Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,090 members, 7,849,412 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 08:56 PM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97820 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 5:09am On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

one naira

as i pointed out before, the issue isnt the origin of agbada in itself, but rather the problem of hating on yorubas while at the same time wearing attire which is associated with yorubas.

my own research [going by those photos i posted] shows it seems to be the nationalistic igbos in the past who did such. ie wore attire closely associated with another tribe.

the examples of zik, king onyeama of eke, etc.

they were noted for integration and working with yorubas.

note the quote on ilorin medicine men being brought to igboland.

feel free to prove me wrong though.

The attire is West African attire. Travel to Ghana, Burkina Faso, Togo, Liberia, etc. and you'll see the same people wearing Agbada even if Yoruba is not among the ethnic group found in their countries.  It’s a Sudano-Sahelian creation, which every African group’s especially west African groups picked up; the only thing associated to Yoruba in Nigeria is the name.  An Igbo man like me can change the name to Ezeike and that name becomes a widespread name across SE and SS, do either I or any other Igbo man have the right to claim Ezeike as ours? No.

There are Igbo groups that wore agbada long before their interaction with Yoruba. Those two men wearing agbada has two reason for wearing such attire? It's either they picked it up from their ancestors or the interaction.  How can you be so sure they wore the agbada because of Yoruba?

Nnamdi is an Anambra descendant, Anambra long before their interaction to Yoruba wore Agbada, and I posted the pictures in previous pages.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Crayola1: 5:13am On Nov 22, 2011
Man One Naira you are fighting the good fight lmao grin 3 against one you are a tough man wink
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 5:19am On Nov 22, 2011
Crayola1:

Man One Naira you are fighting the good fight lmao grin 3 against one you are a tough man wink

grin grin grin grin grin kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 5:25am On Nov 22, 2011
One_Naira:

The attire is West African attire. Travel to Ghana, Burkina Faso, Togo, Liberia, etc. and you'll see the same people wearing Agbada even if Yoruba is not among the ethnic group found in their countries.  It’s a Sudano-Sahelian creation, which every African group’s especially west African groups picked up; the only thing associated to Yoruba in Nigeria is the name.

there's no evidence indicating the agbada did not spread from yoruba to other parts of west africa. As i pointed out before, the fulani conquest was what created a sharp demarcade between the groups now called hausa, and the yoruba.

yoruba traditionalists have a short agbada which they usually wear- check the clothing of ancient ifa priests and also yoruba warriors.

btw, do you have any explanation for why the agbada suddenly dropped out of igbo public dressing, if indeed it used to be worn by igbos in the past, as you say.

personally, i suspect the igbos wearing it might have been of yoruba ancestry.

An Igbo man like me can change the name to Ezeike and that name becomes a widespread name across SE and SS, do either I or any other Igbo man have the right to claim Ezeike is ours? No.

are you being sarcastic with this statement?

There are Igbo groups that wore agbada long before their interaction with Yoruba. Those two men wearing agbada has two reason for wearing such attire? It's either they picked it up from their ancestors or the interaction.  How can you be so sure they wore the agbada because of Yoruba?

Nnamdi is an Anambra descendant, Anambra long before their interaction to Yoruba wore Agbada, and I posted the pictures in previous pages.

i've posted the story of king onyeama of eke, who interacted heavily with ilorin mallams and also brought them to igboland.

you do the math.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 5:34am On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

there's no evidence indicating the agbada did not spread from yoruba to other parts of west africa. As i pointed out before, the fulani conquest was what created a sharp demarcade between the groups now called hausa, and the yoruba.

yoruba traditionalists have a short agbada which they usually wear- check the clothing of ancient ifa priests and also yoruba warriors.

Is it that hard?  Is it that hard to give the rightful owners their credit.  Crayola and someone else posted different link on the origin of Agbada.  It did not start in yorubaland and it did not spread from yorubaland.  Are you trying to claim Yoruba influenced EVERY west African group without migration.

tpia@:

btw, do you have any explanation for why the agbada suddenly dropped out of igbo public dressing, if indeed it used to be worn by igbos in the past, as you say.

personally, i suspect the igbos wearing it might have been of yoruba ancestry.

Whose picture has ileke-idi been posting just to stroke her own ego.  Are they not igbo?  That alone defeats your logic. 

