Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,161 members, 7,811,354 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:00 AM

Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? (47330 Views)

HID Awolowo Was Buried Beside Her Husband, Chief Obafemi Awolowo In Ikene (Pics) / Oba Sijuwade And Chief Obafemi Awolowo (Throwback Photo) / Chief Obafemi Awolowo And His Family On Their Way To India In 1952(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by KnowAll(m): 12:44pm On Dec 09, 2008
Just check out Uni Ife now OAU, as Iam talking there is no campus as beautiful as that in Nigeria, this an edifice built in the early 60's
Awo was truely a visonary
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Muza(m): 1:27pm On Dec 09, 2008
KnowAll:

Just check out Uni Ife now OAU, as Iam talking there is no campus as beautiful as that in Nigeria, this an edifice built in the early 60's
Awo was truely a visonary

U obviously have not seen ABU Zaria before
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by maxsiollun: 10:23pm On Dec 09, 2008
Awo is one of the most controversial characters in Nigerian history. Doubtless he was a man of great intellect and tenacity.

However the political intrigues involving him (clash with Akintola, treason trial, battle with the federal government, state of emergency in Western Region) indirectly served as the catalyst for Nigeria's first military coup in 1966. Recall that the radical young Majors stated that they struck in order to release Awolowo from prison and install him as leader to replace the Balewa led federal government.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by osisi4: 10:44pm On Dec 09, 2008
His vision to starve Igbo children to death in war failed woefully.
The Igbo man has waxed stronger and stronger and he's been dead and buried and I've never as much as heard of a descendant of his.
Every evil man has his day with the cold hands of death
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by osisi4: 10:57pm On Dec 09, 2008
Perhaps, no other Nigerian has been perceived by Ndigbo to be personally responsible for crafting the policies that compounded the misery of ex-Biafrans as the Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo. Serving his jail term for treason at the Calabar Prison by time the Civil War was imminent, Awolowo was set free by General Ojukwu with an understanding that the Yoruba leader was bent on using the opportunity of ongoing national crisis to pull his people out of the Nigerian federation and declare the Oduduwa Republic in the West.

But the master tactician had something else in mind as he paid lip service to an accord with Biafran leadership before his release from jail. As soon as he made it safely out of Biafra, he pitched his tent with General Gowon who rewarded him with appointment to the highest civilian post in the military junta in Lagos. Awolowo also was the Minister of Finance where he had full rein on the nati onal coffers.

His elevated position instantaneously made tens of thousands of Yoruba recruits to join the Nigerian armed forces. The command structure and bulk of foot soldiers that spearheaded the maritime invasion from the southern front were mostly Yorubas. As the Yoruba chieftain acquired more control of the federal bureaucracy, he became more aggressive and vocal in defense of federal war policies in Biafra, which included deprivation of food and medical supplies to the civilian victims of the Civil War. He was reported to have told foreign media correspondents, who expressed global outrage at the level of misery inside Biafra, that starvation was a legitimate instrument of warfare.

It was the post-war policies of Awolowo-led Ministry of Finance that inflicted the most lasting pain on those who managed to survive his starvation policy. The Biafran currency, which was the only legal tender of the survivors of the Biafran siege, was overnight declared worthless and everyone with a bank account was issued a measly N40 (40 cents US), in lieu of their deposit, to start life anew on their own. A few years afterwards, the same Ministry embarked on the process of selling off foreign-owned businesses to Nigerians who were able to pay. In that indigenization process, penury did not allow Ndigbo to participate as the collective wealth of Nigeria was handed out only to those who had the cash in hand. It could be said that Chief Awolowo was not only a proven bedfellow of the Nigerian military establishment, but he also sanctioned the tacit gang-up by the North and West to use authoritarian military rule to keep Ndigbo marginalized for the next 30 years.

