Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,967 members, 7,852,259 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:48 PM

Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget (43776 Views)

Peter Obi Compares Nigeria’s Budget, Poverty Rate With China’s. Is He Correct? / Here Are The 10 Ministries Planning To Spend 86% Of Nigeria’s Budget In 2024 / 75% Of Nigeria’s Budget Lost To Corruption – Forensic Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by OmoGomesIlorin: 9:36am On Nov 30, 2023
abdeefggh:
We have a long way to go

If we compare the foriegn debt of these countries you will realise that we fared better
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 9:45am On Nov 30, 2023
Elsueno:

Yeah 33 billion dollar isn't much for Nigerians, BUT ~$500K IS ok for ag@bado boss to spend on hotels in New work ba

That's why I said we also need to fight corruption

P.s : thanks for insinuating I support the corrupt APC and putting words in my mouth. Haba oga!
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 9:46am On Nov 30, 2023
Ikinternational:

This is stupid
Way to add stupidity to the thread
Clap for yourself

I don't recall insulting you, so why should you insult me?

Giod mornings and try to be more courteous, my daughter
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 9:48am On Nov 30, 2023
DeepSight:

The only reason our budget remains that poor - and I repeat with emphasis - the ONLY reason is our unthinkable political corruption. An oil producing country which has no working refineries for almost two decades speaks for itself. Let me also assure you that the theft of this country's resources is beyond the obvious. Those who collude with politicians to quietly steal solid minerals are there. Those who have deliberately sabotaged the power sector are there. If you think the subsidy was just a normal thing that had to go because "Nigerians are lazy" then you dont understand the depth of what transpires in this country. A subsidy that was only about 300 billion some years ago became over six trillion and you dont understand that a mafia was at work. The only reason it has been seized now is simply because Bretton Woods institutions will not continue loaning our political elite money to steal at that level. There are natural subsidies in every country. Its the extreme and even demonic theft of ours that has forced this situation.

Again, if you dont know that all the savings from the removal of subsidy in Nigeria will still be voraciously stolen by politicians, then you dont know Nigeria.

In Nigeria there are roads projects that have been financed by every government since Obasanjo's - and remain untouched. That level of theft should tell you the matter really rests with political corruption. Now that the cookie is crumbling or rather the cookie jar has so shrunk that there is little to steal, they wish to shift the burden to the poor.

Also, like someone pointed out up there, the true measure of a country's wealth is its GDP and not its budget. With our GDP, which has even been dropping, we can have a far bigger budget than 33 Bn. We can grow that GDP very fast also - exponentially even.

My dear, in Nigeria, taxing the people more is also no solution to political corruption. If you dont know that such tax will still disappear and yet Nigerians will move on, then you still dont know your country. Mind you, I dont say dont tax - I simply point out that it will not do jack to corruption.

1. Yeah which is why I have said we need to fight corruption

2. At best, if there is no stealing we can earn 70 to 80 billion dollars. Not enough for a country our size

3. Which is why we need to fight corruption
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 9:50am On Nov 30, 2023
Available9:

Algeria produces about 4 times more oil than we do but Algeria is not 4 times more corrupt like Nigeria...

Read the bolded part again and reconsider your comment

Algeria also has one quarter to a fifth of our population

Also,like. I have said several times elsewhere, we got to fight corruption,so stop assuming I didn't say so
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:51am On Nov 30, 2023
Phantom233:

And who said it's only in Nigeria that they loot? But certainly the level and rate of corruption in Nigeria is a case study in heaven .
This is not true at all!

They loot in Nigeria but the looting in USA makes ours look like kindergarten. But it’s because we are poor it looks like they are looting all the money in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Monday60655(m): 9:51am On Nov 30, 2023
Phantom233:
It's not about how much you budget but what you actually do with the money. Even if we're given 500billion dollars yearly, our extremly corrupt and wicked Apc political rulers and Allies will reloot the monies without any tangible results

God bless you for saying the truth.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 9:56am On Nov 30, 2023
NOETHNICITY:
This is not true at all!

They loot in Nigeria but the looting in USA makes ours look like kindergarten. But it’s because we are poor it looks like they are looting all the money in Nigeria.

USA has better checks and balances, so looting really is not as bad as Nigeria

Also, most states in the USA rely heavily on investment from abroad ( a governor in the US was regarded as good because he attracted international investment to his state in record numbers. He was even suggested as a future presidential candidate, but he said no). Corrupt practices would harm that.

Then most states and the us government rely heavily on taxes. A corrupt leader stealing money like in Nigeria would be guillotined ( okay, just joking. He or she would just be jailed for a long time). People get mad when their money is stolen. Americans also don't like paying taxes and grudgingly do so. Stealing is a nice way to make yourself look evil and disgusting.

