Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,324 members, 7,829,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race (3670 Views)

Opposition Candidate Gains Momentum In Nigeria Election Race - Bloomberg / Opposition Candidate Atiku Gains Momentum In Nigeria Election Race - Bloomberg / Election ​2019:- A Nigerian Youth Activist Joins Abuja Election Race. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Hollicom(m): 7:26am On Nov 29, 2023
Last year, Nigeria's most successful businessman and richest person alive in the country, Aliko Dangote, had a meeting with his selected strategists.

The purpose of the meeting was simple.

To decide among the three presidential candidates, Aliko Danogte would support

The three candidates were

Peter Obi

Atiku Abubakar

Bola Ahmed Tinubu

The candidate's profile, merit, and demerit were analysed by the gentlemen seated in that room.

At the end of the meeting, the consensus was that Atiku Abubakar was a better option to back, and the reasons were not far-fetched.

Aside from the special chummy relationship between the businessman and Atiku, Atiku, who ironically clocked 77 today, is pro-business, is the right person for corporate business, and has the right skill set to reposition and revive the dead economy.

Also, the fact that the cabal around Tinubu was openly supporting Atiku made Dangote's decision very easy.

The calculation was that Atiku would win, and based on that, Dangote chose to pitch his tent with Atiku Abubakar by supporting his aspiration to become our president, which did not materialise on February 25.

It was said that Dangote donated money as well to Tinubu's camapign, which was his normal traditional custom to do, but his body language showed he preferred Atiku, whom he believed would have been a better president for businesses and the economy in Nigeria than Tinubu.

His arch rival and brother, Abdul Samad Rabiu of BUA Cement, chose to pitch his tent with Bola Ahmed Tinubu and did not donate money to Atiku Abubakar.

His first choice was Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

His second choice was Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Rabiu’s support was so personal that he donated his private jets for temporary use by TInubu’s people during the campaign.

Tinubu’s wife, Remi, and his aides were flying Rabiu’s private jets during the campaign.

The same is true of Tony Elumelu. It was said that Tony's UBA provided the much-needed cash for Tinubu's camp during the ill-fated cash crunch and scarcity before the election.

No wonder Tony was the first person Tinubu visited in Lagos as a president-elect.

Since Lagos is a very small place, news started flying around in a twinkle of an eye.

News got into the ears of Asiwaju that Nigeria's gift to the world, Dangote, is not supporting his aspiration; rather, he has pitched his tent with Atiku.

He was disappointed with the betrayal by Dangote.

Dangote built his wealth in Lagos, the Lagos he owns, and he has been supportive of Dangote's aspirations before now.

Dangote fully backing him would have been a way of paying back his generosity to him; not doing so is a big stab in the back.

That Dangote did not support him, but rather Atiku, was one of the reasons why Asiwaju stayed away when Dangote refinery was later commissioned by Buhari in the Lagos he owns.

The election is over.

Asiwaju is the president, and the chicken has come home to roost.

For the first time since the return of democracy in 1999, Dangote is not the favourite of a sitting government.

Abdul Samad Rabiu and Tony Elumelu have taken his position because they fully backed Asiwaju during the campaign.

“This is the first time the elected government is not particularly aligned with Aliko,” said one senior banker who spoke on condition of anonymity to the Financial Times. “So it has opened a window of opportunity for people to peddle their own influence.”

“Dangote is not as influential as he used to be,” said Ricardo Soares de Oliveira, an Oxford professor of the politics of Africa, who described the billionaire as a Nigerian oligarch. At a time when he had bet his fortune on the success of the refinery, that was not a comfortable position to be in, several close observers of Nigeria said.

Matthew Page, a former CIA expert on Nigeria, told the Financial Times that Rabiu donated heavily to the Tinubu election campaign and had been emboldened by his close relationship with the new president. The cement market was smaller after eight years of economic stagnation, he said. “The tide pool has shrunk, and the two biggest lobsters in the tank are snapping at each other.”

The biggest casualty from the politics of Dangote is his 650,000 per day Dangote refinery, which has been starved of crude oil by NNPC.

