Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,540 members, 7,812,678 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' (69282 Views)

Benin Bronze Cockerel Causing Debate Between England & Nigeria (PHOTO) / The Ancient City Of Benin: Our Bronze Heritage In Pictures / BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpia5: 5:56am On Dec 05, 2011
the backgrounds on those sculptures really bring out the detail.

so one can assume, from the red colouring, that the beaded crowns were red (coral?), i suppose.

has the pigment been analyzed yet to see if its of relatively recent origin.

we really need to see the scholarly work and analysis of these sculptures.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 7:09am On Dec 05, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Amor4ce,

That blog site is interesting. I know Yorubas also use the totem as a social emblem of lineage and class but never connected it that far into the roots . My lineage totem is 'Erin".

Okay, you've partly answered my questions at post #342. I'm guessing that they were also used as symbols of authority and proof of lineage. As was mentioned on that blog it seems this was why Rachael held on to Laban's teraphims. Do you know if there is any link between the these family lineage totems and their [b]oriki[/b]s
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 2:48am On Dec 06, 2011

http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pav&action=display&thread=938
This thread is making a impact that people are talking about the video in other threads, please continue to contribute to this thread, thanks
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 5:44pm On Dec 06, 2011
This head is one of the most famous objects in the British Museum's ethnographic collections
http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/aoa/b/brass_head_with_a_crown.aspx
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by NegroNtns(m): 8:10pm On Dec 06, 2011
Okay, you've partly answered my questions at post #342. I'm guessing that they were also used as symbols of authority and proof of lineage. As was mentioned on that blog it seems this was why Rachael held on to Laban's teraphims. Do you know if there is any link between the these family lineage totems and their orikis

Amor4ce,

I started to answer you sometime yesterday but was pulled away by some work.

Yes, totems were used as proof of identity and social hierarchy. Many people might not know this but in addition to the face scarification (ila) in Yorubaland, there were also body tattoos for identification. I don't know how many there of the totems but I am aware of Erin and Agbo. Agbo is the ram and belongs to the Esos (military or warriors) lineage. While totem is the staff of recognition, oriki is the anthem of patriotism and heroic acts.

A while back in a discussion on why GOD ordained Moses as a Prophet but commissioned Aaron as the voice of confrontation against Pharaoh, it was mentioned that Aaron had all the qualities of militancy in him and was thus more fitting a person to confront.

In astrology the sign of confrontation and militancy (force and power) is Ares or Aries. This sign is also the one symbolized by the ram. Ares is ruled by the planet Mars, which is a cryptic code for Ram (read backward without the s). Actually you can drop the s in both Ares and Mars and you have "Are and Mar".

If the Yoruba warriors, Oso have the ram totem and their general is titled Aare, then I wonder if this was also one of those events that our beloved academicians would like to dismiss as a mere coincidence.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpia5: 10:13pm On Dec 06, 2011
anonymous6:

This head is one of the most famous objects in the British Museum's ethnographic collections
http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/aoa/b/brass_head_with_a_crown.aspx

analysing the crown:

The elaborate headdress probably represents a crown. It has a central band which appears to include numerous glass or stone beads of different shapes and sizes. A fringe of feathers is indicated along the crown’s peaked front. The back of the neck is hidden by a beaded and plaited cover.

Most striking perhaps is the plaited crest rising from the front of the crown with a beaded conical boss at its base. Traces of red and black paint are evident throughout.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpia5: 10:15pm On Dec 06, 2011
anonymous6:

http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=pav&action=display&thread=938
This thread is making a impact that people are talking about the video in other threads, please continue to contribute to this thread, thanks

i've been trying to keep the thread on track but it's admittedly extremely difficult, given the nature of nairaland which is anti-intellectual and excessively clannish/retrogressive.

i do think we have to move beyond the fact that initially the europeans did not believe africans were capable of such art- almost every discussion about the sculptures focuses on that alone at the expense of examining the sculptures themselves.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 10:40pm On Dec 06, 2011
tpia@:

i do think we have to move beyond the fact that initially the europeans did not believe africans were capable of such art- almost every discussion about the sculptures focuses on that alone at the expense of examining the sculptures themselves.

you have a point
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 11:37pm On Dec 06, 2011
Is this really a Benin bronze head as indicated on the webpage?

From another website - there are other photos of the same bronze head (already sold) but from different angles.
[img]http://www.genuineafrica.com/Ife_Statuette_1.htm#African-Bronzes-FL[/img]
http://www.genuineafrica.com/Ife_Statuette_1.htm#African-Bronzes-FL
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tpia5: 11:44pm On Dec 06, 2011
^take questions about benin to the benin thread.

how many times must you hear something before it sinks in.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 11:55pm On Dec 06, 2011
amor4ce:

Is this really a Benin bronze head as indicated on the webpage?