Anyone who moans the state of Nigeria and northern domination ought to blame it solely on Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
He failed Southern Nigerians as a whole.
He had a golden opportunity to say a final goodbye to that contraption called Nigeria but he failed.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by okunoba(m): 6:00am On Dec 10, 2008
don`t blame others for your actions, take responsibility for what u do. Awo did not attack Ore, he never forced anybody to go to war. He had all the right in the world to choose. Ojuwju did not go to war because Awolowo promised to back him up, he fought because he refused to take orders from Gawon whom he saw as below him . Where would Awo have gotten the means from, he was not in control of any army. If he said what Ojuwju wanted to hear to get out of prison, y is that bad. Would u not have done the same thing until y are free to speak freely. Use your head, he was only a politician not a soldier. Any sane man would say anything to get out of prison it`s called survival instinct. Self preservation.

1 Like

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by okunoba(m): 6:05am On Dec 10, 2008
l love humanity regardless of race color or ethnicity. Be fair and objective. Lets be ruled by reason not emotions
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by okunoba(m): 6:05am On Dec 10, 2008
So sad to see people with so much hate, bias and prejudice attack other people of doing the same especially when they have no prove to back it up.  First non of u guys have said anything about the killing of Northern leaders by Ibo army officers and the consequent celebration of Ibo`s living in the North and the in action of the Ibo man that took over realm of government, to brink is fellow kins men to book. when it is quite obvious they have committed murder. Which the only punishment is death according to the law of the land. Was it right to kill these people and for Ironsi not to brink them to book? If that had happened to Ibo`s would they just have accepted it as the will of god.

I will ask again, will Ndibgo have been happy and done nothing if an Ibo man was elected to rule Nigeria and he was killed with the rest of the most prominent Ibo leaders of the day by Hausa army officers  then Hausa`s living in the East go out celebrating the massacre and to add insult to injury an Hausa man takes over and does nothing to punish the culprits of the crime. When it is obvious they should have been put on trial and executed according to the law of the land. When murder and treason is the crime.

Can any Ibo honestly say What the reaction of Ibo`s  in the east will be?

To get back to the issue of Awolowo. He could not have taken Yoruba`s out of the Federation, as he had no power to do so. First he was not the elected leader of Yoruba people at the time, the late Akintola killed by Ibo army officers was the elected leader even if his election was dubious. A result that could only have be overtuned by the courts or a re-election. Secondly we were under military rule hence the people calling the shorts were military boys, Ojuwju and Gawon. He was not a military man only a politician. Same as the great Zik who wanted to stop the war but had no power to do so as he was not in control of the military though he was the elected leader of the east, therefore had the mandate of his people. Unlike Awolowo who did not have the mandate to speak for all Yoruba people.  The only way Yoruba people could have broken away from the federation would have been through a referendum.

Another point, lets assume he had the power and the mandate to decide for the Yoruba race, and he said Yoruba`s would break away if Ibo`s were allowed to go. That can be interpreted to mean the country can`t allow the east to break away or else the west will break away too. Which means once the country was ready to fight to keep Nigeria one, to remain true to his words he had to join the war effort. Now lets take it from the Ibo point of view that he meant Yoruba`s would break with the east if Ojuwju declared the republic of Biafra. His he not entitled to change his mind and be against fighting to break up Nigeria, as an elderly man seeing the folly in breaking up Nigeria, unlike Ojuwju who was young, arrogant, selfish and  hot headed.  

Regarding Awolowo`s part in denying food to Biafra. I ask again, would the Ibo`s have allowed food and oil from their region to go to the enemy. Can any Ibo man here, tell me if Ibo people were the ones with surplus  food, would they have allowed it to go to the enemy they are having  war with. Will u give them your supply or allow your land to be used to provide food for the enemy without checking to see if it was really food or weapon being taken. Y do u blame Awolowo for kids starving, he was not in control of the food supply in the east, ojuwju and his men were. The top guns were busy feeding themselves while the young ones were left to die because it was more important for ojuwju to feed his soldiers at the expense of the young and vulnerable. Y keep on fighting a war when u can`t even feed your people. I remember the song of Bob Marley "he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day" U can only blame ojuwju for fighting a war he was ill prepared to fight and to continue when there was not enough food to feed the young and vulnerable. That is what happens when u have a young immature, selfish and arrogant leader calling the shorts.

