 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Moneyyyy09: 8:09pm On Oct 24, 2023
What annoy me most is nah every legislative period dem dey buy vehicles

27 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by LeoDeKing: 8:12pm On Oct 24, 2023
Goodvibes007:
Me too.

20 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Slimcey(f): 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2023
May God help us in this country

7 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Adedayoaded: 8:32pm On Oct 24, 2023
Lol... Unnecessary spending dey kill us for this country

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by BoboNogoDie: 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2023
grin

SHAMELESS OLD FOOLS

WICKED GENERATION.

THE MAJOR PROBLEM OF THIS COUNTRY IS THE OLD GENERATION.

These people 60-85 are very GREEDY and wicked.

IT'S THEIR GENERATION THAT DESTROYED THIS COUNTRY AND THEY ARE STILL DOING IT.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by TripleTTT3: 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2023
Good
Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by maxiuc(m): 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2023
grin

If jimoh Ibrahim ifeanyi Uba and ned nwoko will join politics you should know that it is very lucrative

Dem dey kill themselves to serve

11 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by damble: 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2023
How I wish we nigerians can be united to fight those elements (legislators). Is either it is scrapped out or it is made part time thing

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by GoodRocks: 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2023
Which one did they gave Seunmsg and Leodeking?

The both 🤡 are waiting for news concerning Obi and Igbos to vent their frustrations, whether Nigeria burn down to ashes them no send.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by creativehubb: 8:33pm On Oct 24, 2023
House of representatives members are supposed to represent the people in government.
Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by BigYash: 8:34pm On Oct 24, 2023
Them send mandate standers before.. cheesy If una like,make una put the country for Amazon ,put for sale grin

2 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Mummyimbecile(m): 8:34pm On Oct 24, 2023
I think they deserve it!
Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Rayjnr: 8:34pm On Oct 24, 2023
We love suffering as a people, always gathering at campaign ground to listen to their lies, then complain later .

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Authoreety: 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2023
That money doesn't mean anything to that crop of people...

But this is daylight robbery... 160million for a car when ordinary 3milion can change a constituents life..

I think I hate Nigerias crop of leaders

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by LeeSantos(m): 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2023
These vehicles that you see, go to Nigerian roads today, If I go home once, my senatorial district, I come back spending a lot on my vehicles because our roads are bad.”

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Racoon(m): 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2023
God will surely punish all of you including the Labour Party senators. The heartlessness of the present crop of senators, judiciary and executive is painful.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by mrprince01(m): 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2023
Nigerian politicians are the same. APC, PDP, SDP,LP, they are the same.

LP senators aka the saints fc, if you want to do the right thing, here's a piece of an advice:

You can decide to sell the N160m car given to you, buy Nigerian made cars and bring the balance to your constituencies to better the lives of those that sent you there, or simple show defiance to the general decision of buying the Land Cruisers .

2 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by joseph1832(m): 8:36pm On Oct 24, 2023
Hian. All in all, a civil servant has to go on strike via Nigeria Labor Congress to get salary increase, while LG chairmen along with other politicians live large. Na wa oh.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Brushstrokes20: 8:36pm On Oct 24, 2023
Dammmmmmmmnnnn it!
Just imagine the dumb as Fvck defence..! undecided

The shyyythole is cursed with useless bunch of self serving THIEVES masquerading as leaders!

# shameless legisLOOTERS!

Awon ole, jegudu jera gbogbo! undecided
Only a red revolt or bloodthirsty Khaki boys can checkmate these vagabonds in power!

A STITCH IN TIME SAVES NINE ⌚

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Brandchoice: 8:36pm On Oct 24, 2023

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by EmekaMD(m): 8:36pm On Oct 24, 2023
Nigeria is a shame.
No government. what we have and have always had are a group of criminals who ganged up and hijacked our collective wealth for the good of themselves and their families.

I was taught in primary school that the basic job of a government is the provision of social amenities. Basically water, roads, security, electricity. These are just the basic things white men's governments provided in 1600 and 1700's.

Nigeria is the worst country on earth. You'll never understand this if you lived all your life in Nigeria.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by phemmie06(m): 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2023
See why we can't move forward as a nation

9 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Apus: 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2023
Hear the idiot.

They'd rather use N57.6 billion or more to buy land cruisers every four years than fix the roads. Orisirisi, Senators sef dey complain of bad roads & the solution to that is to buy land cruisers.

Couldn't they have gone for something less yet efficient considering the state of the economy right now?

Selfish bastards!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by theophorus(m): 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2023
No problem, make una Sha continue to do a as una like.

Sha, make una no complain if the next set of NASS guys decide say na SUV of 400M dem wan buy.

Make everybody Sha remember their 6feets.

2 Likes

Re: ‘LG Chairmen Use Good Vehicles’, Senate Defends Purchase Of N160m Suvs by Funkyswagzz(m): 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2023
Goodvibes007:

Don't act as if less than 10 senators can fight over 300 senators. If they reject it what next?

You are not even concern the amount of money spent.

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Adeleke Will Get His Mandate Back, Davido Insists / Pastor Reuben Launches Tinubu Group In Cross River State (Photos) / #PrayForNigeria Trends On Twitter After "Mysterious Snake Swallowed N36m In JAMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.