From another website - there are other photos of the same bronze head (already sold) but from different angles.
[img]http://www.genuineafrica.com/Ife_Statuette_1.htm#African-Bronzes-FL[/img]
http://www.genuineafrica.com/Ife_Statuette_1.htm#African-Bronzes-FL

those two don't look like each other but the first link you posted is a imitaition or authentic Edo/benin bronze sculpture but the second link is not from IFE or Benin, it is a imitation, that people buy. If you read that link well they are selling that sculpture for $900, which a authentic one wouldn't even sell for that price, and the design is below standard compared to the ones seen in the video.

do any of you know how much the ife bronze sculptures worth?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 12:07am On Dec 07, 2011
At this moment I wouldn't mind having wooden replicas for my personal study.

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 12:16am On Dec 07, 2011
amor4ce:

At this moment I wouldn't mind having wooden replicas for my personal study.

I agree, I have seen homes where they have wooden replica's of these sculptures in their house, I think it's cool

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 12:53am On Dec 07, 2011

The lips look quite huge and the queen seems to be pointing at something with her right hand. I'm not yet sure of what the king is holding.

The pictures here offer more detail (I couldn't get screenshots with the desktop I'm currently using).

As for replicas, what if some really are originals that were smuggled out of Nigeria to private collectors?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 1:11am On Dec 07, 2011
amor4ce:

The lips look quite huge and the queen seems to be pointing at something with her right hand. I'm not yet sure of what the king is holding.

The pictures here offer more detail (I couldn't get screenshots with the desktop I'm currently using).

As for replicas, what if some really are originals that were smuggled out of Nigeria to private collectors?

It's possible and it won't surprise me if that is going on.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 6:18pm On Dec 07, 2011
The African sculptures mistaken for remains of Atlantis - CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06/21/kingdom.ife.sculptures/index.html
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 12:25am On Dec 08, 2011
A 1948 article in the Illustrated London News was headlined: "African art worthy to rank with the finest works of Italy and Greece" and "Donatellos of medieval Africa."

As critic Michael Glover notes in the UK's Independent newspaper, "At the same historical moment that Andrea del Verrocchio was doing his wonderfully painstaking, high-Renaissance drawing of a female head, anonymous artisans in Ife were working with brass, bronze, copper and terracotta to produce a series of exquisite heads that are not only the equal of Donatello in technical brilliance, but also just as naturalistic in their refinement. So much for African primitivism."

anonymous6, the above is from that CNN link. If you read the article closely you would notice that it seems to be laced still with the same superiority complex attitude of some of the oyinbo. Specifically, they do not want to admit the possibility that the Ife and related artworks were and are of higher quality than theirs.

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 12:49am On Dec 08, 2011
amor4ce:

anonymous6, the above is from that CNN link. If you read the article closely you would notice that it seems to be laced still with the same superiority complex attitude of some of the oyinbo. Specifically, they do not want to admit the possibility that the Ife and related artworks were and are of higher quality than theirs.

of course, and I am not surprised by that attitude of theirs. They feel they are the king & Queens of the world, and that attitude of theirs is slowly coming back to haunt them because they are now realizing black africans were actually superior before the Europeans first entered Africa. I am just glad these superiority fools finally admit the obvious that these art works are from Ife.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by tadelara(f): 2:16am On Dec 08, 2011
@anonymous6 Just finished watching all of the videos you posted. Big thanks to you! It was quite informative!!! Wow!!!! smiley

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 3:50am On Dec 08, 2011
tadelara:

@anonymous6 Just finished watching all of the videos you posted. Big thanks to you! It was quite informative!!! Wow!!!! smiley

you welcome cool

1 Like

Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 3:09pm On Dec 08, 2011
Classical Art of sub-Saharan Africa
http://all-art.org/history182.html
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by NegroNtns(m): 7:14pm On Dec 08, 2011
Specifically, they do not want to admit the possibility that the Ife and related artworks were and are of higher quality than theirs

They feel they are the king & Queens of the world,

I got the same conclusion to that comment on the CNN article. Their acceptance of these truths is going to be slow and painful. I say that because they have built a value system around the belief that white is the savior of all native peoples. Erasing that value system and replacing it with an African-centered value system will kill off not just their society but also their version of christianity. A huge risk!! It will explain why Mohammed Bello's book was suppressed, why Mohammed Masani's book was suppressed, why Samuel Johnson's book was suppressed and why the published copy was edited. Europe has built a massive myth around Atlantis being a white civilization, changing that story and making it a black civilization will almost put a question on everything else from Plato downward to the binary codes and the 256 series of the computer technology.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 8:21pm On Dec 08, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

