Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,000 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders (2580 Views)

Buhari To Kickstart Punishment Of The Armed Forces For Violating Human Rights / Aliyu Kicks Against Banning Of Almajiri System / Terrorism: Mark Seeks Ban Of Almajiri System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kobojunkie: 5:11am On Nov 21, 2011
Fallout of Boko Haram bombings:
[size=13pt]EMIRS SPIT FIRE
•Ban Almajiri system
•Recommend arrest, trial, punishment of offenders
[/size]
From FEMI FOLARANMI, Yenagoa
Saturday November 19, 2011

The festering wounds inflicted on the North and its people, by the activities of the dreaded Boko Haram sect, have forced the Northern Traditional Rulers’ Council (NTRC) to recommend the banning of the current Almajiri system in the region.

The council also recommended that begging should be made an offence, as part of measures aimed at securing the northern region for what it termed “sustainable socio-economic development,” just as it called on the Federal Government to apprehend, prosecute and punish those behind what it described as heinous crimes.

In its document, entitled “Position Paper of the Northern Traditional Rulers’ Council Towards Ameliorating General Insecurity in the North for Sustainable Socio-Economic Development,” put together by a seven-man committee of traditional rulers, headed by the Etsu Nupe, Dr. Yahaya Abubakar, the NTRC resolved that the current Almajiri system is “unislamic and, therefore, strongly condemned.”

The committee, which sat at the NICON Luxury Hotel, in Abuja three weeks ago, was the outcome of the meeting of the NTRC held at the famous Arewa House in Kaduna.

“Government should, as a matter of urgency, develop a legislative framework against such practice as well as reintegrate the Almajiri with their families and communities,” the NTRC recommended.
The Almajiri is a system in the North, in which a child is entrusted in the care of an Islamic cleric for years under the cover of scholarship for the purpose of ensuring that such a ward is brought up in the Islamic way and mode of worship.

A source close to the chairman of the committee disclosed to Saturday Sun that the decision to call for the banning of the Almajiri system stemmed from the fact that “most of those used as suicide bombers graduated from the current Almajiri school system, who have been so thoroughly dehumanised that it will be a welcome thing to commit suicide after being brainwashed by their Mallams that they would have many virgins to marry in heaven.
“They also considered the fact that many parents are maltreating their children by avoiding their responsibilities of feeding, clothing and educating them.”

The NTRC, however, asked the Federal Government to establish the type of Almajiri schools it promised all over the northern region and called on the state governments in the region to complement the efforts of the Federal Government.
“The council believes that if this is done, this issue of Boko Haram will gradually go away, as this will turn these abandoned children into useful citizens,” the source explained.

On a particular course of action to curb the menace of the Boko Haram insurgence, the NTRC asked the Federal Government to “do whatever it takes to ensure peace and security in Borno State, Plateau and, indeed, other parts of the region and country,” adding: “This could be achieved by appropriately apprehending, prosecuting and punishing the perpetrators of these heinous crimes.

The NTRC noted that Northern Nigeria is, by all account, one of the most complex and diverse regions in the country with a plethora of ethnic and linguistic groups sharing a broad spectrum of religious affiliations and tendencies and that the management of this complexity and diversity has provided a dynamic framework for the peaceful co-existence of all Nigerians.

It, however, observed that, in the last few years, the social strands, which bind the diverse people together, had been put under severe stress by series of ethno-religious and other sectarian crises.
According to it, “these crises resulted in great loss of lives and property, disrupted social, economic and other developmental activities and threatened to undermine the time honoured tradition of unity in diversity.

“There is no alternative to peace in our collective existence. No community or nation can prosper in a situation of rancour, fear and instability. Previous and current sectarian, ethnic and religious crises have not only dented our region’s image, but has stagnated our progress.
“The committee views as unfortunate, the recurrence of the Boko Haram and Plateau crises that have led to massive loss of human lives and properties and severely fractured community relations that took decades to establish and nurture.

“Religious, political and community leaders and elders are called upon to exhibit a high sense of maturity and restraint in their actions and comments and they should not allow themselves to be dragged into matters that contradict national interests and security by individuals and groups with vested interests.”

In what looked like a position paper on the state of the nation, the NTRC undertook a critical assessment of the economy, sports and the roles traditional ruler can play in government, among others. It tackled the issue of institutional framework for traditional rulers in conflict resolution and demanded that traditional rulers be accorded specific responsibilities for security in their communities.

The group said: “This involvement devoid of partisanship, would engender active participation of traditional institutions in matters pertaining to the development and security of their communities.
“Such involvement will enable them to take proactive measures in community and National Security, hence there is urgent need for legislative and constitution review to empower traditional rulers to effectively perform these and other relevant functions.

