Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,841 members, 7,831,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator (14730 Views)

Buhari Approved Naira Redesign, Tinubu Rejected It, Is All Really Well In APC? / Buhari Approved Naira Redesign, CBN Replies Finance Minister / Tinubu Reacts To Sanwo-Olu's Move To Cancel Pension For Ex Governors & Deputies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Islie: 9:14am On Dec 25, 2023
Former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, and his ex-deputies approved for themselves an upward review of their salaries without presidential approval.

The CBN Special Investigator, Jim Obazee, who disclosed this in his report to President Bola Tinubu, said the former CBN governor and his deputies decided at the 758th meeting of the Committee of Governors held on September 14, 2022.

The investigation report asserted that the review was not approved by President Muhammadu Buhari and the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission, the agency that oversees the disbursement of funds from the Federal Account.

Tinubu had in a letter dated July 28, 2023, named a former Executive Secretary of the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria, Obazee, as the CBN special investigator.

The PUNCH had on Friday reported that Emefiele, allegedly lodged public funds in no fewer than 593 bank accounts in the United States, United Kingdom, and China without the approval of the apex bank’s board of directors and the CBN Investment Committee.

There are fears that the findings of the special investigator may further compound the woes of the ex-CBN governor who is being prosecuted for N1.2 billion procurement fraud

Obazee in his report recommended that Emefiele and the Deputy CBN governors and directors should be charged for various criminal offences.

The report read in part, The then CBN governor and his Committee of Governors held their 758th meeting on September 14, 2022, and approved for themselves upward review of salaries (referred to as annual pay parity in US dollars), sitting allowances, air tickets, and incidental expenses of the board and Monetary Policy Committee members.

“This was carried out without the approval of the President nor in consultation with the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission. The Secretary to the Board of the CBN kept mute over this development and the board members looked the other way.’’

The report further highlighted how the apex financial institution allegedly printed money and converted it to its use, stressing that there was no legal provision for the action.

It stated that the financial statements of the bank did not tally with its numerous financial interventions, suggesting that the CBN under Emefiele operated secret reserves whose location was only known to it and not disclosed in its financial statements.

Shedding light on the allegation, the report said, ‘’For instance, the huge liquidity intervention in the banking sector by the CBN from 2014 to date was not derived from the operational income stream of the CBN.

“On request, the CBN officials could not show the source of this fund. It is observed that the CBN determines the financial reporting standards; it ended up mixing up cash basis with cash accruals in its accounting system.

“The bank’s statement of account cash flow in the audited financial statements fails to show the source and application of the huge banking sector intervention and other 43 intervention programmes in several trillions of naira from 2014.

“The overflow of this in subsequent years is indicative since the opening balance of one year is logically the ending balance of the preceding year. In situations like this, the only explanation is that money was printed by the CBN and same was converted to its own use.’’

Calls to the line of the counsel for Emefiele, Matthew Burkaa, SAN indicated that it was not reachable.

However, he has yet to respond to a text message sent to him as of the time of filing this report.

Meanwhile, a former deputy governor of the CBN, Kingsley Moghalu, has accused Emefiele of being the worst governor the apex bank has ever produced in the history of the country.

Moghalu said this in a lengthy post on the X platform via his verified handle on Saturday.

He cited Emefiele’s incompetence, performance regarding the stability of the naira exchange rate and inflation, the brazen provision of Ways and Means lending to the government, including his attempt to run for president, and the “incompetent” manner in which the naira redesign policy was handled.

He wrote, “The foregoing notwithstanding, my views on Emefiele’s performance as CBN Governor have been a matter of record even when many now opining on the matter of his performance on the job were mute.

“He is, without debate, the worst and most damaging Central Bank Governor in Nigeria’s history- incompetent and ill-prepared for the role, and from all available information from his actions, doubtlessly severely challenged with integrity.’’

“Four things make this clear; his performance regarding the stability of the naira exchange rate, as well as inflation; the brazen illegal provisions of Ways & Means lending to @NigeriaGov; Emefiele’s illegal attempt to run for President, in clear contravention of section 9 of the CBN Act of 2007, which precludes the Governor and Deputy Governors from engaging in activities outside their functions; and the incompetent manner in which the Naira Redesign Policy was handled, and its consequent negative, indeed disastrous impact on Nigeria’s economy,” he noted.

While describing the central bank of any country as a very sensitive institution, he said confidence (or the lack of it) in the institution has practical consequences for Nigeria’s economy.

