Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,916 members, 7,835,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 (42670 Views)

Igbo Language Spoken In Equatorial Guinea / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by jojothaiv(m): 12:59pm On Dec 08, 2023
Badagry is well represented too
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Higherthan: 1:00pm On Dec 08, 2023
ShangTsung000:

You should also know that Igbos are more enlightened than the Yorubas. We develop our areas and theirs too. They should also learn to appreciate too.
Igbos the chest beating gorillas, eaters of human flesh, wakers of their father with sidekicks grin cheesy
Developers of Asian prison grin

2 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:01pm On Dec 08, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

Are the agberos of Lagos going to the US?

Are the touts of Nkpor going?

Take a chill pill, man!

Even if what I wrote appears nonsense to you, can I argue that it's not completely nonsensical, at least?

The poor of all tribes are rarely able to leave Nigeria. It's the relatively well-off who do. Now, you see even the rich Hausa-Fulani? They don't go anywhere. They have all they need here, to the detriment of everyone else.

How many rich Yorubas do you know who don't have a family member in Europe or North America?

We love sending our kids there to study and excel. The Northerners will train their kids and ensure they are well-placed right here with jobs, contracts, etc. After all, the system favours them.

See my point?

It is not completely nonsensical. I included it when I said ".....enjoying Quota System with their family".

The point is that, the Core North has a far larger proportion of poor and mentality that limits them and directs them more to Arab/Islam.

Northerners don't train their kids. Only a few top Northerners do. A large fraction end up with Almajiri .............and now we are seeing bandits biting them for not developing their people.

By the way, MC Oluomo's kids are in USA to study. That is agbero family going to the USA. grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Higherthan: 1:01pm On Dec 08, 2023
ShangTsung000:

You should also know that Igbos are more enlightened than the Yorubas. We develop our areas and theirs too. They should also learn to appreciate too.
Igbos the chest beating gorillas, eaters of human flesh, wakers of their father with sidekicks grin cheesy
Developers of Asian prison grin
Gamesmart.....see the bastard quoting you, he's a low life fool, he sells gala and lacasera in lagos traffic grin

3 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by TinubuNG: 1:04pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I didn't force an opinion on you. I brutalised your dimwitted ass with facts.

Stop talking like a bitch. Women are the ones who say "That is your opinion" when a fact they don't like is presented to quash their foolish arguments.
Lolz 😂 @ brutalised bla bla lolz 😂
you are happy I guess 😹 honestly, I never knw I'm chatting with one of nairaland mad fellow until I check you out, kpele, I hope you get help soon nitwit low life.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:06pm On Dec 08, 2023
LeonSaab:
Yorubas voted massively fir Obi as well but for the guy small mind ba only igbos wey dey Lagos vote Obi......

Nonsense.

He did not get more than 15% of the vote in Ogun and Oyo.

Less than 9% in Ondo, Kwara, Ekiti and Osun.

And those votes might be from mainly the Igbos and SSerners living there.

That is not "massively" by the Yorubas.

Make una dey check una facts before making claims!
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by ASAPFERG: 1:07pm On Dec 08, 2023
Offpointng:

They hate us to cuz eyes see shege for Enugu. I hope the love come around someday
i don't understand what you typed
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 1:08pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Nonsense.

He did not get more than 15% of the vote in Ogun and Oyo.

Less than 9% in Ondo, Kwara, Ekiti and Osun.

And those votes might be from mainly the Igbos and SSerners living there.

That is not "massively" by the Yorubas.

Make una dey check una facts before making claims!
oga my post was with a focus in Lagos.....try to dey read before you run your mouth.....
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:08pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gerrard59:

Well, the numbers have it that Peter Obi did not come second outside Lagos, which is a cosmopolitan state, in the south west. So one can say that Yorubas did not vote for him. That is what the numbers are saying. More Yorubas voted for Atiku than Obi. Not like I am surprised as I did not expect Yorubas to vote for an Igbo man especially when the main contender is also Yoruba: https://www.nairaland.com/7225545/why-peter-obi-step-down

True.

Worse still, when Obidients thought they can win elections with insulting the electorate.

2 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:09pm On Dec 08, 2023
ASAPFERG:
useless omo nna

iku ojiji lo ma pa e

Pure reetard! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Bandits or Fulani herdsmen would soon help us do the needful IJN.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by prenazy: 1:10pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I really struggle to believe there are more Yorubas in the USA than Igbos.

I am suspecting maybe Yorubas just teach their kids their indigenous language more than Igbos.

There are more Yorubas in the UK than Igbo. I struggle to believe that is also the case in the USA.
Most Yoruba are out studying, Igbos are mostly doing business.
That's why more Yoruba is visible though.

This is only a thought though
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:13pm On Dec 08, 2023
TinubuNG:
Lolz 😂 @ brutalised bla bla lolz 😂
you are happy I guess 😹 honestly, I never knw I'm chatting with one of nairaland mad fellow until I check you out, kpele, I hope you get help soon nitwit low life.