“The official involvement of traditional rulers in security matters will ensure that bad eggs do not find hiding places in their localities since new faces in the communities will easily be detected and investigated. Equally, their involvement in the recruitment of the police, the army and other security agencies will go a long way in the elimination of possible recruitment of miscreants into the security forces. This could be done by integrating traditional rulers into the screening process to ensure that officers and recruits are of good character and upbringing.”

The NTRC dwelt on the responsibility of the citizenry to the state, against the diverse effect of dwindling resources of government in running the affairs of the state and enjoined the government and other relevant institutions to improve on tax drive, which, it said, would ultimately enhance the revenue base of government and also form what it described as a virile instrument of the control on the people towards ensuring strict adherence to existing laws of the country.
On the development of agriculture and other non-oil sectors, the NTRC noted that over-dependence on oil and the neglect of the economy opens the economy to risks. It said that agriculture, which once sustained the nation, is capable of providing alternative income to that of oil.

The body of traditional rulers in the North recommended a collaboration with northern state governments, in the area of promoting sporting activities as well as the engagement of youths in sporting activities to eliminate idleness and promote social harmony in the region, adding, “sports is also a universal means of employment with high returns.”

It recommended that a meeting of northern governors, past presidents, vice-presidents, Senate presidents, speakers of the House of Representatives, chief justices, traditional rulers and other stakeholders of northern extraction be held “to frankly and dispassionately deliberate on the above causes of frequent ethno-religious crises in the northern states, with a view to healing wounds inflicted as a result of the conflicts,” adding: “This will pave way for a new beginning.”

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/nov/19/national-19-11-2011-09.html
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kilode1: 5:38am On Nov 21, 2011
If this report is true, then the ball is in the ruling party's court. They have the support they need.

With a majority in the senate and in the north, I see no reason why the PDP House of Assembly can't aggressively fight to implement this.

Except they are praying for Boko Haram to repent and start preaching peace  undecided
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 5:43am On Nov 21, 2011
Kilode?!:

If this report is true, then the ball is in the ruling party's court. They have the support they need.

With a majority in the senate and in the north, I see no reason why the PDP House of Assembly can't aggressively fight to implement this.

Except they are praying for Boko Haram to repent and start preaching peace  undecided

There aren't many core-Northern NASS members of any party that will vote against anything to do with sharia (twisted or not) and ACN is sure to vote with them (as in the case of Tambuwal); also core-Northern NASS members are the vast majority, so it is far from straightforward.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kilode1: 5:59am On Nov 21, 2011
Haba, ACN's support for Tambuwal had nothing to do with Sharia.

PDP has the majority in the HOA, controls the presidency and has the power to make policy, it's their move.

If they can't do their job, they can resign en-masse. The poor children of the North are eagerly waiting for their leadership.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 6:06am On Nov 21, 2011
ACN's support of Tambuwal, who would have been arrested for fraud like Bankole, was the earliest and surest signal of a party without principles. Nobody will trust ACN to hold the line after that.

Any vote against anything to do with sharia would have to rely on block votes from the South and Middle Belt. Right now, the South has no block vote as ACN would rather go with the North West, even to the extent of bringing in Tambuwal, because they want to keep the country from progressing for their selfish reasons.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kilode1: 6:16am On Nov 21, 2011
So because ACN supported one PDP candidate against another in a political power tussle. Then they are supporters of almajiri system?

When you said "South" I'm assuming you meant SW + SS + SE. No? You can clarify.

Last time I checked, ACN controls the SOUTH West.

PDP and this president should seize this opportunity and lead for once, the support they need has arrived. The ball is in their court.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 6:28am On Nov 21, 2011
Yes, by South I mean SW + SS + SE. Without the SW, there is no block vote.
After Tambuwal, you can be sure nobody will go to ACN for support in a block vote against the core-Northern elite. It will only lead to embarrassment.
We have a situation where several progressive issues that would benefit the South are dead in the water, because of ACN's zero sum, pocket first attitude.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by auwal87(m): 6:36am On Nov 21, 2011
Ban Almajiri
Ban Okada
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Akanbiedu(m): 6:41am On Nov 21, 2011
Beaf Beaf.

Always looking for excuse to exonerate your incompetent master. Are those emirs not from the north? Now that you have their support, you still want to blame the ACN? You don't need block vote of ACN in this case.

Even if you need ACN's support, how are you sure you can't get it. Abi no be here we dey wey GEJ win SW votes?
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kobojunkie: 6:43am On Nov 21, 2011
What this all has to do with ACN/PDP . . . . na wa ooo!!! Nigerians and political party yansh-licking   . . . .  this is not a party issue here. We have a go ahead from the traditional leaders up north yet AGBAYA's already turning it into some ACN vs PDP tussle. Tufiakwa!
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 6:46am On Nov 21, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Beaf Beaf.