Nigeria is an oil dependent country. Tax base is small compared to the USA. Stealing is a lot easier
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 10:35am On Nov 30, 2023
Princewill1:
Largest Economies In Africa 2023:

1. Nigeria
GDP- 477B dollar
Budget- 33B

2. Egypt
GDP- 475B
Budget- 97B

3. South Africa
GDP- 405B
Budget- 132B

4. Algeria
GDP- 195B
Budget- 98B

This is simply because Nigeria is collecting lesser taxes despite having bigger economy. And also unlike other countries, Nigeria runs a federal system of govt with components states having their own budgets.

nairalanda1:

Harsh truth

As the World Bank said in 2019, most Nigerians do not pay taxes to state and Federal govenrment

But because na world bank say am, people prefer to attack the messenger.

Meanwhile in the UK, they are so harsh on tax avoiders. Avoid paying TV licence for example, and you could get into trobule.

casualobserver:

1.Algeria doesn’t produce 4 times the oil we produce. They actually produce a lot less than us. Their official OPEC quota is half that of Nigeria.

2. Those figures for Nigeria are actually wrong because they are federal budget and don’t include states. If you include states it is more like $65b

3: It is not about diversified economy, Nigeria is actually a very diversified economy., it is about the fact that Nigerians do not pay the same levels of taxes as in these countries and we tend to generate most of govt revenue from oil royalties…though this is changing . Whereas other countries generate most of their monies from taxes.

taxes is not where other countries get money.. other countries get money from tourism, exporting of aeroplanes, cars, trucks, food, oil e.t.c just like Nigeria is already doing.

Nigerians are already paying more than enough taxes..

If 50million people are employed and the minimum wage is 80,000 naira and are each paying taxes of 20,000 naira to the government.

that's 20,000 naira ( $20 ) x 50million people is equal to $1billion and if you add $1billion to the current it does not really do much.

so this proves that taxing the people is not the solution to increasing Nigeria's budget.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 10:41am On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

taxes is not where other countries get money.. other countries get money from tourism, exporting of aeroplanes, cars, trucks, food, oil e.t.c just like Nigeria is already doing.

If 50million people are employed and the minimum wage is 80,000 naira and are each paying taxes of 20,000 naira to the government.

that's 20,000 naira ( $20 ) x 50million people is equal to $1billion and if you add $1billion to the current it does not really do much.

so this proves that taxing the people is not the solution to increasing Nigeria's budget.

Unfortunately it is, and your assertion that most countries do not earn money from taxes at all is wrong. (US, UK, many European countries, even Japan and China would disagree with you).

Plus, you mishear me. TAXES is one of several measures I propound on this thread, the others being fighting corruption , diversifying the economy and so forth. Ye should stop getting fixed on the tax bit of my message.

Plus, our oil revenue per year is just about 70 -90 billion dollars. We need something like trillions of dollars before we can talk.

And too bad APC hasn't done anything about it since 2015.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 10:44am On Nov 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

Unfortunately it is, and your assertion that most countries do not earn money from taxes at all is wrong. (US, UK, many European countries, even Japan and China would disagree with you).

Plus, you mishear me. TAXES is one of several measures I propound on this thread, the others being fighting corruption , diversifying the economy and so forth. Ye should stop getting fixed on the tax bit of my message.

Plus, our oil revenue per year is just about 70 -90 billion dollars. We need something like trillions of dollars before we can talk.

And too bad APC hasn't done anything about it since 2015.

It is not taxes..

you cannot compare taxes of countries due to the strength of the currency of the countries..

No one knows if Nigeria is still paying colonial taxes to the british because that $33billion budget is obviously a scam when the same Nigeria has the highest GDP in Africa..
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 10:46am On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

It is not taxes..

you cannot compare taxes of countries due to the strength of the currency of the countries..

No one knows if Nigeria is still paying colonial taxes to the british because that $33billion budget is obviously a scam when the same Nigeria has the highest GDP in Africa..

Like I said, more taxes is one of the things we need.

Our oil money is not enough, man, even if we fight corruption adequately.