Just try and have pride and talk sense at all times.

You don learn lesson.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:14pm On Dec 08, 2023
LeonSaab:
oga my post was with a focus in Lagos.....try to dey read before you run your mouth.....

How is Lagos representative of Yorubas then?

You run your brain before using that?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Princewill1(m): 1:17pm On Dec 08, 2023
opamoses1:
Some 🤡s like to say "Yorubas don't travel".

We just don't travel to unsafe regions. That's all.
The Yorubas by nature are timid that's why you see them chosing only soft countries to japa.

It's rare to see a Yoruba man in a difficult terrain.

In the other hand, the Igbos are explorers and aggressive. They're everywhere both soft and hard terrian.

It's not out of place to see an Igbo man in a war-torn country hustling.

The Yorubas are like the English, while Igbos are like the Germans.

3 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by babsbolad: 1:19pm On Dec 08, 2023
Not only by speaking the language man. This is not even supposed to be subject to deliberation in the first place. I did my masters in the UK, in any gathering of ten African students, you will see 5 Yorubas while the remaining 5 could be Ghanaian, ibos, or what have you. If you go by headcount, Yorubas will undoubtedly have more numbers in the USA, UK and Canada.
saintfieldcastro:
Ethnic affiliation is different from Linguistic affiliation.
Yes, Yoruba is more spoken in US, UK and Canada bcoz most Yorubas especially elderly ones speak it as their first language and are generally chatty, noisy and loquacious.
Igbo people are now awakening in terms of speaking their language and identifying with the language.
Where I served at Sokoto during our Nysc days, we thought Yorubas were the most numerous Nysc corp members until we were given a breakdown of State of Origin of all NYSC members in my stream.
Out of 2100 NYSC members, 991were from Southeast, the southwest had 657, the North and South South had the rest. But in almost all the Lodges, even in my own lodge where there are 12 Igbos and 8 yorubas, you would be thinking that all of us were ethnically YORUBAs bcoz Yorubas there are chatty, loquacious, noisy and talkative.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by ASAPFERG: 1:20pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Pure reetard! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Bandits or Fulani herdsmen would soon help us do the needful IJN.
untimely death will make your family history before christmas
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 1:23pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

How is Lagos representative of Yorubas then?

You run your brain before using that?
how is Anambra representative of Igbos you id^iot?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2023
LeonSaab:
how is Anambra representative of Igbos you id^iot?

You are a cretin. Who used Anambra to represent Igbos?

You are so daft, you want to use conjectures to hide your folly?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:28pm On Dec 08, 2023
Nnewison:
Yorubas makes use of their language than igbos do that is just the case, an igbo,most igbos I mean will not speak their language but igbos are everywhere as I have been to few countries ,I stand to be corrected

Nnewi blood.
u pple are noisemaker and brag beyond measure that's why u think na Ina plenty pass...
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by femisplash: 1:30pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

You don't think people can be undocumented in the US?
How realistic?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:30pm On Dec 08, 2023
Princewill1:
The Yorubas by nature are timid that's why you see them chosing only soft countries to japa.

It's rare to see a Yoruba man in a difficult terrain.

In the other hand, the Igbos are explorers and aggressive. They're everywhere both soft and hard terrian.

It's not out of place to see an Igbo man in a war-torn country hustling.

The Yorubas are like the English, while Igbos are like the Germans.

So Igbos are brave, hence why they go to other countries and end up in squalor jails or murdered, is your argument?

It never seizes to amaze me what some few Igbos use to chest-beat.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The other one recently was how economically superior Igbos are because other tribes don't have investments in SE. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gerrard59(m): 1:30pm On Dec 08, 2023
LeonSaab:
so you mean to tell me that it was only igbos in Lagos that voted Obi that he got 500k+ votes and my focus is on Lagos not the whole SW, as the what i quoted had a focus on Lagos

As I said, Lagos is a cosmopolitan state with the highest number of Igbos in the south west. Obviously, the majority of residents in Lagos are Yorubas. However, until the figures are broken by ethnicity or, at best, local government areas, we cannot explicitly state that most Yorubas in Lagos voted for Peter Obi.

and when the results came out you people were shouting up and down how you take Lagos for governorship

I never believed Sanwo Olu would lose the election. Governorship is different from presidential. So, I was not surprised to see him win. However, it should have been in a free and fair manner without harassment. The events leading to the election were terrible and appalling. GRV saying he does not think in Yoruba did not make sense to me. In Nigeria, the governor has to align or speak like the majority indigenous people. So, the belief that he should be regarded when he cannot speak the majority language did not make sense to me. Humans are tribal.

.....even in a broader sense self in the SW as a whole how many igbos do you think voted for obi in the entire southwest.....cause i'm sure if you check Yorubas voted more for him in the SW than igbos living in the SW

If that was true, Peter Obi should have come second outside Lagos. In Osun, he came a distant third. In Christian Ekiti, he also came third. A Northern Christian was shocked Peter Obi could lose in Ekiti. Accept it, Yorubas voted overwhelmingly for Tinubu, then Atiku than Obi. Numbers don't lie.

