Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,975 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Should I Leave My Current Company - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Leave My Current Company (13502 Views)

Lawyers In The House Please Help. Can I Leave My New Job Without Issue / My Current State Of Mind / Should I Leave My N200k Job For Abroad Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by 1950Mack: 1:53pm On Jan 02
Bros... this is a serious matter o. I think you should do intensive research or feasibility study on the prospects of both companies. 170k for 10years is better than 300k for one year. What if the 300k company doesn't last, then you're back to square one. Do you know if they can even sustain your salary for 6months without owing you the rest of the years. Similar thing has happened to me before. I rather stay with a company that has proven records and a good future.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Majesty7: 1:54pm On Jan 02
MeineMutter:

What’s the startup into? Who are the financiers or the core investors?
Are you privy to seeding patterns of future investments coming into the startup?

Who are the target customers of the startup?

Who are, currently, main (established) competitors of the startup?

Who are potential competitors of the startup?

What’s the pedigrees of the founders and those on Board when it comes to business knowledge, risks appetite, and their performance track records?

It’s good you know and share those (and more) I mentioned above with people here on NL for them to guide you.

Best of luck.

Good
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Harddiskng(m): 1:54pm On Jan 02
Maths125:
Happy new year Professionals in the house.

I need an advice as regards my career

I just got a new job with a startup as a Business Analyst with Salary of 300k. Pension, health included

I am currently working in a well established company with a salary of 170k. Pension, healthcare included also

I am afraid of the unknown, there is comfort in my current company

Tomorrow 2nd will determine if I will resign or not. What if my current company decided to increase my Salary to 250k. Should I stay or not.

A man that is always afraid of the unknown would never go far in life.

Try do small research about the new company, search linkedin for Old employees and add them up, ask them about important things, work life balance, if the oga no be weyrey wey dey wear clothe, if salaries are paid on time etc. Also check glassdoor reviews.

If they say run, oga run oo

Make nothing fear you this 2024, no gree for anybody.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Originalsly: 1:55pm On Jan 02
I suggest you remain in your current job. " A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." The company you want to to join has no history.... it is a start up. 300K salary is a promise ... not a guarantee.... most likely based on how the company performs. The present economic climate is not at all good for business .... even for established businesses. Does that mean this new company can't be successful? No.... but what are the chances of it doing well enough to pay you that salary? ... on time? You need to weigh the risks and not jump to a decision because of the salary they dangle before your eyes.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by JoshTim: 1:57pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

I just got a new job with a startup as a Business Analyst with Salary of 300k. Pension, health included

I am currently working in a well established company with a salary of 170k. Pension, healthcare included also

Tomorrow 2nd will determine if I will resign or not. What if my current company decided to increase my Salary to 250k. Should I stay or not.

Tell your boss you are leaving but open to negotiation. Show him the employment letter. A 250k salary increment is better than the unknown. Do this, if eventually they don't increase it, please leave.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Harddiskng(m): 2:01pm On Jan 02
JoshTim:

Tell your boss you are leaving but open to negotiation. Show him the employment letter. A 250k salary increment is better than the unknown. Do this, if eventually they don't increase it, please leave.

Lol rooky mistake.

You wan dey threaten your oga with offer letter from another company for Nigeria cheesy

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Florblu(f): 2:03pm On Jan 02
Depending on how long it took you to secure this new job. If getting a new job comes easily for you, I will suggest you take the new offer, continue applying for more jobs till you get a better secured employment with good take home.
Never settle for less.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Ghoxt: 2:04pm On Jan 02
Prepare for the unknown and leave, it is t your family business.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by AmazingELixir: 2:06pm On Jan 02
lipsrsealed

Op the forest is old but it is still thriving.....the rate at which startup fold up this time around is very high due to harsh operating climate.

All that glitters is not gold...at this point I'll say I'd go for the veteran if you understand wha_i_mean.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by sammirano: 2:08pm On Jan 02
Chicagograduate:
Which one be business analyst?Is that a productive position or you will just be receiving salary for not doing anything?

Go do am ki oju e bo. Ika
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Trophy12: 2:10pm On Jan 02
Swporti001:
smiley
well done oo destiny killer
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by magabounce(m): 2:11pm On Jan 02
Amen!!!!!!
dominique:
Even though I don't encourage stagnancy and complacency, before you make any move from your comfort zone do your proper findings about where you're about to go. I know of someone that left his job paying fairly well to a better paying job only to get axed within a year when the company was downsizing to save cost. Take to google and do your research on the job. Enter keywords like 'is xyz company a good place to work'? Some of the results will bring you back to Nairaland sef. My prayer is that the unemployed underemployed in this country find themselves in this position very soon by God's grace.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Enemyofpeace: 2:15pm On Jan 02
Please do and let me have the company's address
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by JoshTim: 2:15pm On Jan 02
Harddiskng:

Lol rooky mistake.

