Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,382 members, 7,819,391 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures (129521 Views)

Modern Traditional Attire Of Nigeria / Traditional Edo Attire In Pictures / Pictures Of Nigeria Traditional Attire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nasoeb: 6:40pm On Nov 20, 2011
tamunoimiegbam dat we are proud of ourselves and we love what we have

paste on my sweet sister

anybody wey no like am make em go kpai

God Punish satan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nasoeb: 6:46pm On Nov 20, 2011
Why we too fine like dis

why?

wetin we do !!! somebody please confirm (@190)

we have discombobulated worwor (@sexkills)
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nasoeb: 7:11pm On Nov 20, 2011
Ijaw-girl, which part of Bonny you dey

how you take get all these pics, i know almost these ikuba guys and that iria-bibite

make we yarn na.

i sure go sabi you big time
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 7:27pm On Nov 20, 2011
Indeed we have a fantastic culture . .u cant help but feel a sense of pride !

Hey! Nasoeb
I live in Toronto, Canada
I got all the pics from facebook and online
Do you reside @ Bonny?
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by nasoeb: 7:40pm On Nov 20, 2011
Insert Quote
Indeed we have a fantastic culture . .u cant help but feel a sense of pride !

Hey! Nasoeb
I live in Toronto, Canada
I got all the pics from facebook and online
Do you reside @ Bonny?

I am a Bonny guy

But i am not in Bonny for long
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Abagworo(m): 8:12pm On Nov 20, 2011
I know too many babes in this your pix.E be like say I sabi you.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by odumchi: 3:04am On Nov 21, 2011
Nri Priest, it's over. I told the both of you the same thing. It never happened. Please let's keep the focus on the topic.

Ijawgirl, I've noticed you titled this thread "Eastern Ijaw". Is there any difference between the attire of Eastern and Western Ijaw (Which I suppose live in Edo, and Ondo)?
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 3:54am On Nov 21, 2011
nasoeb:

I am a Bonny guy

But i am not in Bonny for long

oh cool
I miss my beautiful Island
I Havent been there like forever. . 7 years now embarassed cry
Bonny people;great people,good heritage, the culture that never dies , God bless da ancient city of Grand Bonny Kingdom,God bless da Ijaw Nation. I love my little London-Bonny
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 4:27am On Nov 21, 2011
odumchi:

Nri Priest, it's over. I told the both of you the same thing. It never happened. Please let's keep the focus on the topic.

Ijawgirl, I've noticed you titled this  thread "Eastern Ijaw". Is there any difference between the attire of Eastern and Western Ijaw (Which I suppose live in Edo, and Ondo)?

theres no difference at all
I just had more pictures of eastern Ijaws attires so I decided 2 name the thread "eastern Ijaw
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by odumchi: 4:33am On Nov 21, 2011
Oh ok.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ijawgirl: 4:50am On Nov 21, 2011
Abagworo:

I know too many babes in this your pix.E be like say I sabi you.

most of the pples pictures I posted on this thread reside @ portharcourt
well PH is a small town, everyone knows each other some kinda way  wink
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 5:38am On Nov 21, 2011
Walahi, this one na War of Colours.
Even if na peacock lipsrsealed
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 5:39am On Nov 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

Walahi, this one na War of Colours.
Even if na peacock lipsrsealed

Oh shut up.
Go and look at the vomit feathers/attires your traditional leaders wore during the Ofala ceremony.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 5:46am On Nov 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Oh shut up.
Go and look at the vomit feathers/attires your traditional leaders wore during the Ofala ceremony.

Maybe post the pictures side by side. Men should know the limit, maybe you should advise your husband to wear red, yellow, white, blue, purple all at the same time. undecided
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 5:48am On Nov 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

Maybe post the pictures side by side. Men should know the limit, maybe you should advise your husband to wear red, yellow, white, blue, purple all at the same time.  undecided

Ijaw

www.nairaland.com/attachments/574943_222920_24434849640_583914640_388837_2412_n_jpg81906ddf77f78879de5f6fa01170e6ec

Igbo Ofala

www.nairaland.com/attachments/564927_chief_iwenofu_jpg9b16bcfa16b95f197dbb9dbdefcb7582

Yea, I think we know who can practice moderation here.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 5:59am On Nov 21, 2011
See how moronic you are.
You're showing picture of a man with a ceremonial hat with feathers, can't you see his dress and the colour combination and even the men in the background? Note: Not everyone can put on that hat, probably just him for such occasion.

Now compare it with the colours of the dresses and hats on the thread. Everyone dresses like a peacock.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:03am On Nov 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

See how moronic you are.
You're showing picture of a man with a ceremonial hat with feathers, can't you see his dress and the colour combination and even the men in the background? Note: Not everyone can put on the hat.

Now compare it with the colours of the dresses on the thread.

With your beady lil eyes, you saw everyone wearing feathers in this thread?

What color combination? If not for the Yoruba agbadas they have on, it'd have been a disaster with y'all's red/black dresses worn by men with elephant/tiger/cat/etc embroilment on it.

Living in a glass house is your case.