Sadly enough after so many lives were lost, the person that brought it all on his people ran away to safety after so many innocent lives had being lost. At least Hitler had the courage and decency to take his own life after seeing the death and and destruction he brought upon his people. Today we see the once proud  Biafran veterans  that gave everything, begging for survival, while Ojuwju the man that brought them the pain and shame of of begging, living in luxury. I feel sad to see one of the proudest and hardest working Africans reduce to this. Biafran war was a shameful and sad event of African History, seeing brothers killing brothers over nothing. Nobody gained from it, infact the whole country is still suffering from it. It`s easy to blame others for our problems or short failings in life it takes away our sense of responsibility for our actions.

I know young Ibo`s are bitter and angry  about the war, which human being would not be, when so many millions died needlessly. I myself get very angry and upset when I read about the war or see videos of it, u don`t have to be Ibo to feel the suffering of your fellow human beings. I just think to apportion blame we have to be fair and objective. One as to ask was it logical and practical for ojuwju to take the Ibo race to war against the whole country when they had very limited  weapons, were out numbered and didn`t have the support of the rest of the world nor the land mass to feed it`s people. was it right to continue when it was obvious there was not enough food to feed your young and vulnerable and the only way to get food was from the enemy, was it necessary to sacrifice so many millons of lives just to raise the Biafran flag when reason and humility dictates otherwise.  I know if a Yoruba leader took us to war against the rest of Nigeria because few thousands yoruba`s were killed in another section of Nigeria and we were ill prepared, didn`t have the support of the rest of the world and we were dependent on Nigeria for food, My blame would be on nobody but the person that took us to war to suffer, when we could have solved the problem through dialogue. We need to take responsibility for our actions and not always look for someone else to blame. If anybody is o blame, OJuwju will have to shoulder must of it and maybe to a lesser extent Gawon.

What is sad is to see young Nigerians still engaged in ethnic prejudice and hatred, still going around killing one another, fuelling hate and making derogatory ethnic stereotypes. Where has it taken us in all these years. All over Africa it`s the same story, brothers killing brothers. Those that still call for the break up of the country should look at Somalia,  one people but it has not stopped them killing one another. We can take a leaf from south Africa, with so many different ethnic groups working together to build a better nation.  The Northern bashing as got to stop, we are all responsible for failing Nigeria regardless of ethnicity.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by birdman(m): 6:59am On Dec 10, 2008
Great post, okunoba.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by okunoba(m): 7:03am On Dec 10, 2008
What as the fighting between Akintola and Awolowo got to do with the killing of prominant Northerners and the the celebration of the massacre by Ibo`s living in the North. How would u react if u took me into your home and I started celebrating the killings of your family, by my distant relatives, right in front of u? That was what led to the slaughter of Ibo`s in the North not Awolowo fighting Akintola. It was the killings that Ojuwju used as an excuse to break away. when it is well documented the real reason is because ojuwju felt it should have been him ruling the country as the most Senior and most educated. But leadership in a military take over is based on who the coup plotters decide to rule. The war was about power between Gawon and Ojuwju. Simple.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 10, 2008
Muza:

U obviously have not seen ABU Zaria before

. . . and you, too, obviously haven't seen OAU before.
People that know the two give it to Ife.
Anybody around here that has been to the two?
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 10, 2008
The man Obafemi Awolowo is a very controversial personality. 90% of the Yorubas idolize him. Until PDP's 2003 abracadabra, they used his name to win elections(even after his death-AD). He was no doubt a man with charisma.

I have read the views of many here on this man. I can see the Igbos almost unanimously attributing their woes to him.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the man, largely due to his power-thirst. As a matter of fact, my father was a First republic politician and a core Awoist.
But my problem with Awo is what led to the infamous operation wetie crisis in Ibadan and the entire South-west(then Western region) in 1963. After relinguishing power to hsi no 2, Akintola, to seek power at the central, and losing out, he came back wanting to take over premiership of Western region from Akintola again. This led to serious crisis and many lives and property were lost. Unfortunately, many people shared sentiments with Awo and Akintola is still demonized till today.

