Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List (10776 Views)

Chevening Scholarship Removes Diezani From Honours List / Queen Of England Honours Nigerians In Her Honours List Of 2015 / Full List Of Nigeria National Honours Award Recipients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Babasessy(m): 1:25am On Oct 28, 2011
Dangote, Jacobs, Genevieve, Yobo, Osita Iheme, 359 others make national honours lists
On October 28, 2011 · In News

By Emmanuel Aziken, Political Editor and Benjamin Njoku
LAGOS — President Goodluck Jonathan has listed 364 Nigerians to receive the 2011 national honours. Business mogul Alhaji Aliko Dangote who topped the list with the award of Grand Commander of the Order of the Niger, GCON becomes the first individual outside government to receive the nation’s second highest national honour.

The GCON has mostly been awarded to Vice-Presidents, Chief Justices of the country and Senate Presidents.

Dangote is ahead of Speaker Aminu Tambuwal who is getting a CFR, Commander of the Federal Republic alongside the Attorney General of the Federation, Mohammed Adoke and a number of military and security chiefs. The newly appointed Head of Service of the Federation, Alhaji Isa Sali, former First Lady Mrs. Victoria Gowon and a handful of former military chiefs were also recognized by the President for the CFR award.

Ginevive Nnaji, Osita Iheme, Mariam Usman, Olu Jacobs, Kanayo O Kanayo, Aliko Dangote and Joseph Yobo

A handful of serving and former members of the National Assembly including the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Chief Emeka Ihedioha, former Senator Joy Emodi, Senator Smart Adeyemi, Senator James Manager, Senator Uche Chukwumerije and Senator Udoma Udo Udoma were all recognized with the Commander of the Order of the Niger, CON.

Also a handful of serving ministers including Olusegun Aganga, Emeka Wogu, Godsday Orubebe, Diezani Allison Madueke and Dr. Usman Shamsudeen were also honoured with CON. Mr. Jim Ovia and Mr. Atedo Peterside two bankers were also honoured with the CONSTITUTION.

Nigeria’s first female vice-chancellor, Prof. Grace Alele-Williams is honoured with an Officer of the Federal Republic, OFR alongside a number of Chief Justices of the states including the erstwhile Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr. Babangida Nguroje who resigned that position at the peak of the crisis in the House in 2007.

Nigeria’s football captain, Joseph Yobo, 1984 bronze medalist Peter Konyegachi and Commonwealth medalist Mariam Usman are also honoured with the Member of the Order of the Niger, MON.

Nollywood artistes were also honoured. Among them are Ginevive Nnaji, Stephanie Okereke, Olu Jacobs and Kanayo O Kanayo who are receiving the Member of the Federal Republic, MFR award.

Mr. Osita Iheme popularly known as Pawpaw of the Aki and Pawpaw fame is also honoured with MFR. Chinedu Ikedieze known as Aki was honoured last year.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/10/dangote-jacobs-genevieve-yobo-osita-iheme-359-others-make-national-honours-lists/

Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by aljharem3: 1:28am On Oct 28, 2011
lol. SMH
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by arsenefc: 1:43am On Oct 28, 2011
So what happens to Seun Osewa, Steve Jobs, Obama etc
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by aljharem3: 1:48am On Oct 28, 2011
arsenefc:

LOL grin grin grin grin fstranger o. grin grin grin grin

my sentiment too
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by OAM4J: 3:00pm On Oct 28, 2011
arsenefc:

Na turn by turn, soon come to his turn.

@Topic

Am not surprise at the list.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 28, 2011
Dangote has become so powerful to earn a GCON.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Afam4eva(m): 6:58pm On Oct 28, 2011
It's good to know that Osita Iheme(Paw paw) is finally receiving this award after his movie twin Chinedu Ikedieze recieved his few years back.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Nobody: 10:24pm On Oct 28, 2011
Cheiiiiiiiiiiiiiii, what a catastrophic blunder, Look at the people that are now given National Honours, people who have contributed nothing to the country, I guess if the Likes of Senator Uche Chukwumerije and Senator James Manager are given the CON award, then Abdulmutallab should be honoured with the GCON rank alongside Dangote.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Rgp92: 11:35pm On Oct 28, 2011
What have they done to improve nigeria, other than make stvpid movies that make people who watch it dumber ?  undecided
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by kasiem(m): 1:50am On Oct 29, 2011
What about ralph uwazuruike?
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by mensdept: 1:54am On Oct 29, 2011
Everything that is meaningful in other countries is a mockry in Nigeria. See American "Senators" and Naija "Senators", see Japanese "Movie" and see Naija "movie", see British "actor" and Naija "actor", see National Awards in Holland and Nigerian National award "receivers". See Canadian state "capitals" and "highways" and see those for Naija.

Backwards
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 29, 2011
Niaja has become a joke. I no fit shout !!

Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by ugosly(m): 11:42am On Oct 29, 2011
Some of the names on the list are not bad though.
while some are not deservin of the honour class or category they are to recieve,some others are not supposd 2 smell it from 20 miles away.e.g Dangote even though he has contributed immensely(though in a wuru wuru,monopolistic FG aided advantage way) to the economy of Nigeria,I think the GCON thingy is way too grand for a favourd industrialist(capitalist)who does not pay tax and import duties as stipulated by the law.
,in short I culd go on and on,almost evry name on that list and there category get K leg and we all know it.
Sombody's just got to recieve those honours u know,thus the 'cut and join' list.
Lets just sit back relax and enjoy their theatrics.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by stagger: 11:52am On Oct 29, 2011
Why is Peter Konyegwachie, the man who won Nigeria's first Olympic Silver medal, being given only an MON?

