Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,226 members, 7,839,193 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More (51333 Views)

DSTV Subscription Hike: I Won’t Subscribe Again – OPM General Overseer / Court Stops Multichoice From Increasing Dstv Subscription Rates / New Prices For GOtv And DStv Subscription Take Effect From Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by anonimi: 9:23am On May 06
jmoore:
Let's compare the prices of DSTV plans in Southafrica and Nigeria

Southafrica

1, DSTV Premium R929 ($49.36)

2, DSTV Compact plus R619 ($33)

3. DSTV Compact R469 ($25)

Nigeria

1. DSTV Premium 37,000 naira ($26.43)

2. DSTV Compact plus 25,000 naira ($17.89)

3. DSTV Compact 15,700 naira ($11.21)

https://techcentral.co.za/dstv-prices-hiked-for-2024-the-details/239837/

https://vanguardngr.com/2024/04/just-in-again-multichoice-increases-price-of-dstv-gotv-packages-full-list/

Is DSTv essential to life like garri, water, rice, beans, fuel

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by tivta(m): 9:24am On May 06
jmoore:

In Nigeria, eating in a mamaput joint, normal restaurant, Sheraton hotel will not cost the same.

I don't understand why this DSTV should be a national topic. Anyone that can't afford DSTV should go for startimes or others.

Dstv employee well done

5 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by CondemnBattery(f): 9:24am On May 06
Please, share update.
Lets all switch. I'm still looking for a better alternative.
Remman:
Lol! Please hike it and see how the alternatives begin to be patronised.

I just bought three free to air disc one for Movies, one for news and the other for sports. I don't even know much about it or how it works because my son introduced it to me. But it cost us 300k+ for purchase and installations. Started using since november and up till now, we've paid no dime for subs because there ain't any. I wonder why people can't just switch.
Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by jumper524(m): 9:25am On May 06
jmoore:

Southafrica

Nigeria

https://vanguardngr.com/2024/04/just-in-again-multichoice-increases-price-of-dstv-gotv-packages-full-list/
check the salary they pay their south African workers vs their Nigerian counterparts.
Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by BeigJawnson(m): 9:25am On May 06
jmoore:

Southafrica

Nigeria

Where is the sense in this post? Why using dollar to do your comparisons? Are we using dollar locally, in Nigeria?

Do they also use dollar locally, in south Africa?

Funny OP

2 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by anonimi: 9:25am On May 06
jmoore:

You can watch only NTA for free. They didn't force guns on your head to subscribe.

It is DSTV that will approve minimum wage for your country?

The diesel they use to run their company in Nigeria is ten times cheaper than in Southafrica?

Kenya even pays more for DSTV subscription than Nigeria.

Johnholmes:

Is multi choice ripping off Nigerians ?
Let's even assume that most people are on premium subscription (which definitely is not the case), multi choice will just be getting a measily $26 per subscriber every month!!!!

Multi choice is not at fault here , rather it is the government that is making nigeria bad for business

You guys are doing well.
Big up bros!!!

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by anonimi: 9:26am On May 06
BeigJawnson:

Where is the sense in this post? Why using dollar to do your comparisons? Are we using dollar locally, in Nigeria?

Do they also use dollar locally, in south Africa?

Funny OP

What else should be used to compare two countries that don't have the same currency?
Hope you are smart enough to have an intelligent answer!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by udemzyudex(m): 9:27am On May 06
This is what happens when there is not strong competition and the Nigerian government as usual don't want strong competitions because they benefits from things like this as well.
Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by jumper524(m): 9:27am On May 06
Johnholmes:

Let's even assume that most people are on premium subscription (which definitely is not the case), multi choice will just be getting a measily $26 per subscriber every month!!!!

Multi choice is not at fault here , rather it is the government that is making nigeria bad for business
you know this prices can go lower with the right competition and policy?
you just wait.
4 years from now I bet you, things would surprise you.
Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by anonimi: 9:28am On May 06
JASONjnr:
You should understand that, the value is different.

Also, the laws in south Africa will not allow the people to pay and get ripped by the multichoice company.

In what way is the value of DSTv watched in Nigeria different from what is watched in SA

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by awoo47: 9:28am On May 06
edogu:
What about the purchasing power of the two countries?
What about the minimum wage of the two countries?
What about the currency strength of the two countries?

We should put these things into two consideration when comparing the two countries?
Dstv buys TV rights in dollars..They won't consider all that. We are already paying far less compared to other country. It's like asking why samsung increase phone price without checking minimum wage. They don't care, they only care about profit

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by sematec(m): 9:28am On May 06
Nigeria get excuses for everything
Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by CondemnBattery(f): 9:29am On May 06
That guy, Jmoore is mad....

comparing a country where the least earner earns over 250k to a country were the wage is a miserable 30k.
He needs to be flog
tivta:

Dstv employee well done

3 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by maasoap(m): 9:29am On May 06
jmoore:

In Nigeria, eating in a mamaput joint, normal restaurant, Sheraton hotel will not cost the same.

I don't understand why this DSTV should be a national topic. Anyone that can't afford DSTV should go for startimes or others.
michlins:
direct your anger to the government. DStv will not spend millions of dollars to acquire TV rights only to give it to Nigerians free. They're adjusting and operating with current economic realities

DSTV will soon run out of Nigeria, just a matter of time.
Just yesterday, a DSTV dealer in my city who has been in the business for years, I heard that he's moving into electronics business because people have literally stopped buying DSTV decoders.

