Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,186 members, 7,829,250 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments (27697 Views)

Do You Make Someone Your Enemy When You Are Generous To Them ? / Man Laments As Best Friend Sleeping With His Wife Breaks His Bed (Video) / 10 Richest Families In Nigeria 2018 By ManucheTv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by fawaz050(m): 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2023
Hussein035:

Obi has not helped his family, he has only give them money. With the kind of wealth Obi has I believe it is enough to establish even 20 of his siblings with 5 million naira each and tell them not to ask him for money again and definitely Obi will not feel he has spent money unless he decided to pretend there's no money

The way some of you talk ehn! How do you know he hasn't done more than that for them?

5 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by gr8child(m): 1:03pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And it's your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some wealthy men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off in the future they can't sustain because the didn't empower family.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
Don't downplay family, family is everything

Na entitlement go kee you.

4 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Gboom: 1:04pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mikel is just a stingy guy.
If you are rich, there is no way you avoid family demands unless they don't know where you are. This is not peculiar to African alone, according to this Man U player, Erikson, he said he has up to 40-50 people living with him in London and he considering their welfare before he move to Manchester from London. Mind you he is from Denmark, a European country.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by yemmywesey(m): 1:05pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mikel obi , I hope that most of your wealth and properties are in Nigeria, because I don't want to hear the story of how eboue lost his football Fortune the second time.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 1:06pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:

I am sure you have changed your name to a slave name too. You know I am right.

Let me tell you for the over 2 decades I spent in the Uk, I taught them how to pronounce my name. I would rather they pronounce it wrong than give me a name that isn’t mine or for me to change my name to please them.

All this just to change pampas for the elderly while they spit at you.

Despicable insecure slaves!!!
Eyah, as long I am not bearing your name....am good! cheesy cheesy cheesy

So because you spent "over 2 decades in the UK" with visibly nothing intellectual to show for it, you think you can demean a fellow being for living in the village?

You have an empty skull seated comfortably between your shoulder blades.

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by tunize(m): 1:06pm On Nov 18, 2023
Truth is entitlement mentality in this part of our world is just too much especially when you are wealthy. But looking at it from the other side if one turns out to be the wealthiest in his family, the best thing to do is to try and see how you can stand your immediate and extended family anyway you can instead of dishing out money to them anyhow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Hamburgfinest(m): 1:06pm On Nov 18, 2023
GUNITGuy:

He's saying trash it's an Ibo thing unlike Yorubas .,.
The Europe is talking about he doesn't know we're most of the Taxes he's paying is going to unemployment benefits, child supports, Homeless, Education opportunity and Health care people regulated by the government...
Thats why they are not disturbing unlike Nigeria There's absolutely nothing like that people needs a helping hand at some point to get ahead ....
God would bless the works of our hands and not to depend on any Man or woman to Live eat or survive in
Jesus name Amen
Bro you’re very civilised,You know what exactly make this westerners move forward.I thank God we still have people like you in Igbo land that will make Ojukwu dream come true.I pray God to let our enemies live long and see what I will become in future

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Omoluabi16(m): 1:07pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mikel obi should shut up. Is this an African thing or a worldwide phenomenon? It's even worse with the south Americans who run off to Saudi just to meet up. Even pepper sellers still pay black tax, so I wonder why he's painting Africa in bad light.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by gr8child(m): 1:07pm On Nov 18, 2023
maasoap:

Jobless people for opposing Mikel's belief? I think you are wrong. I disagree with Mikel and I'm not jobless. I don't even know how to ask but I believe that nothing wrong in helping people most especially when you have the means
You read what he wrote and your takeaway was that he doesn’t help his family? What he complained about was inordinate and excessive demands. A person will carelessly have several children that he cannot properly provide for and be asking someone that planned his family with two children for money for naming, upkeep and school fees. Does that sound fair to you?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Tijani009: 1:08pm On Nov 18, 2023
BigBlackPreek:
That's Africa for you, especially Nigerians with entitlement mentality.

Since I started serving in January, anywhere I enter like this, naso people go start to dey task me, some go pass dey look me like say I dey owe the money, them expect make I dey drop money for them as if say na 1million federal government dey pay me 🤣
If you wear uniform enter market na ×2 everything go be omo coppers day try
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by DREAMHOMES6970(m): 1:09pm On Nov 18, 2023
MadamExcellency:
If your family is not entitled to you especially your bloodlines, who will?

It is a blessing to be in the position of giving rather than receiving.

For me, family first (extended families and kinsmen).

What is the money meant for since we are going to be here forever?

