Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:32 PM

Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? (33211 Views)

University Of Ibadan 2014/15 Admission Process.... / Is University Education Overrated? / Is Unilag Any Better Than Covenant University? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 15, 2011
@bayooooooo

Firstly, French universities rank high among many other universities in USA and UK. The criteria use in the ranking largely favor researches/books published,publishers, etc. And we know that many French speaking countries aren't developed apart from France and you can easily see the reason why translating research journals, books, discoveries ,etc can be more cumbersome for the French to get their works across while for the English, USA is there, UK is there, Canada is there, Australia is there, etc to the benefit of the language.

Secondly, the popularity and how much publicity these universities get.The exposure of French universities to known French speakers is slim because it is not the likely first international language, not as widely use as English language and the simple reason many known speakers of French would attend English speaking universities thereby providing an avenue for more competitions.

Thirdly, the website visitors count, the population of people willing study in English speaking countries universities is larger than the French thereby given more opportunity to the high rise to prospective students for those universities.

On the final note, we now see how language plays its very import role in the whole process of ranking also gives the best students the first choice. That in all ramification,bring about increasing number of good students from around the world and the profile of the universities as well. Actually, there are good universities as good as Harvard in other countries, like in Japan, France, Switzerland,etc. On the contrary, the bottom-line is that in the same countries which have these top universities other third world universities are ranked above them.

Actually, the criteria never really favored non-English speaking country universities - not because of the quality or standard of their system of education. Above all, the learning environment is one of the highest parts of the criteria.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by sheyguy: 11:38pm On Nov 15, 2011
Nobody is talking abt the topic of d thread again, all we r hearing now is ui will be better than cu 4eva, when cu produced 1st class in most dept. It was an offence but ui has finally done the same and suddenly the argument has changed to private uni students r dull cos the r caged and 2 me that 's a weak argument, we know beta what goes on in public schs. They runs everything in public schs. The average jamb score in CU is always higher than most public sch., the equivalent of post UME is harder to pass than most if not all public sch. Plus it is more transparent.

Food for thought:
in CU an engineering student must takes & pass minimum of 200 units of workload b4 u can graduate. Now in this 200 units, courses like industrial training which is weight as 15 units in CU is weight as 6 unit in most if not all federal sch(at least 90%). Some of their courses weight 3 units in fed sch but have been rated 2 units in cu (engr dept especially) to accomodate "covenant's own courses". every student of CU takes 1 unit of theological course and .1 unit entreprenueral course every semester so after 8 semesters for 4 yr program and 9 semesters for 5 yr course u must have taken min 16 or max 18 units extra of course workload.
For those doubting these claims u can verify it from the sch. Website.
Now to be frank fed sch r considered more standard than state schs partly cos of the workload (and rating system) for the rest. I will leave u guy with the facts here to make decisions here for those us who r honest enuf.
If u guys r not satisfied u can go ask from nuetral pple who come in contact with both sets of student for opinion.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by lucarella: 11:42pm On Nov 15, 2011
All of yor ranting about public universities, lemme ask u a question!
If ur parents had the money, will u be in the public universities?? Just stay true 2 urselves. Covenant is by all standards better than UI or any public university. Go and check the labour market, employers want to employ private university graduates.

And if yu have not noticed, big companies are employing very young chaps. Now, out of the one thousand and sumtin students that graduated from dat dead school, i'm so sure that 85% of them are above 25 yrs grin grin. After all the strikes and evrything. And some will even have kids. SMH
Who is interested in wat student the school admits? U admit good students and make them rugged and potential criminals.

Have you ever heard it that a criminal is caught and he's from a private university?? Deceive urself some more!
I am sure that most of those first class students, especially the girls, knw how to get wat they want with wat they have, buy lecturer's books and are a little bit boxed up! mschewwwwww!!
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by hustla(m): 11:42pm On Nov 15, 2011
@OP u disappointed me,I also finished from Covenant Uni dis year, why would u diss anyone cos they do not agree wif ur ideologies??Please that is not u were taught in CU,

UI students are no better than CU students although one has more favourable environ', Federal schls in general r no beta,students sort 3k to get a B in 3unit courses in Ife, on what grounds would ppl actuali compare priv. Unis and federal ones if results can be bought so cheap??

