Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,114 members, 7,828,970 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97559 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:28am On Nov 23, 2011
Okay. Fashion is culture, Jeans is not Nigerian culture because. . . . .?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:29am On Nov 23, 2011
www.nairaland.com/attachments/564821_ONITSHA_9_jpg1e0e7518da1e9029b85ddd03b03000d5

[size=28pt]Caribbean also influenced the modern day Igbos. [/size]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:30am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Okay. Fashion is culture, Jeans is not Nigerian culture because. . . . .?

Clap for yourself. You're getting there.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:32am On Nov 23, 2011
And jeans isn't Nigerian culture because. . . . . .?

Ileke-IdI:

[size=28pt]Caribbean also influenced the modern day Igbos. [/size]

From the ancient day Igbo.

Thanks for acknowledging Igbo influence in the Caribbean.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:32am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

[size=18pt]Thanks for acknowledging Igbo influence in the Caribbean.
[/size]

Anytime, that's what threads like this are  for.

Already explained on this page. Reading really is an issue for you huh?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:35am On Nov 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Already explained on this page. Reading really is an issue for you huh?

Maybe, so explain it in simpler English.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:35am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Maybe, so explain it in simpler English.

Couldnt get simpler than how it  was previously posted. You're not a child.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:36am On Nov 23, 2011
And could you quote this explanation then?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

And could you quote this explanation then?

No, it's on this page. Scroll up. Dont be lazy.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:38am On Nov 23, 2011
I can't see anything that's an explanation for why Jeans is not part of Nigerian culture, and the grand bou bou is.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:39am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

[size=28pt]I can't see [/size]anything that's an explanation for why Jeans is not part of Nigerian culture, and the grand bou bou is.

Using blindness as an excuse for your incapability to grasp simple logic? Now that's pathetic.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:40am On Nov 23, 2011
Again:

ezeagu:

I can't see anything that's an explanation for why Jeans is not part of Nigerian culture, and the grand bou bou is.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:42am On Nov 23, 2011
Again

Ileke-IdI:

Using blindness as an excuse for your incapability to grasp simple logic? Now that's pathetic.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:44am On Nov 23, 2011
[size=18pt]Actual "Nigerian" dressing, isn't it refreshing?[/size]

[center][img]http://1.bp..com/-AEOQb0--pSo/Tr-dtHTVYdI/AAAAAAAAWMk/n3gsO37hzw8/s640/OBI+OF+ONITSHA+1.jpg[/img]
[/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:46am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

[center][img]http://1.bp..com/-AEOQb0--pSo/Tr-dtHTVYdI/AAAAAAAAWMk/n3gsO37hzw8/s640/OBI+OF+ONITSHA+1.jpg[/img]
[/center]

[size=28pt]No, more like recycled from the Caribbeans.
[/size]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:58am On Nov 23, 2011
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 6:10am On Nov 23, 2011
^^^ You nefa start. cool
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 7:07am On Nov 23, 2011
We Igbo/Eastern people always leave our mark. Big ups to the caribbean festivals!
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 7:11am On Nov 23, 2011
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 7:14am On Nov 23, 2011

OKOTO DANCERS in ATILOGWU COSTUMES
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by somegirl1: 10:44am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

[/center]

love this

Ileke idi and cohorts you win. Igbos "roamed the forests unclad until yorubas came to their rescue". However, igbos are indisputably better looking.
One point for each ethnic group. Happy now?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by oludashmi(f): 1:08pm On Nov 23, 2011
Anybody could have influenced anybody cos we all originated frm somewhere and have accommodated foreigners at one time or the other. What matters is that we all have our known ethnic cultures and traditions within the country called Nigeria and the poster is only talking about inter-tribal influence at the present not in the 18th century.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 3:35pm On Nov 23, 2011
So, lets list some things in yoruba culture which were influenced by igbo or other tribes.

Cant really think of anything but maybe someone else can.

I heard masquerades were influenced by nupe but i seriously doubt that. I'd say they're more of ugbo, going by the moremi story.

I dont know if ogbono was adopted from igbo cuisine. Yorubas call it apon.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 3:50pm On Nov 23, 2011
tpia@:

So, lets list some things in yoruba culture which were influenced by igbo or other tribes.

Cant really think of anything but maybe someone else can.

I heard masquerades were influenced by nupe but i seriously doubt that. I'd say they're more of ugbo, going by the moremi story.

I dont know if ogbono was adopted from igbo cuisine. Yorubas call it apon.

You damn right ogbono was and you know it. So was egusi! Seems like your speaking too soon my dear. And if you dont think nupe influenced yoruba go read a book on it. Although I am pretty sure you know they influenced you people. wink
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:02pm On Nov 23, 2011
^Islam in yorubaland was mainly introduced by nupe slaves, according to some sources.

Nupes were also found in yoruba armies and courts- they were part of the middlemen who supplied the oyo calvaries with horses from libya or hausaland.

So, nobody is saying they had no influence at all. Same way yoruba had influence on them and some northern yorubas were absorbed by them.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 4:04pm On Nov 23, 2011
I dont think egusi is from igbo but garri could be from central or south america.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 4:35pm On Nov 23, 2011
tpia@:

I dont think egusi is from igbo but garri could be from central or south america.

Notice how you always saying "think" but in actuality you "know" but are too ashamed to admit it. Egusi is purely Igbo in all sense go ask mama na! cool
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Afam4eva(m): 4:49pm On Nov 23, 2011
tpia@:

Keep decieving yourself. Most popular soups in Nigeria originated from Igboland.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by cantell(m): 5:08pm On Nov 23, 2011
tpia@:

You must be high on crack for vomiting that rubbish.
So because una no get better soup, our own go turn to another person own?
Better go to igbobi and get a refill, you might lose it completely.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 5:43pm On Nov 23, 2011
Chyz*:

Notice how you always saying "think" but in actuality you "know" but are too ashamed to admit it. Egusi is purely Igbo in all sense go ask mama na! cool
afam4eva:

Keep decieving yourself. Most popular soups in Nigeria originated from Igboland.
cantell:

You must be high on crack for vomiting that rubbish.
So because una no get better soup, our own go turn to another person own?
Better go to igbobi and get a refill, you might lose it completely.

You people need to shut up if u are ignorant

Egusi is a yoruba food.

Egusi apparently a yoruba word was adopted by the igbos and hausa

the name egusi is a yoruba word. What do igbos know of egusi before the amagamation of Nigeria

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=J7kdAQAAIAAJ&q=origin+of+egusi+soup&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup&hl=en&ei=2SDNTuSlI8W98gPLl8wE&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6jrlyOPfr24C&pg=PA185&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup+yoruba&hl=en&ei=uCHNToDFMsOk8QO6rJXbDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDEQ6AEwATgK#v=snippet&q=egusi%20yoruba&f=false

before colonisation, there was nothing like egusi in IGBOLAND.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cTNGxyb2ws0C&pg=PA505&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup+yoruba&hl=en&ei=uCHNToDFMsOk8QO6rJXbDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDkQ6AEwAzgK#v=onepage&q=origin%20of%20egusi%20soup%20yoruba&f=false

Really you people need to stop acting like retards. undecided
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 5:45pm On Nov 23, 2011
The original name of egusi is agushi

which the yorubas changed to egusi today and the igbos and even hausas adopted

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=QXFmu4tt6GkC&pg=PA204&dq=origin+of+egusi+soup+yoruba&hl=en&ei=uCHNToDFMsOk8QO6rJXbDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=origin%20of%20egusi%20soup%20yoruba&f=false
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Afam4eva(m): 5:46pm On Nov 23, 2011
Keep deceiving yourself.

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.