Before Asiwaju came in, Dangote had a binding agreement with NNPC.

The agreement was this:

That NNPC would invest $2 billion in Dangote refinery, or if they cannot invest in cash,they will provide crude oil worth that amount for Dangote refinery to process.

This investment will give NNPC a 20% stake in the Dangote refinery, while Dangote will keep the remaining 80%.

NNPC is too broke to drop $2 billion, so they choose to provide $2 billion worth of crude oil in lieu of the cash they were expected to drop so as to own a 20% stake in Dangote refinery.

But there is a problem.

Buhari, who was the president when the deal was sealed, is no longer in power.

The new Whiz kid is not a fan of Dangote any more, so the guys at NNPC saw the body language, which is the fact that Aliko has not visited Aso Rock since Tinubu relocated to Aso Rock, and they were influenced by that to start playing politics by fuffiling their own side of the bargain.

NNPC, which was at the mercy of Dangote when Buhari was in charge, turned to hard nuts to crack under Tinubu.

As of today, the reason why Dangote refinery has yet to refine any drop of crude oil is because NNPC has not supplied the facility with crude oil as they promised to do under the last government.

Frustrated by what NNPC is doing and the politics they are playing, Dangote's Indian manager was forced to say that the refinery would start importing crude oil from trading oil companies abroad since NNPC is not forthcoming.

The outburst was forced to move the hands of NNPC, and it worked as NNPC invited Dangote's guys to the negotiating table.

In a recent interview, Dangote admitted that the issue with NNPC has been solved and refined crude oil will flow soon from his refinery. He also remidned the sharks, circling and baying for his blood, saying that Dangote Refinry is bigger than him, in case they had forgotten.

Rabiu of BUA Cement has visited Aso Rock more than four times since Tinubu relocated to Aso Rock Villa.

The same is true of Tony Elemelu.

Dangote, the poster boy and darling of the previous Nigerian government, has not been invited once to come, and this speaks to how low he has fallen on the ladder.

He only went to inform Mr. President that Bill Gates was coming to town the next day for polio eradication.

Stories allegedly floated by BUA Group have accused Dangote of profiting from illegal foreign exchange trades worth billions of dollars.

This government is investigating forex allocations made to Aliko Dangote when Godwin Emefiele, the former central bank governor, was in charge of distributing dollars at the official rate to chosen industries at far below market prices, the Financial Times reported.

Dangote bet on the wrong horse during the last national election, and now the sharks are circling and are baying for his blood and his multibillion-dollar business empire as well.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by 1TrippleCee: 7:33am On Nov 29, 2023
Ok
Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by N3TRAL: 7:40am On Nov 29, 2023

48 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by tommy589(m): 7:40am On Nov 29, 2023
Interesting
Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Afamed: 7:45am On Nov 29, 2023
This una watsap group Akproko ehhhh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Bliss62: 7:49am On Nov 29, 2023
cool

The entire Dantata family and Dangote supported Tinubu

If only you know what PDP did to Dangote when he wanted to buy NNPC refinery or when he wanted to build his own, before Asiwaju helped him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_44gh7rW5dY?si=uoDlsbdGWJSuHzFC

4 Likes

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by jmoore(m): 7:58am On Nov 29, 2023
All these beer parlour gossip...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by chicfarmer: 8:03am On Nov 29, 2023
For now, Nigeria needs Dangote refinery more than Dangote needs Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by KingOfAllIgbos: 8:06am On Nov 29, 2023
Igbos and yeye permutations.

You know why I know your tribe ?

1. No sane person would list presidential candidates and list Peter Obi first. That was a dead giveaway.

2. Y'all come up with really dense conspiracy theories that make zero sense.

3. You try to pit your colonial masters against each other.

See. It was your turn in 2023 to rule but we pushed you away as your Oga. If you continue this way, we would continue to keep you as

Internally Displaced 3rd Class Citizens (ID3CCs) grin

15 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Mvnster: 8:13am On Nov 29, 2023
Afamed:
This una watsap group Akproko ehhhh
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Alaigbo(m): 8:17am On Nov 29, 2023
Are you Igbo ?
I asked because that is what it takes to believe this kies you concorted to fool you soul.

