Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,650 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN (8114 Views)

Prepare To Receive, Distribute 6,100MW Of Electricity In 6 Months, FG To Discos / Electricity: TCN Commissions First Offshore Substation / We Have Secured N567bn To Deliver 20,000MW Electricity – TCN Boss Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by SoNature(m): 1:42pm On Dec 14, 2023
The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) says it currently has capacity to transmit 8,100 megawatts (MW) of about 13,000 megawatts (MW) generated electricity.

Thomas Inugonum, TCN’s general manager for the Port Harcourt region, spoke during a news conference on Sunday in the state.

He said the country is supposed to transmit about 15,000MW, but “we are unable to meet this capacity due to weak and ageing infrastructure”.

Inugonum bemoaned the incessant attacks on TCN’s facilities, urging the media to raise public awareness of the dangers of the act.

“In some of our stations, vandals have cut earth-conductors of big transformers that cost about N800 million resulting in the ‘floating’ of the facility,” he said.

“There are projects that have been on-going for almost 20 years in Okigwe and Mbano in Imo, and in other places that could not be completed partly because of vandalism.

“We do not understand why people vandalise our facilities considering the importance of power supply to economic activities.

“If transmission power lines are vandalised, and in the process, it falls on top of about 100 houses, no occupant of those houses would survive.”

Inugonum said daily attacks on TCN facilities in Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Imo, and Rivers impact negatively on efforts to supply uninterrupted electricity.

“In just two months, we have lost several of our transmission lines in Odukpani (Cross River) and in Elelenwo in Rivers,” he said.

“A 60mva cost about N1.2 billion, while a span of 132kv of our transmission line cost about 330,000 dollars, making our losses unquantifiable and humongous when vandalised.

“It is unfortunate that people vandalise facilities worth billions of naira only to melt the metals to construct gates, pots, and cups. It is just wickedness.”

‘23 POWER PROJECTS AT SEVERAL STAGES OF COMPLETION IN SIX STATES’

Inugonum said 23 power projects were at several stages of completion in the six states of Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Imo, and Rivers.

He said the projects, executed under the national integrated power project (NIPP) initiative of the federal government, are partly funded by the TCN, the Niger Delta Power Holding Company, and the World Bank.

Apart from the 23 projects ongoing in the six states, Inugonum said there are 15 other completed projects, while three are at proposition stages in the states.

In his remarks, Benneth Ezemobi, TCN’s assistant general manager, Port Harcourt sub-region, said plans were in top gear to supply an extra 100MW of electricity to Rivers.

Currently, he said, the TCN has slightly less than 400MW, “but by 2025, we would have been able to meet our 500MW target for Rivers”.

Source: https://www.thecable.ng/tcn-were-only-able-to-transmit-8100mw-of-13000mw-generated-electricity/amp

1 Like

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by SoNature(m): 1:43pm On Dec 14, 2023
When I got to where Mr Inugonum said that people vandalize transmission equipment they bought for billions, melt and used it to construct gates, I realised that ordinary Nigerians are the biggest threat to this country, not even the politicians!

87 Likes 9 Shares

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by RenaissanceGuy: 1:46pm On Dec 14, 2023
When did Nigeria begin to transmit a humongous 8kMW?? The highest we've ever transmitted was just a little above 5kMW.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by richiemcgold: 1:50pm On Dec 14, 2023
This fact had been established for many years now but we haven't done anything serious about it. Power generation is not the biggest challenge we have at the moment but transmission and distribution. Why building another gas and hydro power stations when the money can be used to provide infrastructures to transmit the power already generated.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by SadiqBabaSani: 1:57pm On Dec 14, 2023
SoNature:
When I got to where Mr Inugonum said that people vandalize transmission equipment they bought for billions, melt and used it to construct gates, I realised that ordinary Nigerians are the biggest threat to this country, not even the politicians!
No the Theiving Polytricians are more deadly than Ebola and HIV

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by happney65: 2:05pm On Dec 14, 2023
SoNature:

So why don't ordinary Nigerians go and vandalise telecommunications mast?

Why?

Because they know they can do that rubbish with government properties and not private

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by Dobodobo04: 2:36pm On Dec 14, 2023
These people are just damn incompetent!!

Stealing of cables isn’t a unique problem to Nigeria alone.

Look at how other countries deal with it and do likewise.

You can’t invest billions on infrastructures and leave it at the mercy of vandals!!

Carve out military men from the armed forces, train them, equip them with modern gadget to protect our valuable infrastructures like cables, pipelines, telecoms structures, etc.

No more excuses!!!!

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by Melagros(m): 2:53pm On Dec 14, 2023
I thought the power sector was privatised, make fg comot hand for this power matter so we can rest of the excuses every day

1 Like

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by Brendaniel: 4:57pm On Dec 14, 2023
SoNature:

I still blame the government, the same person that vandalized such will go abroad and will be scared to vandalize their own there because he knows the consequence of such, like I do say, there is no where in the world crime does not happen the major difference is what happens after the crime takes place, that might determine if such crime will keep progressing or regressing.