This is, however, not taking away his brilliance and foresightedness. He built the university I attended with just cocoa money and many other legacies of his are still there today.
A friend of mine, who passionately dislikes Awo, would always tell me how Awo corruptly enriched his family then, but I'm finding it difficult to agree with him.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by onyengbu1(m): 10:42am On Dec 10, 2008
@okunoba,

People like you are more of a tribalist than all the other who shout all over Nairaland cursing and hating other tribes.

You do yours with style leading others to believe your a natinalist.

I don't expect any yoruba person to say that Awolowo is a bad person because of what he did to igbos. Or to say that igbos were not wrong to have fought a war. It is not fair to expect such sympathy from any yoruba person.

However, one can easily summarise your long write up in three sentences.

1. Igbos caused their killings in the north before the war by killing other nigerians and the igbos living in the north celebrated the killings.

2. Ojukwu shouldnt have gone to war by calling for seccession even though only a few thousands of igbos were killed.

3. Awolowo did not do anything wrong by using hunger as a weapon against the igbos.

All these are easily deductible from all that long write up. Let me take these 3 items in short terms. Long write ups arent necessary.

1. The igbos you are referring to that killed other nigerians are military men who organised a military coup that was supposed to eliminate all the corrupt politicians in the country, igbos and non igbos alike. The plan was to kill all of them and we all know why the people that was to kill eastern politicians failed to do it.

So it is not igbos killing other nigerians. It was a military coup gone wrong.

2. You really think its not wise for Ojukwu to go to war but you did not think its bad for The hausa people to be killing igbos in hundreds of thousands and for Gowon to detract from an accord that was reached to stop the crisis and allow the killings to continue?

3.Strangely enough, you did not point out the war Awolowo  waged against the igbos after the war. May be that is what any igbo man might reallly want to know about your Awo.

Let me not continue, the post is getting rather long and i don't like long posts.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by okunoba(m): 6:54am On Dec 11, 2008
"People like you are more of a tribalist than all the other who shout all over Nairaland cursing and hating other tribes"

"You do yours with style leading others to believe your a natinalist"

Dear Onye-Nbgu,
If u go back to my write up, the firsts line was about people that are bias and full of ethnic Bigotry but are the first to point a finger at others for it, without any solid prove. Sadly enough your accusation is in line with this regular trait of our people. How in my writing have I exhibited Ethnic Bigotry? I am not trying to be a Nationalist, I am human and have nothing but love for humanity. I asked some basic QS in my writing, can u go and answer them honestly. Until then I believe your talk is pretty much just reciting all the bigotry shoved down your throat as a youth. Y would u still refer to the different groups in Nigeria as tribe, if not for the fact that is what u had people call us, not the modern and more appropriate word of ethnicity. We are lucky to have access to knowledge something our parents could only have dreamt of, lets use it . We can`t continue to be stuck in the same old ignorant world of hate and bigotry. Lets move forward with love. YES WE CAN.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by faoni572(m): 1:47pm On Dec 11, 2008
Quote from: noetic on January 07, 2008, 10:35 PM

regardless of what you think, what makes or breaks a man is what he did with opportunities he had. It becomes more intriguing if those around him had the same opportunities too.

Obafemi Awolowo like three other men (one in the eastern region, another in the mid-west and the last in the north) had opportunities to serve their fatherland. what they did with these opportunities is history today. their results are subjects to debate by generations born and unborn.

Awo stood tall. he offered free, qualitative, basic education, adequate healthcare among others. ask yourself, y is he controversial even till today. because his policies unlike his mates are distinct, stood the test of time and has not been surpassed by any nigerian leader, living or dead.

he was a visionary and an icon. that he served in the southwest does not mean that he is a tribalist, because he sought for opportunities to implement these ideas on the national platform. he was rigged out. yet he continued to offer his opinion on national issues at the folly of the then rulers.

on biafra, he was on the fedral side so y should he have made any attempt to aid that ill fated project?. y didnt the 5 ibo govs of 1999-2007 back the uwazurike biafra project with all the funds at their disposal?. obviously if they did, biafra would have been a success. but they wont, y not? because its their carrot for negotiating selfish aims at the fedral level.

if we can have a president who can implement 25% of Awo`s policies, Nigeria will be a better place.