Hollicom:
Last year, Nigeria's most successful

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Administration1: 8:37am On Nov 29, 2023
Hollicom:
Last year,
How much is your net worth?

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by madmohamed(m): 8:50am On Nov 29, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:

1. No sane person would list presidential candidates and list Peter Obi first. That was a dead giveaway.

See. It was your turn in 2023 to rule but we pushed you away as your Oga. If you continue this way, we would continue to keep you as

coward where did you see igbo and obi here

6 Likes

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Jerk1: 8:59am On Nov 29, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:

you are opening mouth and closing making noise here and there,I won't blame you because nairaland is shielding you. If you think you get liver, come and meet me on X (twitter) let me bath u well well. Nairaland is restricting me a lot that's why I have pitched my tent to X where I usually flogs bigots like you unrestricted.
I finish one bigot this morning and he started asking me if I live in Lagos lol.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by KingOfAllIgbos: 9:25am On Nov 29, 2023
Jerk1:
you are opening mouth and closing making noise here and there,I won't blame you because nairaland is shielding you. If you think you get liver, come and meet me on X (twitter) let me bath u well well. Nairaland is restricting me a lot that's why I have pitched my tent to X where I usually flogs bigots like you unrestricted.
I finish one bigot this morning and he started asking me if I live in Lagos lol.

Let me help you. Wouldn't meet you on Twitter X

Will meet you physically.

I can bet anything you just shartt your pants and you are scrambling for your wife's skirts now grin

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by DesChyko: 9:29am On Nov 29, 2023
I really don't give a f**k about where Dangote pitches his tent. He's a billionaire by all ramifications and I do not see this economic crisis impacting his billionaire status anytime soon.

Of more concern to me is that within a month, the cost of the preferred powdered milk I and my family use increased by 30%. Within a month!!

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Houseontherock1: 9:30am On Nov 29, 2023
undecided
Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Ahmed0336(m): 9:33am On Nov 29, 2023
Same Dangote that was in the same PJ with BAT just two weeks ago in Saudi Arabia

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Artscollection: 10:14am On Nov 29, 2023
E go reach everyone, just prepare you godamn mind!!
Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by kettykin: 10:35am On Nov 29, 2023
So Tomy Elufelu funded APC running against his brother and statesman Ifeanyi Okowa , if this is true then the world record of betrayals has been beaten
Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by HopeSpencer: 10:44am On Nov 29, 2023
N3TRAL:
Big lie mixed with bits of truth.

The first businessman to visit Tinubu after he won was Dangote. Dangote visited Tinubu after he was sworn in with Bill Gates.

Dangote supported Tinubu. Rabiu supported Tinubu. Arthur Eze, who is the richest Igbo man supported Tinubu. Otedola supported Tinubu. Tinubu is the natural choice for any Nigerian Billionaire, irrespective of ethnicity, because of what he brings to the table. If you were worth 500 million dollars, you'd support Tinubu. No billionaire chooses a populist over a social capitalist.

Yes, Tony Elumelu was Tinubu's salvation during the Naira scarcity and Tinubu had to pay him a visit to thank him in the evening at his home because what Tony Elumelu did was mad loyalty.

Now, even if Dangote did not support Tinubu ( Tinubu was his first choice), the FG would not deny his refinery crude oil just because of that.

The functionality of Dangote's refinery isn't just a shopping mall , a five star hotel or media house down the street that can be marked for destruction because of political betrayal. It's a facility that will determine the macro and micro economic graphs and indices of Nigeria.

I have been reading comments from you, freestuffng and your ilk; I'm tempted to say that you guys have some connections with the government of the day - paid or not. Ordinary observers are not usually versed in political and fiscal terms you bandy around like a pro.

Nawa o!

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by abhosts(m): 11:06am On Nov 29, 2023
kettykin:
So Tomy Elufelu funded APC running against his brother and statesman Ifeanyi Okowa , if this is true then the world record of betrayals has been beaten

It is not betrayal. Is Okowa the one fueling Elumelu's private jet?

