Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,126 members, 7,829,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) - Culture (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) (97561 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / Wikipedia In Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:06am On Nov 23, 2011
PS: Fashion IS culture.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 12:07am On Nov 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

It's okay to call it "fashion".

It's not American influence that the global world now wears jeans or shirt over jeans. It's fashion.

No, in fact, Americans culture influenced the entire world just because people wear jeans. See the reasoning of your logic? I guess also because people wear neckties it means that every culture in the world was influenced by Croatia.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 12:10am On Nov 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

That's where you're mistaken. Fashion doesn't equal culture. Most of these things that youve displayed here are items of "Nigerian fashion" however they are not necessarily traditional attire.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:11am On Nov 23, 2011
odumchi:

No, in fact, Americans culture influenced the entire world just because people wear jeans. See the reasoning of your logic? I guess also because people wear neckties it means that every culture in the world was influenced by Croatia.

Ever  heardof the Western influence?
It's not part of Nigerian culture to wear jeans, it's a western influence. That's simple logic.

everybody wears jewelry. What makes it different is the type of jewels worn and what it means. The type of Necklace worn by Ijaws is not typically similar to that of the Yorubas.

The type of "earrings" worn by Kenyans, is not the type worn by americans.

Seems like you do not understand the meaning of culture.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:13am On Nov 23, 2011
odumchi:

That's where you're mistaken. Fashion doesn't equal culture. Most of these things that youve displayed here are items of "Nigerian fashion" however they are not necessarily traditional attire.

Once again, traditional fashion is culture.
A type of fashion exclusively worn by a certain community from generations to generations is culture. Fashion of group A might be someway similar to group B, it's still culture.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:16am On Nov 23, 2011
Just incase you're still a bit confused, nobody is saying yorubas invented Cloth.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by odumchi: 12:43am On Nov 23, 2011
As far as I'm concerned, I've yet to see any traditional attire on this thread. You're misunderstanding culture and fashion. Like I said, if you'd like to see the difference, refer to that video. It's an example of traditional attire- meaning attire our ancestors long ago wore.

I wouldn't suppose your ancestors wore gele headties, lace and etc.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 12:54am On Nov 23, 2011
odumchi:

As far as I'm concerned, I've yet to see any traditional attire on this thread. You're misunderstanding culture and fashion. Like I said, if you'd like to see the difference, refer to that video. It's an example of traditional attire- meaning attire our ancestors long ago wore.

I wouldn't suppose your ancestors wore gele headties, lace and etc.

As far as you're concerned. Let's leave it at that.

Refer to my previous post about Fashion being influenced by culture and cultural ideas, if you're still confused.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 12:55am On Nov 23, 2011
So, what name do you guys want?

Ondotunji (there's already an oyotunji) or ekotunji.
Oguntunji?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 1:00am On Nov 23, 2011
What range of titles are you interested in?

Do you want new ones specifically made or you'll be ok with current formats like oba, sao, olisa, etc.

Have you done any exploits to advance the yoruba cause- that could give you a knighthood befitting the occasion.
Eg Momasowa I
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by aljharem3: 1:05am On Nov 23, 2011
odumchi:

Chei !!!! see your logic

neckties is an ENGLISH THING. I mean the conventional ties not the croatian ones which is more or less a bandana tied around the neck.

they have culturally influenced us and the corporate world. The english only acknowledged the Croatia.

Lastly

Fashion is CULTURE.

Food is Culture

greeting is culture.

Haba, give it up already
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Jenifa1: 1:28am On Nov 23, 2011
odumchi,
you are confusing d definition of culture here.

culture is always influx. tradition is passed on from one generation to d next.  Americans or Europeans didn't wear jeans (pants) 200 years ago. But jeans are now markedly a part of western culture. it has also been passed down enough generations that they can be considered a western traditional wear.

I think Ileke-idi made it clear that more flamboyant gele is part of[i] modern[/i] yoruba culture. I'll put this to the fact that the (mostly imported) material used to make gele nowadays has more flexibility/malleability than the locally woven thick fabric (aso oke) used previously by our ancestors. So there is lots of opportunity for creativity with the modern gele.

check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI-xfeCrRf8
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by tpia5: 3:08am On Nov 23, 2011
Who is deleting my posts here.

I was just kidding with the last one- no need to take things serious.

Sorry if i stepped on a nerve but it really is strange seeing an igbo ceremony where everyone is wearing yoruba attire.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 4:58am On Nov 23, 2011
tpia@:

Who is deleting my posts here.

I was just kidding with the last one- no need to take things serious.

Sorry if i stepped on a nerve but it really is strange seeing an igbo ceremony where everyone is wearing yoruba attire.

Could you tell us the items they were wearing that were invented by the Yoruba?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:00am On Nov 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Ileke-IdI:

It's not part of Nigerian culture to wear jeans, it's a western influence. That's simple logic.

See "simple logic".
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:01am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

See "simple logic".

Very simple. Yet you cant grasp it.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:03am On Nov 23, 2011
Fashion is culture and can be brought through influence, yet Jeans is not part of Nigerian culture. How does that make sense? Nonsense ideas.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:05am On Nov 23, 2011
You just don't want to admit that grand bou bou's are as foreign to Nigeria as Jeans. If Nigerians modify Jeans into 50 ft head ties, it won't make denim a Nigerian cultural influence if others wear it.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Fashion is culture and can be brought through influence, yet Jeans is not part of Nigerian culture. How does that make sense? Nonsense ideas.

Fashion is culture. It's not a Nigerian culture, but a Western influence.
Not nonsense ideas (that's what the re tards say), just incapability in your part to graps simple logic.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:06am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

You just don't want to admit that grand bou bou's are as foreign to Nigeria as Jeans. If Nigerians modify Jeans into 50 ft head ties, it won't make denim a Nigerian cultural influence if others wear it.

mambo jumbo.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:06am On Nov 23, 2011
Is that Yoruba for denim?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:08am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Is that Yoruba for denim?

Are you asking about this? No it's Igbo for Ojukwu.

Ileke-IdI:

mambo jumbo.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:08am On Nov 23, 2011
Is he a Yoruba influence as well?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:09am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Is he a Yoruba influence as well?

He only wishes.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:11am On Nov 23, 2011
So you have a special word for him? He's that big?
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:12am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

So you have a special word for him? He's that big?

Ileke-IdI:

Are you asking about this? No it's Igbo for Ojukwu.

Not I.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:19am On Nov 23, 2011
Nah, I'm sure it's Yoruba.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:20am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Nah, I'm sure it's Yoruba.
You're also sure you make sense. That's where the problem lies.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:22am On Nov 23, 2011
Maybe you can't read properly or something. You should try s.c.h.o.o.l. "Fashion is culture. Jeans is not part of Nigerian culture".
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:23am On Nov 23, 2011
ezeagu:

Maybe you can't read properly or something. You should try s.c.h.o.o.l. "Fashion is culture. Jeans is not part of Nigerian culture".

Blame it on your incapability to understand "simple logic". Reading properly is not your only issue.
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by ezeagu(m): 5:26am On Nov 23, 2011
[center]

[size=18pt]Foreign culture in Nigeria.[/size][/center]
Re: Yoruba, Igbo And Acculturation (or Multiculture) by Nobody: 5:27am On Nov 23, 2011
LOL.  grin

Thought we could continue with our word play.  kiss

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (28) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / Yoruba "express You Self In Proverbs "owee"" / 'Manhood' Celebration In Edo, Topless Ladies Spotted At Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.