Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees (38839 Views)

Proliferation Of First Class Degrees In Private Varsities The PUNCH / A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / 87 Students Bag First Class In UNILAG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Sunnybobo3(m): 3:38pm On Jan 26, 2013
Nsukka (Enugu State) -  Prof. Bartho Okolo, Vice-Chancellor, University of Nsukka on Friday, announced that 116 students of the 2011/2012 batch of graduates bagged first class degrees.

Okolo made the announcement in Nsukka during the university’s 42nd convocation and award of Bachelors degree and certificates.

He said that out of 18,150 graduates, 116 excelled in First Class, 4,405 made 2nd Class Upper Division; 10,048 made 2nd Class Lower Division and 2,633 went home with 3rd Class.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/116-students-bag-1st-class-degrees-from-unn/

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Afam4eva(m): 3:39pm On Jan 26, 2013
This is really an achievement considering the fact that UNN is one of the most difficult schools to come out with a first class. 1st class materials in some other schools are 2nd class materials in UNN.

21 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 26, 2013
Afam4eva: This is really an achievement considering the fact that UNN is one of the most difficult schools to come out with a first class. 1st class materials in other schools are 2nd class materials in UNN.

You are correct

It is a tough school.
The cut off marks are extremely high also
Congrats to the high achievers

4 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by otokx(m): 3:51pm On Jan 26, 2013
boasters must boast yet in the end self delusion is it.

3 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by musiwa14: 4:02pm On Jan 26, 2013
i dont think so.. There is something wrong with UNN.... It looks funny that they graduate 18k student...

The reason is... their graduate do not refer it.. Look most school in nigeria gradute less than 5,000 new gradute but UNN is graduting 18k, there is something wrong with UNN.. and that number of first class is what it may take unilorin to produce in 3 to 4 years..

There is something wrong somewhere..

18k student.. when the other universities are graduating less than 5 k... haba... now cash and carry be this..

8 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Afam4eva(m): 4:05pm On Jan 26, 2013
musiwa14: i dont think so.. There is something wrong with UNN.... It looks funny that they graduate 18k student...

The reason is... there graduate do not refer it.. Look most school in nigeria gradute less than 5,000 new gradute but UNN is graduting 18k, there is something wrong with UNN.. and that number of first class is what it may take unilorin to produce in 3 to 4 years..

18k student.. when the other universities are graduating less than 5 k... haba... now cash and carry be this..
Could it be that the population of UNN is more than that of some other schools? Also don't forget that UNN has a campus in Enugu and the number could be a combination of students from all their campus.

3 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 26, 2013
musiwa14: i dont think so.. There is something wrong with UNN.... It looks funny that they graduate 18k student...

The reason is... there graduate do not refer it.. Look most school in nigeria gradute less than 5,000 new gradute but UNN is graduting 18k, there is something wrong with UNN.. and that number of first class is what it may take unilorin to produce in 3 to 4 years..

it is a big school
Shouldn't that be an easy explanation?

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by musiwa14: 4:17pm On Jan 26, 2013
You can see from the video, that a first class student to be from UNN , that can not speak english well and listen to her..

And Goodluck just reward the man who made the life this students this way... minister..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvkPZm4YYc

5 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by dayokanu(m): 4:21pm On Jan 26, 2013
I think that 18,000 is on the high side.

That must mean the total population of the school is like 100k

That would make it the most populated school in Nigeria

I suspect it might be a reporting error by the newspaper

Even in the US where education and literacy rate is high I dont think any school has 100k students

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/the-short-list-college/articles/2012/11/06/10-universities-with-most-undergrad-students

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:21pm On Jan 26, 2013
musiwa14: this is one of the UNN first class, listen to her english, and she read something in art.. listen to her english... she made first class or so.. Something is wrong with UNN

You can see from the video, that a first class student from UNN , that can not speak english well and listen to her..

That is a matriculating student BTW
What is wrong with her English?
She has a slight speech impediment but she speaks a million times better than you

21 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by dayokanu(m): 4:22pm On Jan 26, 2013
musiwa14: this is one of the UNN first class, listen to her english, and she read something in art.. listen to her english... she made first class or so.. Something is wrong with UNN

You can see from the video, that a first class student from UNN , that can not speak english well and listen to her..

And Goodluck just reward the man who made the life this students this way... minister..

Musiwa can you teach them Batu Yinglish in UNN? I knows the VC I can told him you are a graduate of Electricity Engineer from UNILORIN and you knows Adeboye Oyedepo and everyone that matters

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:22pm On Jan 26, 2013
dayokanu: I think that 18,000 is on the high side.

Even in the US where education and literacy rate is high I dont think any school has 100k students

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/the-short-list-college/articles/2012/11/06/10-universities-with-most-undergrad-students

The school has 2 campuses plus a college of medicine
I dont know any other federal uni in Nigeria that operates two virtually independent campuses

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Afam4eva(m): 4:23pm On Jan 26, 2013
dayokanu: I think that 18,000 is on the high side.

I thought about that too cos even if UNN is the most populous school in the country, 18000 students graduating is just too much.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by musiwa14: 4:23pm On Jan 26, 2013
it is not the population, we are talking about... But the population of graduate compare to other nigeria universities. It means they are just graduating anybody at UNN with first class....

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by musiwa14: 4:27pm On Jan 26, 2013
either matriculating or not. she cant speak english.... that should be a concern for anyone..

many graduate from there too , have the same problem..

31 1st Class Students Out Of 5,556 Graduates In University Of Ilorin by darilldrems: 3:42pm On Nov 08, 2012
he University of Ilorin made history again as it produced the highest number of first class graduates in the history of the institution during the 2011/2012 academic session.