The rich elites only play the ethnic and religious card when they want to scam poor and iliterate simpletons. They don't care about tribe.

4 Likes

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Paraman: 11:09am On Nov 29, 2023
Hollicom:
Last year, Nigeria's most successful businessman and richest person alive in the country, Aliko Dangote, had a meeting with his selected strategists.

The purpose of the meeting was simple.

To decide among the three presidential candidates, Aliko Danogte would support

The three candidates were

Peter Obi

Atiku Abubakar

Bola Ahmed Tinubu

The candidate's profile, merit, and demerit were analysed by the gentlemen seated in that room.

At the end of the meeting, the consensus was that Atiku Abubakar was a better option to back, and the reasons were not far-fetched.

Aside from the special chummy relationship between the businessman and Atiku, Atiku, who ironically clocked 77 today, is pro-business, is the right person for corporate business, and has the right skill set to reposition and revive the dead economy.

Also, the fact that the cabal around Tinubu was openly supporting Atiku made Dangote's decision very easy.

The calculation was that Atiku would win, and based on that, Dangote chose to pitch his tent with Atiku Abubakar by supporting his aspiration to become our president, which did not materialise on February 25.

It was said that Dangote donated money as well to Tinubu's camapign, which was his normal traditional custom to do, but his body language showed he preferred Atiku, whom he believed would have been a better president for businesses and the economy in Nigeria than Tinubu.

His arch rival and brother, Abdul Samad Rabiu of BUA Cement, chose to pitch his tent with Bola Ahmed Tinubu and did not donate money to Atiku Abubakar.

His first choice was Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

His second choice was Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Rabiu’s support was so personal that he donated his private jets for temporary use by TInubu’s people during the campaign.

Tinubu’s wife, Remi, and his aides were flying Rabiu’s private jets during the campaign.

The same is true of Tony Elumelu. It was said that Tony's UBA provided the much-needed cash for Tinubu's camp during the ill-fated cash crunch and scarcity before the election.

No wonder Tony was the first person Tinubu visited in Lagos as a president-elect.

Since Lagos is a very small place, news started flying around in a twinkle of an eye.

News got into the ears of Asiwaju that Nigeria's gift to the world, Dangote, is not supporting his aspiration; rather, he has pitched his tent with Atiku.

He was disappointed with the betrayal by Dangote.

Dangote built his wealth in Lagos, the Lagos he owns, and he has been supportive of Dangote's aspirations before now.

Dangote fully backing him would have been a way of paying back his generosity to him; not doing so is a big stab in the back.

That Dangote did not support him, but rather Atiku, was one of the reasons why Asiwaju stayed away when Dangote refinery was later commissioned by Buhari in the Lagos he owns.

The election is over.

Asiwaju is the president, and the chicken has come home to roost.

For the first time since the return of democracy in 1999, Dangote is not the favourite of a sitting government.

Abdul Samad Rabiu and Tony Elumelu have taken his position because they fully backed Asiwaju during the campaign.

“This is the first time the elected government is not particularly aligned with Aliko,” said one senior banker who spoke on condition of anonymity to the Financial Times. “So it has opened a window of opportunity for people to peddle their own influence.”

“Dangote is not as influential as he used to be,” said Ricardo Soares de Oliveira, an Oxford professor of the politics of Africa, who described the billionaire as a Nigerian oligarch. At a time when he had bet his fortune on the success of the refinery, that was not a comfortable position to be in, several close observers of Nigeria said.

Matthew Page, a former CIA expert on Nigeria, told the Financial Times that Rabiu donated heavily to the Tinubu election campaign and had been emboldened by his close relationship with the new president. The cement market was smaller after eight years of economic stagnation, he said. “The tide pool has shrunk, and the two biggest lobsters in the tank are snapping at each other.”

The biggest casualty from the politics of Dangote is his 650,000 per day Dangote refinery, which has been starved of crude oil by NNPC.

Before Asiwaju came in, Dangote had a binding agreement with NNPC.