This guy put Nigeria on the Olympic map, and anyone who watched his final boxing bout with Meldrick Taylor in the 1984 Olympics will clearly see he was robbed in that match; a victim of the conspiracy to ensure that the US which was hosting the games would win the most medals.

He should get much higher than an MON. Much much higher.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by adebayosun02: 12:14pm On Oct 29, 2011
what is NIGERIA becoming of, especially this administration of goodluck jonathan. the national honour list shows that this country ( nigeria) is only for top top people, in my own view, the president is using our resources to settle Dz already rich pple, friends among others just as he did with the ministerial list.
It is a pity, the South South are using there slot unwisely who knows when this kind of opportunity Will present itself to them again.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by zeennurei(m): 12:31pm On Oct 29, 2011
This is bulshit. Honestly we need to pray for our naija.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by maxygirl(f): 12:32pm On Oct 29, 2011
i want too.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by highland(m): 1:03pm On Oct 29, 2011
This National honour has turned to be a compensation certificate and not based on performance.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by 1Dray(m): 1:57pm On Oct 29, 2011
Naija seems sick not ill. . .
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by sholasys: 4:31pm On Oct 29, 2011
I dont know what is wrong with this our leaders, The national honour have no quality value any longer. OBJ started it and GEJ has reduced it to a roll-call. By the next one Ibu, Jenifa or one disgruntle element will be listed. I have a professors, teachers  over 28 yrs teaching/lecturing nobody see them except this mediocre. God Revive us
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by ElmA1(f): 4:52pm On Oct 29, 2011
grin grin angry
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by texazzpete(m): 5:50pm On Oct 29, 2011
What kind of country do we live in when Aki and Pawpaw will get national awards ahead of Professors of over 28 yrs?
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Nobody: 5:54pm On Oct 29, 2011
texazzpete:

What kind of country do we live in when Aki and Pawpaw will get national awards ahead of Professors of over 28 yrs?
Why are you surprised ? Nollywood artists supported jonathan during his presidential campaign so they deserve to get rewarded in cash and kind.Btw,is baba suwe not eligible for the award ?
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Afam4eva(m): 6:06pm On Oct 29, 2011
texazzpete:

In as much as i believe that those professors have contributed their own quota to the development of Nigeria, i don't think they've made a difference like Aki and Paw paw. Those actors have sold Nigeria to the rest of the world who watch their movies. Because someone is a professor doesn't mean he's better than someone who's not in the educational sector. Every sector is important.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Rossikk(m): 6:20pm On Oct 29, 2011
WHAT THE FUUK HAS STEPHANIE OKEREKE DONE TO DESERVE A NATIONAL AWARD?

What? Did she outspeak everyone else on the set with her fake American  accent?

RIDICULOUS.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Afam4eva(m): 6:23pm On Oct 29, 2011
Rossikk:

WHAT THE FUUK HAS STEPHANIE OKEREKE DONE TO DESERVE A NATIONAL AWARD?

What? Did she outspeak everyone else on the set with her fake American  accent?

RIDICULOUS.

At least you know who she is. Maybe that's why she's getting an award.

How about you. What's your name?
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Rossikk(m): 6:24pm On Oct 29, 2011
^^Since when did POPULARITY qualify anyone for a National Merit Award?

You must be really ignorant.  shocked
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Afam4eva(m): 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2011
Rossikk:

^^Since when did POPULARITY qualify anyone for a National Merit Award?

You must be really ignorant.  shocked

You're the one who's ignorant here. What's she popular for? Is it Drugs, Armed robbery or Aristocrasy? As long as she became popular doing something positive then she deserves a spot.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 29, 2011
afam4eva:

At least you know who she is. Maybe that's why she's getting an award.

How about you. What's your name?
Abeg you can't rule out nepotism in issues like this only if you don't understand how Nigeria system works.I won't be surprise if beaf gets a national honor for a job welldone on nL.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Afam4eva(m): 6:36pm On Oct 29, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Abeg you can't rule out nepotism in issues like this only if you don't understand how Nigeria system works.I won't be surprise if beaf gets a national honor for a job welldone on nL.

Yes, no one can rule out nepotism but tell me where you don't find nepotism. It's not only peculiar to the National merit list. We can't complain because the people that were chosen have equally done well for the country.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Rossikk(m): 6:37pm On Oct 29, 2011
afam4ever said

You're the one who's ignorant here. What's she popular for? Is it Drugs, Armed robbery or Aristocrasy? As long as she became popular doing something positive then she deserves a spot.

How is speaking in a clearly fake American accent positive?

I think giving her a national award sends the wrong message to our children, ie the less Nigerian and more white you sound, the more highly valued you are in Nigeria.

Genevieve certainly deserves it, as she is REAL.
Re: Dangote,Genevieve & Others Make 2011 National Honours List by Afam4eva(m): 6:39pm On Oct 29, 2011
Rossikk:

afam4ever said

How is speaking in a clearly fake American accent positive?

I think giving her a national award sends the wrong message to our children, ie the less Nigerian and more white you sound, the more highly valued you are in Nigeria.

So, now it's about the accent and not about her being an actress? I dey laff. The award is not about people who have Igbo or any Nigerian accent. it's about what you've contributed irrespective of your accent. I still dey laff.

(1) (2) (Reply)

AU Endorses Ishhaq Bello For ICC / Remove N887bn Inserted Projects From 2022 Budget - Buhari To National Assembly / Nigeria Has Lost Igbos Forever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.