This was contained in a speech delivered by the immediate past vice chancellor, Professor Is-haq Oloyede, recently, during an interactive session with the press at the university auditorium. The immediate past vice chancellor also disclosed that the university produced the highest number of Ph.D. degrees during the same academic session...

Continue Reading at http://universitiesofnigeria.com/31-1st-class-students-out-of-5556-graduates/
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
I thought about that too cos even if UNN is the most populous school in the country, 18000 students graduating is just too much.

They gave a break down of the results so I think they are correct
Do you know how many halls of residence there are in UNN?

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by dayokanu(m): 4:28pm On Jan 26, 2013
babyosisi:

The school has 2 campuses plus a college of medicine
I dont know any other federal uni in Nigeria that operates two virtually independent campuses

Even with 2 campuses its too much. The average Nigerian first generation University population is like 20k

Given that UNN would be among the top 5 most difficult University to get into then the figure is even more ridiculous

Almost every school has a college of medicine and several schools have satellite campuses. LASU e.g has in Ojo and Epe also College of medicine

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Afam4eva(m): 4:29pm On Jan 26, 2013
musiwa14: either matriculating or not. she cant speak english.... that should be a concern for anyone..

many graduate from there too , have the same problem..

Talk about pot calling kettle black. SMDH!

9 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by dayokanu(m): 4:31pm On Jan 26, 2013
Afam4eva:

Talk about pot calling kettle black. SMDH!

He he. Abeg no talk about Musiwas English. Its the bestest ever. Its Batu you dont understand, Jarus can hep you
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Afam4eva(m): 4:33pm On Jan 26, 2013
is UNN is graduating 18,000 students it means the average population of the school will be like 18,000 X 4 = 72,000

This is a lot but i know some public schools in the US with similar population.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 26, 2013
dayokanu:

Even with 2 campuses its too much. The average Nigerian first generation University population is like 20k

Given that UNN would be among the top 5 most difficult University to get into then the figure is even more ridiculous

Almost every school has a college of medicine and several schools have satellite campuses. LASU e.g has in Ojo and Epe also College of medicine

I see your point though
They had a lot of what they called sandwich students back then too,dunno if they still exist
They were teachers with NCE and HND who did courses in the Summer to upgrade to a BACHELORS
They are not usually regarded as campus population but they participate in graduation
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 26, 2013
Afam4eva: is UNN is graduating 18,000 students it means the average population of the school will be like 18,000 X 4 = 72,000

With all this distance learning stuff who knows
It may be possible
The actual population on campus will be less than the actual students graduating
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by dayokanu(m): 4:36pm On Jan 26, 2013
Schools of UNN status

The Obafemi Awolowo University OAU, Ile-Ife, Osun State graduated no fewer than 78 first class degree holders at its 39th convocation ceremony held recently in the institution.

The Vice- Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Bamitale Omole, stated this on Thursday during the ceremony, which saw the conferment of 5, 249 first degrees and 3, 363 postgraduate degrees on students.

A total of 8,159 students graduated from the University of Lagos today.

Out of the total number, 4,375 received first degrees while 3,784 received post graduate degrees. Of the first degree graduating students, 122 passed in first class division, with the Faculty of Engineering topping the list.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by musiwa14: 4:36pm On Jan 26, 2013
you dont see anything wrong with that, look at other student from nigeria. listen to their english

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD7RFEV5U0

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 26, 2013
dayokanu: Schools of UNN status

UI is much smaller than UNN
I am so sure of that

1 Like

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Afam4eva(m): 4:37pm On Jan 26, 2013
babyosisi:

It may be possible
The actual population on campus will be less than the actual students graduating
I thought those distance learning stuff have been banned.
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by dayokanu(m): 4:38pm On Jan 26, 2013
Afam4eva: is UNN is graduating 18,000 students it means the average population of the school will be like 18,000 X 4 = 72,000

Some courses are 5 years some 6yrs.

Student population reduces as you go higher cos people drop out carryover etc

If Final year is 18,000 then Year one/Matriculating students would be like 40,000

Check the link I posted for US University population and its nowhere near that figure

2 Likes

Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
I thought those distance learning stuff have been banned.

I dunno
I have been gone from Nigeria a while
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by musiwa14: 4:38pm On Jan 26, 2013
when i graduated from university of ilorin of the 125 or 128 student... only 51 graduated...

of the 500 student of engineering , i think only 200 graduated..
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jan 26, 2013
musiwa14: You can see from the video, that a first class student to be from UNN , that can not speak english well and listen to her..

Ogbeni,did she write her exams in Arabic? no be English she use? if Patience Jonathan cannot speak English fluently and yet she is the First Lady of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,why are you bothered? undecided undecided undecided.My worries though is the Labour market.with more than a million jobless youths....i just wonder.smh cry cry
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by dayokanu(m): 4:40pm On Jan 26, 2013
babyosisi:
It may be possible

NUC banned all Campuses and distance learning program thats over 50kilometers(Not sure) from the main campus

Thats why In Lagos all those Ambrose Alli, Delsu, UNICAL programs no longer exist. The law has been for like 10yrs iirc
Re: 116 UNN Students Bag First Class Degrees by dayokanu(m): 4:43pm On Jan 26, 2013
musiwa14: when i graduated from university of ilorin of the 125 or 128 student... only 51 graduated...

of the 500 student of engineering student, i think only 200 graduated..

MUSIWAAAAAAAA

Are you saying there was a year in UNILORIN that only 51 people graduated in the whole school or just in your department

Cos even in private primary schools in uncompleted buildings they usually have more than 51 graduands every year

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Al-Amin Bashir Bugaje, ABU Zaria Best Student 2017. Gets NNPC Scholarship / Computer Science Lab In UNIBEN: Before & After Photos / Prisons Are Better Than Our Hostels - OAU Students Cry Out (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.