You are free to disagree with me, but if you think that 70% of the population not paying taxes is all right, okay. Na your choice. But we got to reduce our loan habits, and short term taxes is the way to go, long term, diversification, fighting corruption and becoming a manufacturer of goods and services and exporting them.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by casualobserver: 10:47am On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

Please don’t quote me to make ignorant uninformed comments. Tourism doesn’t bring money to any government. Tourism, exports, etc are just like any other industry. It is taxes on activities, employees etc that brings revenue. The income generated by the industry goes to the operators. If you don’t tax them you make nothing from it no matter how many foreigners come or how many goods you export. If I export $10m worth of goods, it is my money not the government’s. The most the government can do is say I repatriate my foreign income at the official rate and put in in a dom account. The money is not theirs!!! So how has my exporting $10m worth of good increased govt revenues? It is only when they tax me that they get revenue from my activities and even then, I will pay my taxes in Naira not in forex. The purpose of encouraging exports is to boost forex availability in the system, the money doesn’t belong to the government unless it is the government’s property that is being exported e.g oil or gas.

You are confusing forex with taxes…go and learn basic economics. Govt revenue is from taxes. Exchange rate is from demand and supply of forex. The only reason govt gets a lot of forex from Oil is because govt owns the oil. Will the government own the tourism or the export industries…so why will any forex generated belong to them? Forex inflows determine exchange rates, govt taxes determine govt revenues. Unless you are proposing that government owns businesses the tourism and export sectors.

Go and learn the difference between forex and government revenues or better still go and do a course in economics before commenting on matters above your pay grade.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 11:11am On Nov 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

Like I said, more taxes is one of the things we need.

Our oil money is not enough, man, even if we fight corruption adequately.

You are free to disagree with me, but if you think that 70% of the population not paying taxes is all right, okay. Na your choice. But we got to reduce our loan habits, and short term taxes is the way to go, long term, diversification, fighting corruption and becoming a manufacturer of goods and services and exporting them.

In my previous comment I used 50million people but 70% of 200m is 140m people.

so if 140m people pay tax of at least $20 that is still $2.8billion and won't boost the budget by $100billion.

so you're wrong that taxes is the solution.

kukutenla already quoted you with the right question..

that $33b budget is what they are showing to the public. the real budget will be over $120b.

Kukutenla:

But you have to first lie that Algeria produces more oil than we do. The question to ask is how nigeria has more GDP than all these countries if we are indeed poor and oil dependent.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Hotice085: 11:14am On Nov 30, 2023
WannaHowzit:

Tell those drunk & junkie women you🇳🇬👎🏾 can only afford a $33billion budget for 250million people while SA🇿🇦🏆 spends $132billion on 60 million people.

Do you see misplaced priorities 🤣🇳🇬💩💩💩💩 (well deserved poop emojis for you and Japageria)

And we are still Number 1 in Africa, all of you are human waste, bunch of lazy idoits who only depends on handout and when it runs out you go about stealing from Us
What a curse people
* Fool says we are 250million as counted by a Zulu*
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 11:19am On Nov 30, 2023
casualobserver:

Please don’t quote me to make ignorant uninformed comments. Tourism doesn’t bring money to any government. Tourism, exports, etc are just like any other industry. It is taxes on activities, employees etc that brings revenue. The income generated by the industry goes to the operators. If you don’t tax them you make nothing from it no matter how many foreigners come or how many goods you export. If I export $10m worth of goods, it is my money not the government’s. The most the government can do is say I repatriate my foreign income at the official rate and put in in a dorm account. The money is not theirs!!! So how has my exporting $10m worth of good increased govt revenues? It is only when they tax me that they get revenue from my activities and even then, I will pay my taxes in Naira not in forex. The purpose of encouraging exports is to boost forex availability in the system, the money doesn’t belong to the government unless it is the government’s property that is being exported e.g oil or gas.

You are confusing forex with taxes…go and learn basic economics. Govt revenue is from taxes. Exchange rate is from demand and supply of forex. The only reason govt gets a lot of forex from Oil is because govt owns the oil. Will the government own the tourism or the export industries…so why will any forex generated belong to them? Forex inflows determine exchange rates, govt taxes determine govt revenues. Unless you are proposing that government owns businesses the tourism and export sectors,

Go and learn the difference between forex and government revenues or better still go and do a course in economics before commenting on matters above your pay grade.

you are the ignorant one.

If a country gets 2 million tourists per year and those tourists spend at least $1000 each that's over $2b just from tourism.

if you export $10m worth of goods before you export you'll pay fees and licenses to the Nigerian customs..

after you successfully export the goods and the buyer has received and now paid $10m the $10m and other revenues you make will the taxed by the government at the end of your company's financial year before that $10m reaches your account the banks would take own fee and percentage for processing the transaction.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 11:20am On Nov 30, 2023
tsdarkside:

its not only about votin the right president....

its about the system....
if you cant find somebody that will force the ol system to change then it will not matter who you vote....
things will remain the same....
for example....why is it that states that produce oyel can only keep 13%....??

shouldnt it be the other way around....??
its the federal goverment that should be gettin 13% and the oyel producin states keep the rest....
but try to suggest that and see how fight will start....