You wan dey threaten your oga with offer letter from another company for Nigeria cheesy

Lol, it works. You have to man up.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by nnamdi640: 2:18pm On Jan 02
marvellous2222:
oga go on your knee and ask God for divine direction....he will lead you on what to do....... Because God sees the future
Don't let us deceive ourselves, God won't come down to tell you what to do or give you any signs, it is left for him to take that decision, but he should remember that any decision he takes, there will always be obstacles on the way. He should not expect that every thing will go smoothly as he want.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by NwaliE01: 2:21pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

Why are you scared? I resigned my job in 2022 that was paying me over 500k monthly with so many bonus including free family medical, full children's scholarships, status car, etc, and I haven't regret my decision for one day.

For the fact that you got the new job demonstrates that you deserved much more than you earn.
Confirm that the new job will satisfy your career quest, then take the leap of faith.

It can only get better. Congratulations!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Lisaint(m): 2:23pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

Bro please where are you guys getting all this offers!

Can you recommend me!
If you can,
I will really appreciate it

Happy new year
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by emdis: 2:24pm On Jan 02
Beware of startups, especially ones with many promise's learn from my thread.. especially one man headed startups..
https://www.nairaland.com/7954190/cheap-labor-exploitation-experience-mamaland
Maths125:

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by ppogba: 2:25pm On Jan 02
rogerman:
Move to the new job. This is a 70%+ pay raise which you will not get at your current place.

Even if the startup company folds after 1 year, you can always beg the other one to take you back.

Be a man and make some extra money. 2024 is going to be tougher than what we have seen

You can always beg the other one to take you back is " fallacy of wrong assumption"

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Akalia(m): 2:29pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

It depends on the kind of business the startup is into. If the business interest is on yhr FMCG, oil and gas, aviation, and telecom industry then you should have no worries. You should make the switch.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by DeOTR: 2:29pm On Jan 02
Your situation is very tricky o. I won't leave my current company for a start up, no matter the money involved, because one of the best thing you can wish for is an employee is stability. Imagine the crisis if things go south just 3 months into the new job.
I remember how as a Dev, I used to drop bag at UBA to go clock in at Wema, before I chose one.
I can't work with any start up full-time, so I can't advise you to do same.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by pasuma(m): 2:35pm On Jan 02
My advice is for you to leave immediately, I made same mistake but was eventually told off after 15 years , I was just lucky to have my former MD taking me to his new company after hearing about my maltreatment since he left, now I got 3x of what I was getting before now. Don't get emotionally attached to any company my friend, they'll put you under the bus without blinking, forgetting all your sacrifices for them..

Maths125:

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by GasAndOilTheory(m): 2:43pm On Jan 02
Time to take risks
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by 1144AK(m): 2:47pm On Jan 02
Laird:
A lot of startups failed last year as purchasing power of most Nigerians is low

A lot of start ups may run out of funding

Slow and stable or fast but unstable

You think and decide which is better in the long term
If the OP is a young man, he can take the risk after thorough evaluation of the company's long term growth projection.

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by ABC101FF: 2:48pm On Jan 02
You want to play sure odd with your current job?
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by ABC101FF: 2:49pm On Jan 02
It's like you are used to playing sure odds. Certainty vs uncertainty.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Idoko619(m): 2:50pm On Jan 02
Here's my take below:

1. Talk to your HR and renegotiate your current salary
2. Fear of the unknown is valid, but as a young man, never be too comfortable with comfort zone, if your skills are valid, who says if the start up close you won't get a better one.
3. Do more research on the new company.
4. Pray about it.
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Johnson5258: 2:51pm On Jan 02
If your current employer increases your pay then stay, otherwise do a good research of where you are going too. God will help you.

Maths125:

1 Like

Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by zebszebs: 2:52pm On Jan 02
Is #300k that wonderful a salary in Nigeria or are the majority of the people commenting on this thread, unemployed graduates with no responsibilities, still living in their parent's houses in Adodo Ota, Ogun state?
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by spiSeyi: 2:53pm On Jan 02
Maths125:

Step out of your comfort zone money aside the new job will add more weight to your CV cool
Re: Should I Leave My Current Company by Omoeri772: 2:55pm On Jan 02
see below

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Ministry Vs LIRS / Steps To Success In Your Career / How To Pass Personality Tests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.