Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,913 members, 7,814,082 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies (35299 Views)

Tinubu Has Exposed Nigeria To Ridicule By Visiting Foreign Country - Falana / EXPOSED:Nigeria Army Deploys Northern Commanders To Quell Tension In South-East / Oil Discovery Exposed Nigeria’s Economy To Vulnerability – Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by ijustdey: 1:37pm On Jan 15
Checks by the Nigerian Tribune has revealed that no single Nigerian shipping company participated in the six crude oil delivery process that took place at the $19.5bn Dangote Petro-chemicals Refinery located in Lagos. This is even as further findings revealed that Nigeria lost out due to the very large sizes of ships used in the delivery of crude oil products to the Dangote Refinery.

Speaking with the Nigerian Tribune in an exclusive interview at the weekend, the President of the Nigerian Chamber of Shipping (NCS), Mallam Aminu Umar explained that six different ships loaded crude products to the Dangote Refinery, with none owned or operating from Nigeria.

According to Mallam Aminu Umar, “There were two deliveries at the Dangote Refinery; the first was the test-running stage where Gas oil was brought in to flush and power the system; while the second stage was the Crude oil delivery stage where Crude oil products were brought in.

“My shipping company was one of the two companies that delivered the Gas oil that was used to flush and power the system at the Dangote Refinery. The Gas oil that we supplied was used in test-running and flushing the system at the Dangote Refinery. Our company was the only local shipping firm that participated in this process while the second company was an internationally owned shipping company.

“After the system was flushed, the refinery took delivery of six Crude oil products, but no Nigerian company participated in that stage. This is because currently, Nigeria does not have the kind of ships that were used to bring in Crude oil products to the Dangote Refinery.

“Six shipping companies brought in Crude oil products to the Dangote Refinery, and only one of them was from an African country; Angola to be precise. The other five were foreign shipping companies from outside Africa. No Nigerian currently has the size of vessels that were used to move Crude oil products to the Dangote Refinery. I am talking of vessels called Suez Max.

“A Suez Max is a type of vessel that can load a million barrel of Crude oil products which is equivalent to 150,000 deadweight vessels. As at today, there is no Nigerian that has a 150,000-deadweight vessel trading in crude oil.

“We were the only indigenous shipping company that participated in the first stage while there was no Nigerian company that participated in the second stage.”

On expectations of indigenous participation in the evacuation of Crude oil products out of the Dangote Refinery, the NCS President expressed optimism that more local players should get involved when the Diesel and Aviation products being produced needs to be shipped out.

“Now that the refinery has started processing Crude oil products and Diesel alongside Aviation Fuel, products are expected to be ready anytime soon. We at the Chamber of Shipping expects more indigenous ship-owners and investors to get involved in the evacuation of these products out of the Dangote Refinery.

“We are very excited that this is happening at this time in Nigeria. We congratulate Alhaji Aliko Dangote for making this a reality. On the next stage of operations which will include the logistic chain of how crude oil products will be shipped out of the refinery, we expect local investors to be more involved.

“Nigerian ship owners should be very excited because this will open-up a lot of opportunities for local investors to invest and participate in. indigenous ship-owners should look forward to participating in the evacuation of finished products from the refinery.” The Chamber of Shipping President told the Nigerian Tribune exclusively in Lagos.

Recall that the $19.5bn Dangote Refinery took delivery of its sixth batch of one million Agbami barrels of crude oil products supplied by the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation Limited (NNPCL) last Monday, to complete the scheduled six million barrels consignment delivered to the Lekki based refinery needed to commence operations.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/how-dangote-refinery-exposed-nigerias-shipping-inadequacies/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by AqualinaXYZ: 1:45pm On Jan 15
grin

1 Like

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by tonicyril: 1:54pm On Jan 15
I don't kuku understand

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Sebastine1994(m): 2:05pm On Jan 15
grin
Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by BUSI107: 2:06pm On Jan 15
that is a welcome development

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Seunpapa65: 2:06pm On Jan 15
shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Bhevencious: 2:07pm On Jan 15
ok
Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Brendaniel: 2:08pm On Jan 15
How Dangote refinery exposed the lies of Buhari and Tinubu's government ...

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by ProudNigerian01: 2:08pm On Jan 15
Wetin dey fight Nigeria no be here. May Nigeria win in all areas one day. Amen.

