Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,136 members, 7,957,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:53 AM

62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN (14809 Views)

51 Bag First Class In UNIOSUN / 69 Bag First Class As 6,710 Students Graduated From UNILORIN / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 1:15pm On Nov 17, 2011
@ jarus : i partly disagree to yur point.two lasu law graduates having 2.2 and 2.1 in lasu both made distinction and emerged as best graduating student in the nig law sch last month.so they are indirectly a a 1st class but laSU DENIED THEM THE because d sch is tough and dnt dash out 1st class LiKE OTHER sch
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by chamber2(m): 1:24pm On Nov 17, 2011
oyb:

you know the principle of ivy league universities?

in nigeria the old federal schools are the closest we have to that

the state unis are somewhere below what are community colleges in the us

i wonder if with all this spirited defence of state unis, you'd send a ward to one of them if you had the choice of a federal institution

My point is, not everybody who attends state uni is dumb or unable to gain admission into the federal uni.Also, not everybody who attends a federal uni is smart. If that is the case, making generalisation on this issue will be defeatist.In addition, I can only describe the 9ja fed unis as being our own ivy league unis based on the quality of their research output, graduate employ-ability, inventions, contribution to community service etc. These are qualities ivy league unis are known for and not this dilly-willy fed universities. A third class graduate of an ivy league uni is capable of doing what a first class or even lecturers of most fed unis can only dream of.

Unfortunately, Nigerian universities in general have no record of what their students do after graduation. That would have, to an extent, given a tip of the relative level of smartness amongst each category. Therefore, it will be hard to determine who among federal and state uni grads is smart. After all, both graduates of the two unis struggle in the same labour market, get similar type of job and are also affected by unemployment. Unlike in the US, where the Ivy league unis dominate certain industries and occupation.

I would send my child to a federal uni, not because it's better, but because it is relatively cheaper.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sheyguy: 1:43pm On Nov 17, 2011
quote author=luvola link=topic=805294.msg9576813#msg9576813 date=1321532148]
@ jarus : i partly disagree to yur point.two lasu law graduates having 2.2 and 2.1 in lasu both made distinction and emerged as best graduating student in the nig law sch last month.so they are indirectly a a 1st class but laSU DENIED THEM THE because d sch is tough and dnt dash out 1st class LiKE OTHER sch
[quote][/quote]
to dash out mean to give out as favour not deserved. U said other sch dash out "their" - 1st class , lasu one the other hand has refused to give out first class to students deserving of these grades, now that signifies the low standard of lasu and not the other way round.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Nobody: 1:47pm On Nov 17, 2011
oyb:

add to the fact that to para quote dk on the private uni thread - most state unis are bottom of the barrel institutions for those who could not make it into federal universities. the number of smart people who got fked over by jamb in those institutions will be very small.

i already pointed out that some of the students there will be smart people who got fked over by jamb.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by atasteve: 1:55pm On Nov 17, 2011
Let's wait and see the impact of these number on the country's development.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by vic2011: 2:48pm On Nov 17, 2011
so having a first class will get u a job in nigeria?
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Natasha2(f): 3:06pm On Nov 17, 2011
^why are you bad mouthing? must you talk about something negative in something positive? pheww if a first class won't get you a job hopefully a pass will get you one phewwww

to say that out of over eight thousand graduates only 62 bag a first class some of you still think it was dashed out? really? I don't think so.

anishe:

What is wrong if all the students make first class? If they work hard enough, why not?
i wonder oh the university is not like secondary school where we have first second and third, in the uni many people can make first class grade its not like its just for one person

Instead of commending their hard work others are talking about trivial issues
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by teejan: 3:10pm On Nov 17, 2011
Schools like UNIBEN,UI and UNILAG are relatively easier to make first class or 2.1 in a school like Lautech or Lasu there is a high tendency of not making good grades,today i can confidently say that graduates of Lautech have blazed the trail and work in top notch companies in Nigeria and diaspora.Even the university of ibadan faculty of technology Postgraduate school can attest to the quality of Lautech grads.All these noise about UNIBEN,UNILAG and UI ARE JUST overhyped.They aint the best.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by solaceguy(m): 3:11pm On Nov 17, 2011
K
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by chamber2(m): 3:29pm On Nov 17, 2011
All this talk about it's harder to make a first class in my school is rather unfortunate. First class in any institution requires a certain level of hard work and determination.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by kizito96(m): 4:26pm On Nov 17, 2011
A bunch of Educated Illiterates
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Jarus(m): 4:53pm On Nov 17, 2011
chamber2:

All this talk about it's harder to make a first class in my school is rather unfortunate. First class in any institution requires a certain level of hard work and determination.
That has always been my conviction too.
Even if other factors come to you advantage/disadvantage, more than those factors a certain level of hardwork and determination is basic.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Natasha2(f): 5:04pm On Nov 17, 2011
chamber2:

Exactly
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 6:38pm On Nov 17, 2011
Jarus:

That has always been my conviction too.
Even if other factors come to you advantage/disadvantage, more than those factors a certain level of hardwork and determination is basic.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by gascoign1(m): 7:49pm On Nov 17, 2011
First class here and there and yet no goods is ''made in Nigeria'' not even a mobile phone earpiece
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sidnazious(m): 8:44pm On Nov 17, 2011
Whichever school you go to, First class is all about your discipline, determination and hardwork, private, federal or state school. Most first class candidates will make it in any school.

It's not a criteria for employment, but it sure helps to be among the top 5% of your class. wink

For those hating go to UNILAG and make first class na, shei dem dey pick am for ground. shocked

Sit your arse up and stop hating, Big ups to our first class brothers jor for any school, e no easy. smiley
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by gokuu(m): 9:06pm On Nov 17, 2011
sidnazious:

Whichever school you go to, First class is all about your discipline, determination and hardwork, private, federal or state school. Most first class candidates will make it in any school.

It's not a criteria for employment, but it sure helps to be among the top 5% of your class. wink

For those hating go to UNILAG and make first class na, shei dem dey pick am for ground. shocked

Sit your arse up and stop hating, Big ups to our first class brothers jor for any school, e no easy. smiley
Don't mind them, lazy students will always rant when they fail and a few others Succeed
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by oc2fish: 9:47pm On Nov 17, 2011
Its easier to get a 1st class in a school like UNIBEN compared to DELSU where your G.P every section is of the same ratio. You write essays and theories in the exams as against the too many MCQs written in UNIBEN. In DELSU, you hardly see 1 or 2 first class students out of 2000 graduating students. The lecturers are strict just because some of them made 3rd class while in school, so they believe its not possible for anyone to make higher scores. Some lecturers even vow that no one will make a C in their course. Now you understand why private schools are prefferable to any of these states and Federal schools. .

@ AIDIOSIS
Students like Biego, Ukaba and Aramide did made 1st class in DELSU Asaba campus and they are today graduate assistant in the department the two girls that made 1st class in management sciences have been sent abroad to study. Belive this if you merit 1st class nobody can stop you infact it is easier to make 1st class in state uni than fed uni. On the issue of electricity and 1st generation uni it may suprise to know that light is constant in ui and even unilag the authority know that student cook with light hence they don temper with it.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by ifewise(m): 9:53pm On Nov 17, 2011
@luvola i totally agree wit u.i read in a news bulletin about a lasu student who studied law and graduated wit a 2.1 but went for her postgraduate studies at harvard uni and finished as d best student in a dept full of first class student all ova d world.when she was asked why she graduated wit a 2.1 in her uni,she simply said "2.1 in my uni is equivalent 2 1st class in oda universities".
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Cool83(m): 10:18pm On Nov 17, 2011
Kudos to anyone that came out with first class in any school,i knew what i went through before having 2.1 in TASUED,but i believe that most first class graduate of private university will never make 2.1 in public univ
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sheyguy: 10:42pm On Nov 17, 2011
Cool83:

Kudos to anyone that came out with first class in any school,i knew what i went through before having 2.1 in TASUED,but i believe that most first class graduate of private university will never make 2.1 in public univ
Joke of the year. She shld tell us she wasn't serious while at lasu.
The same lasu law dept. where they admit post UME Score of less 30% in the presence of other 67%.
Pls tell us a better joke.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sheyguy: 10:48pm On Nov 17, 2011
Joke of the year. She shld tell us she wasn't serious while at lasu.
The same lasu law dept. where they admit post UME Score of less 30% in the presence of other 67%.
Pls tell us a better joke.

ife-wise:

@luvola i totally agree wit u.i read in a news bulletin about a lasu student who studied law and graduated wit a 2.1 but went for her postgraduate studies at harvard uni and finished as d best student in a dept full of first class student all ova d world.when she was asked why she graduated wit a 2.1 in her uni,she simply said "2.1 in my uni is equivalent 2 1st class in oda universities".
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by sheyguy: 11:00pm On Nov 17, 2011
Cool83:

what makes u say a 2.1 in your sch. Is a first in any private uni.?
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by markovnikoff001(m): 11:09pm On Nov 17, 2011
Ask anyone who attended a State University what their first choice was, they will probably tell you it's a Federal University. The Federal Universities become spoilt for choice, so they only admit the cream of the crop. I am not saying the admission procedures are flawless, but eventually more brilliant candidates end up in Federal Universities than in State ones. I think that takes care of the "more first class graduands seem to come from Federal Universities."