It used to be 50% before the 1966 coup. it was the coup plotters that abolished it.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by casualobserver: 11:28am On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

you are the ignorant one.

If a country gets 2 million tourists per year and those tourists spend at least $1000 each that's over $2b just from tourism.
if you export $10m worth of goods before you export you'll pay fees and licenses to the Nigerian customs..

after you successfully export the goods and the buyer has received and now paid $10m the $10m and other revenues you make will the taxed by the government at the end of your company's financial year before that $10m reaches your account the banks would take own fee and percentage for processing the transaction.

Like I said you are ignorant and uninformed.

Who owns the $2b gained from tourism in your example? Is it the government that owns the hotels, the restaurants, the beaches the taxis they use? So if you do not tax the people that make money from tourists how does this $2b in tourism income translate to govt revenues besides visa fees? Does the foreigner come to Nigeria and say “Mr President please take $1000 as a tourist?” Or does he go to Aboki and change his $1000to Naira and his money disappears into the system?

As for your second paragraph, you are again displaying your ignorance. That $10m is my money not the government’s. Like I said the only thing the government can do is to mandate that I repatriate the money at the official exchange rate and that I keep the money in a domicialry account. It is not their money. At the end of the year I will file my accounts and I will pay taxes to the government IN NAIRA! NONE OF THAT $10m belongs to or goes to the government. . All I do is add to the supply of forex in the country but it is not governments money!!! It means that because I have brought back $10m to the country, when you need forex there is more forex in the system and the price comes down. Nothing to do with government revenues. The government does not see 1cent of the $10m.

We are talking about government revenues here not the economy. Like I said earlier do not comment on matters you do not understand.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 11:39am On Nov 30, 2023
casualobserver:

Like I said you are ignorant and uninformed.

Who owns the $2b gained from tourism in your example? Is it the government that owns the hotels, the restaurants, the beaches the taxis they use? So if you do not tax the people that make money from tourists how does this $2b in tourism income translate to govt revenues besides visa fees?

As for your second paragraph, you are again displaying your ignorance. That $10m is my money not the government’s. Like I said the only thing the government can do is to mandate that I repatriate the money at the official exchange rate and that I keep the money in a domicialry account. It is not their money. At the end of the year I will file my accounts and I will pay taxes to the government IN NAIRA! NONE OF THAT $10m belongs to or goes to the government. . All I do is add to the supply of forex in the country but it is not governments money!!! It means that because I have brought back $10m to the country, when you need forex there is more forex in the system and the price comes down. Nothing to do with government revenues. The government does not see 1cent of the $10m.

We are talking about government revenues here not the economy. Like I said earlier do not comment on matters you do not understand.

tourists pay VAT on products they buy, In some countries the govt also owns or has stake in hotels, restaurants and beaches.

In Nigeria, the government owns schools, universities, hospitals, parks e.t.c.. when you patronize a government facility it is government you're paying.

you are displaying ignorance.. $10m is not your money after deductions and fees have been collected by banks and the government. when you pay tax at the end of the year the government takes another percentage of the $10m.

If $10m reaches your account the banks will inform the government.

you're very ignorant...
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 11:45am On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

so if 140m people pay tax of at least $20 that is still $2.8billion and won't boost the budget by $100billion.

that $33b budget is what they are showing to the public. the real budget will be over $120b.

Even then, old chaps, the 120bn is not enough for a country our size....which is what I have been trying to tell you guys on this site...APC, PDP, NNPP, LP, ETC supporters.

The fact is, Nigeria even at 120bn naira is still a poor broke oil nation. We should be, and this is why I consider most Nigerian leaders (Ironsi and Murtala were not in power long enough) to be awful. We should be earning something like 4 trillion DOLLARS at least, 10 trillion DOLALRS at most.

We got a lot of natural resources, a large GDP that is undertaxed, and a large industrial potential. We don't use it, instead we fritter around oil and pretend as if it is enough. It isn't. We can't even be like UAE or Saudi because our large population means that we got a poor revenue to gdp ratio

Then the corruption makes it damm worse. Really worse.

Even the budget APC called out today, 22 trillion. Our debt meanwhile is 50 trillion naira. Debt servicing is taking away 8 trillion of the budget this year, and the debt is still growing. States too all owe money. And we pretend we got enough money. cheesy.