No doubt Awo will remain a sacroscant figure to millions unborn regardless of tribal affiliations

Well said, people should believe it or not Awo is a National Hero !!
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by WilyWily: 7:40pm On Dec 11, 2008
God will never forgive Mr Awolowo for what he did to N-Delta people, he will remain in Hell fire forever
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by KnowAll(m): 8:17pm On Dec 11, 2008
"His vision to starve Igbo children to death in war failed woefully.
The Igbo man has waxed stronger and stronger and he's been dead and buried and I've never as much as heard of a descendant of his.
Every evil man has his day with the cold hands of death"

In a war situation any tactic is acceptable, what do you want the Nigeria troops to do, to drop chocolate, biscuits and sweets from the sky to biafra kids, war is no joke when you declare war against a bigger nation you should be prepared for the worse. undecided
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by osisi4: 8:31pm On Dec 11, 2008
KnowAll:

"In a war situation any tactic is acceptable, what do you want the Nigeria troops to do, to drop chocolate, biscuits and sweets from the sky to biafra kids, war is no joke when you declare war against a bigger nation you should be prepared for the worse. undecided

Then my dear,may I never hear you or any awolowoists cry against northern domination.
Ojukwu should have left him to rot in jail if only he knew what a chicken he was.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by KnowAll(m): 8:38pm On Dec 11, 2008
"Then my dear,may I never hear you or any awolowoists cry against northern domination. "

If you read my contribution on the Jos riot, you we see I catogorically blame those Yoruba's living in the North, they are better off living amongst their kins men in Togo and Rep of Benin than living North of River Niger. The only people I sympathasie with are the corpers who are serving their country in the name of Nigeria.

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by WilyWily: 8:38pm On Dec 11, 2008
I believed the Starving to death of millions of Igbo infants by Mr Awolowo was a deliberate policy of Yorubas at that time to completely exterminate Ibo Tribe
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by shotster50(m): 6:17am On Dec 12, 2008
To the Yorubas, he is their national Hero and to the Easterners, he is a hate figure just as Ojukwu is to the rest of Nigeria. Having gone through a lot articles written by and about him, I think his motive was  Self preservation (himself and that of the Yoruba nation),  this means a lot of things depending on what side of the fence you sit on.

From what I understand, the grouse with Easterners was that there was a plan for an Oduduwa Republic which was agreed on but he backed out as soon as he was released from jail. This ultimately started this whole Cowardice stereotype about Yorubas.
I think he did what he felt was best for Yoruba people in that situation and the same will also go to Ojukwu.

The aspect I find troubling is where he advocated the Starvation of the Biafrans as a war policy. That is inhumane,   This is my independent 2 cents.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Jairzinho(m): 7:25pm On Dec 13, 2008
WilyWily:

God will never forgive Mr Awolowo for what he did to N-Delta people, he will remain in Hell fire forever
And what if I may ask did he do to the Niger Delta people?

I encourage people to do sufficient research before posting. At least with the proliferation of the internet,a lot of our historical facts are laid bare on the World Wide Web.

The fact remains that in addition to other predisposing factors;Awo & the AG were the first political party in the country to give minorities autonomy with the creation of the Mid-Western region in 1963,when the country essentially rested on the tripod of North,West,East.

While I cannot say Awo was perfect(who is?),we should always back our claims with facts.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by TrueBrit: 8:22pm On Dec 13, 2008
Awolowo did nothing for Nigeria. All he did was enrich himself and his family. I do not know why our currency carries him. He is no role model. Bloody Bastard. May God scatter his decendants as he ruined lives.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Muza(m): 8:44pm On Dec 13, 2008
True Brit:

Awolowo did nothing for Nigeria. All he did was enrich himself and his family. I do not know why our currency carries him. He is no role model. Bloody Bastard. May God scatter his decendants as he ruined lives.