I wish to remind everyone of the message for all born again Christians:

When you get to that point where you feel you are finally doing what God wants and you are living a sin free life, watch yourself. Spiritual pride is at the door and you must rule over it else it will consume you. ( Gen. 4v7) .

This is the time you begin to become judgemental of others, feel too righteous to ask for the forgiveness of your sins. Be CAREFUL!!!

I leave you a message from Apostle Paul:

1Cor.10.12 - Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall.
For those of you yet to repent, God is waiting for you.

37 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by leadinggists(m): 2:08pm On Jan 15
We make mouth too much

3 Likes

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by scrupulousblog: 2:09pm On Jan 15
There are just too many lies and deception in Nigerian Government

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by GOFRONT(m): 2:09pm On Jan 15
Is that the reason why Dangote refinery is not refining and distributing Premium motor Spirit Petrol??

I only hear about AGO and Av Jet

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by drlaykay(m): 2:09pm On Jan 15
Another dollar losing avenue. This will interpret to a higher price compared to if it's an indigenous firm. And of course, an additional pressure on forex and a resultant weakened naira.
All these little things matter a lot.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by DMerciful(m): 2:09pm On Jan 15
If the Dangote refinery was built in Niger Delta, there would be no need for shipping, just pipe the crude there.

Niger Delta, una see unasef? Your insecurity is making you lose your birthright!

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Golan007: 2:09pm On Jan 15
You wey write am, dem dey forbid make you self get shipping tanker?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Earlystar698(m): 2:09pm On Jan 15
So who's to be blame now?

1 Like

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Gadafii: 2:10pm On Jan 15
A lot of lies will be exposed by this dangote
refinery including lies peddled by the govt of tinubu and buhari

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Moferere: 2:10pm On Jan 15
Hmmmm
Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by jamesversion: 2:10pm On Jan 15
Make una leave story and start production.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by omenka1: 2:10pm On Jan 15
angry
Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by iwaeda: 2:11pm On Jan 15

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by easzypeaszy(m): 2:11pm On Jan 15
Dis is shameful
Dis guys have destroyed Nigeria far from what we imagined

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Ajehkpako4naija(m): 2:11pm On Jan 15
ijustdey:

https://tribuneonlineng.com/how-dangote-refinery-exposed-nigerias-shipping-inadequacies/
Abeg Dangote reduce fuel to 200/litre that is all I want to hear from you, not all these useless news to give hopelessness

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Integrafamoo: 2:11pm On Jan 15
So,Dangote imported crude? A country that export crude oil

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Rekyz(m): 2:11pm On Jan 15
Giant of Africa my foot!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Sharon805010: 2:12pm On Jan 15
i don't understand all this grammar, can someone just summarize please

2 Likes

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by Offpoint1: 2:12pm On Jan 15
grin
Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by pacespot(m): 2:12pm On Jan 15
Imagine, all those so called billionaires in Nigeria are just billionaires for nothing, they will rather spend their money on owambe and other unproductive ventures.

Foreigners have always known how to take advantage of any lapses in Nigerian systems.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by datola: 2:12pm On Jan 15
The inadequacy is a ready business opportunity.

FG and Dangote might have to look at pipeline option in the long run.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by 77up(m): 2:13pm On Jan 15
I will own it by my God's grace.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by ImoleNaija: 2:13pm On Jan 15
Shey na large vessels we no get ni abi enough crude oil?

Tell me more coz I no understand.

2 Likes

Re: How Dangote Refinery Exposed Nigeria’s Shipping Inadequacies by kenny714433(m): 2:13pm On Jan 15
Not only owning a ship, building one too. I do watch on Discovery ID how most Singapore companies build those extremely mighty ship and I can't just help but marvel.

I saw one documentary how Palm oil is being shipped from Malaysia, the risk navigating the sea and all the technology involved. Forget it, we still have a very long way to go as a country.

Besides, if someone from Nigeria owned ship with such capacity, what would he be shipping with it? Maybe register with NNPC to be shipping crude oil?

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'No Shaking My Pady' - Dino Melaye Says As He Poses With Saraki / Punch, The Nation, Channels TV Are Still Using Twitter Despite Suspension / Buhari Favoured South-East More Than North - Buba Galadima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.