Igbos wearing it ight have been of yoruba ancestry?   shocked shocked shocked  Tpia, so everyone has Yoruba ancestry. 

tpia@:

are you being sarcastic with this statement?
Yes.

tpia@:

i've posted the story of king onyeama of eke, who interacted heavily with ilorin mallams and also brought them to igboland.

you do the math.

King onyeama is an Agbaja descendant, a region found in Enugu. Whom did Enugu groups trade with? Anambra groups, delta igbo, etc. Refer back to Anambra wore Agbada, add in delta igbo, etc long before their interaction with Yoruba.  you do the math
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:37am On Nov 22, 2011
Crayola1:

Aren't you past your bedtime?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 5:47am On Nov 22, 2011
Igbos wearing it ight have been of yoruba ancestry?

maybe.

it seems there are igbos who are unaware they might have yoruba ancestry.

they or others are unaware that is.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 6:02am On Nov 22, 2011
It’s a Sudano-Sahelian creation, which every African group’s especially west African groups picked up; the only thing associated to Yoruba in Nigeria is the name

btw your argument is a cyclic one.

if the yoruba have oral traditions linking them to the arabian peninsula and/or sudan then why is it a stretch to deduce the agbada is in fact indigenous to them?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 6:19am On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

if the yoruba have oral traditions linking them to the arabian peninsula and/or sudan then why is it a stretch to deduce the agbada is in fact indigenous to them?

Don't mind these folks, there's nothing they would love to hear more than to say Yorubas had no history or tradition before the coming of Islam and the Europeans.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by OneNaira6: 6:40am On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

I find that so hypocritical but I’m not surprised. Isn't it the same Yoruba’s whom are quick to deny/insult and even degrade Igbo claims to Jews as a false statement despite it’s being an oral tradition that have been circulating for century but yet you expect us to accept the Yoruba oral traditions linking them to Arabian peninsula as fact, mshweech please. You cannot have it both ways my friend.

If you are open-minded enough to actually learn the history of Abagada and it's origin refer back to Crayola's and everyone else link.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Martmore: 6:47am On Nov 22, 2011
My brothers i tire.if person wan shit,he go compare am with igbo.if person wan chop, igbo.if person wan wear cloth, igbo.na only igbo dey 4 dis country abi una no see tiv,idoma,igala,hausa etc.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Chyz2: 6:59am On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

you do the math.

Who told you those mallams from ilorin were yorubas?

And i hope you are aware that we igbos also border the northern people so what makes you think we were not getting some attire from them? Also if Onyeama of eke can travel all the way to ilorin from anambra, what makes you think others weren't traveling to hausaland,nupe,etc. and acquiring the sahel wear you people call agbada? You people are so funny i tell ya.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by GWslim(f): 7:45am On Nov 22, 2011
i don't like tribal topics.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by guonno: 11:03am On Nov 22, 2011
Another SICK THREAD! I have always wondererd y the yorubas would not let NdIGBOS BE. I think the yorubas are insecure, else, y should they always slam at the igbos, draw battle lines n post competative threads. Well, my contribution is this; Ndigbo, especially anamberians are business oriented. As bussiness men, Ndigbo are seen in all places (dont be surprise when mars explorers tells us that Ndigbo lives on planet mars, doing business, lol). As an international business man, u should easily integrate into peoples culture, you should understand and practice peoples culture, that is the only way u can excell. Yorubas can never be good business people because of jealousy and the competetive attitude they possess. An example is if u dont integrate into the housa mans culture you would not know that he detests pig meat, doing a pig meat business therefore will be madness. You could loose your customers in the north if they walk into your business arena and meets u eating pork (because 90% of them are fanatics). What am trying to say is that, because of our business nature (especially anambra people) Ndigbo tend to have a multiple personality ability, we use peoples culture to get to them. If u check very well u will notice that most of those Ndigbos in yoruba attire does business in yoruba land (especiqlly lagos). NdIgbo have a very rich culture just like the yorubas, the hausa, and the etc do. But u might not know untill u visit igbo lands, but u yorubas are not really business oriented, u lack the patience to watch one naira grow into billions or naira. My uncle markets china products. It will surprise u to know that he speaks 5 foreing languages- Chinese, inda, iranian language, etc and he does their attire, depending on if he is in china or iran or saudi or etc. But no Chinese man had ever
compared igbo and chinese culture, this is because the western worlds are better than the yorubas in business. U hardly see Ndigbo that does not speak more than one language, its all about business, educated or not.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by nagoma(m): 11:47am On Nov 22, 2011
@Ileke-Idi

Yoruba were not the first SOUTHERN group to be introduced to Islam. Yorubas were the FRIST NIGERIAN group to be introduced to Islam via Lagos, before Hausas. Hausas never learned Islam from Yorubas, dont overwork that your brain.

