Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,022 members, 7,810,827 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished (22482 Views)

Igwe Kenneth Orizu: Why I Abolished Osu Caste System / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Osu Caste System Abolished In Irete, Owerri West LGA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by pheelbert: 2:30pm On Jan 03
Worried by the bogus marriage and burial rites imported into their culture in the recent past, the Idoma Area Traditional Council (IATC) in Benue State has abolished costly burial rites for deceased persons and the imposition of costly requirements on the bereaved family.

The council has also crashed the cost of bride price in Idoma land and imposed a unified and fixed rate of N50,000.

The paramount ruler of the Idoma kingdom, Och’Idoma, Dr John Elaigwu Odogbo, made the announcement in Otukpo, the headquarters of Idoma land while delivering his New Year message to the people.

The Och’Idoma, disclosed that the decision was reached after wide consultations with rulers, political leaders, and other stakeholders in the kingdom.

He noted that after wide consultations, the council concluded that “Some self-imposed, barbaric, and harsh cultural practices be expunged from the practice of Idoma culture and tradition and would immediately take effect on all Idoma clans, tongues, and people under the Idoma area traditional council.

The Imposition of costly prescriptions, stipulations, and requirements on the bereaved family for the burial rites of a deceased person is hereby prohibited, in Idoma land. Burial rites should be conducted within affordable means of the family and as much as possible, concluded within two to three weeks from the date of death.

“The Traditional bride price in Idoma land is hereby unified and fixed at N50,000 (Fifty thousand Naira, only). All forms of stringent conditions, stipulations, and expectations associated with traditional marriage are hereby removed and prohibited
,” he ordered.

He said, “The practice whereby relatives deny and deprive the children and wive(s) of the deceased of their right to inheritance of the deceased’s property, is hereby prohibited.

https://dailytrust.com/idoma-council-pegs-bride-price-at-n50000-abolishes-costly-burial/

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Johnycastro18: 2:42pm On Jan 03
wow 50k bride price shocked

Be like say nah to contact Ene my ex idoma babe,
I see no reason why we cant make this marriage happen this time around,
with this latest news grin

158 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by matify83: 2:49pm On Jan 03
The Bayelsa man that escaped through the bush due to excessive billing during his traditional wedding rites in Imo state readily comes to mind.

https://www.nairaland.com/7954879/bridegroom-escapes-through-bush-during/4#127735546

At least these ones have realised that men willing to settle down are difficult to get.

Kudos!

117 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Kloenboi: 2:52pm On Jan 03
You guys should look for measures to stop the onslaught on Benue indigents by the Fulani herders.

Na girl wey dey alive go marry!

127 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by wonder233: 9:48am On Jan 04
Blacks! There is no price on a human being - whether literal or figurative. Marriage is simply the verbal declaration of intent by two adults that have come of age that they want to spend their lives together in the presence of witnesses. Simple!.

Subhumans will come under this mention and start frothing in the mouth about how dare you talk against their sacred brideprice. But ask a Nigerian or a black African what brideprice really means and how it came about, he has nothing to say other than hurl shallow emotive invectives about tradition..

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Deeprooted: 9:48am On Jan 04
Great move I must admit!

But the question is: will they comply?

5 Likes

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Giftedhand47(m): 9:48am On Jan 04
I track lost or stolen devices or phones at an affordable price
It all starts with a Trial
Contact me via signature below

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by ImoleNaija: 9:49am On Jan 04
#50k?

How much una dey bill before?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by D4gmail1: 9:49am On Jan 04
grin Many ladies should get married now.

4 Likes

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by superCleanworks(m): 9:49am On Jan 04
All Idoma babes now have a fixed price.

11 Likes

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Daddyyin: 9:49am On Jan 04
angry
Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Resetinc: 9:49am On Jan 04
Haaaa!!

Finally some humans are coming back to their sense. Na pesin start tradition, na pesin dey modify tradition, na pesin go still fit abolish tradition when necessary.. otherwise we be enslaved forever..
all these useless traditions & outdated religious laws, na matter of time.

40 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by TOPCRUISE(m): 9:49am On Jan 04
Hin don red. grin
Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by slowice(m): 9:50am On Jan 04
Na to find idoma babe marry now cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Heffalump(m): 9:50am On Jan 04
matify83:
The Bayelsa man that escaped through the bush due to excessive billing during his traditional wedding rites in Imo state readily comes to mind.

At least this ones have realised that men willing to settle down are difficult to get.
Kudos!

The Bayelsa man will be welcome in Idoma land for his seamless and pocket friendly marriage grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Daddyyin: 9:50am On Jan 04
They should put them on e-commerce website so that we can be placing our orders. I need 3 babe for that side. That's 150k naira

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by AderonkeOlaniyi(f): 9:50am On Jan 04
In Ado-Ekiti, our bride price is not up to 20k

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Fapemz: 9:50am On Jan 04
grin
Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by ufuosman(m): 9:50am On Jan 04
Some marriage lists really need to look into cos d economy is self is not smiling

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Kasdat5(m): 9:50am On Jan 04
Benue , here I come .

3 Likes

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by lawalosky(m): 9:51am On Jan 04
Igbo should emulate

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by ObalendeCMS: 9:52am On Jan 04
Na mumu or poor man dey marry this current crop of naija girls.

A man of high value wont settle for less!

5 Likes

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Marvieduke(f): 9:53am On Jan 04
Bride price has been fixed
Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by id4sho(m): 9:53am On Jan 04
Ene oOoOO

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by MMempire(m): 9:53am On Jan 04
Johnycastro18:
wow 50k bride price shocked

Be like say nah to contact Ene my ex idoma babe,
I see no reason why we cant make this marriage happen this time around,
with this latest news grin
If Ene get sister, me sef dey interested in marrying.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by Indelibleage: 9:53am On Jan 04
O better!

1 Like

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by marlow1962(m): 9:53am On Jan 04
Ok
Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by MrCGPA(m): 9:54am On Jan 04
Wa
Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by id4sho(m): 9:54am On Jan 04
Kasdat5:
Benue , here I come .

Whether na bonnet, abeg reserve for me.
Boss, drop more road trip na

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Idoma Traditional Bride Price Is ₦50,000, Costly Burial Rites Abolished by sterlingD(m): 9:55am On Jan 04
The one on costly burial rites comes to mind

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Oba Jimoh Oyewumi Ajagungbade: Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies At 95 / The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.