Nigerian students are good and we shld learn to agree and applaud em instead of trying to etch a comparison btwn Unis,

Cheers,
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by sheyguy: 11:44pm On Nov 15, 2011
Correction IT In CU engr. Dept . is actually 6 units while that of public schools is 15 units.
[pls take note]
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by lucarella: 11:47pm On Nov 15, 2011
hustla:

@OP u disappointed me,I also finished from Covenant Uni dis year, why would u diss anyone cos they do not agree wif your ideologies??Please that is not u were taught in CU,

UI students are no better than CU students although one has more favourable environ', Federal schls in general r no beta,students sort 3k to get a B in 3unit courses in Ife, on what grounds would ppl actuali compare priv. Unis and federal ones if results can be bought so cheap??

Nigerian students are good and we shld learn to agree and applaud em instead of trying to etch a comparison btwn Unis,

Cheers, 
u finished from covenant uni? welcme bro. also finished last yr
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Nov 15, 2011
And that is why I don't roll with all this private university students, They've got no hustle in them, bunch of dead folks, anti social cows, and disrespectful to join. Always waiting for mummy and Daddy to do everything for u.Imagine my cousin @ his age of (we're age mates) still always waiting for his mum and dad to do everything for him, If I hear say I send my pikin to private uni, make he go face life jare, read ur books, makes ur choices from alternatives, Isn't dat wat university education is supposed to be about, And to close, let us clear some erroneous views
1. If quality of University education has nuffin to do with quality of students, Ow come universities such as MIT set such high standards for entry level. That opinion is a BIG LIE.
2.Ow come private universitites are always borrowing our lecturers, From my personal experience one of my lecturers said u guys are olodos that he jst thot and passed u to collect ur money and dat he didn't even knw where to start from since ur Year 5 engineering students cudnt design a simply supported slab, smh,
3.Cn I pls just av my peace for once without u guys telling me how they wudnt give exert frm ur secondary school and u cnt come and join me when boys roll, Abegie! I rep unilag always,
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by ektbear: 11:56pm On Nov 15, 2011
lmao @ beyonce university
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 12:23am On Nov 16, 2011
lucarella:

All of yor ranting about public universities, lemme ask u a question!
If your parents had the money, will u be in the public universities?? Just stay true 2 urselves. Covenant is by all standards better than UI or any public university. Go and check the labour market, employers want to employ private university graduates.

And if yu have not noticed, big companies are employing very young chaps. Now, out of the one thousand and sumtin students that graduated from dat dead school, i'm so sure that 85% of them are above 25 yrs grin grin. After all the strikes and evrything. And some will even have kids. SMH
Who is interested in wat student the school admits? U admit good students and make them rugged and potential criminals.

Have you ever heard it that a criminal is caught and he's from a private university?? Deceive urself some more!
I am sure that most of those first class students, especially the girls, knw how to get wat they want with wat they have, buy lecturer's books and are a little bit boxed up! mschewwwwww!!

Let me ask you a honest question.

If you passed JAMB, would you be in that secondary school called Covenant University or is it McDonald University the one in Okija?

Big companies try to employ young chaps only if they are smart, But the ones from CU and co are dead on arrival, Students who couldnt even pass JAMB, How can they hope to pass company aptitude tests?

Below are students from Bowen University a private Uni asked to kneel down

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/399959_IMG01462-20110227-1304_jpgad4ac78bf39ace4dda8b27840d34997a[/img]

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/399958_IMG01461-20110227-1304_jpgb775ee97573fafe68ca0e662369bf9ba[/img]

I would never send my kids to any school where they would be asked to kneel down
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by KenJADE(m): 12:30am On Nov 16, 2011
all of these long posts re baseless. Public universities are better. Take it or leave it. Train ur child to pass Jamb and Post Utme.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by KenJADE(m): 12:31am On Nov 16, 2011
all of these long posts re baseless. Public universities are better. Take it or leave it. Train ur child to pass Jamb and Post Utme.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by lucarella: 12:46am On Nov 16, 2011
dayokanu:

Let me ask you a honest question.

If you passed JAMB, would you be in that secondary school called Covenant University or is it McDonald University the one in Okija?