ROFL! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by namun(f): 9:24pm On Dec 13, 2008
do not be upset because he was a yoruba leader. please, develop ur own leaders and shut up while at it. everybody and evrybody knows south west is the most developed i am sure u have ur own village in the east or north. please move back and give us some peace
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by NegroNtns(m): 11:15pm On Dec 13, 2008
Should we continue to focus inward at our flaws or should we direct the energy outward to block exploiters from coming to our soil to steal our resources?

Do you see anything wrong in Awolowo but glorify the presence of third world Asian citizens in your country while you serve them subversively as drivers, cooks, nannies, clerks, guards and they impose executive authority over you and your brethren and sisters? Wake up folks!!
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by Dede1(m): 4:22pm On Dec 16, 2008
Awo was a bloody and deceitful ethic irredentist. All the political shenanigans in the 50s and 60s that culminating into civil war centered on the crude oil struck in the eastern region about 1951.

Western region had cocoa and huge material resources from then Mid Western region. Awolowo, as the leader of government in the western region used the money to develop Yoruba land baring Lagos because of capital territory Mid-West because of ethnic bigotry.

He never believed in the so-called one Nigeria but tagged along as far as there were economic and political benefits to the Yoruba people.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by plcgroup: 6:24pm On Dec 16, 2008
@Okunoba,

I can't get your point. you said Awolowo had no power to stop the war? Oh he had no power but he still moved against the Biafrans who released him from jail. Now, I understand you, you said how can you allow your enemies have food during war. So, Awolowo considered Igbos enemy. I know if Awolowo was wise enough, he should not have supported the starvation of at least children hence we know that children and women are not to be killed during war.

Again, the military mostly Igbos staged a coup, and the Northerners staged their only to kill children and women and innocent civilians who were not in government. Igbo officers did not go killing children, women and those who were not in power.

However, you said Biafrans attacked Ore, but remember that Yorubas allowed Hausa soldiers to operate from Lagos, and Gowan was in the West. So, Biafrans had every right to attack the enemies in any place they operate. You claim that you are not against me, but you give room for my enemies to attack me through your land.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by okunoba(m): 3:47am On Dec 24, 2008
to plc,
my points are self explanatory. Go over my article objectively and open mind, free of bias and ethnic alliance then u will see my point. I said for example that Awolowo was not the one in charge of Biafran food supply during the war, ojuwju was. He chose to starve kids instead of stopping the war. Y fight a war when u can`t feed your kids.  If Nigeria was fighting a war with England, will we still sell them oil or let oil from our country go to them? U seem to think war is friends shaking hands. During the war both sides considered each other as the enemy, just like u rrefereed to the Federal side as the enemy. That is what u call war. Awolowo did not invent the word enemy soldier. The war should have been called off as soon as the Biafran govt realised they had food shortage, to stop the young and vulnerable from dying. Similar to a boxing march, when a boxer is being beaten badly, a good trainer throws in the towel to prevent his boxer from being permanently injured. So he can live to fight another day. U can`t blame the opposing boxer if the fight is not stopped until the injured boxer is killed or permanently injured, he would only have been doing his job. War is not charity work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by IGWEUSA(m): 1:29pm On Dec 27, 2008
okunoba:

to plc,
my points are self explanatory. Go over my article objectively and open mind, free of bias and ethnic alliance then u will see my point. I said for example that Awolowo was not the one in charge of Biafran food supply during the war, ojuwju was. He chose to starve kids instead of stopping the war. Y fight a war when u can`t feed your kids. If Nigeria was fighting a war with England, will we still sell them oil or let oil from our country go to them? U seem to think war is friends shaking hands. During the war both sides considered each other as the enemy, just like u rrefereed to the Federal side as the enemy. That is what u call war. Awolowo did not invent the word enemy soldier. The war should have been called off as soon as the Biafran govt realised they had food shortage, to stop the young and vulnerable from dying. Similar to a boxing march, when a boxer is being beaten badly, a good trainer throws in the towel to prevent his boxer from being permanently injured. So he can live to fight another day. U can`t blame the opposing boxer if the fight is not stopped until the injured boxer is killed or permanently injured, he would only have been doing his job. War is not charity work.