Makes me appreciate how we still keep unity between Christianity and Islam even up till now.

Through the Emirate Airlines I suppose?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 12:16pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

king onyeama of eke [c 1870 - 1933]

his story here:

http://www.ikemefunaanyanechi.4t.com/whats_new.html

And in what world is a tunic known as a Grand Bou Bou?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 12:26pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

there's no evidence indicating the agbada did not spread from yoruba to other parts of west africa.

Why do you like spreading bullshit? So Saudi Arabia adopted Yoruba dressing, or was it that the Yoruba were the original Saudis as you claimed before?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 12:29pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

maybe.

it seems there are igbos who are unaware they might have yoruba ancestry.

they or others are unaware that is.

Are you not satisfied with claiming Benin? You want to claim Igbo for Yoruba, when Yoruba didn't even exist as a word 500 years ago. As you continue your ignorance you will continue to be bombarded with reply's that put you in place.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 12:31pm On Nov 22, 2011
^My point is just because the agbada is found elsewhere doesnt mean its not indigenous to yoruba.

Yoruba has been linked to sudan and the arabian peninsula (not arabs) long before now.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 12:33pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

^My point is just because the agbada is found elsewhere doesnt mean its not indigenous to yoruba.

Yoruba has been linked to sudan and the arabian peninsula (not arabs) long before now.

It has been linked to the Arabian peninsula through who? Odudwa the Arab? And Agbada will never be indigenous to West Africa, just like a suit and tie will never be Indigenous to Africa.

Just to put things back:

[center][img]http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa/africa_islam_87.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 12:34pm On Nov 22, 2011
Anyway, I believe the main issue here is you cant be hating on yorubas while wearing clothing specifically associated with them.

So, i hope we can move on from there.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 12:34pm On Nov 22, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

White man has legitimised your culture. Easily impressed by white people.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 12:36pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

Anyway, I believe the main issue here is you cant be hating on yorubas while wearing clothing specifically associated with them.

So, i hope we can move on from there.

I hope you can move on from claiming things that don't belong to your culture, like an Islamic grand bou bou or a generic tunic, or people who are not of the same ancestry as you, like the Igbo. It would make your nairaland experience a lot more pleasant and saves embarrassment.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 12:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
By the way how did the Yoruba "traditional dress" transform from this:

[center]

[/center]

To this:

[center][img]http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/styles/images/Drewal5319lg.jpg[/img][/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^^

those are aso okes anit they

by the way give me a link to this. because that is not yoruba
[img]http://africa.si.edu/exhibits/styles/images/EEPA-EECL-5709lg.jpg[/img]

thanks smiley
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 1:25pm On Nov 22, 2011
tpia@:

one naira

as i pointed out before, the issue isnt the origin of agbada in itself, but rather the problem of hating on yorubas while at the same time wearing attire which is associated with yorubas.

my own research [going by those photos i posted] shows it seems to be the nationalistic igbos in the past who did such. ie wore attire closely associated with another tribe.

the examples of zik, king onyeama of eke, etc.

they were noted for integration and working with yorubas.

note the quote on ilorin medicine men being brought to igboland.

feel free to prove me wrong though.

Only on NL people think Igbos hate Yorubas and vice versa. You people should separate internet from reality, unless that's your reality sha.

It's just fashion people. Fashion in Nigeria has changed. Anybody can wear anything.
Like I said before, it's of recent Yoruba's started wearing this kind of gele. Maybe madam Kofo was the inspiration. lol.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-ERIHla7jXjE/Tkw23rbkjRI/AAAAAAAAAD8/g7HbLy7EWCQ/s1600/gele-photoshoot-behind-the-scenes32.jpg[/img]

The colorful geles are a recent modification from not even Nigeria. Geles used to look more like the top picture, but they have been modified to look like this now. That is fashion. Yoruba did not start it. That is why in your weddings you were aso-oke and Igbo and south south wear them more in their weddings.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-PIGQP9aHqxY/Tkw210Qdp9I/AAAAAAAAAD4/RvjQJY1Hx74/s1600/Ade+Adetayo.png[/img]

Someone said Igbos called it Ichafu. That is why in most Igbo weddings and South South weddings they wear them more. You people should stop using internet to know the Nigerian culture, go to Naija. Everyone knows the stereotypical yoruba dressing is aso-oke, and south east to be the george and the gele. That is the Nigeria I grew up in. Let's not twist fact. I think Madam Kofo actually paved way for Yorubas to start embracing this type of gele.

