Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,486 members, 7,836,896 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner (5178 Views)

Peter Obi Visits IDP Camps In Bokkos & Barkin-ladi LGAs, donates N5 Million / Governor Abba Yusuf Says Commissioner Nominees Must Declare Their Assets / Borno Bans Distribution Of Food To IDPs, To Close All IDP Camps In The State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by TajuDEENaMao: 7:39am On Oct 25, 2023
The Ogun State Commissioner for Environment, Ola Oresanya, has said efforts are in place to set up Internally Displaced Persons camps in collaboration with some religious institutions across the state to cushion the effects of flooding caused by the opening of the Oyan Dam.

Oresanya made this known in a telephone conversation with PUNCH Metro on Tuesday.

According to him, there were ongoing talks with religious institutions in the affected areas to accommodate those displaced by the flood.

He said, “We are making arrangements with religious institutions across the state to set up camps to accommodate those affected by flood. Some of the religious institutions we are in talk with have agreed to host the IDP camps but they don’t want their names disclosed.”

When asked about the location of the IDP camps operated by the state government, he replied, “No, we do not have any camp set up by the government yet.”

Our correspondent visited the Mountain of Fire and Miracle Ministries, Deeper Christian Life Ministry and Redeemed Christian Church of God camp grounds along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway but could not establish that flood victims were already being taken in.

Security officials at the Deeper Life and the RCCG camp grounds said they were not aware of any arrangement to accommodate flood victims, while the Head of Security at the MFM who did not give his name refused to comment on the matter.

But when contacted, the Head, Media and Publicity of RCCG, Olaitan Olubiyi, said he was not aware of any arrangement with the state government to accommodate those affected by flood.

He said, “I may have to find out the details from the camp management. I will get back to you when I find out.”

He was yet to get back to our correspondent as of the time of filing this report.

Our correspondent who visited the affected areas on Monday saw that the water almost levelled up the long bridge along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.

Residents who live in estates like Isheri Riverview, and other residential surroundings in Warewa to the OPIC area were mostly affected.

It was gathered that the dam, managed by the Ogun-Oshun River Basin Development Authority, and located at Abeokuta North Local Government Area of the state, released excess water this month.

PUNCH Metro reported that the state governor, Dapo Abiodun, on Monday declared a state of emergency in the flooded area as he assured residents of quick intervention.

“We will prioritise the works here because I am touched with what I have seen. I will ensure that we immediately begin to see signs of relief as we step this up. The Minister of State for Environment is already aware. The Vice President is already aware and also the President. It will be dealt with as an emergency and we are taking it as such.

“As an emergency, I will like to take it up myself. Please, continue to bear with us as we are going to conduct a comprehensive assessment of what we need to do to make this place conducive for living,” Abiodun said.

Addressing residents of Riverview Estate, the governor said he had requested an area survey of the estate to identify critical areas that needed immediate intervention.

He assured the people that the intervention would come through the construction of an elevated road with adequate drainage to mitigate their suffering.
https://punchng.com/flood-ogun-working-on-idp-camps-says-commissioner/?amp

1 Share

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by BOSSkesh(m): 7:40am On Oct 25, 2023
Very soon we’ll get there
Bat is working
His policies are yielding results

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Treasure17(m): 7:54am On Oct 25, 2023
BOSSkesh:
Bat is working
Which results?

9 Likes

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by tobtap: 8:16am On Oct 25, 2023
Nawa ooo
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by accordadoga29(f): 8:17am On Oct 25, 2023
BOSSkesh:
Bat is working

Hehehehe

Every first-class citizen knows he is working.

God bless every patriotic Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Enemiesmasquera: 8:17am On Oct 25, 2023
BOSSkesh:
Bat is working
This nonsense will not fix Nigeria. Just dey play

7 Likes

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by oluseyiforjesus(m): 8:17am On Oct 25, 2023
Ok k
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by phemmie06(m): 8:18am On Oct 25, 2023
It is better to go to Borno IDP camp than Ogun, because Ogun can only afford 5kg bag of grains for more than 500 people. He will frustrate life out of your life

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by crossfm: 8:18am On Oct 25, 2023
Pls let people take the flood warning serious.