That is the purpose of my economic comments on this site...to tell Nigerians that we have been doing things wrong for years, and we need to do what the big boys are doing...fighting corruption, paying more in tax, diversifying the economy, and earning more by exporting manufactured goods and servicies. That's what we got to do. And if we remove subsides on power and petrol (Tinubu has not removed subsides on petrol, despite what he and his supporters say).....we free up the sectors to power the possible industrial revolution.

The thing is, whether 33 bn or 120 billion, we are still broke. Call me when we have 4 trillion dollars at least (not naira), and an exporting industrial economy,and jailing people for steraling money that is when we are serious.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by casualobserver: 11:47am On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

tourists pay VAT on products they buy, In some countries the govt also owns or has stake in hotels, restaurants and beaches.

Did I not say from the beginning that government’s make moment from taxes? Do they pay VAT in forex? Who owns the forex they bring in?

In Nigeria, the government owns schools, universities, hospitals, parks e.t.c.. when you patronize a government facility it is government you're paying.

You are clutching at straws.

you are displaying ignorance.. $10m is not your money after deductions and fees have been collected by banks and the government. when you pay tax at the end of the year the government takes another percentage of the $10m.

If $10m reaches your account the banks will inform the government.

Inform the government and take my money? I spend money on raw material to produce goods that I export and sell for $10m, my profit is $1m…even if it is $5m and the way you were brought up and your education is saying to you the govt owns the $10m I received in sales? What if I made a loss? Guy at this stage, I have to apologize, you are not ignorant and uninformed, you are daft! I warned you at the beginning g not to quote me with ignorance, now I say do not quote me with buffooonery. This thing is not just above your pay grade, it is clearly above your IQ

you're very ignorant...
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:50am On Nov 30, 2023
pocom35:

You are the one that is helping them to steal..I guess that's why you can tell it's 70%
Also majority of government workers are crooks from Perm Secs to Managers and Directors. They have stolen millions for the past 50 years and given to their children.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:57am On Nov 30, 2023
bayelsaowei:
that dashboard shows there is a direct relation between budgets and a country's productivity..

We are highly non productive reason why our budget is that small compared to our population... take a look at Algeria..

Very very unproductive. That's why population is recklessly increasing because they are copulating and giving birth to a lot of children due to lots and lots of idle time. They are not engaged in meaningful productive activities but rather engaged in bedmatic activities and talks about bedmatic activities.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Kukutenla: 12:00pm On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

Where are you people getting this lies that 70% of Nigerians don't pay tax?
People just sit in their rooms and make assumptions. Even artisans, hairdressers pay tax in Nigeria. I know because I've mediated in tax issues between an hairdresser and her association. You guys need to get your facts right. Nigerians pay tax. Our leaders are just not accountable and transparent.
Look for example at indebted states released this morning. The highest debtors states in Nigeria are the highest IGR generating states. How does that make sense?
Nigeria's biggest issue is corruption
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 12:03pm On Nov 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

Even then, old chaps, the 120bn is not enough for a country our size....which is what I have been trying to tell you guys on this site...APC, PDP, NNPP, LP, ETC supporters.

The fact is, Nigeria even at 120bn naira is still a poor broke oil nation. We should be, and this is why I consider most Nigerian leaders (Ironsi and Murtala were not in power long enough) to be awful. We should be earning something like 4 trillion DOLLARS at least, 10 trillion DOLALRS at most.

We got a lot of natural resources, a large GDP that is undertaxed, and a large industrial potential. We don't use it, instead we fritter around oil and pretend as if it is enough. It isn't. We can't even be like UAE or Saudi because our large population means that we got a poor revenue to gdp ratio

Then the corruption makes it damm worse. Really worse.

Even the budget APC called out today, 22 trillion. Our debt meanwhile is 50 trillion naira. Debt servicing is taking away 8 trillion of the budget this year, and the debt is still growing. States too all owe money. And we pretend we got enough money. cheesy.

That is the purpose of my economic comments on this site...to tell Nigerians that we have been doing things wrong for years, and we need to do what the big boys are doing...fighting corruption, paying more in tax, diversifying the economy, and earning more by exporting manufactured goods and servicies. That's what we got to do. And if we remove subsides on power and petrol (Tinubu has not removed subsides on petrol, despite what he and his supporters say).....we free up the sectors to power the possible industrial revolution.

The thing is, whether 33 bn or 120 billion, we are still broke. Call me when we have 4 trillion dollars at least (not naira), and an exporting industrial economy,and jailing people for steraling money that is when we are serious.

Ironsi was in power long enough to cause 100year plus problems.

Nigeria and other black African countries can never make up to $4trillion dollars because of weak currencies and anti-Nigerian deals signed with colonial thieves..

