Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,927 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God (7420 Views)

What Comes To Your Mind When You Hear The Word 'AMORC'? / How Do Pastors Hear The Voice Of God / What Happened To Brother Emma And Lazarus Of The Voice Of The Cross (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by inedi: 11:43pm On Nov 06, 2011
The bible in Gen 12:1-4 says Now the Lord said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will Shea thee: and I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
And other places in the bible
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by Joagbaje(m): 2:50am On Nov 07, 2011
God spoke to people by dreams ,vision and audible voice In the bible days. And he still does

1 Like

Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by inedi: 8:12am On Nov 07, 2011
Joagbaje:

God spoke to people by dreams ,vision and audible voice In the bible days. And he still does

My observation and maybe question is that considering the fact that the environment he grew up was that of idol worshipers, and I don't know if the gave an account of him not agreeing with his kings men, what was it about Abraham that cought the attention of God, was as a result of the later account that he was a friend of God.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by newmi(m): 8:26am On Nov 07, 2011
Romans 1:19-20
 19Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
 20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

for better understanding
"But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being. So nobody has a good excuse" (msg)

"For that which is known about God is evident to them and made plain in their inner consciousness, because God [Himself] has shown it to them.
For ever since the creation of the world His invisible nature and attributes, that is, His eternal power and divinity, have been made intelligible and clearly discernible in and through the things that have been made (His handiworks). So [men] are without excuse [altogether without any defense or justification"(Amplified)

Throughout creation God who himself is reputed for being the creator of all things including man has never left man at loss in the dark with regards to information concern Himself and the character of His person which includes His manner with which and through which He communicates and relays His feelings, thoughts and instructions afterall Abraham wasn't the first to claim to have heard "this God" other men lije his great great groundfather Noah also heard God no less dramatic fashion than his so there was already records and accounts to use as a study guide drawing inferences and arriving at a credibly tangible and convincing conclusion based on trend pattern.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by plappville(f): 3:45pm On Nov 07, 2011
Numbers 12:1-10 (KJV)

1And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman.

2And they said, Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it. God hear when we speak both evil or good with our mouth or heart

3(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)

4And the LORD spake suddenly unto Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto Miriam, Come out ye three unto the tabernacle of the congregation. And they three came out. they heard him openly

5And the LORD came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth.

6And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. @Jaogbage has already mentioned VISION AND DREAMS. now take not of what God said in verse 7 and 8

7[i]My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.

8With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?[/i]God said he speaks with MOSES mouth to mouth even Apparently, Whaoo, what a wonderful God we sarve, Moses was a special servant of God so was Abraham, they hear the voice of God the way u hear someone talk to u.

9And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them; and he departed.

10And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by inedi: 5:35pm On Nov 07, 2011
plappville:

Numbers 12:1-10 (KJV)

1And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman.

2And they said, Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses? hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it. God hear when we speak both evil or good with our mouth or heart

3(Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth.)

4And the LORD spake suddenly unto Moses, and unto Aaron, and unto Miriam, Come out ye three unto the tabernacle of the
congregation. And they three came out. they heard him openly
Have you considered the fact that Abraham family, his father was an idol worshiper, it was not as thou his father worshiped God, my question is what gave him that environment for God to have chosen him.

5And the LORD came down in the pillar of the cloud, and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam: and they both came forth.

6And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream. @Jaogbage has already mentioned VISION AND DREAMS. now take not of what God said in verse 7 and 8

7[i]My servant Moses is not so, who is faithful in all mine house.

8With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?[/i]God said he speaks with MOSES mouth to mouth even Apparently, Whaoo, what a wonderful God we sarve, Moses was a special servant of God so was Abraham, they hear the voice of God the way u hear someone talk to u.

9And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them; and he departed.

10And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by plappville(f): 7:51pm On Nov 07, 2011
Have you considered the fact that Abraham family, his father was an idol worshiper, it was not as thou his father worshiped God, my question is what gave him that environment for God to have chosen him.

Well, to me, reading about Abraham in the bible, he was an unlikely candidate for God's favor.
Some words from Joshua 24:2 Discribing his past and forfathers profiles.

Joshua said to all the people, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Long ago your forefathers, including Terah the father of Abraham and Nahor, lived beyond the River and worshipped other gods."

This shows that Abraham grew up in a home that practiced idolatry. It is likely that Abraham had no real "faith" until God chose him to be the Father of the faithful.

He was a pagan yet God chose him. In fact, we see clearly that, as we read the Biblical testimony, it seems to be the way God usually works. Hence it was not stated in the bible why God chosed him, we ought not to question God, his ways are not our way. God can call anyone no matter his state. There are certain things not told in the bible for reasons we don't know.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by inedi: 8:08pm On Nov 07, 2011
plappville:

Well, to me, reading about Abraham in the bible, he was an unlikely candidate for God's favor.
Some words from Joshua 24:2 Discribing his past and forfathers profiles.

Joshua said to all the people, “This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘Long ago your forefathers, including Terah the father of Abraham and Nahor, lived beyond the River and worshipped other gods."

This shows that Abraham grew up in a home that practiced idolatry. It is likely that Abraham had no real "faith" until God chose him to be the Father of the faithful.