Big companies try to employ young chaps only if they are smart, But the ones from CU and co are dead on arrival, Students who couldnt even pass JAMB, How can they hope to pass company aptitude tests?

Below are students from Bowen University a private Uni asked to kneel down

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/399959_IMG01462-20110227-1304_jpgad4ac78bf39ace4dda8b27840d34997a[/img]

[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/399958_IMG01461-20110227-1304_jpgb775ee97573fafe68ca0e662369bf9ba[/img]

I would never send my kids to any school where they would be asked to kneel down

hey dude! i got a 256 in jamb in my first sitting. so stop talking trash. i knw it must have taken u lyk 5 yrs 2 get that, and dats y u r proud ryt? deceive urself. And u pple claim 2 be smart?? SMH!
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 2:12am On Nov 16, 2011
If you had a 256 in JAMB you would not be sent to a school where they would tell you to kneel down.

Your parent must be so tired of you failing JAMB countless times that they sent you to a University where you wont be allowed to use mobile phone and would have to wear a uniform like prisoners

In that picture can you spot yourself kneeling down?
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by ektbear: 2:14am On Nov 16, 2011
My little cousin goes to Bowen, lol. Hrm. I don't know the guy well though, not sure how smart/dumb he is.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 2:15am On Nov 16, 2011
ekt_bear:

DKs comment was really easy to understand, lol. Shouldn't have been something to struggle with so much.

At any rate, the future will belong to these private schools, simply because they are better funded. At the end of the day, money matters.

Perhaps unfortunate, but true.

Btw I didn't realize these private schools were kids too dumb to get into federal university. I guess it kind of makes sense that this would be true to some extent.

its not quite that straighforward

people with means no longer send their kids to our institutions - strike issues and outdated curricula

there was a corper a few years back - dad is a ui lecturer, but the guy went to uni in ghana

some of the CU grads that have worked with me are sharp

our students are too far behind in some technical hands on etal

and unless thhings change significantly, which is unlikely - none of us (dk included) will send our kids to federal universities - they will be at too muh of a competitive disadvantage.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:17am On Nov 16, 2011
dayokanu:

If you had a 256 in JAMB you would not be sent to a school where they would tell you to kneel down.

Your parent must be so tired of you failing JAMB countless times that they sent you to a University where you wont be allowed to use mobile phone and would have to wear a uniform like prisoners

In that picture can you spot yourself kneeling down?
KenJADE:

all of these long posts re baseless. Public universities are better. Take it or leave it. Train your child to pass Jamb and Post Utme.
they make u prepared for the future. How u can stand on ur own
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by ektbear: 2:22am On Nov 16, 2011
oyb:

its not quite that straighforward

people with means no longer send their kids to our institutions - strike issues and outdated curricula

there was a corper a few years back - dad is a ui lecturer, but the guy went to uni in ghana

some of the CU grads that have worked with me are sharp

our students are too far behind in some technical hands on etal

and unless thhings change significantly, which is unlikely - none of us (dk included) will send our kids to federal universities - they will be at too muh of a competitive disadvantage.

I agree that if you have money, you won't send your kid to a federal university in Nigeria. You'd send them abroad.

I'm not saying BTW that all CU grads are dumb. I'm just thinking that there is some truth to what DK says that on average, they aren't as bright as someone who gets into a federal university. Granted it isn't like I have JAMB data to know if this is true or not.

And of course, this may change in the future, who knows.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 2:31am On Nov 16, 2011
If you have money you would simply send your children abroad.

Most of those who went to private schools were those who couldnt pass UME.

A basic Material balance equation is Inflow + Addition = Outflow + (Accumulation)

Inflow = UME rejects,
Addition = Knowledge added to them from substandard tutors or at best Lecturers on sabbatical.
Now tell me what you expect the outflow to be? Outflow would simply be dregs/scums of the society

Most lecturers when their children couldn't pass UME just sent them to Babcock.

I know a guy whom everyone had given up on him going to a school, He even failed at Federal Poly Offa

Next thing I heard he was in Covenant. and guess what? He graduated with a 2-1

I'm sorry of you cant pass UME then you cant be considered to be smart at all

A University is where thinkers are groomed not where students kneel down
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Nobody: 2:38am On Nov 16, 2011
dayokanu:

If you have money you would simply send your children abroad.