Nigeria does not own a working refinery because that means the foreign refineries Nigeria patronizes will lose billions of $$ in revenue
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Kukutenla: 12:08pm On Nov 30, 2023
casualobserver:

Please don’t quote me to make ignorant uninformed comments. Tourism doesn’t bring money to any government. Tourism, exports, etc are just like any other industry. It is taxes on activities, employees etc that brings revenue. The income generated by the industry goes to the operators. If you don’t tax them you make nothing from it no matter how many foreigners come or how many goods you export. If I export $10m worth of goods, it is my money not the government’s. The most the government can do is say I repatriate my foreign income at the official rate and put in in a dom account. The money is not theirs!!! So how has my exporting $10m worth of good increased govt revenues? It is only when they tax me that they get revenue from my activities and even then, I will pay my taxes in Naira not in forex. The purpose of encouraging exports is to boost forex availability in the system, the money doesn’t belong to the government unless it is the government’s property that is being exported e.g oil or gas.

You are confusing forex with taxes…go and learn basic economics. Govt revenue is from taxes. Exchange rate is from demand and supply of forex. The only reason govt gets a lot of forex from Oil is because govt owns the oil. Will the government own the tourism or the export industries…so why will any forex generated belong to them? Forex inflows determine exchange rates, govt taxes determine govt revenues. Unless you are proposing that government owns businesses the tourism and export sectors.

Your claim on tourism is wrong. US, UK, Israel, Saudi and other countries all over the world run and maintain tourism sites were they generate money. An easy example is pilgrimage to both Saudi and Israel. This religious tourism are run by the govt of both countries.
For export, just like Nigeria's oil, there are export activities that can also generate revenue for govt without necessarily being tax. An example happened during covid when US sold ventilators to some countries. So it's not strictly tax alone that give makes revenue off.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 12:12pm On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

Ironsi was in power long enough to cause 100year plus problems.

Which were the result of attempting to solve issues that came from the whole first republic imbroglio, and then no matter what, Nzeogwu is to be ultimately blamed.

Nigeria and other black African countries can never make up to $4trillion dollars because of weak currencies and anti-Nigerian deals signed with colonial thieves..

Which is an excuse by the way.

We are weak because we don't want to do the things like improve our tax regime, fight corruption and work hard to becoming a manufacturer of goods and servicies.

(Malaysia and Indonesia too are former colonies. Better than us, though not the best, because they did the hard work. China was once worse than Senegal).

The thing is, independence was sold on the idea that there would be more money for the black majority. Problem was, it was a lie. But the thing is doing the hard work china did and even many european countries did to get industrial was going to mean more suffering...so the alternative was mass 'socialist' welfare projects...which led to us getting into debt because trying to help too many people on limited money is a nice way of going broke.

Not jsut Nigeria...Venezuela and Argentina have the same issues.

Nigeria does not own a working refinery because that means the foreign refineries Nigeria patronizes will lose billions of $$ in revenue

Not true.

We don't have a refinery because since 1973, we have sold oil at a loss...and that means no profit...which promotes corruption, sabotage and stealing in the refineries, because free government money was still coming in whether the refineries worked or not.

Foreign investors would have loved it if Nigeria was not subsidising fuel at all...infact one of our early refineries was built with help from Shell. Back then we did not subsidise fuel.

Niger republic our neighbour has a working refinery as does chad. Both built with foreign investment from China, because in both countires, they sell fuel above the market price, and thus a profit is made, attracting investors.

No investor is going to come and build a refinery in Nigeria. Refine fuel above N900 AND sell it at N700 and below? Right.

Venezuela has been selling fuel for N40 for decades. In that time they lost refining capacity drastically. And the process started before their goverment became anti-American so don't blame them for that.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 12:29pm On Nov 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

Which were the result of attempting to solve issues that came from the whole first republic imbroglio, and then no matter what, Nzeogwu is to be ultimately blamed.

Which is an excuse by the way.

We are weak because we don't want to do the things like improve our tax regime, fight corruption and work hard to becoming a manufacturer of goods and servicies.

(Malaysia and Indonesia too are former colonies. Better than us, though not the best, because they did the hard work. China was once worse than Senegal).

The thing is, independence was sold on the idea that there would be more money for the black majority. Problem was, it was a lie. But the thing is doing the hard work china did and even many european countries did to get industrial was going to mean more suffering...so the alternative was mass 'socialist' welfare projects...which led to us getting into debt because trying to help too many people on limited money is a nice way of going broke.

Not jsut Nigeria...Venezuela and Argentina have the same issues.

Not true.