The agreement was this:

That NNPC would invest $2 billion in Dangote refinery, or if they cannot invest in cash,they will provide crude oil worth that amount for Dangote refinery to process.

This investment will give NNPC a 20% stake in the Dangote refinery, while Dangote will keep the remaining 80%.

NNPC is too broke to drop $2 billion, so they choose to provide $2 billion worth of crude oil in lieu of the cash they were expected to drop so as to own a 20% stake in Dangote refinery.

But there is a problem.

Buhari, who was the president when the deal was sealed, is no longer in power.

The new Whiz kid is not a fan of Dangote any more, so the guys at NNPC saw the body language, which is the fact that Aliko has not visited Aso Rock since Tinubu relocated to Aso Rock, and they were influenced by that to start playing politics by fuffiling their own side of the bargain.

NNPC, which was at the mercy of Dangote when Buhari was in charge, turned to hard nuts to crack under Tinubu.

As of today, the reason why Dangote refinery has yet to refine any drop of crude oil is because NNPC has not supplied the facility with crude oil as they promised to do under the last government.

Frustrated by what NNPC is doing and the politics they are playing, Dangote's Indian manager was forced to say that the refinery would start importing crude oil from trading oil companies abroad since NNPC is not forthcoming.

The outburst was forced to move the hands of NNPC, and it worked as NNPC invited Dangote's guys to the negotiating table.

In a recent interview, Dangote admitted that the issue with NNPC has been solved and refined crude oil will flow soon from his refinery. He also remidned the sharks, circling and baying for his blood, saying that Dangote Refinry is bigger than him, in case they had forgotten.

Rabiu of BUA Cement has visited Aso Rock more than four times since Tinubu relocated to Aso Rock Villa.

The same is true of Tony Elemelu.

Dangote, the poster boy and darling of the previous Nigerian government, has not been invited once to come, and this speaks to how low he has fallen on the ladder.

He only went to inform Mr. President that Bill Gates was coming to town the next day for polio eradication.

Stories allegedly floated by BUA Group have accused Dangote of profiting from illegal foreign exchange trades worth billions of dollars.

This government is investigating forex allocations made to Aliko Dangote when Godwin Emefiele, the former central bank governor, was in charge of distributing dollars at the official rate to chosen industries at far below market prices, the Financial Times reported.

Dangote bet on the wrong horse during the last national election, and now the sharks are circling and are baying for his blood and his multibillion-dollar business empire as well.
This is a lie

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Babangidapikin: 11:10am On Nov 29, 2023
What does Asiwaju of Nigeria that he said mean during the commissioning of his refinery ... All of you and your Chochocho ...Another BUA-HAHA mix tape...

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by PARADIZEPRIEST: 12:16pm On Nov 29, 2023
U you staunch tribaiist continue to wail in silence with your manipulative thread,after you old baba nearly destroyed this country economically with tribalmens with dumb heads as ministers,you didnt do analysis on that failure.Look you have had your fcccking turn'o for 15yrs, now after Jagaban second term,IGBOS WILL HAVE THEIR TURN TOO.
So stop writing gibberish and go face your book,read and become educated grin
Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Fortune109: 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2023
OP from BUA...
first to comment from Dangote...

Wahala!
Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by AcademicWriter: 2:14pm On Nov 29, 2023
All these beer parlour gossip.....

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by Difrent: 2:19pm On Nov 29, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:

You too Sabi them

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by IVORY2009(m): 2:27pm On Nov 29, 2023
Beer parlor gossip 😉

1 Like

Re: Dangote Bet On The Wrong Choice In The Presidential Election Race by AustineE1: 2:51pm On Nov 29, 2023
KingOfAllIgbos:

Let me help you. Wouldn't meet you on Twitter X

Will meet you physically.

I can bet anything you just shartt your pants and you are scrambling for your wife's skirts now grin
hahaha funny enough...can anybody fear fighting a Yoruba man physically?i doubt if any Nigerian will take you serious for obvious reasons.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obama: The Man Who Fooled The World / Additional Strategies The Biafrans Should Have Adopted To Win The War!!!!!!!!!!! / The Coming War Between Egypt And Ethiopia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.