Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine (15030 Views)

Please Is It Bad To Run You Engine Idling With D A/C On For A Long Time. / What Three Things Does An Engine Need To Run? / Project: Nissan Deisel Engine Conversion To Petrol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by baconline(m): 9:33am On Oct 30, 2011
tx guyz,i will give it a try.let have as much info as possible
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by cretin: 12:07pm On Oct 30, 2011
CAN U POWER UR CAR WITH KEROSENE?, yes you can!!!,
will it power ur car without issues?, NO SIR!!!!!
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by ogb5(m): 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2011
you can use kerosene in place of diesel.
just that kerosine causes diesel engines to run hotter. you will most like have over heating issues.

i use kerosene on my diesel gen once in a while
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by sultaan(m): 4:57am On Oct 31, 2011
kaykaybaba:

@OP your question is not unreasonble. I met a farmer about 3 weeks ago buying a carton of vegetable oil. I was so surprised I asked him why he needed so much veg. oil and he replied saying he mixes it with his diesel for his engine. He explained that he has a mixing ratio which works for him and he's been doing it for a while. He uses a different mix in winter from the one he uses in summer. If you're willing to take the risk then I'd advise you to do some research on the subject, and start slow. Good luck. By the way, I'm from Ekiti. We REASON grin grin grin

That is the best answer yet, people filter cooking oil and run their diesel engine on it, but you have to start the engine with diesel first then some run completely on cooking oil once engine is warmed/hot.

You can start with 15% cooking oil first

Biodiesel is made by mixing vegetable oil with lye/NaOH (i think) to remove the glycerol and left with a hydrocarbon CO- end of fatty acid turned CH (organic chem) I m ay have fumbled but you get the idea. grin
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by kaykaybaba(m): 9:40pm On Oct 31, 2011
^^^ grin grin grin
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Nobody: 11:38pm On Oct 31, 2011
Duke007:

as an engineer wit several yrs experience wit diesel engine,l can tel u dat it is possible to run your diesel engine wit 50% diesel and 50% kero,but then,u are killing your machine cos both fuel ve different octane rating and your diesel engine is calibrated wit dis octane rating.lf u continue wit dis practise,your machine injector rotor head wil get damaged and l can tel u dat it cost a hell of a money to replace.Again,it wil affect d climbability of your truck ön hills plus the white smoke emision and oda orisirisi wahala.think twice b4 u do it.

Bro, you have several years experience as an engineer with Diesel engines, yet you're rating Diesel fuel with an Octane rating? Octane number is the ability of Petrol to resist Knock, when operating at a throttle opening that is known to produce maximun Knock (detonation). This applies to Spark engines. Diesel engine is a Compression engine, and Diesel fuel is rated with a Cetane number, which is the ignitability of Diesel fuel (CN 30 - 55 is the norm).
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by sultaan(m): 12:52am On Nov 01, 2011
Siena:

Bro, you have several years experience as an engineer with Diesel engines, yet you're rating Diesel fuel with an Octane rating? Octane number is the ability of Petrol to resist Knock, when operating at a throttle opening that is known to produce maximun Knock (detonation). This applies to Spark engines. Diesel engine is a Compression engine, and Diesel fuel is rated with a Cetane number, which is the ignitability of Diesel fuel (CN 30 - 55 is the norm).

There you go again you don turn oyinbo finish(no tech in naija all of them engineer). The man said he is an engineer and he knows the injector rotor head can be damaged.

In Nigeria he is an engineer it does not matter if he spent his first year of study buying ogas food, or good old phy101, as long as he opens engines he is engineer
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Nobody: 12:57am On Nov 01, 2011
sultaan:

There you go again you don turn oyinbo finish(no tech in naija all of them engineer). The man said he is an engineer and he knows the injector rotor head can be damaged.

In Nigeria he is an engineer it does not matter if he spent his first year of study buying ogas food, or good old phy101, as long as he opens engines he is engineer

Hell yeah, I remember all those Nigerian engineers now. wink
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by sultaan(m): 2:35am On Nov 01, 2011
Here is more info.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/alternativefuels/vegetableoil.html

If you have time listen to their show, I listen every saturday, very funny and informative best car talk show in the world

http://www.cartalk.com/ct/review/index.jsp
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Nobody: 6:06am On Nov 01, 2011
@Okija Juju, Well continue abusing Ekiti people. Afterall if we don't reason, how come we have the highest number of professors in Nigeria and I Myself will soon receive a PhD in molecular biology. And we don't reason? You berra pray to be like us.
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by oblo(m): 7:05am On Nov 01, 2011
^^^ I wonder why we have to bring up our tribal differences at d drop of a hat!!!!! Wetin concern diesel kerosene mixture with ekiti reasoning? The initial comment on d first page was uncalled for!
Re: Can I Use Kerosine To Run My Deisel Engine by Nobody: 1:56am On Sep 10, 2012
;DHmmmm grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch Range Rover Sport Beats Ferrari's Record On China's 99-turn Tianmen Road / Volvo Mechanic / Service Center / Can A Faulty Brain Box Affect The Gear Box Of A Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.