We don't have a refinery because since 1973, we have sold oil at a loss...and that means no profit...which promotes corruption, sabotage and stealing in the refineries, because free government money was still coming in whether the refineries worked or not.

Foreign investors would have loved it if Nigeria was not subsidising fuel at all...infact one of our early refineries was built with help from Shell. Back then we did not subsidise fuel.

Niger republic our neighbour has a working refinery as does chad. Both built with foreign investment from China, because in both countires, they sell fuel above the market price, and thus a profit is made, attracting investors.

No investor is going to come and build a refinery in Nigeria. Refine fuel above N900 AND sell it at N700 and below? Right.

Venezuela has been selling fuel for N40 for decades. In that time they lost refining capacity drastically. And the process started before their goverment became anti-American so don't blame them for that.

there was nothing to solve from the 1st republic. Ironsi, Azikiwe, Ojukwu and Nzeogwu were both corrupt and did not have any form of inteligence.

In the mid 1900s, Nigeria naira was between 1.25 to 3.25 naira to $1. it has nothing to do with improving tax regime. right now, Nigeria's budget is N33trillion so imagine if the currency was still the way it was in the mid 1900s that N33trillion budget will be equal to $33trillion.

Nigeria does not have a working refinery because Nigeria is led by "house n*ggas" and eu:ropean puppets and slaves.
Nigeria makes over $80billion from selling raw crude oil and can make over $150billion from selling refined crude oil.
a black majority country making over $150b is an abomination to whyte people who control world economics.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by nairalanda1(m): 12:36pm On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

there was nothing to solve from the 1st republic. Ironsi, Azikiwe, Ojukwu and Nzeogwu were both corrupt and did not have any form of inteligence.

There were a lot of issues. (To discuss them is another topic)

s N33trillion so imagine if the currency was still the way it was in the mid 1900s that N33trillion budget will be equal to $33trillion.
In the mid 1900s, Nigeria naira was between 1.25 to 3.25 naira to $1. it has nothing to do with improving tax regime. right now, Nigeria's budget i

Yes, and our forex needs were low, manufacturing was done inhouse, plus from 1973-82, we had high revenues from oil due to OPEC price increases. Enough to subsidize the naira

When oil prices crashed, it went to pieces.

Even then, most people were not rich or living well by the way...

Nigeria does not have a working refinery because Nigeria is led by "house n*ggas" and eu:ropean puppets and slaves.
Nigeria makes over $80billion from selling raw crude oil and can make over $150billion from selling refined crude oil.
a black majority country making over $150b is an abomination to whyte people who control world economics.

Like I said, in 2011, oil was being sold at N65, while it cost over N100 to refine the same liter, even if we took away the fact that we shipped it from abroad and refined it here. Who would refine at a loss.

Or if you were a baker, would you bake bread at the cost of N1000 a loaf, and sell it at N200 a loaf ? Would you keep on doing so if your cost rose to N1800 a loaf...?

The above is why we don't have refineries, and why power supply is bad. No one is going to refine fuel and sell it at a loss to help poor people.

Only countries like Saudi and co can do it because they earn higher oil revneues. Venezuela is in debt, and has ruined its refining capacity because they insisit on selling fuel at N40 a liter.

Meanwhile if we kept fuel at N97 a liter since 2012, costs of subsidizing it would have jumped up from N2 per liter to somewhere around N560-1000 a liter. Guess where the money to pay for the subsides would come from. The budget. The resulting deficit is plugged by...LOANS.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Princewill1(m): 12:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
codemaniacs:

We are talking more of corporate taxes here not just only personal income tax. Nigeria has one of the notorious laxed tax laws with lots of loopholes to evade or aviod tax. If you properly and strictly tax Nigeria's $477b economy, you will generate enough revenue to fund over 100b budgets annually.

Where did South Africa got 132b to fund their annual budget while having a 405b economy?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by codemaniacs: 12:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
Elsueno:
To be honest, I still don't think we are even up to 150 million in this country...So many things just doesn't make sense with that 200 mil stuff

Nigeria is not up to 60 million... the world slavery bank and international slavery fund are inflating the figure to make Nigeria's currency weak and keep Nigerians in bondage.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by casualobserver: 12:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
Kukutenla:

Your claim on tourism is wrong. US, UK, Israel, Saudi and other countries all over the world run and maintain tourism sites were they generate money. An easy example is pilgrimage to both Saudi and Israel. This religious tourism are run by the govt of both countries.
For export, just like Nigeria's oil, there are export activities that can also generate revenue for govt without necessarily being tax. An example happened during covid when US sold ventilators to some countries. So it's not strictly tax alone that give makes revenue off.