2 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by anonimi: 9:30am On May 06
jumper524:
you know this prices can go lower with the right competition and policy?
you just wait.
4 years from now I bet you, things would surprise you.

With strong competition in the last 20 + years from Airtel & Glo, based on Atiku & Obasanjo's PDP privatisation and deregulation of the telecoms sector, how does MTN Nigeria prices compare to those of SA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by louken(m): 9:30am On May 06
Dude, in case it was DStv that paid you to come and do image laundering for them, tell them we no gree.
Tell us how much DStv pays their staff in South Africa versus how much they pay the same level of staff in Nigeria.
Just continue spewing your robbish.

3 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by HenryWilliams(m): 9:31am On May 06
[quote author=Remman post=129731765][/quote]

I have the Unique sat decoder..
The satellite I'm using shows mostly Arab channels like MBC 1-5 and some Ghanaian channels..very few English channels..no documentary, no news nothing.
How can I tune into those satellites with 300+ channels?

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by anonimi: 9:31am On May 06
CondemnBattery:
That guy, Jmoore is mad....

comparing a country where the least earner earns over 250k to a country were the wage is a miserable 30k.
He needs to be flog

And that is the fault of DSTv, not the fault of the cluelessly incompetent leaders we keep allowing to loot us in the LGA level up, right?

Did you say someone is mad

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by charleskl(m): 9:32am On May 06
Lolz..chai...this one don't even know the meaning of blackout...my area only have light for 3hours daily🤣as rain fell now, nepa will have to dry wire for like 2days..so no light
grandstar:

Blackouts are very common in South Africa. They can last up to 12 hours at times.

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by Enskynelson(m): 9:32am On May 06
Johnholmes:

How many customers do they have in SA as compared to Nigeria? Let's go there.
The population of Nigeria is a big factor here which it seems you are delibrately ignoring in your analysis.

2 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by awoo47: 9:32am On May 06
louken:
Dude, in case it was DStv that paid you to come and do image laundering for them, tell them we no gree.
Tell us how much DStv pays their staff in South Africa versus how much they pay the same level of staff in Nigeria.
Just continue spewing your robbish.
staff salary is a very small part. How many staff dstv get? Can't be up to 1k. TV rights is the major cost. If it were that easy, competitors would've come up. Yet 20yrs later, no competitor

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by TheSuperX(m): 9:33am On May 06
Nonsense comparison, get out of here.

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by Otiwaikuku: 9:34am On May 06
jmoore:

Southafrica

Nigeria

OP you failed to tell us how they charge in the two countries.In SA it’s pay as you view and remember they have constant light than in Nigeria. Why can’t DSTV also charge as you view? If they should charge as you view someone ca n manage to recharge and view it for over a month but in Nigeria once you recharge whether you watched it or not after a month you most recharge again

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by jmoore(m): 9:34am On May 06
maasoap:

Just yesterday, a DSTV dealer in my city who has been in the business for years, I heard that he's moving into electronics business because people have literally stopped buying DSTV decoders.
They won't be the first company to shutdown in Nigeria.
Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by Af0nja: 9:34am On May 06
jmoore:

You can watch only NTA for free. They didn't force guns on your head to subscribe.

The diesel they use to run their company in Nigeria is ten times cheaper than in Southafrica?

Nigeria has more market number.
Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by Angelfrost(m): 9:35am On May 06
Op, don't be unfortunate this morning.

Start by comparing Gdp and minimum wage.

Well, it's not by force to use dstv... Let those who wish to be exploited by those greedy capitalists continue subscribing.

Na who chop Belleful dey watch African Magic and others.

3 Likes

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by BeigJawnson(m): 9:36am On May 06
anonimi:

What else should be used to compare two countries that don't have the same currency?
Hope you are smart enough to have an intelligent answer!

You can also use pounds or euro, infact ghana cedis will also be okay to compare... Intelligent human ...

Also don't forget to compare the economical value of the money of each countries you mentioned above too?

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by kingthreat(m): 9:36am On May 06
MMempire:
Who be this OP? Na same minimum wage we dey earn? Bia, be careful there!

DSTV is not a government-owned company. Nothing concern them with your minimum wage.

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by cjudy(m): 9:37am On May 06
jmoore:

You work with DSTV or you’re from SA? Talk one so we can direct the thunder to locate you very well.

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by Ameboperoo(m): 9:38am On May 06
Johnholmes:

Compare how much they pay their workers, rent etc let's see
Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by michlins(m): 9:38am On May 06
maasoap:

the reason people are no longer buying DStv is simply because of low disposable income. Na person wey chop dey subscribe to DStv. It's that simple

This reason also boils down to how terrible the government is running our economy

1 Like

Re: DSTV Subscription Plans In Southafrica Vs Nigeria. See Who Pays More by brightleave(m): 9:38am On May 06
Try compare the minimum wage, bcoz I wan check something

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

BBAfrica Housemates Betty & Bolt Kiss In Bed (Photos) / Efe Wins Big Brother Naija 2017 / Bbnaija: Nina’s Boyfriend Collins Deletes All Her Photos On Instagram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.