See Dakore's wedding.

Igbo Wedding
[img]http://cdn.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Ngozi-Ekezie-and-Wale-Akintujoye-Bella-Naija002-400x600.jpg
[/img]

Even this paper-gele is becoming old school. What people wear now has this lacy texture to it in Nigeria.

This is a Yoruba girl getting married. Her sisters wore Igbo style of dressing, double wrapper george and lace top. The gele they are wearing is the modern modification of old school geles. It has a lacy texture. That is what is reigning now in Naija.

These material the girls on the side of the bride would pass for george.

On a closing note, Igbo people are not one dimensional, you can do whatever you like, wear whatever you like. It's all fashion. Afterall this is an Igbo couple on their wedding day, lol.

Same with Yoruba people. I'm sure I've seen the Indian style dressing in a couple of Yoruba weddings. grin
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:34pm On Nov 22, 2011
stillwater:

Only on NL people think Igbos hate Yorubas and vice versa. You people should separate internet from reality, unless that's your reality sha.

It's just fashion people. Fashion in Nigeria has changed. Anybody can wear anything.
Like I said before, it's of recent Yoruba's started wearing this kind of gele. Maybe madam Kofo was the inspiration. lol.

The colorful geles are a recent modification from not even Nigeria. Geles used to look more like the top picture, but they have been modified to look like this now. That is fashion. Yoruba did not start it. That is why in your weddings you were aso-oke and Igbo and south south wear them more in their weddings.

Someone said Igbos called it Ichafu. That is why in most Igbo weddings and South South weddings they wear them more. You people should stop using internet to know the Nigerian culture, go to Naija. Everyone knows the stereotypical yoruba dressing is aso-oke, and south east to be the george and the gele. That is the Nigeria I grew up in. Let's not twist fact. I think Madam Kofo actually paved way for Yorubas to start embracing this type of gele.

See Dakore's wedding.

Igbo Wedding

These material the girls on the side of the bride would pass for george.

On a closing note, Igbo people are not one dimensional, you can do whatever you like, wear whatever you like. It's all fashion. Afterall this is an Igbo couple on their wedding day, lol.

[img]http:///VOGUE-600x399.jpg[/img]

Same with Yoruba people. I'm sure I've seen the Indian style dressing in a couple of Yoruba weddings. grin

You are right my sister.

You look very pretty you know. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ChinenyeN(m): 1:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
I don't get the contention. First of all, none of these attires are "traditional"; they're 'neo-traditional'. Secondly, virtually all cultures in Nigeria/West Africa transformed to this "neo-traditional" that we're seeing now. Search "African Attire" online and it will give you results from different areas, displaying similar development into this 'neo-traditional'. Now, of course there might be some uniqueness from one culture to the next, and of course diffusion will occur from one culture to another. Aside from those small, individual details, no one can claim anything.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 1:58pm On Nov 22, 2011
alj_harem:

^^^^^^^^^^^^

those are aso okes anit they

by the way give me a link to this. because that is not yoruba

thanks smiley

You're right. What about this one:

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by farochron(m): 2:10pm On Nov 22, 2011
ok So from all that has been said I can conclude that Nigeria has got no attire of their own Yorubas, Igbos and hausas all stole their attire from other regions. Since no one is ready to accept that a particular attire is peculiar to the other tribe.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 2:21pm On Nov 22, 2011
ezeagu:

You're right. What about this one:

yes another material called aso fufu. back in the 17-18 th century

u can read more here

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rdDKeMEwPdMC&pg=PA341&dq=clothes+in+18th+century+Nigeria&hl=en&ei=SMfKTseUIoiv8AOa2JB3&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=clothes%20in%2018th%20century%20Nigeria&f=false

you can also read the igbo part there as well.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 22, 2011
farochron:

ok So from all that has been said I can conclude that Nigeria has got no attire of their own Yorubas, Igbos and hausas all stole their attire from other regions. Since no one is ready to accept that a particular attire is peculiar to the other tribe.

It is called revisionism, but we all know the truth.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee""

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.