I have already responded and I do not wish to repeat myself.

There is a difference between the economy and the government. I think you people are conflating the 2. There is also a difference between sources of forex to the economy and sources of government revenue.

I have already made myself clear. Governments all over the world make money from taxes in one form or another. Governments seek to boost the economy because. The bigger the economy, the more the taxes they can collect.

The tourist who brings his $1000 to Nigeria does not arrive at the airport and say here government this is my $1000 add it to your government revenue. He sells it to someone who needs dollars and spends the Naira he receives In the economy. It is the places where he spends that Naira that the government taxes In the form of levies, fees, permits income tax company tax etc. as soon as that tourist enters Nigeria he becomes like any other Nigerian. He is spending Naira just like any other Nigerian. My point from the start is that if govt is not plugging tax leakages in the economy, e.g restaurants patronized by tourists then the extra economic activity brought into the economy by tourists will not translate into increased govt revenue. All that will happen is the exchange rate will improve and beside charges like visa fees etc, govt will not see much of the revenue brought in by tourists.

The misconception is that any income from exports or tourism goes straight to the government. The only reason why in the case of oil and gas all income goes to the government is because THEY OWN IT.
Govt does not own the forex of a private individual or organization. Government wants you to bring in forex not to own it but to help the exchange rate. Govt does not make any money simply because I bring forex into the country. To prove this, diaspora remittance into Nigeria has been more than our oil revenues for the last 4 years. It hasn’t affected government revenues. It can’t because it is not their money.

Your tourism examples are bad examples. I do t understand what you are trying to say by saying countries have tourism sites…what is the point of that? Every country wants to promote tourism. Plus the US govt does not make anything. A lot of their aid is done to boost their companies. If they donate medicines to you, they know they know it will benefit their local pharmaceutical companies. The purpose of tourism is to bring additional customers for your industries. Hotels airlines. restaurants etc not that the money from tourists go directly to the government. The more your industries boom the more taxes you collect…but only if they are actually paying taxes. Otherwise you have a booming economy and low govt revenues. Again It is important to understand the difference between the economy and the government. Boosting the economy does not mean you are boosting government revenues if your tax collection system is plagued with poor compliance and collection.

This whole thing is about increasing and sources of govt revenue. If you are exporting and the govt is not receiving taxes, your economy will grow but your government income will not grow. All the benefit will go to the private sector which is what we have in Nigeria. If tourists are coming to your country, your exchange rate will benefit, your economy will benefit but tourists do not spend dollars, they spend Naira. Therefore if you do not plug your tax collection leakages, the economy will benefit but govt revenues will not see a corresponding benefit.

What I see here is a misunderstanding between the economy, the government, government revenues and foreign exchange and currency stability and the interplay between them.

Tourism and exports are part of the domestic economy, an exporter, a hotelier, a restaurant are businesses just like any other Nigerian business except they have the potential for foreign customers. When you say tourism, it is the same hotel that you and I go they will go to and they will spend Naira not forex. As far as the business that provides the service to the tourist, it is a Naira transaction but influx of tourists simply increase volume of business. As far as the man who manufactures, he manufactures just like every other manufacturer except he has foreign customers. If the government was not collecting the right amount of taxes from these businesses when they didn’t have foreign customers. The level of government revenue will not increase simple because. They now have more business in the form of tourists and exports. All that will happen like I said is that the exchange rate will improve and the economy will improve.

The real issue is we are not collecting the right amount of taxes corresponding to a $440b economy, tourism or no tourism, exports or no exports. It is the same people who are not paying the right taxes today, that will benefit from improved economic activity from increased exports and tourism activities that won’t pay taxes unless govt plugs the holes. So unless we plug the current loopholes, all exports and tourism will do is improve the economy and exchange rate. Like I said, though linked, exchange rate is different from the economy and is different from govt or govt revenues. It is how well we are able to link them together. And so far we’ve not done well. If we improve the tax loopholes, there is more scope for increased govt revenue than tourism or exports can bring to Nigeria.

Finally on tourism, Nigeria has not got what it takes to be a destination for foreign tourists in the near to medium future. All this talk of tourism is just theory. We haven’t got the infrastructure or the hospitality culture and even if we started today and are, serious it would take a decade to make Nigeria semi-attractive to foreign tourists. Even those of us in Nigeria dread to travel internally. If I wasn’t a Nigerian I wouldn’t come to Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Amaechi Has Lost Decorum, Says Presidency / Martin Elechi Bowing To Greet Governor Umahi (Photo) / Photos: Two Nigerian Newspapers Make March 28 Projections

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 150
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.