The way flood destroy things is not a joke.

My only problem is the government,they keep on telling the poor to bear with them, while the continue looting.

Mr governor,pls do the needful.
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Mrtaye: 8:19am On Oct 25, 2023
This ogun state government wetin dem Sabi do sef

4 Likes

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Shijawesss: 8:20am On Oct 25, 2023
God bless Southsouth and Southwest...
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by phemmie06(m): 8:20am On Oct 25, 2023
Frustrate living out of life

Mrtaye:
This ogun state government wetin dem Sabi do sef
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Ezmans: 8:22am On Oct 25, 2023
Treasure17:

Which results?
oga bat is flying animal that flyies in the night
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by RajahBaltazar: 8:22am On Oct 25, 2023
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by wittywriter: 8:22am On Oct 25, 2023
If you live in such places kindly have a relocation planB.

Wittyness.
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by marlow1962(m): 8:22am On Oct 25, 2023
Ok
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Ekejoestar(m): 8:25am On Oct 25, 2023
It's better to stay in your hometown as an IDP than to be an IDP in Benin Republic.
After collecting wotowoto from Fulani herdsmen, flooding wan ravage dem again
But Fulani people wicked oooo grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by OBIDIENTNAIJA: 8:26am On Oct 25, 2023
What da fvck! You mean the IGR generated from skull mining couldn't develop the state to world standard? All those skullers are useless.

The should be stripped of their badges and made to account for the money generated from skull mining.
What nonsense 😡😡

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Lanre1st(m): 8:28am On Oct 25, 2023
I don’t think all these politicians has a developmental Idea than embezzlement plan. Why can’t govt take care of how the Dam will not affect the community in future instead of creating IDP. Is IDP a good place to live but they want to embezzle through IDP like Northerner state.
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by lonelydora: 8:34am On Oct 25, 2023
Reactive government
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Eagle360(m): 8:37am On Oct 25, 2023
tongue it

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Mrtaye: 8:40am On Oct 25, 2023
phemmie06:
Frustrate living out of life

As an indigene of Ogun state I'm very ashamed.... you need to go to Mowe Ofada road you will be ashamed and to even think the road was commissioned few months ago is scandalous and dubious
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Mo6M: 8:41am On Oct 25, 2023
BTC27i:
THIS GUY IS A FRADSTER... HE DEFRAUDED ME OF MY HAR EARNED MONEY... SEE PROOFS. i CAN SHARE MORE

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Chetas81(m): 8:45am On Oct 25, 2023
Enemiesmasquera:
This nonsense will not fix Nigeria. Just dey play
80% OF NIGERIA CITIZEN ARE PLAYERS, THAT IS WHY OUR COUNTRY REMAIN SHALLOW
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Treasure17(m): 8:49am On Oct 25, 2023
Ezmans:
oga bat is flying animal that flyies in the night
Better be referring to the one that fly at night.
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by Ybholy(m): 8:51am On Oct 25, 2023
Mo6M:

THIS GUY IS A FRADSTER... HE DEFRAUDED ME OF MY HAR EARNED MONEY... SEE PROOFS. i CAN SHARE MORE

Y u contact him? U believe you can mine real btc on phone? 😂
Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by wunmi590(m): 8:53am On Oct 25, 2023

As longbas Dapo abiodun is the governor of that state, I'm not expecting any positive news there, he's just an opportunist...

No wonder PBAT called him eleyi and he couldn't even contest it, he's still being a puppet around...

Ogun state has been on stand still since he became a governor...

If he has continued from where Amosun stopped and also add his own, that state would have been 30-40% getting close to Lagos

2 Likes

Re: Flood: Ogun Working On IDP Camps, Says Commissioner by PHIPEX(m): 9:05am On Oct 25, 2023
Setting up IDP camp after how many weeks? The flood will start receding soon, the damage has already been done yet the Govt is still planning to setup .

Were you not the one that released the water from the DAM, did you not know it will damage houses and property? why is is it taking ages to come to the aid of those affected??

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Jonathan Reduces Independence Anniversary Budget to N6.6bn / Igbos Claim to be Oyo State indigenes / Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.