He stressed that corruption has robbed Nigeria of its destiny and impoverished the citizens while enriching “at insane levels” a select few.

“Combating it has to be a holistic affair, not just politically convenient media trials,” he added.

Moghalu argued that Nigeria’s political leadership culture and governance needed a complete overhaul, adding, “The current approach to the matter to Emefiele, who undoubtedly deserves his trial, is not quite the optimal path when placed under close scrutiny.”

https://punchng.com/emefiele-deputies-shunned-buhari-approved-pay-rise-investigator/?amp

6 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by CodeTemplar: 9:16am On Dec 25, 2023
Seems everybody has their own autonomy under this demonstration of craze we call democracy.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by GoodofNaija: 9:17am On Dec 25, 2023
You are just deceiving yourselves!

Go and face your failed govt!

26 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Ikaeniyan0: 9:18am On Dec 25, 2023
The wyere and IPOBdients will deny this again

15 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by magoo10(m): 9:19am On Dec 25, 2023
Why not go to the courts and give them the information or is there something else.to think that this informations are coming from the investigator

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Faiththatworks(m): 9:21am On Dec 25, 2023
This Emefiele story really baffles me, although I felt the special investigator was turning it to a blackmail scheme with his incessant releases every week on the humongous fraud in the CBN,but I take back my assumptions.
I understand now why he was releasing the information in piecemeal,he did a very thorough job investigating the CBN.
I think Mr Emefiele should not be prosecuted,I repeat it's my opinion,the blame should fall on Baba Buhari,how and why he allowed Mr Emefiele commit this amount of malfeasance under him shows Baba Buhari was totally incompetent in Economic matters.
Baba Obasanjo warned us year ago but some of us refused to believe him,Baba Obasanjo was proved right 10000% by this revelation by Mr Obazee.
Let us agree Baba Buhari was totally incompetent,but he had safe guards,the Minister was there,he has an economic adviser, yet not one person in his regime was able to notice what Mr Emefiele was doing with his band of pen robbers.
I believe a lot of people are complicit and are aware about what happened under Baba Buhari and making Mr Emefiele the scapegoat is an anomaly,the arrest should start from the president for allowing such fraud to fester.
My advice to Asiwaju is to take this arrest the whole hog,he should arrest everyone who was complicit in this fraud,every company,every politician,every family member of the former president who benefited from the massive fraud,if he can't do it,them he should get Mr Emefiele to do a plea bargain and let the man go.
God bless Nigeria..........

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by LeoDeKing: 10:01am On Dec 25, 2023
grin

3 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by DatNiggaDaz: 10:33am On Dec 25, 2023
Dem don start again. Lower muslims doing everything possible to exonerate the master caliphate buhari by any means possible through Balablue propaganda, lies & deceit.

What a miserable sad life

19 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Itiskdg121(m): 11:42am On Dec 25, 2023
Wonderful.
.....so, what is the difference between both governments. Same will happen when Tinubu concludes his own tenure.
Nigeria is already in a mess, because everyone is selfish and greedy. Even this Tinubu is not left out, he is only fighting Emefiele because of the currency change prior to the elections.
What about the Bullion Van saga?

But when people call him out, some will turn it to tribal war.
KARMA IS REAL

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by lexy2014: 11:43am On Dec 25, 2023
if Emefiele is the worst CBN governor so far, can we say this investigation and its investigator are the worst we have seen so far?

12 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by bigdammyj: 11:44am On Dec 25, 2023
Noted.
Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by PureFace1(m): 11:44am On Dec 25, 2023
I'm still surprise people are surprise all these maladministration happened under Buhari.

Buhari is not that smart to be sincere even if he wanted to keep track of everything he couldn't so he only followed whatever he could and left the rest to take care of themselves.

Buhari is too dull to be a Nigerian president, to keep corruption in government in check in Nigeria the head must be smart to a certain extent to keep tracks and monitor all activities or else they will be committing heist under the leader's nose and he will not notice.

Emefiele would never be able to do all what he did under a president like Tinubu, Emefiele is like the most powerful and influential CBN governor ever, he just took advantage of Buhari lack of brain.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 11:45am On Dec 25, 2023
It's funny the way these people are trying to paint Buhari as a mugu president all in an effort to minus him from culpability. Agbado imbeciles are really dumb dumb upstairs walahi grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Nicepoker(m): 11:45am On Dec 25, 2023
Emefiele. Hardcore thief.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by NoSmoking: 11:45am On Dec 25, 2023
Crucify him ASAP

🤕
Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by datola: 11:46am On Dec 25, 2023
Emefiewere.. See his bishop looking outfit and big Bible.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Antisapa1: 11:47am On Dec 25, 2023
Fact
Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by princeade86(m): 11:47am On Dec 25, 2023
Enough of d fabricated lies.