My dear the matter just tire me. It's my prayer to be in a position where I be able to elevate all my family from poverty and also extend it to others. I know some people can be spoilt and ungrateful but not every member of the family. It's only in Nigeria we keep hearing this kind of complains from rich celebs and stars . I look at people like Akon, drogba, mane, eto and you see what they are doing... Not just for there immediate family but community at large. But you see Nigeria version like Psquare, Mikel, okocha and rest of them, there success is only for themselves, they only come out complaining of how people are after their money. What charity or something meaningful are they doing for their country. For people like okocha and kanu, they are only busy introducing people into betting. My prayer remains God should put me in such position to be the giver and not receiver. For Mikel he doesn't need to give his family money. He should try set them up. I know it not easy but may God help us all
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 1:09pm On Nov 18, 2023
Hussein035:

Obi has not helped his family, he has only give them money. With the kind of wealth Obi has I believe it is enough to establish even 20 of his siblings with 5 million naira each and tell them not to ask him for money again and definitely Obi will not feel he has spent money unless he decided to pretend there's no money

Anyone who gives you N1m today has not helped but only given you money? ?

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by casualobserver: 1:10pm On Nov 18, 2023
Mindlog:

Eyah, as long I am not bearing your name....am good! cheesy cheesy cheesy

So because you spent "over 2 decades in the UK" with visibly nothing intellectual to show for it, you think you can demean a fellow being for living in the village?

You have an empty skull seated comfortably between your shoulder blades.

Nigerians that were born in the uk and lived there for decades don’t have accents, it is you that sold all her properties to get care worker visa in the uk to clean elderly poop that is changing accent and changing name! Ode!!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Tijani009: 1:11pm On Nov 18, 2023
gr8child:
You read what he wrote and your takeaway was that he doesn’t help his family? What he complained about was inordinate and excessive demands. A person will carelessly have several children that he cannot properly provide for and be asking someone that planned his family with two children for money for naming, upkeep and school fees. Does that sound fair to you?
Even when you give them money for business so they can be indepentent na lie they will eat up the money without fear or remours still come to you for help again

7 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mindlog: 1:13pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:

Nigerians that were born in the uk and lived there for decades don’t have accents, it is you that sold all her properties to get care worker visa in the uk to clean elderly poop that is changing accent and changing name! Ode!!!

I can feel the transference....keep it coming, I am trained and UKCP certified for it. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by yinkeys(m): 1:16pm On Nov 18, 2023
Paul Pogba recently said he sometimes wished he didn’t have money lol

5 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by gr8child(m): 1:21pm On Nov 18, 2023
casualobserver:
I really dislike this guy. Are Nigerians the only footballers from poor backgrounds with family hanger-ons? Same thing happens with other African and South American footballers. They dont come on tv or radio selling out their own to please his white masters.

I don’t have a problem with what he said, I have a problem with him saying it to outsiders to get ratings.
O I has an inferiority complex with his stupid fake accent!
The thing about Nigerians is that when they are shamed for having bad character they start fighting the person that gave true criticisms instead of looking inwards and looking for how to change their ways for the better. If you are ashamed of someone exposing your people for their entitlement mentality then you need to face the people who are behaving badly not the poor man who is suffering it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by GUNITGuy: 1:23pm On Nov 18, 2023
Hamburgfinest:

Bro you’re very civilised,You know what exactly make this westerners move forward.I thank God we still have people like you in Igbo land that will make Ojukwu dream come true.I pray God to let our enemies live long and see what I will become in future
Yeah thanks but am not Ibo but my mum's Senior Sister is married to an Ibo man...He's their way of doing things including the Jews do same any were they're found ...David did it to His brothers too they became part of his Cabinet ....
He shou
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by isaachi4u: 1:26pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:
Of course you belong to your family. They own you. And it's your responsibility to make your family smile before you consider strangers. Build your family I'm not saying you must grant every request but try for your family because when you die na still that family go reciprocate. Some wealthy men impress the streets and let the family suffer then when they fall off in the future they can't sustain because the didn't empower family.
Mikel particularly is a stingy guy, compare him to Mane from Senegal in terms of being charitable. Mikel would rather spend millions on a whip for model than support his family.
nice one. Family is everything.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by vastolord4(m): 1:27pm On Nov 18, 2023
vickydevoka:

When you give each member of your family 500 million each n pay them salary at your active years. The moment you stop when you retire. Just know you are an enemy

I can relate.. you sound like you experienced it.. lol.. soo true

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by fawaz050(m): 1:28pm On Nov 18, 2023
Gboom:
Mikel is just a stingy guy.
If you are rich, there is no way you avoid family demands unless they don't know where you are. This is not peculiar to African alone, according to this Man U player, Erikson, he said he has up to 40-50 people living with him in London and he considering their welfare before he move to Manchester from London. Mind you he is from Denmark, a European country.

