Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,902 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? (10135 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? / Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:21pm On Nov 20, 2011
smk90210:

why won't they produce a lot of films in a year when nollywood does not take its time to produce a nice film, in a day they can produce part 1,2 n even 3 of a movie
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by nex(m): 8:37pm On Nov 20, 2011
When a movie like AVATAR comes out with a budget of $500 million, and the average "Nollywood" movie has a budget of $30,000, how can they compete?! Abeg!
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Nov 20, 2011
Actually it is hollywood that can not compete with us. Indeed we are producing good quality with much less money. hollywood is using alot of money to produce a lot of nonsense. To sell their unfit production they add a lot of sexual content and a lot of violence contributing in the creation of a society of pyschopaths. hollywood is also sponsored by the US military which has been using it to produce brain washing propaganda since WW2. Israel is over present in Hollywood and uses it to controle america and american politics.
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by omar22(m): 11:31am On Nov 21, 2011
Actually it is hollywood that can not compete with us. Indeed we are producing good quality with much less money. hollywood is using alot of money to produce a lot of nonsense. To sell their unfit production they add a lot of intimate content and a lot of violence contributing in the creation of a society of pyschopaths. hollywood is also sponsored by the US military which has been using it to produce brain washing propaganda since WW2. Israel is over present in Hollywood and uses it to controle america and american politics.

I stopped reading after the bold part
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by bigsean(m): 3:57am On Nov 27, 2011
Got a shocking revelation that made me eat my previous statement on this post.
BCuZiMBlaCk:

Apparently, African-Americans and even liberal americans watch nigerian movies, as hard as that was for me to believe, cos i'm an advocate of "most (not all, but a huge lot) of nigerian movies are crap", some Americans watch our crap. lol grin
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by anonymous6(f): 7:03pm On Nov 28, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

[font= Times]Anyone who honestly believes that Nollywood can actually rival Hollywood must be deaf, dumb, and blind. Nollywood needs loads of improvement before they get close to or the same level as Hollywood.[/font]
nex:

When a movie like AVATAR comes out with a budget of $500 million, and the average "Nollywood" movie has a budget of $30,000, how can they compete?! Abeg!

The threads article is about the Nollywood vs. Black Hollywood not Nollywood vs. Hollywood. The Black Hollywood & Hollywood industry are different.
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by anonymous6(f): 7:05pm On Nov 28, 2011
big_sean:

Nollywood and Hollywood Black actors combining, NOT HAPPENING!!!!
Before some people crucify me, pls hear me out.
1) Genuinely, there's a cultural difference in what we consider entertainment (ask "akata" to watch basket mouth, and u will see exactly what i mean)

2) nigerians watch 9ja movies and hollywood movies (honestly, we watch everything, Chinese, Indian etc, grin.lol), black americans watch hollywood movies and tyler perry!

[b]Featuring roles [/b]on both parties would be a great idea, but we would watch, if osifo (for example), was in a tyler perry movie, will the international media watch if halle berry was in a nigeria directors movie (dont know any 9ja director's name of the top of my head, lol), will it generate the revenue to be profitable

I agree
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by babyboy3(m): 1:31pm On Nov 29, 2011
The threads article is about the Nollywood vs. Black Hollywood not Nollywood vs. Hollywood. The Black Hollywood & Hollywood industry are different

Whats Black Hollywood? or are you refering to African-American movies or movies acted by African American actresses/actors? because theirs no industry called black hollywood, may be theirs a group of association called Black Hollywood but thiers no legally recognised industry called black Hollywood, because legally Black Hollywood is the name of an record Album
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by anonymous6(f): 5:01pm On Nov 29, 2011
baby-boy:

Whats Black Hollywood? or are you refering to African-American movies or movies acted by African American actresses/actors? because theirs no industry called black hollywood, may be theirs a group of association called Black Hollywood but thiers no legally recognised industry called black Hollywood, because legally Black Hollywood is the name of an record Album

well the african american movie industry is called Black Hollywood, to describe their movies, actors, directors, and etc
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by babyboy3(m): 8:33pm On Nov 29, 2011
african american movie industry is called Black Hollywood

Theirs nothing called african american movie industry

Please prove me wrong
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by anonymous6(f): 9:48pm On Nov 29, 2011
baby-boy:

Theirs nothing called african american movie industry

Please prove me wrong

true but movies made by and portraying african american culture is called that; the word doesn't legally exist but it is used to refer to movies made by the black american demographic. Tyler Perry is considered Black hollywood for example
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by babyboy3(m): 10:04am On Nov 30, 2011
true but movies made by and portraying african american culture is called that; the word doesn't legally exist but it is used to refer to movies made by the black american demographic. Tyler Perry is considered Black hollywood for example

What potrays African American culture in the movies below

Big momma's house
For Colored Girls
Why Did I Get Married Too?
Abduction
Things Fall Apart
Gun
Caught in the Crossfire
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by anonymous6(f): 12:38pm On Dec 02, 2011
baby-boy:

What potrays African American culture in the movies below

Big momma's house
For Colored Girls
Why Did I Get Married Too?
Abduction
Things Fall Apart
Gun
Caught in the Crossfire

for colored girls, big momma's house, why did I get married too; are based on african american culture & are black Hollywood movies, especially "for Colored girls" that was based on a african american play.
For Colored Girls
"Structurally, For Colored Girls is a series of 20 poems, collectively called a "choreopoem." Shange's poetry expresses the many struggles and obstacles that African-American women face throughout their live"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Colored_Girls_Who_Have_Considered_Suicide_When_the_Rainbow_Is_Enuf

Abduction is not even a black Hollywood movie or based on african american culture, the only african american presence is the director. When I say Black hollywood, I mean Tyler Perry movies for example where the director, cast, and etc are black and the plot centers around black american culture. I never seen the other three movies but I read a little on "Caught in the Crossfire", and it seems like a gangster movie to me.

Black Hollywood History
http://www.soulofamerica.com/los-angeles-black-hollywood-history.phtml
Black Hollywood magazine
http://insideblackhollywood.com/
Black Hollywood Blog
http://www.blackhollywoodblog..com/
Others
http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/rockmond_dunbar_there_is_no_black_hollywood_and_i_hate_separatism
Re: Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? by Seandeeds(m): 10:25am On Sep 01, 2014
I remember a producer bragging about producing a movie in just three days...Nothing more to say

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tv In The 80's (nta) / Designated Survivor TV show Fan Page / I Don’t Know What Is Worse – Nigerian Actors Or Nigerian Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.