Most of those who went to private schools were those who couldnt pass UME.

A basic Material balance equation is Inflow + Addition = Outflow + (Accumulation)

Inflow = UME rejects,
Addition = Knowledge added to them from substandard tutors or at best Lecturers on sabbatical.
Now tell me what you expect the outflow to be? Outflow would simply be dregs/scums of the society

Most lecturers when their children couldn't pass UME just sent them to Babcock.

I know a guy whom everyone had given up on him going to a school, He even failed at Federal Poly Offa

Next thing I heard he was in Covenant. and guess what? He graduated with a 2-1

I'm sorry of you cant pass UME then you cant be considered to be smart at all

A University is where thinkers are groomed not where students kneel down

a lot of nigerians balk at sending their kids abroad for first degree.

we also have people who are dumb in regular unis.

the issue for me is that our unis are mostly teaching what our parents were taught, and with the same tools

in unilag they taught my brother engineering drawing with tee square and drawing board , just as i did in unilorin years back. today i'm a cad guru, but i had to teach myself. theres a CU grad in my office who is CAD literate because they were taught in school. if i'm hiring, i'm goin o want a person who will require the least training before he can get up to speed.

then there's programming, where most of our grads only did some 'algorithm' and learnt C , not c#, not c++, C
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by tpia5: 2:40am On Nov 16, 2011
I agree that if you have money, you won't send your kid to a federal university in Nigeria. You'd send them abroad

not quite true.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by tpia5: 2:47am On Nov 16, 2011
@ badmussy

your english falls far short of your claims.

hope you get what i mean?

someone who passed through a university [no matter which one] should be able to express themselves better than that.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 2:52am On Nov 16, 2011
oyb:

the issue for me is that our unis are mostly teaching what our parents were taught, and with the same tools

in unilag they taught my brother engineering drawing with tee square and drawing board , just as i did in unilorin years back. today i'm a cad guru, but i had to teach myself. theres a CU grad in my office who is CAD literate because they were taught in school. if i'm hiring, i'm goin o want a person who will require the  least training before he can get up to speed.

then there's programming, where most of our grads only did some 'algorithm' and learnt C , not c#, not c++, C

A university is mostly to broaden your mind and not teach your specific skills

I would hire a T square engineer if he is inherently more intelligent than the CAD engineer.

How long does it take to teach CAD few weeks or months, How long does it take to get native intelligence? A lifetime

And even Private Uni dudes even on here confessed that Federal Uni guys are better in Aptitude and reasoning tests

Bill Gates probably went to school and learnt in the time of "Slide rule" Calculator but now he writes programs and design fast processors.

Give me an intelligent dude and I am OK not one who couldnt pass UME

I digress

Most consulting companies and even Business Schools just look for smart kids regardless of your background

Thats why Standardized tests dont evaluate Subject skills but rather native intelligence

E.g SAT, GRE, GMAT would never test Calculus but basic Maths you should have learnt in JSS2.

I remember in secondary school some students would be showing off with their Texas Instruments calculators while we are battling with Four figure tables.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 2:57am On Nov 16, 2011
oyb:

in unilag they taught my brother engineering drawing with tee square and drawing board , just as i did in unilorin years back. today i'm a cad guru, but i had to teach myself. theres a CU grad in my office who is CAD literate because they were taught in school. if i'm hiring, i'm goin o want a person who will require the least training before he can get up to speed.

A university IMO is mostly to broaden your mind and not teach your specific skills thats probably the job of a technical College.

That is why you would have Science and Engineering graduates excelling in places like Wall Streets, ACCA, CFA etc are dominated mainly by Science/Engineering grads

These guys didnt learn Debit and credit in School. I know of a Big 4 Accounting firm whose leader in Nigeria studied Mechanical Engineering.

I would hire a T square engineer if he is inherently more intelligent than the CAD engineer.

How long does it take to teach CAD few weeks or months, How long does it take to get native intelligence? A lifetime

And even Private Uni dudes even on here confessed that Federal Uni guys are better in Aptitude and reasoning tests

Bill Gates probably went to school and learnt in the time of "Slide rule" Calculator but now he writes programs and design fast processors.