He was a pagan yet God chose him. In fact, we see clearly that, as we read the Biblical testimony, it seems to be the way God
usually works. Hence it was not stated in the bible why God chosed him, we ought not to question God, his ways are not our
way. God can call anyone no matter his state. There are certain things not told in the bible for reasons we don't know.

Well said, but could it also have to do Noah his forefather who also heard from God, about the distruction of the earth with water.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by Joagbaje(m): 6:19am On Nov 08, 2011
inedi:

My observation and maybe question is that considering the fact that the environment he grew up was that of idol worshipers, and I don't know if the gave an account of him not agreeing with his kings men, what was it about Abraham that cought the attention of God,

He was probably an I dol worshiper too, cool I've not really checked that out. But one thing is clear with God. When he wants to use a man. He can break protocols. He can reach some even in the shrine.

There's a principle of Seeking and Finding God. But for certain cases, even when they don't seek God. He seek them.

Isaiah 65:1
. . . I am found of them that sought me not:
I said, Behold me, behold me. . .

1 Like

Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by plappville(f): 7:41pm On Nov 08, 2011
Well said, but could it also have to do Noah his forefather who also heard from God, about the distruction of the earth with water.
Yes it may be

Abraham was said to be the tenth generation of Noah, being a direct descendant of Shem, (Noah's son), the father of all the "Semitic" peoples.

It was recorded in the (Midrashim A collections of rabbinic traditions) that when Abraham was born, Shem was 390 years Old, and his father Noah was 892 years old, Abraham was 58 years old when Noah died, and 110 years old when Shem died.

So It might be that Abraham Got some enlightenment about God from Noah.
He had idols and righteous forfathers so he may be a pagan at a stage and then become a believer at his later age.
It may not be important to mention it in the bible.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by inedi: 2:13pm On Nov 09, 2011
Mr Plappville, can you pleas give us some scriptural back to this facts. Thank you sir I will be very grateful if you do.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by plappville(f): 9:34pm On Nov 09, 2011
inedi:

Mr Plappville, can you pleas give us some scriptural back to this facts. Thank you sir I will be very grateful if you do.
@Plappvill is a female plz.
Abraham was said to be the tenth generation of Noah, being a direct descendant of Shem, (Noah's son), the father of all the "Semitic" peoples.

It was recorded in the (Midrashim A collections of rabbinic traditions) [/b]that when Abraham was born, Shem was 390 years Old, and his father Noah was 892 years old, Abraham was 58 years old when Noah died, and 110 years old when Shem died.

So It might be that Abraham Got some enlightenment about God from Noah.
He had idols and righteous forfathers so he may be a pagan at a stage and then become a believer at his later age.
[b]It may not be important to mention it in the bible.

Does the bolds states they are scripture facts?? No, Go through it again.
Even my previews post, i said it was not stated in the bible Abraham If he knew God befor call.
We only know he was from an idolatery home. But the Midrashim ve some history that are not mentioned in the bible. U can do some research about it urself.
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by plappville(f): 11:03pm On Nov 09, 2011
U may see this, Be informed Its not from the scripture.
http://www.abetterhope.com/whois/gen-2.html
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by inedi: 6:21pm On Nov 11, 2011
plappville:

U may see this, Be informed Its not from the scripture.
http://www.abetterhope.com/whois/gen-2.html

Please I really want to base my judgment on scripture. Thank you sir,
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by Kobojunkie: 1:05am On Apr 02, 2021
inedi:
The bible in Gen 12:1-4 says Now the Lord said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will Shea thee: and I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
And other places in the bible
Interesting question. I think that God still speaks to us all, even via dreams and patterns he puts in our way/life beckoning us to Him. undecided

1 Like

Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by Kobojunkie: 1:07am On Apr 02, 2021
inedi:

My observation and maybe question is that considering the fact that the environment he grew up was that of idol worshipers, and I don't know if the gave an account of him not agreeing with his kings men, what was it about Abraham that cought the attention of God, was as a result of the later account that he was a friend of God.
If you have ever read the book of Jasher, you will find that the story told there is that Abraham was raised by His grandfather when, who also happened to believe in God. undecided
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by Dtruthspeaker: 7:23am On Apr 02, 2021
inedi:

.., what was it about Abraham that cought the attention of God, was as a result of the later account that he was a friend of God.

That is One of the Sweetest Questions I asked too, grin so go find the answer!

Continue the use of your observation skills and Memory, if you still do not find it, then observe the children of men!
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by sonmvayina(m): 9:33am On Apr 02, 2021
Biblical stories are mythological, Allegorical and metaphorical.. They are not actual stories. God is conciouseness..we are expected to read them and learn the messages they contain..

God is not a man or human being. We cant communicate with God the way we communicate with our selves..the only way we can communicate with God is through an oracle..
Re: How Did Abraham Hear The Voice Of God by Kobojunkie: 1:56pm On Apr 02, 2021
plappville:

@Plappvill is a female plz.

Does the bolds states they are scripture facts?? No, Go through it again.
Even my previews post, i said it was not stated in the bible Abraham If he knew God befor call.
We only know he was from an idolatery home. But the Midrashim ve some history that are not mentioned in the bible. U can do some research about it urself.
Try reading the book of Jasher. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Review Of The "10 Things The Bible Never Said About Creation" By Kingebukasblog / Jesus Christ Is The Same Yesterday, Today, And For Ever. / Can Religion Be Logical?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.