......you people rig yourself in the SE and are claiming we support our own.....which politician in this world can you point to that gas a 95% approval rating when it's not jazz?

The bold has no evidence. The south east is Peter Obi's turf, so it is expected he would win there. APC under Buhari mishandled events in the region. So expecting Igbos, Nigeria's majority Christian ethnic group, to vote APC with a Muslim-Muslim ticket is a misplaced belief. It was not going to be possible. The same way I expected and actually predicted that Yorubas would overwhelmingly vote for Tinubu is what happened in the south east for Obi.

When Jonathan won more than 90% of votes in Bayelsa and Rivers, did you say the same?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by aspabay(m): 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2023
opamoses1:

And we don’t become lousy about it.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:32pm On Dec 08, 2023
ASAPFERG:
untimely death will make your family history before christmas

I know poverty normally comes hand-in-hand with stupidity.

Since you are a moooron, I know you are poor and are very likely to die with your family young. grin
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 1:32pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

You are a cretin. Who used Anambra to represent Igbos?

You are so daft, you want to use conjectures to hide your folly?
ha.... you asked how Lagos is representative of Yorubas, and I'm asking you how Anambra is representative of igbos.....by the time you search your d@ft head for an answer you will be to answer your own question id#iot.....
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:33pm On Dec 08, 2023
femisplash:

How realistic?

Very realistic.

It is a major known problem in America.

Or you no dey read about Latinos?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by femisplash: 1:37pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Very realistic.
It is a major known problem in America.
Or you no dey read about Latinos?
Those are border issues, we're talking African migrants here.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:38pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gerrard59:

As I said, Lagos is a cosmopolitan state with the highest number of Igbos in the south west. Obviously, the majority of residents in Lagos are Yorubas. However, until the figures are broken by ethnicity or, at best, local government areas, we cannot explicitly state that most Yorubas in Lagos voted for Peter Obi.

I never believed Sanwo Olu would lose the election. Governorship is different from presidential. So, I was not surprised to see him win. However, it should have been in a free and fair manner without harassment. The events leading to the election were terrible and appalling. GRV saying he does not think in Yoruba did not make sense to me. In Nigeria, the governor has to align or speak like the majority indigenous people. So, the belief that he should be regarded when he cannot speak the majority language did not make sense to me. Humans are tribal.

If that was true, Peter Obi should have come second outside Lagos. In Osun, he came a distant third. In Christian Ekiti, he also came third. A Northern Christian was shocked Peter Obi could lose in Ekiti. Accept it, Yorubas voted overwhelmingly for Tinubu, then Atiku than Obi. Numbers don't lie.

Very true.

That GRV is a silly boy. End of his political career. He can never win votes in SW again, he can only get political positions in future by appointment.

Gerrard59:

The bold has no evidence. The south east is Peter Obi's turf, so it is expected he would win there. APC under Buhari mishandled events in the region. So expecting Igbos, Nigeria's majority Christian ethnic group, to vote APC with a Muslim-Muslim ticket is a misplaced belief. It was not going to be possible. The same way I expected and actually predicted that Yorubas would overwhelmingly vote for Tinubu is what happened in the south east for Obi.

When Jonathan won more than 90% of votes in Bayelsa and Rivers, did you say the same?

Igbos had a right to overwhelmingly vote for Obi.

It was obviously Igbo-lokan and he seemed the cleanest candidate.

His IQ is not sufficient for the task though, considering Nigeria's dire economic situation. The man is very mediocre at best!

They are on record to have voted for Obasanjo over Ojukwu!!!
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by tubolancer(m): 1:39pm On Dec 08, 2023
opamoses1:

No we don't make noise.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:40pm On Dec 08, 2023
LeonSaab:
ha.... you asked how Lagos is representative of Yorubas, and I'm asking you how Anambra is representative of igbos.....by the time you search your d@ft head for an answer you will be to answer your own question id#iot.....

You are a cretin, why would you ask me such?

Why not ask me why South Africa represents whites, reetard?

You just made up shit from your ass and thought "Wow! See sense!". grin grin grin grin
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:42pm On Dec 08, 2023
femisplash:

Those are border issues, we're talking African migrants here.

And so?

African migrants cannot overstay visa and live and work in the US?

Only those that illegally cross borders are allowed or able to live and work illegally without documents?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by siant: 1:42pm On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I really struggle to believe there are more Yorubas in the USA than Igbos.

I am suspecting maybe Yorubas just teach their kids their indigenous language more than Igbos.

There are more Yorubas in the UK than Igbo. I struggle to believe that is also the case in the USA.
That's the believe of chest beaters. They always claim that na Yoruba plenty pass Igbo in UK, but na them Igbo get US.
I don't know where they get their statistic. Bunch of illiterates!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (16) (Reply)

Eze Eri & His Chiefs Wearing Jewish Apparel (Photos) / Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Highlighting Two Igbo Deities And Their Significance To Their Followers (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.