Give me an intelligent dude and I am OK not one who couldnt pass UME

I digress

Most consulting companies and even Business Schools just look for smart kids regardless of your background

Thats why Standardized tests dont evaluate Subject skills but rather native intelligence

E.g SAT, GRE, GMAT would never test Calculus but basic Maths you should have learnt in JSS2.

I remember in secondary school some students would be showing off with their Texas Instruments calculators while we are battling with Four figure tables.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by ektbear: 3:21am On Nov 16, 2011
I agree. Hire the smartest people you can find rather than purely just knowledgeable. After all, smart people can pick up knowledge pretty damn quickly.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by missuzoma: 4:20am On Nov 16, 2011
i can see that most of de people commenting on cu dont know anything about the place. the process of gaining admission there is too rigorous for words. you dare not show up with a low jamb score for the cusat neither will anyone allow you in without de correct waec result. they only need to relax a few rules but they do look beautiful in those approved corporate clothes.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by ijigbamigb(m): 5:37am On Nov 16, 2011
To me, this is a useless thread.
Mr. Poster, the 2 basic function of a university is
1. Research
2. Learning

In the aspect of research, no private university in Nigeria has ever or can ever surpass the achievement of Federal Universities or Some State Universities. Who are those that embark on true researches in private universities. I am a product of a State University and at Diploma level in 2005, my research topic was
"Oil Remittance, Resource Control and Nigerian Federalism: Ending the Niger-Delta Crisis" This took me for the first time to Bayelsa State, Delta, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Edo and Ondo. My final research study is on "Post Osama-Bin Laden: Issues and Challenges on Global Peace and Terrorism". My brother, I have met graduates from Covenant, and Babcok or (whatever the name is) and I can tell they are good but not vast. (dem sabi speak english lyke mad grin ). I read with my dearest touch-light phone or candles and I am proud of myself.

In the Learning aspect, Nigerian Students are good but are not well-drilled. Universities are loosing touch with contemporary issues and demands.

I urge anyone to examine the Nigeria labor market and verify this ranking in terms of labor demands
1. Fed Unis
2. State Unis and Private UNIs (battle of supremacy)

but guy, UI to CU, haba the journey far.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Olalekan0(m): 6:31am On Nov 16, 2011
Don't be fooled,all Nigerian schools are the same. The only edge a private uni has is that strike actions are non-evident.
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by frankmoney(m): 7:05am On Nov 16, 2011
Anybody that says covenant is better than ui is a complete fool, covenant is not up to half of the standards of sme state uni , covenant u guys should compare yourself with polytechnic skuls
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Acidosis(m): 7:12am On Nov 16, 2011
frankmoney:

Anybody that says covenant is better than ui is a complete fool, covenant is not up to half of the standards of sme state uni , covenant u guys should compare yourself with polytechnic skuls
are you ok?
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by Acidosis(m): 7:35am On Nov 16, 2011
I know Professors in my school (state uni), profs that are in high positions in my school like Dean, Directors, that have their wards in these private schools. There is a particular prof that have 3 children there and 2 of his children are now graduates working in one of these multinational companies in Nigeria.
I know some public and 'hard' working followers of the federal schools would come and tell me that those children could not pass Jamb. Now if you must know, these are profs that admit students on their own, they don't even need your score to help you not to talk of their own biological children. Some people can't reason at all, well I don't blame y'all since you were all trained (public schools) to read under stress, tension, threats etc., I once meant with a guy that said, '' I read and understand better when I read with candle or lantern'' lol. .
On a more realistic note, lack of money a.k.a poverty is a key reason why some hate our private schools.
Why would you take your kid to oba-ile grammar school when you can afford The staff secondary school of American University Of Nigeria
Re: Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? by dayokanu(m): 7:41am On Nov 16, 2011
^^ In most Federal University, If you are the son of the VC and you score below 200, You cant get admission. Simple

Unlike in all those private Unis

When Lecturer kids cant pass UME or get up to 200, they quickly send them to those post Secondary schools

Ask most of the Covenant Students, which school was their first choice in the UME exams

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Ishaq Oloyede Resumes As JAMB Registrar; See How He Was Received (photos) / Post UME Has Been Cancelled In Nigerian Universities / Daniel Nkemelu Has 7.0 CGPA As Unibadan's Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.