This below, is a beautiful attire and fab color combination. See as the woman dey gloaw sef grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/575515_550264_76040_451683743013_668923013_5636576_3337739_n_jpg345cd5444e37506a7bef64211fd8eebb_jpg1dac48c133e2f2aca16400b93b6389c7
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 6:04am On Nov 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

Maybe post the pictures side by side. [size=20pt]Men should know the limit[/size], maybe you should advise your husband to wear red, yellow, white, blue, purple all at the same time. undecided
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:07am On Nov 21, 2011
So WHICH MEN DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HERE?

Still living in a glass house?
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 6:08am On Nov 21, 2011
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:16am On Nov 21, 2011
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:19am On Nov 21, 2011
I got a serious question, will delete this post later.

Obiagu, this is an Igbo wedding of both igbo couples. are Igbo men now dressing like Yoruba men?

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 6:23am On Nov 21, 2011
A lot of Igbos dress like Yoruba, a lot, especially those in Lagos.
It's very common in traditional weddings too.

Ileke-IdI:

I got a serious question, will delete this post later.

Obiagu, this is an Igbo wedding of both igbo couples. are Igbo men now dressing like Yoruba men?

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:28am On Nov 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

A lot of Igbos dress like Yoruba, a lot, especially those in Lagos.
It's very common in traditional weddings too.

This was not in Lagos. This was in America.
in Lagos, i understand the need to "fit in". however, the yorubas in Igboland still dress like Yorubas.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 6:33am On Nov 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

This was not in Lagos. This was in America.
in Lagos, i understand the need to "fit in". however, the yorubas in Igboland still dress like Yorubas.

It's not a matter of fitting in, that's not the case. In the East proper, Igbos wear both Hausa and Yoruba dresses, whatever they deem fashionable. No one cares.

As for the picture you posted, there's nothing specifically Yoruba in it. It's common in the East too so I won't say it's Yoruba.

I've seen traditional weddings that you'll think the couple are Yorubas, but they are not; both dressed in complete Yoruba attires including the hat.

When we were small while in the East, my dad used to sew Hausa dresses for us. It's common.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:37am On Nov 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

It's not a matter of fitting in, that's not the case. In the East proper, Igbos wear both Hausa and Yoruba dresses, whatever they deem fashionable. No one cares.

As for the picture you posted, there's nothing specifically Yoruba in it. It's common in the East too so I won't say it's Yoruba.

I've seen traditional weddings that you'll think the couple are Yorubas, but they are not; both dressed in complete Yoruba attires including the hat.

That attire is pure Yoruba. Plz do not change history.
That attire is a modern modification of our ancestor's clothing; pant and a long shirt on top. Before Igbo's movement to Yorubaland, that attire was only worn in the Southwest.
That is what is worn below the agbaba, most times.
Just because it's now being worn by Igbos, does not mean it's not Yoruba traditional attire. Even Yoruba agbadas (which is cut different from that of the Hausas) are now being worn in the SE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 6:46am On Nov 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That attire is pure Yoruba. Plz do not change history.
That attire is a modern modification of our ancestor's clothing; pant and a long shirt on top. Before Igbo's movement to Yorubaland, that attire was only worn in the Southwest.
That is what is worn below the agbaba, most times.
Just because it's now being worn by Igbos, does not mean it's not Yoruba traditional attire. Even Yoruba agbadas (which is cut different from that of the Hausas) are now being worn in the SE.

Well you talk with certainty that it's 100% Yoruba.
However, that guy's dress is not different from what we wear in burial ceremonies, which is absolutely traditional. The only difference is the material and colour. I've worn it a number of times including the half-sleeve types.

The ladies's dress is common
I'm not in a position to tell how it came about.

Since you've never been to the East, I wonder how you know what we wear.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:53am On Nov 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

Well you talk with certainty that's 100% Yoruba.
However, that guy's dress is not different from what we wear in burial ceremonies, which is absolutely traditional. The only difference is the material and colour. I've worn it a number of times including the half-sleeve types.

The ladies's dress is common
I'm not in a position to tell how it came about.

Since you've never been to the East, I wonder how you know what we wear.

I'm not tlking about the ladies dress. I'm sure the gele was a Yoruba influence tho.

Look at the picture of your traditional ceremony of then to now. And look through Yoruba's cultural attires. You'll understand that that's a modern Yoruba traditional cloth. Infulences travel far and wild.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Obiagu1(m): 6:56am On Nov 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

I'm not tlking about the ladies dress. I'm sure the gele was a Yoruba influence tho.

Look at the picture of your traditional ceremony of then to now. And look through Yoruba's cultural attires. You'll understand that that's a modern Yoruba traditional cloth. Infulences travel far and wild.

Well I don't know. I'm not the best person to know smiley

The only thing I know is that Igbos wear any dress they deem fashionable be it Yoruba, Hausa, Efik, Oyibo . . .
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 6:59am On Nov 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

Well I don't know. I'm not the best person to know smiley

The only thing I know is that Igbos wear any dress they deem fashionable be it Yoruba, Hausa, Efik, Oyibo . . .

Ok grin smiley

Now I feel bad for spoilin Ijaw's thread.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by ChinenyeN(m): 7:36am On Nov 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Now I feel bad for spoilin Ijaw's thread.

I was wondering who would be the first to say something like this.
Re: Traditional Eastern Ijaw Attire In Pictures by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I was wondering who would be the first to say something like this.

V, is there sth you need to get out of your system?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The True Extent Of Alaigbo (Igboland) / 18+ Unclad Photos Of African Women Slaves From The Past. / Do You Consider Somalis As Black?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.