I got the same conclusion to that comment on the CNN article.  Their acceptance of these truths is going to be slow and painful.  I say that because they have built a value system around the belief that white is the savior of all native peoples.  Erasing that value system and replacing it with an African-centered value system will kill off not just their society but also their version of christianity.  A huge risk!!   It will explain why Mohammed Bello's book was suppressed, why Mohammed Masani's book was suppressed, why Samuel Johnson's book was suppressed and why the published copy was edited.  Europe has built a massive myth around Atlantis being a white civilization, changing that story and making it a black civilization will almost put a question on everything else from Plato downward to the binary codes and the 256 series of the computer technology. 

Cosign 100%, to me this is karma coming back to haunt them and this is just the beginning we are going to see more of these types of scenario's happening to them in the future, that is something I know for sure will come to pass.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 9:35pm On Dec 09, 2011
Let us not focus on seeing their fall but rather let's look at why we fell. We should admit and confess confess our iniquities and the iniquities of our fathers, and earnestly turn to GOD and not IMF and the likes.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by anonymous6(f): 10:07pm On Dec 09, 2011
amor4ce:

Let us not focus on seeing their fall but rather let's look at why we fell. We should admit and confess confess our iniquities and the iniquities of our fathers, and earnestly turn to GOD and not IMF and the likes.

So True, AMEN
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by PhysicsQED(m): 8:17pm On Dec 10, 2011
TerraCotta? Are you still around?
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by TerraCotta(m): 8:43pm On Dec 10, 2011
Not actively, but I check in occasionally. The discussion went the way I expected it would (with the exception of Anonymous and her consistent attempt to keep this on track!). This is the most embarrassing Nigerian site I've seen when it comes to bigotry, ignorance, double IDs etc. so I don't have any incentive to participate. Still looking forward to your contributions though.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 10:00pm On Dec 10, 2011
When conducting experiments adjustments for noise are included, likewise efforts at its elimination. Also, in various facets of this world today there is noise and we have been given the capacity to sift the wheat (useful information) from the chaff(noise). Despite the noise many people with useful information still preach what they have to say. For instance, Noah still preached about the flood before it happened, some financial analysts preached about the US sub-prime mortgage crisis before it happened, and many more. If you have important info that is of benefit to your fellow man don't hold it back; or do you perceive others as swine? Remember that GOD lets the rain fall and the sun shine on both the good [/i]and [i]bad. Your info could be just what someone needs to answer certain pertinent questions. Don't use noise as an excuse, some might perceive you as having a condescending attitude.
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by amor4ce(m): 1:09am On Dec 11, 2011
TerraCotta:

Not actively, but I check in occasionally. The discussion went the way I expected it would (with the exception of Anonymous and her consistent attempt to keep this on track!). This is the most embarrassing Nigerian site I've seen when it comes to bigotry, ignorance, double IDs etc. so I don't have any incentive to participate. Still looking forward to your contributions though.

Haven't you posted one of the worst statements in the history of Nairaland?
Haven't you referred to the contributions (including perhaps GOD-inspired contributions) of all Nairalanders, including the efforts of the owner, as an embarrassment?
Aren't the publishing/declaration of research findings subject to peer review which can sometimes sound vitriolic (remember the likes of Gregor Mendel whose work was initially discredited)? How much more or less that of Nairaland?
Won't you humbly apologize to the Nairaland community for the blanket assertion?

PhysicsQED, there's a saying in Yoruba:
Bi o ba to asiko ati su
Idi a la
[When the time to defecate comes
The anus gives way]
Re: BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' by NegroNtns(m): 5:23am On Dec 11, 2011
lol@terracotta. Your ego is in your throat, may GOD soften it for you.

Amor4ce, may Almighty GOD enshroud you with the covering of a million harmonic angels to guide on all axis of your endeavors, ASE!

Anonymous, thank you for this post. These arts are not only beautiful, they are also powerful, they express a philosophical thought. Looking at the arts and studying their details I gained indepth understanding of the mysteries and secrets commuicated through them. In that sense, I can say thank you for facilitating a lecture. wink

I ask the Almighty GOD, in the power of all the names by which He is known to raise an army of angels for Anonymous, to proceed ahead of you and all aroud you, demolishing barriers and openig gateways for your approach, ASE!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding / Masquerade, Ajeron, Cleanses Ajegunle Of Coronavirus (Photos) / Which Is The Easiest Nigerian Language To Learn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.