6 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by boxypane(m): 11:47am On Dec 25, 2023
And Bubu left him in the office after the insubordination? Was Bubu ever in charge? I wish this was China for Emefiewele...

8 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Macphenson: 11:48am On Dec 25, 2023
And Buhari did not fire Emefiele?
And Tinubu supported Buhari twice and told us he will continue from where Buhari stopped?

APC is now complaining of APC telling us what we have been shouting all along?

This whole CBN investigations is lending credence to the rumour about an impostor being in ASO ROCK.

Tinubu should also investigate NNPC, we want to check something.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Zxcvbnmghtr: 11:49am On Dec 25, 2023
Faiththatworks:
This Emefiele story really baffles me, although I felt the special investigator was turning it to a blackmail scheme with his incessant releases every week on the humongous fraud in the CBN,but I take back my assumptions.
I understand now why he was releasing the information in piecemeal,he did a very thorough job investigating the CBN.
I think Mr Emefiele should not be prosecuted,I repeat it's my opinion,the blame should fall on Baba Buhari,how and why he allowed Mr Emefiele commit this amount of malfeasance under him shows Baba Buhari was totally incompetent in Economic matters.
Baba Obasanjo warned us year ago but some of us refused to believe him,Baba Obasanjo was proved right 10000% by this revelation by Mr Obazee.
Let us agree Baba Buhari was totally incompetent,but he had safe guards,the Minister was there,he has an economic adviser, yet not one person in his regime was able to notice what Mr Emefiele was doing with his band of pen robbers.
I believe a lot of people are complicit and are aware about what happened under Baba Buhari and making Mr Emefiele the scapegoat is an anomaly,the arrest should start from the president for allowing such fraud to fester.
My advice to Asiwaju is to take this arrest the whole hog,he should arrest everyone who was complicit in this fraud,every company,every politician,every family member of the former president who benefited from the massive fraud,if he can't do it,them he should get Mr Emefiele to do a plea bargain and let the man go.
God bless Nigeria..........

If your wife goes out to sleep with another man, should you as the husband be charged because you are the head of the family or her parents? Thank you.

You think this is football which the coach get crucified for the nonsense players choose to play on the pitch?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Gamesmart: 11:50am On Dec 25, 2023
This Obazee guy is bad ass!!!

He ruthlessly scrutinised everything. Crossing the "t"s and dotting "i"s.

It seems nothing bypassed him.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by D4gmail1: 11:50am On Dec 25, 2023
This investigator don dey talk rubbish too much. Anyone who believes any of these things right now can believe anything. Same thing with Deizani, no way in the world will she be able to steal that amount of money without Former President G.E Jonathan not being aware of it.

If you are investigating a past administration's corruption without investigating the past president, you are not after justice, you are only witch hunting, acting a movie or carrying out revenge agenda.

If my statement does not go down well with you, it's okay. I can understand when someone is politically biased. cool

10 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by atobs4real(m): 11:51am On Dec 25, 2023
Evil EME failure and his gang

1 Like

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by udemzyudex(m): 11:52am On Dec 25, 2023
Keep lying, no be only shun buhari grin

2 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Jayhome24: 11:52am On Dec 25, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
The wyere and IPOBdients will deny this again

Bro if dem like let dem or him deny it we would still pepper Emefiewerey anus with fresh grounded hot chilli he will never forget in his life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Zxcvbnmghtr: 11:52am On Dec 25, 2023
Gamesmart:
This Obazee guy is bad ass!!!

He ruthlessly scrutinised everything. Crossing the "t"s and dotting "i"s.

It seems nothing bypassed him.

Tinubu is known for making do with the best.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by Jii95: 11:53am On Dec 25, 2023
This is an old picture of Emefiele during the court appearance.

1 Like

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by BloomingDale(f): 11:53am On Dec 25, 2023
Nicepoker:
Emefiele. Hardcore thief.

What of the man that hired him?

4 Likes

Re: Emefiele, Deputies Shunned Buhari, Approved Pay Rise – Investigator by BloomingDale(f): 11:54am On Dec 25, 2023
Give us Barrabas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cancel All Rerun Election Results In Rivers And Conduct Fresh Polls- APC To INEC / Soldiers Neutralize 13 Boko Haram Insurgents In Borno [PHOTOS] / Photos From Kano Durban 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.