As for the "how can so many students make first class?" One needs to understand what it takes to make a first class:
Make a CGPA above 4.50/5.00 on graduation (don't know that for schools that work on a different scale).
How does one make this CGPA? Make As in most of your courses while scoring only but a few Cs.
How does one make As? Score above 69.9%.

I know 70% is not that easy to achieve, but that is what grabbing a First Class is really all about: scoring 70% and above.

You do not have to be a super-human or an extra-terrestrial to score above 70%; some of us here at one time or the other made A's in some of the courses we did at school, so extrapolate that to about four-fifths of all the courses you offered at school and you will understand how people make a First Class.

First Class graduands are just better at passing exams than other students (all things being equal), there is nothing more to it than that! They read, they recollect and they respond to exam questions, correctly!

Competition between students in a particular class, department or faculty sometimes work to raise the number of First Class candidates. A situation like this took place in my class where we produced 16 First Class graduands from a class of 70 students! Unbelievable, yeah? If I told you where they all are now, then you'll probably believe me.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 11:27pm On Nov 17, 2011
@ ife-wise - hel me post the link to this retardeen sheyguy. go and make enquiries at nig law school about how they top their peers. u can never have 1st class in lasu law faculty,i will implore u to mobilise all private universities law student to contest with our law students .
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 11:41pm On Nov 17, 2011
there was this guy that left my dept(accounting) at the end of yr 1 with a cgpa of 3.66,he left lasu for unilag due to the fustration he was facing. this dude is on c.g.p.a of 4.89 at unilag (400l) now. a female friend also left with 2.2 in 200l and she is on cgpa of 4.84 at osun state university. the truith is that the environment in state univ is not as conducive as private univ. . .
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 11:58pm On Nov 17, 2011
there was a day one of my dept lecturer was making fun of convenant university,he said he was forced to upgrade the score of the students because bishop will reject the result if they perform poor.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by tanimola22: 1:00am On Nov 18, 2011
Let the take you on.

The top notch guys from the schools you mentioned don't do master's in Africa. So, how di
teejan:

Schools like UNIBEN,UI and UNILAG are relatively easier to make first class or 2.1 in a school like Lautech or Lasu there is a high tendency of not making good grades,today i can confidently say that graduates of Lautech have blazed the trail and work in top notch companies in Nigeria and diaspora.Even the university of ibadan faculty of technology Postgraduate school can attest to the quality of Lautech grads.All these noise about UNIBEN,UNILAG and UI ARE JUST overhyped.They aint the best.
d

The top notch guys that graduated from the schools you mentioned don't do master's in Africa. So, how did conclude that graduates from these schools are over-hyped?

This is the same way students from Virginia Tech complain about Harvard graduates not being better than them. But we all know the ones ahead!
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by Theblessed(f): 1:29am On Nov 18, 2011
[size=16pt]

Again?  Another one this year?  undecided undecided undecided

? ? ?  cool cool cool
[/size]
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by tunene: 8:36am On Nov 18, 2011
Why would people not just grow up. First class is earned and not given. You can give whatever you want to anyone you want, you won't get a first class, you have to earn it. When students fail, they would say my lecturer failed me, when they passed, I passed that course. They have brought the same spirit to this first class issue, when people can't make first class, they would say my school don't just dash out first class while other schools do. Nonsense.

The only little thing I see is that sometimes, some good students have issues in their early years, and so they end up not making first class especially in schools which run on the CGPA system and not the percentage system. Even this case is rare.

FIRST CLASS IS EARNED NOT GIVEN.
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by luvola(m): 8:51am On Nov 18, 2011
the question we are asking is WHY IS THAT IT IS EASIER TO MAKE FIRST CLASS IN PRIVATE AND FEDERAL UNIVERSITIES ,DOES THAT MEAN STATE UNIV STUDENTS AREN'T BRILLIANT ENOUGH ? DOES THAT MEAN PRIVATE UNIVs ARE BETTER THAN STATE UNIV. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A STATE UNIV CONVOCATING 62 FIRST CLASS. THESE ARE FACT WHICH EVERYONE KNOWS. THE FACT IS THAT STATE UNIVs IS MORE FUSTRATING THAN BOTH FEDERAL AND PRIVATE UNIVs
Re: 62 Graduates Bag First Class In UNIBEN by redleich(m): 9:17am On Nov 18, 2011
Thats me Almer mata, UNIBEN ROCKS!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kogi State University 2013/2014 Admission Update / Who Is To Blame For The Rot In Our Education System? / Nigerian Emerges Best Student Mathematician In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.