Please give me the link to the news where Eriksen said he has 40-50 people living with him. I want to check something out.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Unicornpro: 1:28pm On Nov 18, 2023
That's what Yoruba call: Olowo kan l'arin otosi mefa.
Single wealthy man in a poor, wreched big family.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by adicius: 1:29pm On Nov 18, 2023
This guy talks too much shit. He should shut the Bleep up and go away. He was a very average footballer who got lucky playing for big clubs. Trying to stay relevant with his pointless opinions. 🥱 Yawn.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by tonytony208(m): 1:31pm On Nov 18, 2023
DonBenny77:

Who made him rich? The family?

Is he the reason why the entitled family members are poor and wretched?

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mirasteel: 1:32pm On Nov 18, 2023
He's honestly right, African has this absurd entitlement mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by tonytony208(m): 1:33pm On Nov 18, 2023
Whalis:
Mikel wouldn't have become a player of repute without a family member introducing him to NFF. Here is Africa. You don't need to reciprocate good gestures on the person who helped you it might be another family member. A family member took Mikel's father to Jos. This is Africa.

How are you sure it was a family member that introduced him to NFF? Were you there during the introduction?

1 Like

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Shikena(m): 1:34pm On Nov 18, 2023
You are smart. Just dey observe. Obi hit raw nerves with many of them. They are mad at him. When you see them use the word "stingy", you know those are the chairmen/women of entitlement grin .

gr8child:
The thing about Nigerians is that when they are shamed for having bad character they start fighting the person that gave true criticisms instead of looking inwards and looking for how to change their ways for the better. If you are ashamed of someone exposing your people for their entitlement mentality then you need to face the people who are behaving badly not the poor man who is suffering it.

4 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by egojeny1(f): 1:34pm On Nov 18, 2023
Pure truth. Some parents will born 100 children and expect the first born to help take care of the last ones

3 Likes

Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Error401: 1:34pm On Nov 18, 2023
Na why he get issue with 2face that time be that
DonBenny77:
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Jamie1000: 1:38pm On Nov 18, 2023
Entitlement aside, we only feel like we don't need family when we become rich and privileged. If you feel like you don't owe your family members expecially your blood help or assistance to get them in a better place in life, you're nut. Where's empathy? Tomorrow, your kids might the one needing help. Self centred generation.
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Mamijoh(f): 1:39pm On Nov 18, 2023
DyshApp:
Former Chelsea star, Mikel Obi, has stirred reactions online following an attack against demanding family members that act entitled.

In an interview with fellow football player Rio Ferdinand, the former captain of the Super Eagles bemoaned the fact that, in Africa, families frequently have the right to inherit an individual’s wealth.

Video:https://twitter.com/rioferdy5/status/1725199091146096677?t=V8XwUnfMWuCSb-JMaBXMvw&s=19

According to him, when an African person gets money, many cousins and relatives start to make demands, and some of sisters married men who just wanted to related to him because of his status.

The football player said that he sometimes had to be tough and set aside his personal demands since these people have so many children and need him to take care of them.

Mikel Obi stated that these extended family members believe he owes them money and threaten to go to the press if he refuses. It is prevalent in Africa, according to the football player.

In his words;

“When you come from Africa, when you make money, it’s not your money. You have all these relatives, cousins, and your sisters go off and get married to some guy who just wants to get married into Mikel John Obi’s family because his life is sorted, and then you start looking after this guy, and before you know it, they keep having so many kids and you look at it like,

‘Okay, you’re having this many kids, who are going to look after them?’ It’s you! It’s the culture because, for them, you owe them that, so sometimes you have to be strong and say, ‘You know what, guys, enough is enough; I don’t care’. They give you this thing whereby ‘if you don’t do it, we’re going to go to the press’. After all, what have I done for you guys? But this happens a lot in Africa. Not everybody comes out and speaks about it.”

Is this true😂

Follow up with more Relationship Topic on Relationship Talk Loung(link)
Very true, this is bitter truth
Re: Families In Africa Act As If They Own You When You Make Money- Mikel Obi Laments by Blitzking: 1:39pm On Nov 18, 2023
I am not against supporting family member but how do u cope if u are from a family where ur parents decides to give birth to 13 children with little or no education and u are the mikel of that family and out of those children u av hook up gals...cultists...drunkards...drug dealers...the hook up gal contracts an incurable disease they start calling brother the mother develops high BP cos of the children they start calling brother...the cultist is maimed and in the hands of police he no only has a case but also needs medical attention.. one of the girls suddenly gets pregnant for a riff-raff and always calling for food...school fees and all..the drunkard has damaged his liver and is down with alcoholic hepatitis and they are calling brother..he has been told many times that they want to open this or that and he has given them money to rent shop but they closed the shop down and assembled in his house cos they want to wake up and be fed 3 times daily enjoying the cool breeze of the sea side. They don't love you they want to bring you down and kill u b4 ur time.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

"You’re My Father" -Student; "No, I’m Not, Please" – Ex -lawmaker / Which Is Easier To Raise, Male Child Or Female Child? / My Husband Has Refused To Pay Back A N5m Loan I Got For Him – Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.