Always looking for excuse to exonerate your incompetent master. Are those emirs not from the north? Now that you have their support, you still want to blame the ACN? You don't need block vote of ACN in this case.

Even if you need ACN's support, how are you sure you can't get it. Abi no be here we dey wey GEJ win SW votes?

Of course, Emirs vote in the Senate and House of Rep! How clever of you!
SW votes are not ACN votes, SW people ain't silly please. It isn't SW people who will be needed in the NASS, but those in ACN, people would knowingly vote in scoundrels for the right price.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Akanbiedu(m): 6:55am On Nov 21, 2011
Do you need a NASS vote to ban almajiri system?
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 7:21am On Nov 21, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Yes, because it will be argued that it is customary law which sharia falls under, and therefore, a change of of the constitution.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kobojunkie: 7:25am On Nov 21, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

No, you do not need NASS vote to ban Almajiri system in the North. The system is not itself COVERED under Sharia allowed by the constitution.

The ban suggested by these traditional leaders is a ban on the current system, in exchange for a newer, possibly more improved and controlled system. Hopefully the Federal Government takes a cue and instead provides a system that is far away from Almajiri as can be.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Rhino5dm: 7:30am On Nov 21, 2011
This is it!
For long i have reason along this line and proposed the outright banning of Almajiri system and arresting any person involved. There is nothing like Almajiri i.e the way we are meant to believe.

Beaf and his click of vultures called me names when i told them that institutionalizing Almajiri is detriment to any development Nigeria can ever aspire. Here in Kano, you cant parked your car for 5 senonds,waiting for delivery without seeing a wretched raggly looking loon begging you for food or money. shocked How pathetic!

In some clans, the parents shore away thier responsibilities by making those innocent children bread winners and sending out to beg, masked in the name of being Almajiri. shocked

. . .Now the truth don dey comot small small. Where more do you think Boko Haram will go for their new suicide bombers?
What do you think will happen if i choose to lure those illiterates begging on the street, brain wash them more and offer them straps of bombs and direct them to "targets"? ? ? shocked

We all know how madarassa was used in Afghanistan to recruit suicide bombers for Alqaeda/Taliban. . .
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Rhino5dm: 7:34am On Nov 21, 2011
sharrap!
Which law permit begging? Are you insane or what??
There is no law in Nigeria that permit begging/Almajiri. You are a foooooool for spewing this trash.

Beaf:

Yes, because it will be argued that it is customary law which sharia falls under, and therefore, a change of of the constitution.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by okosodo: 7:49am On Nov 21, 2011
F0ck d emirs
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kobojunkie: 7:55am On Nov 21, 2011
^^^ I am guessing you have no idea what this decision by the traditional rulers potentially means for Nigeria as a whole? It means we finally have a go ahead to move Nigeria as a whole forwarned . . . . eliminate the problem we have all been burdened with for a long time now . . . cool
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Akanbiedu(m): 8:37am On Nov 21, 2011
LOL.

The almajiri system is now a threat to the emirate system. The last post-election violence was a close call.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 9:14am On Nov 21, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

sharrap!
Which law permit begging? Are you insane or what??
There is no law in Nigeria that permit begging/Almajiri. You are a foooooool for spewing this trash.

Why do you always approach matters like you are a wild animal in the zoo?
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Rhino5dm: 9:49am On Nov 21, 2011
Go ahead and build a university for Almajiri or organize another reality scam in the form of YouWin. Thief!!!

Beaf:

Why do you always approach matters like you are a wild animal in the zoo?
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 10:07am On Nov 21, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Go ahead and build a university for Almajiri or organize another reality scam in the form of YouWin. Thief!!!

You are so daft and stup!d, it impossible to comprehend. Maybe you should stick to your lies about how you were the one that advised Akpabio to use Julius Berger and create dual carriage ways in Akwa Ibom; that where your real talent is, lying.

For the record, I do not work for govt, I'm an ordinary NLer like you. However, I must point out yet another lie that your low life mind has sprung on NL, which is that YouWin is a scam. Maybe in the bush you rush out of every morning, scams get sponsored by the World Bank, the UK's Department for International Development and Julius Berger (which your lies claim to know so well with the Akpabio angle).
If you were not a fool, you would simply have checked the YouWin website thoroughly. Its at the foot of all pages.

Now, run along.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Rhino5dm: 12:23pm On Nov 21, 2011
Oh! Please save that lie to your army of halfwits. I dont work for the government blah blah, yet you attack any one that criticize the government. moroon.