@ okonoba, after going through your article, I can only call u a A PUNK ASS HYPOCRITE.
U cant blame Ojukwu for trying to defend his people that are being massacred in the north because of a coup that waz coordinated by millitary officers involving all the ethnic groups, but unfortunately for the planners, it was not succesful in the eastern region.

As for Awolowo, his is no national hero, but an ethnic hero, and so is Ojukwu. And I didnt see any thing wrong with the intention of these men protecting the interest of their people since some goons and guns never want peace. If that they really do, the Aburi accord in Ghana should have been adopted.

if some people dont want a particular ethnic group in their region just because those non- natives are doing better than them, Why should Ojukwu be wrong, why forcing the ibos to continue to be Nigerians ?

The igbos alwaz believe in one nigeria and thats why they diversify their assets and live in any part of nigeria. But should someone keep on waiting till all his brothers are killed before recognising that they are not wanted in a particular region?

As the massacre in the northern region continues to happen, like the recent Jos killings, it only reinforces the views of people like ojukwu, the call for succesion and creation of BIAFRA.

********blame me not, Cos' it is no crime calling 4 independence"************************* lipsrsealed
*********the easterns have more than enough to support themselves***************** lipsrsealed
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by okunoba(m): 6:21pm On Dec 27, 2008
@  okonoba, after going through your article, I can only call u a A PUNK ASS HYPOCRITE

Dear Igwe USA,
If we want to make difference and not follow in the footsteps of our parents, we need to learn the good practice of this great democracies that we live in. Y the abuse my brother, we can debate without insulting one another. "Yes we can" To tackle the issue of Biafra and indeed the Nigerian problem, we need to remove our ethnic alliance and put on a human one. If we deal with issues as an ethnic man we lose focus of the problem and become entangled in ethnic bias and prejudice. I do not speak as an ethnic man but more as a human being that bleeds just like u. When the Europeans came to Africa, our fore fathers couldn`t fight them with spears and arrows, when they did they lost too many men, they had to stop to prevent genocide of the black race similar to what happened to American Indians. The slaves that were taken to the Americas could have fought until the last man and be wiped out like the many American Indian tribes that were wiped out but they didn`t. The wisdom of our forefathers of knowing when to fight and when not to, is the reason a black man is today the most powerfull man in the world. President elect Obama. "He who fights and runs away, lives to fight another day"

Ojiukwu took the Ibo race to war when ill prepeared and should have stopped the war when there was food shortage, instead of starving children the most vulnerable of society so as to continue fighting a futile war. So many innocent young lives were lost, for what? To u Ojukwu is a hero for bringing death and destruction to the Ibo race and fellow Nigerians and for dividing our people. Similar to Germans calling Hitler a hero for bringing death and destruction to the German people and diving the world.

Awolowo brought free and compulsory education to the whole western  region of Nigeria, this single act is the reason y until recently most of the doctors, lawyers, engineers and other professionals came from this area. This created a healthy competition amongst the different ethnic groups in Education especially amongst the Ibo`s and Yoruba`s. This u have to agree could only have been good for the development of the country. Nigerians are respected all over the world not because of oil but because of education. one of the  the reasons we are called the giant of Africa. Awolowo brought mass education and it`s importance  to Nigeria. This makes him not only a national hero but also an African hero. He started the mass enlightenment process which as kept Nigerians at the top, as the most educated Africans or even the whole black race. The respect we get because of our educational achievement all over the world is indirectly due to his vision of free and compulsory education for the part of Nigeria that he ruled. If all African leaders followed this one example, our continent will be alot better than it`s today. Lets forget ethnic sentiments and give credit where credit is due.

Compare the contribution of both protagonist, not as an Ndigbo but as a black African and it`s obvious who is a national hero or indeed an African hero.
Re: Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? by PiMpjUiCe1: 11:59pm On Dec 29, 2008
okunoba, y do u waste tym trying to make a blind man see d colour of ur face, na wa for u oooooo,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Shehu Sani Reacts To Saraki's Looming Arrest, Police Invitation / Kelechi (Kaycee) Madu Wins Election In Canada (Photos) / APC Leaders In Shock As Saraki Emerges Senate President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.