The reason why the entire power sector is in comatose in the first place is because people do things anyhow and get away with it, how many billions of dollars have vanished into thin air in the same power sector yet no one is in jail for it.

16 Likes

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by slivertongue: 5:00pm On Dec 14, 2023
but darkness still prevails in most parts of the country.
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by Brendaniel: 5:06pm On Dec 14, 2023
richiemcgold:
This fact had been established for many years now but we haven't done anything serious about it. Power generation is not the biggest challenge we have at the moment but transmission and distribution. Why building another gas stations and power turbines when the money can be used to provide infrastructures to transmit the power already generated.

What I have noticed in this power sector in Nigeria is that there are people who may have over commercialized the generation and distribution, to me I feel it is more of a scam now than actual business, that is why prepaid meters are still not in full supply everywhere which is a scam from the distribution companies to keep fleecing customers with estimated billing.

Then you have the generation side where they generate less power for more money.

I feel the transmission side which is still run by the government is still using that method to feed states that are not ready to help themselves with power supply, I feel the entire thing needs to be broken down to either region or state level, the entire transmission company should be broken down completely...

3 Likes

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by FreeStuffsNG: 5:39pm On Dec 14, 2023
SoNature:
They are here on Nairaland even wailing hypocritically.

8 Likes

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by Beremx(f): 5:57pm On Dec 14, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
They are here on Nairaland even wailing hypocritically.
my sister you are one of them. When are your imaginary investors coming to Nigeria? We are waiting

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by orikoku: 5:06am On Dec 15, 2023
Where Una distribute am go. Because me never see for my side.
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by seunlayi(m): 5:07am On Dec 15, 2023
Where is the light sef
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by toxxnoni(m): 5:08am On Dec 15, 2023
Nigeria my country... anyways for your drilling and Geotechnical services check below
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by saddler: 5:11am On Dec 15, 2023
undecided

A government that cannot police her citizens is an irresponsible government.

You dont wish or pray for people to be obedient, you enact and carryout punishment on culprits.

3 Likes

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by oz4real83(m): 5:12am On Dec 15, 2023
All those thugs, yahoo guys and other useless people that have police security and excorts, can't such police personnel be deployed to protect power infrastructure
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by VaginaAcademic: 5:15am On Dec 15, 2023
The one wey una dey give neighboring countries nko
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by inoki247: 5:15am On Dec 15, 2023
happney65:

So why don't ordinary Nigerians go and vandalise telecommunications mast?

Why?

Because they know they can do that rubbish with government properties and not private

Lol people vandalize Private Property also....

Have seen where they stole the full Mikano Gen of an MTN mass throwing the village into Network darkness for months.....

I don't know Abt now that's why you see back den the telecomunnication company start employing security for each mass telecomunnication or build it in people's Private compound....

1 Like

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by allthingsgood: 5:16am On Dec 15, 2023
Smh

The topic of this post should be the Wickedness of Nigerians to Nigeria.
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by trilacos: 5:16am On Dec 15, 2023
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by enemyofprogress: 5:17am On Dec 15, 2023
Nothing is walking in this country. Everything just get as e be, especially under this bulabu government
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by Advision: 5:17am On Dec 15, 2023
SoNature:

If you dont invest in people and provide then with a basic standard of living, no investment in infrastructure would matter.

How do you expect to construct multibillion dollars infrastructure through communities where many earn less than 1usd a day and expect them to value it?

3 Likes

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by vastolord4(m): 5:18am On Dec 15, 2023
All the PHCN ogas I know are always robust.. its like they feed themselves with the remaining megawatts ment for Nigerians

1 Like

Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by Chibuzoripob: 5:19am On Dec 15, 2023
sad
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by Chibuzoripob: 5:19am On Dec 15, 2023
sad sad
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by pikechukwu6(m): 5:20am On Dec 15, 2023
??a
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by BluntCrazeMan: 5:20am On Dec 15, 2023
Na waa oo
Re: We’re Only Able To Transmit 8,100MW Of 13,000MW Generated Electricity - TCN by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 5:25am On Dec 15, 2023
Advision:

If you dont invest in people and provide then with a basic standard of living, no investment in infrastructure would matter.

How do you expect to construct multibillion dollars infrastructure through communities where many earn less than 1usd a day and expect them to value it?
I wonder o... shocked undecided angry

PBAT, IMF & WORLD BANK

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Are Behind Boko Aram---gwarzo / Fayemi’s Aide, Tolu Ibitola, Distributes Xmas Gifts To Followers / South-East Governors Condemn Killing Of Two Policemen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.