Just stick to your many websites and look for potential donors to scam. Nonsense.

I thought i was the one advocating for total ban of Almajiri, since last year? What do you have to say now, when the real stake holders comfirmed my initial assertion? Just the way i profer solution to Boko Haram menace on the other thread while your worthless group of chimp monks were calling me names.

Cant you see the thick line between me and you? I try to solve problems afflicting poor masses while you suck dirty black balls of corrupt politicians for peanuts. Pazzo!

Beaf:

You are so daft and stup!d, it impossible to comprehend. Maybe you should stick to your lies about how you were the one that advised Akpabio to use Julius Berger and create dual carriage ways in Akwa Ibom; that where your real talent is, lying.

For the record, I do not work for govt, I'm an ordinary NLer like you. However, I must point out yet another lie that your low life mind has sprung on NL, which is that YouWin is a scam. Maybe in the bush you rush out of every morning, scams get sponsored by the World Bank, the UK's Department for International Development and Julius Berger (which your lies claim to know so well with the Akpabio angle).
If you were not a fool, you would simply have checked the YouWin website thoroughly. Its at the foot of all pages.

Now, run along.
Beaf:

Now, run along.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by ektbear: 12:54pm On Nov 21, 2011
How on earth did this become another ACN thread?

So the northern traditional leaders and most southerners are against the almajiri system, but the reason it will remain is because of the ACN?

lmao grin grin grin
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 12:56pm On Nov 21, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

Oh! Please save that lie to your army of halfwits. I dont work for the government blah blah, yet you attack any one that criticize the government. moroon.

Just stick to your many websites and look for potential donors to scam. Nonsense.

I thought i was the one advocating for total ban of Almajiri, since last year? What do you have to say now, when the real stake holders comfirmed my initial assertion? Just the way i profer solution to Boko Haram menace on the other thread while your worthless group of chimp monks were calling me names.

Cant you see the thick line between me and you? I try to solve problems afflicting poor masses while you suck dirty black balls of corrupt politicians for peanuts. Pazzo!

Nothing about how you told Akpabio to tar the roads and dualise them with Julius Berger in Akwa Ibom? Why not pump out more of your big lies? You've suddenly also forgotten that you also claimed YouWin is fake to express the incredible extent of your stup!dity?

You are a phucking daft liar, and a bloody unintelligent one at that.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Rhino5dm: 1:06pm On Nov 21, 2011
^
No pictures yet? grin
oya tell us about www.afrosciencecommunity.org. Scammer!!!
Yahoozy on a kentro level! Thief!!
Yeah, setting up a website to invite donors for scamming purpose is your mark of intelligence, i guess. mooron.

ekt_bear:

So the northern traditional leaders and most southerners are against the almajiri system, but the reason it will remain is because of the ACN?

lmao grin grin grin

na early morning tumbo dey worry that scammer.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Beaf: 1:09pm On Nov 21, 2011
Please click here to ban an almajiri! https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-799736.32.html#msg9518974
Choi! My back go broke wit laf o! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Rhino5dm: 1:15pm On Nov 21, 2011
^
why not www.afrosciencecommunity.org? Are you ashame of your work? Theif!! Ojo bo ole, oooooollllllleeeeeeee! Onyeshiiiiiiiiiiiii. Baraaaaaawooooooo! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! grin

I will be back. Lemme clear my table.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by CyberG: 1:34pm On Nov 21, 2011
No need to fight on this issue at all. The REAL question and issue is JONATHON is too stupi.d, weak and ineffective to provide leadership. He will not do anything effective and will blame the people who have spoken up to give the government support that is critical.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kilode1: 1:48pm On Nov 21, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Not necessarily. But you need the NASS to pass strong and effective laws that will empower other stakeholders.

ekt_bear:

lmao grin grin grin

It is funny really.
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by egift(m): 2:18pm On Nov 21, 2011
The rubber stamp in power want us to solve Almajiri, boko, poor infrastructure, security and other problems the way we delivered him from Madam's kitchen where he was fully utilized.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/402648_if_it_comes_to_this_jpg0608f0b57a6772a016e668b8c009ad5f
Re: Ban Almajiri System, Recommend Arrest, Trial, Punishment Of Offenders by Kilode1: 3:45am On Nov 22, 2011
Are we still waiting for Boko haram to condemn almajiri before we take this opportunity to save those young kids?

It's time to put politics aside and act for the sake of those children.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Video Of Gov Kwankwaso Pionting Fingers At Jonathan & Anenih / THIRTEEN (13) Memorable Quotes From Gov Ayodele Fayose / Professor Osinbajo does not have a PhD or its equivalent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.